Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not everything back to normal then!! 18:32 - Jul 5 with 1651 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

This seems pretty poor to say the least....
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/jul/05/manchester-university-sparks-b

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Not everything back to normal then!! on 22:30 - Jul 5 with 1406 viewsEdmundo

Major institution takes advantage of the pandemic. People in powerful positions are going to keep doing this for as long as they can. They can use the "we're being responsible" line but that's not their true motivation.
Ask Matt Hancock.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Not everything back to normal then!! on 22:34 - Jul 5 with 1375 viewsbrazil1982

I work there. Online lectures to be permanent now with some exceptions. Attendance (viewing figures?) are far higher online than a physical lecture where in week 8 you’re lucky if 50% of the students can be bothered to turn up.
There aren’t that many large lecture theatres on campus anyway.
Not everything back to normal then!! on 22:47 - Jul 5 with 1323 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Not everything back to normal then!! on 22:34 - Jul 5 by brazil1982

I work there. Online lectures to be permanent now with some exceptions. Attendance (viewing figures?) are far higher online than a physical lecture where in week 8 you’re lucky if 50% of the students can be bothered to turn up.

Sounds like your admissions procedures need looking at!

Not everything back to normal then!! on 23:01 - Jul 5 with 1284 viewsZXBlue

Sounds like you have a massive problem with attendance then.

Take away the social and interactive aspect of attending lectures, talkign with others etc etc and you lose half of the university experience. Appalling.
Not everything back to normal then!! on 23:04 - Jul 5 with 1273 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Not everything back to normal then!! on 23:01 - Jul 5 by ZXBlue

Take away the social and interactive aspect of attending lectures, talkign with others etc etc and you lose half of the university experience. Appalling.

...and not forgetting popping in to the student union bar/canteen before and after...they might as well just stay at home and save the accommodation fees!

Not everything back to normal then!! on 23:09 - Jul 5 with 1251 views26_Paz

I was speaking to one of the younger lads at work today and he was saying how he quit uni simply because it’s such a massive rip off. The universities charge eye watering fees and think they can get away with teaching people for a handful of hours a week.

The Paz Man

Not everything back to normal then!! on 23:10 - Jul 5 with 1248 viewsjeera

Not everything back to normal then!! on 23:04 - Jul 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

...and not forgetting popping in to the student union bar/canteen before and after...they might as well just stay at home and save the accommodation fees!

Quite, it's probably a bit late to be asking for a refund on the accommodation as a great deal of it will be privately rented.

Potentially thousands down the drain there.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Not everything back to normal then!! on 23:13 - Jul 5 with 1236 viewsXYZ

Not everything back to normal then!! on 23:09 - Jul 5 by 26_Paz

I was speaking to one of the younger lads at work today and he was saying how he quit uni simply because it’s such a massive rip off. The universities charge eye watering fees and think they can get away with teaching people for a handful of hours a week.

I agree - your implied criticism of the tory government's running of the higher education sector - it's shameful.

Good to see you sticking it to them!
Login to get fewer ads

Not everything back to normal then!! on 02:38 - Jul 6 with 1101 viewsKropotkin123

Not everything back to normal then!! on 23:13 - Jul 5 by XYZ

I agree - your implied criticism of the tory government's running of the higher education sector - it's shameful.

Good to see you sticking it to them!

As much as the Conservatives seem to be on a mission to screw over the country, it was Labour that introduced tuition fees and raised them again in subsequent years.

Starmer says he'll abolish them... But believe it when I see it.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Not everything back to normal then!! on 09:16 - Jul 6 with 836 viewsPinewoodblue

Not everything back to normal then!! on 02:38 - Jul 6 by Kropotkin123

As much as the Conservatives seem to be on a mission to screw over the country, it was Labour that introduced tuition fees and raised them again in subsequent years.

Starmer says he'll abolish them... But believe it when I see it.

Be a bigger vote winner if he pledged to write off existing student loans.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Not everything back to normal then!! on 09:28 - Jul 6 with 800 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Not everything back to normal then!! on 23:01 - Jul 5 by ZXBlue

At my University, we made the decision to go back to face to face lectures, with little or no social distancing from September, back in March or April.

Though the last year, we've run a system of blended learning, with some lectures online, but at least one lecture a week for each year group being face to face but with masks and distancing.
We also had asynchronous teaching too, being both face to face and online at the same time, (which was a fking nightmare!).

But I completely agree with Brazil's point here around attendance, in that attendance, or views are typically higher online. And by the mid semester point you are looking at around 50% attendance face to face. It's important to realise there is little we can do about attendance, they are adults and are paying for their own education, we can't call their parents in or put them in detention.

The best we can do is make lectures engaging and exciting and encourage them to come in, but sadly a good number of 18 year olds would rather get up at 12 and watch Bargain Hunt than come to Uni for a 9:15 lecture.

However, completely agree with the OP, thats pretty poor from Manchester, seems that those wanting to engage with their studies are being penalised for those that can't be bothered.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 10:26]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Not everything back to normal then!! on 09:29 - Jul 6 with 793 viewsWD19

Yes, and I 'attend' a great deal more global meetings and seminars through work too.

Most of those I 'attend' from the end of the garden, 30m safely socially distanced from the laptop whilst enjoying a cup of tea.
Not everything back to normal then!! on 09:38 - Jul 6 with 773 viewsCotty

Not everything back to normal then!! on 09:28 - Jul 6 by Cheltenham_Blue

At my University, we made the decision to go back to face to face lectures, with little or no social distancing from September, back in March or April.

Though the last year, we've run a system of blended learning, with some lectures online, but at least one lecture a week for each year group being face to face but with masks and distancing.
We also had asynchronous teaching too, being both face to face and online at the same time, (which was a fking nightmare!).

But I completely agree with Brazil's point here around attendance, in that attendance, or views are typically higher online. And by the mid semester point you are looking at around 50% attendance face to face. It's important to realise there is little we can do about attendance, they are adults and are paying for their own education, we can't call their parents in or put them in detention.

The best we can do is make lectures engaging and exciting and encourage them to come in, but sadly a good number of 18 year olds would rather get up at 12 and watch Bargain Hunt than come to Uni for a 9:15 lecture.

However, completely agree with the OP, thats pretty poor from Manchester, seems that those wanting to engage with their studies are being penalised for those that can't be bothered.
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 10:26]

Asynchronous face-to-face? I think you've mistyped there!
Not everything back to normal then!! on 09:40 - Jul 6 with 765 viewschicoazul

Not everything back to normal then!! on 09:16 - Jul 6 by Pinewoodblue

Be a bigger vote winner if he pledged to write off existing student loans.

Student loans are a great way to pay for higher education, if we’re going to continue to want people to all go to Uni. You don’t pay them back until you earn a certain amount, they don’t show on your credit score (I believe), and they are relatively cheap. Loan is a bad word for them, it should be “higher Ed tax contributions” or something.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Not everything back to normal then!! on 09:58 - Jul 6 with 718 viewsgiant_stow

I wonder if some providors will offer ceritifcation and marking only toi keep the costs down, leaving students to learn by themselves? Maybe this is already happenning?

Just seems an obvious way to avoid these huge fees Unis charge now: do the learning yourself and just get them to mark it.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Not everything back to normal then!! on 10:10 - Jul 6 with 680 viewsPinewoodblue

Not everything back to normal then!! on 09:40 - Jul 6 by chicoazul

Student loans are a great way to pay for higher education, if we’re going to continue to want people to all go to Uni. You don’t pay them back until you earn a certain amount, they don’t show on your credit score (I believe), and they are relatively cheap. Loan is a bad word for them, it should be “higher Ed tax contributions” or something.

Student loans are basically a paper exercise that reduces government spending. The money owed balances out the money lent.

To many the benefit of a university education has nothing to do with earnings power.

Cost of university education could be reduced if courses for less demanding subjects were reduced to two years.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Not everything back to normal then!! on 10:48 - Jul 6 with 626 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Not everything back to normal then!! on 10:10 - Jul 6 by Pinewoodblue

Student loans are basically a paper exercise that reduces government spending. The money owed balances out the money lent.

To many the benefit of a university education has nothing to do with earnings power.

Cost of university education could be reduced if courses for less demanding subjects were reduced to two years.

Define 'less demanding'

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Not everything back to normal then!! on 11:25 - Jul 6 with 576 viewsbrazil1982

Not everything back to normal then!! on 23:04 - Jul 5 by BanksterDebtSlave

Many students prefer an online lecture. We already provide the lecture as a podcast afterwards. get out of bed early on a Monday or watch a podcast?

Huge difficulties in timetabling. Would students prefer a [live then recorded] lecture to be available, or have to go into a lecture theatre for 1 hour at 4pm on a Friday?

We still have face to face tutorials, labs, etc.

Other universities are doing this too.

There is a remarkable lack of drinking after the lecture culture now too.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024