Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger 09:04 - Jun 30 with 2830 viewshype313

Makes quite a good point, the dynamics of going from being extremely busy for us week in week out, to then go to a club where he was only needed sporadically, the question is why he failed after us was maybe down to concentration from being alert for 90 minutes for us to infrequent moments in games at Arsenal.

I'm still surprised how his career tailed off after he left us.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 09:07 - Jun 30 with 2764 viewsjayessess

The year they signed him our defensive record was only 4 goals worse than theirs?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 09:08 - Jun 30 with 2759 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

That's nonsense though.

When he played for us we were either challenging at the top of the Champ, or finishing 5th in the Prem.

Apart from 1995, he didn't play for us as a struggling team.

So the idea of being a busy keeper behind a sh1t defence is rubbish.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 09:09 - Jun 30 with 2747 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 09:07 - Jun 30 by jayessess

The year they signed him our defensive record was only 4 goals worse than theirs?

This!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 09:21 - Jun 30 with 2674 viewsKropotkin123

I think it was more a case of having a whole Town and County, backing you as England's number one, to having to go out an prove himself to get support. Meshing with defenders who may be judging him, rather than defenders that think he was incredible.

I think that getting the best out of him was somewhat dependent on his confidence.

May be wrong of course, would be interesting to read a piece on what he thought of his career.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 09:30 - Jun 30 with 2589 viewstractorboy1978

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 09:21 - Jun 30 by Kropotkin123

I think it was more a case of having a whole Town and County, backing you as England's number one, to having to go out an prove himself to get support. Meshing with defenders who may be judging him, rather than defenders that think he was incredible.

I think that getting the best out of him was somewhat dependent on his confidence.

May be wrong of course, would be interesting to read a piece on what he thought of his career.

There's a great video on Youtube of him (hour or so long) talking very candidly with Joe Hart about his career.

He suffered with really bad confidence issues and said after leaving Ipswich that he started to visualise himself making mistakes before games. He had to speak to a professional. He also talked about how he missed Malcolm Webster who was like a friend as well as a coach and knew how to speak to him and approach it in training when he did make a mistake - no coincidence he had a fantastic loan spell at Southampton when Webster was coach to. He started wondering if he could be a good goalkeeper without Webster by his side.
Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 09:47 - Jun 30 with 2505 viewsKropotkin123

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 09:30 - Jun 30 by tractorboy1978

There's a great video on Youtube of him (hour or so long) talking very candidly with Joe Hart about his career.

He suffered with really bad confidence issues and said after leaving Ipswich that he started to visualise himself making mistakes before games. He had to speak to a professional. He also talked about how he missed Malcolm Webster who was like a friend as well as a coach and knew how to speak to him and approach it in training when he did make a mistake - no coincidence he had a fantastic loan spell at Southampton when Webster was coach to. He started wondering if he could be a good goalkeeper without Webster by his side.

Interesting, thank you. I'll give that a watch at some point over the summer.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 11:35 - Jun 30 with 2320 viewsIllinoisblue

Still baffled as to how we were told he went for 6million only to find out later the fee was only 2million

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 11:54 - Jun 30 with 2199 viewsbrazil1982

60 shots a match? I'll give that a miss thanks.
Login to get fewer ads

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 11:58 - Jun 30 with 2174 viewsMattinLondon

I don’t this he was well advised at all. He made his debut at 17 and when he left us he was used to playing week-in-week-out. Maybe wasn’t used to being on the subs bench.

Wasn’t it a case of his agent demanding a move for him? Seem to remember that Sheepshanks said that the agent was a nightmare to deal with.
Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 12:19 - Jun 30 with 2114 viewsvanmunt

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 11:58 - Jun 30 by MattinLondon

I don’t this he was well advised at all. He made his debut at 17 and when he left us he was used to playing week-in-week-out. Maybe wasn’t used to being on the subs bench.

Wasn’t it a case of his agent demanding a move for him? Seem to remember that Sheepshanks said that the agent was a nightmare to deal with.

Jonathan Barnett wasn't it, I vaguely remember the story the informed Arsenal about the release clause. That bloke is so low he could find room to free fall jumping out of a snakes ar*e.
Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 12:23 - Jun 30 with 2087 viewshype313

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 11:58 - Jun 30 by MattinLondon

He was going into their first team by all accounts as Seaman was leaving.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 12:28 - Jun 30 with 2069 viewsBlueandTruesince82

He never got any chance to bud rythem at Arsenal though did he, comming in for the odd game. Plus the wind taken out of his sails after Seaman did a U turn on retiring

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 12:41 - Jun 30 with 2016 viewschrismakin

Didnt he at one point fall out of his mums loft and he was Injured for a while.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 12:52 - Jun 30 with 1964 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Le Grove doesn't know what he is talking about.

Apart from the odd game, Wright never really had much to do as we controlled most games from 1997 - 2001, even in the Premier League.

There were many games where he might have one or two shots at him in a game.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 13:18 - Jun 30 with 1842 viewsWD19

I saw what I think was his league debut for them (away at Derby). He was great.

Think he threw in a wobble early in his home debut next game and the crowd got nervous because he was not David Seaman. It was downhill from there.
Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 13:56 - Jun 30 with 1746 viewsMattinLondon

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 12:41 - Jun 30 by chrismakin

Not sure about that, but I’m pretty certain that it was him who fell over a ladder that was left in the penalty box by the groundsman who put up the nets.

If I’m remembering this correctly, why didn’t he simply put the ladder behind the net or out of the way.
Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 15:09 - Jun 30 with 1657 viewsBlueNomad

"Big club" arrogance. I dislike these arrogant, but actually uninformed , supporters.
Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 15:17 - Jun 30 with 1618 viewsChrisd

Wish we had kept RW for that second season, he'd have had another season of experience in the PL and most likely we would've stayed up too. To step up and replace David Seaman was a tall order and big gloves to fill, he was an Arsenal legend, so naturally the media and fans would draw comparisons with the slightest error made by RW. No disrespect to us, but we don't get the scrutiny those bigger sides get and that's tough to keep performing under the microscope if things don't start off smoothly, every mistake is over analysed and you aren't used to it.

I'd like to know if RW could turn back time, would he still make that same move at that same time?
[Post edited 30 Jun 2021 15:22]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 16:02 - Jun 30 with 1533 viewsBloomBlue

I always thought he lost a lot of confidence after his headless chicken display in his first England match. He was always a great shot stopper although was a bit of a flapper on crosses and like a lot of keepers one mistake can affect them for the whole game. 2nd leg playoff against Bolton, he was too far off his line early in that match and they nearly scored, then flapped at the air for their first goal. Next 2 not much better just bad positioning by him, but then in the final he was more like the great shot stopper. At Arsenal I think his lack of games caused most of his problems, never had a chance to build up his confidence
Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 16:11 - Jun 30 with 1512 viewsChrisd

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 16:02 - Jun 30 by BloomBlue

I always thought he lost a lot of confidence after his headless chicken display in his first England match. He was always a great shot stopper although was a bit of a flapper on crosses and like a lot of keepers one mistake can affect them for the whole game. 2nd leg playoff against Bolton, he was too far off his line early in that match and they nearly scored, then flapped at the air for their first goal. Next 2 not much better just bad positioning by him, but then in the final he was more like the great shot stopper. At Arsenal I think his lack of games caused most of his problems, never had a chance to build up his confidence

Goalkeeping is certainly a position where confidence plays an important role.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 16:30 - Jun 30 with 1480 viewsEiffel78

Interesting thoughts on Plug from Arsenal blogger on 12:41 - Jun 30 by chrismakin

His own loft I believe, but that was after his move to Everton. That lead to them signing an experienced keeper as a stop gap while he recovered (want to say Nigel Martyn, but not 100% sure) and it was the other keeper's incredible form once Wright was fit that kept him on the bench there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024