Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tax Advice - Savings Income? 14:04 - Jun 30 with 687 viewsSouperJim

Wondered if any of the very knowledgeable folk on here might be able to help me.

HMRC have just sent me a lovely p800 refund letter, happy days. However, in the breakdown under income, aside from my wages from my employer, I have a line for "Savings Income" showing I have paid a few hundred pounds tax here.

I've had a bit of a google, and I can't work out what this relates to. I have no savings and as far as I'm concerned, my only taxable source of income is my wages.

Anybody have any idea what this might relate to, or how I would go about finding out?

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Short answer..... on 14:14 - Jun 30 with 629 viewsBloots

....it's an error and you should go back to HMRC ask them why and get it corrected (assuming you have no savings)

Longer answer, it could apply to savings held by dependants. Under settlement legislation income of over £100 is taxable on the parent.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Tax Advice - Savings Income? on 14:15 - Jun 30 with 626 viewsbluelagos

Nothing stopping you contacting the HMRC to ask.

If you do - get their number off the web - rather than the letter (just in case it is a scam)

BL

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Tax Advice - Savings Income? on 14:17 - Jun 30 with 615 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

As above, give them a call and ask. Very helpful indeed and sorted a recent issue for me where I was paying for two company cars instead of just one in no time at all.
Tax Advice - Savings Income? on 14:25 - Jun 30 with 592 viewsSouperJim

Tax Advice - Savings Income? on 14:15 - Jun 30 by bluelagos

Nothing stopping you contacting the HMRC to ask.

If you do - get their number off the web - rather than the letter (just in case it is a scam)

BL

It's deffo legit, but good point.

After doing some more digging I think this may relate to a PPI payout. The amount quoted on the p800 is actually out by 12p compared to the figure I have from the payout, but I can't think of anything else it could relate to and the figures are too close to be a coincidence.

Apparently I can fill out an R40 and claim this back too. I thought I had already done this, but I can't recall actually getting a refund, I'm wondering if you can't claim it back until after the end of the tax year? Or maybe I've just forgotten... but I wouldn't expect it to show on my p800 if I had already claimed it back.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024