Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Afghanistan 14:13 - Jul 5 with 1837 viewsnoggin

So coalition forces have left and The Taliban are regrouping. Civil war seems unavoidable. Trillions of dollars spent ad thousands of deaths, while millions of Americans (and British people) are living in poverty. Where is the sense?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Afghanistan on 14:17 - Jul 5 with 1817 viewsfooters

All foreign forces will be withdrawn in August and the country is, once again, split by various warlords and tribes. What on earth could possibly go wrong here?

"My dear boy, as long as you don't invade Afghanistan you'll be absolutely fine."

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Afghanistan on 14:18 - Jul 5 with 1812 viewschicoazul

Why were our lot even there in the first place? Pretty much all the 11 Sept bombers were from Saudi. It’s so weird!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Afghanistan on 14:22 - Jul 5 with 1776 viewsMediocre_Quick

Afghanistan on 14:18 - Jul 5 by chicoazul

Why were our lot even there in the first place? Pretty much all the 11 Sept bombers were from Saudi. It’s so weird!

If you think the war on terror was only to do with 9/11 then you're sorely mistaken and maybe need to have a proper look into why so many of our lads were sent over there, the war progressed from Iraq, to Afghanistan in the search of the heads of the varous terrorist organisations who committed more than just the various bombings and attacks world wide
Afghanistan on 14:24 - Jul 5 with 1766 viewschicoazul

Afghanistan on 14:22 - Jul 5 by Mediocre_Quick

If you think the war on terror was only to do with 9/11 then you're sorely mistaken and maybe need to have a proper look into why so many of our lads were sent over there, the war progressed from Iraq, to Afghanistan in the search of the heads of the varous terrorist organisations who committed more than just the various bombings and attacks world wide

Yes. It was a joke.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Afghanistan on 14:27 - Jul 5 with 1758 viewsTampa_Florida_Blue

Please read more than just the headlines. There is so much more than just 9/11 been going on for the past 20+ years
Afghanistan on 14:29 - Jul 5 with 1746 viewsfooters

Afghanistan on 14:27 - Jul 5 by Tampa_Florida_Blue

Please read more than just the headlines. There is so much more than just 9/11 been going on for the past 20+ years

Yeah, like having an idiot like Rumsfeld dictate US foreign policy.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Afghanistan on 14:37 - Jul 5 with 1725 viewshype313

Afghanistan on 14:17 - Jul 5 by footers

All foreign forces will be withdrawn in August and the country is, once again, split by various warlords and tribes. What on earth could possibly go wrong here?

"My dear boy, as long as you don't invade Afghanistan you'll be absolutely fine."

No one learned from what happened to the Russians in the 80's.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Afghanistan on 14:44 - Jul 5 with 1700 viewsGuthrum

Tho al-Qaeda as an organisation was based in Afghanistan and sheltered by the Taliban government at the time.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

[Redacted] on 15:00 - Jul 5 with 1629 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Afghanistan on 15:09 - Jul 5 with 1612 viewsfactual_blue

[Redacted] on 15:00 - Jul 5 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-1880?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Afghanistan on 15:11 - Jul 5 with 1604 viewshype313

Afghanistan on 15:09 - Jul 5 by factual_blue

Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-1880?

What was it like?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Afghanistan on 15:18 - Jul 5 with 1586 viewsfactual_blue

Afghanistan on 15:11 - Jul 5 by hype313

What was it like?

It was like the First Anglo-Afghan War (1839-1842): a lot of shooting, shouting and of course the Devils In Skirts

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Afghanistan on 15:20 - Jul 5 with 1577 viewsbluelagos

I suspect the war in Afghanistan will be a similar to the Vietnam war in that when people look back on it, the main question will be "Did you seriously think it was winnable?"

The motives for going in were clear at the time (Osama Bin Laden and Al Queda had just attacked America) but whether a 20 year war was ever justified and whether we are now safer because of it are hugely debatable points.

And that's before the subsequent knock on of the "war on terror" in Iraq/Syria.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

[Redacted] on 15:20 - Jul 5 with 1573 viewsvictorywilhappen

Afghanistan on 15:18 - Jul 5 by factual_blue

It was like the First Anglo-Afghan War (1839-1842): a lot of shooting, shouting and of course the Devils In Skirts

[Redacted]
Afghanistan on 15:42 - Jul 5 with 1546 viewsLord_Lucan

Opium

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Afghanistan on 19:01 - Jul 5 with 1436 viewsBlueBadger

Afghanistan on 14:27 - Jul 5 by Tampa_Florida_Blue

We'll yes, there's been oil and naked new imperialism as well.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Afghanistan on 09:19 - Jul 6 with 1256 viewsDarth_Koont

Afghanistan on 14:44 - Jul 5 by Guthrum

Tho al-Qaeda as an organisation was based in Afghanistan and sheltered by the Taliban government at the time.

That was Iraq and Saddam, shurly?

Al Qaeda were guarding the WMDs.

Pronouns: He/Him

Afghanistan on 12:21 - Jul 6 with 1199 viewsfergalsharkey

Afghanistan on 15:11 - Jul 5 by hype313

What was it like?

lost 4 nil and hardly had a shot all war.

Poll: Cook out?

Afghanistan on 12:24 - Jul 6 with 1189 viewsRadlett_blue

Afghanistan on 15:20 - Jul 5 by bluelagos

I suspect the war in Afghanistan will be a similar to the Vietnam war in that when people look back on it, the main question will be "Did you seriously think it was winnable?"

The motives for going in were clear at the time (Osama Bin Laden and Al Queda had just attacked America) but whether a 20 year war was ever justified and whether we are now safer because of it are hugely debatable points.

And that's before the subsequent knock on of the "war on terror" in Iraq/Syria.

George W. Bush's "War on Terror" was a completely misguided but predictable response to the 9/11 attack. The initial incursion into Afghanistan was justified by the optimistic idea that Al-Qaeda fighters & associated could be neutralised. Unsurprisingly, the Taliban refused to play ball so Bush decided to invade the country with the objective of regime change. Unsurprisingly, this proved a failure, unless the US & its allies were happy to occupy the country for the long term. We're now back at the inevitable conclusion of allowing the Afghans to sort out their own affairs. I'm sad that the UK felt the need to join in this (as well as many other ill-advised foreign US incursions) as part of the so-called "special relationship".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024