Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mask debate 09:06 - Jul 6 with 1845 viewsKeno

do you think you'll be doing this over the couple of weeks?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Mask debate on 09:11 - Jul 6 with 1367 viewsSwansea_Blue

Do you think it's important to mass debate the mask debate?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mask debate on 09:21 - Jul 6 with 1337 viewsKeno

Mask debate on 09:11 - Jul 6 by Swansea_Blue

Do you think it's important to mass debate the mask debate?

I think its a subject that people need firm guidance on

Mask debate on 09:23 - Jul 6 with 1332 viewsEwan_Oozami

Mask debate on 09:21 - Jul 6 by Keno

I think its a subject that people need firm guidance on

We need to get a grip of ourselves and come clean...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Mask debate on 09:25 - Jul 6 with 1316 viewsbluelagos

I knew my little finger would come in handy.

* For pulling my mask up if it slips under my nose :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Mask debate on 09:26 - Jul 6 with 1315 viewsKeno

Mask debate on 09:25 - Jul 6 by bluelagos

I knew my little finger would come in handy.

* For pulling my mask up if it slips under my nose :-)

is "my little finger" your euphemism for your penis?

Cos if you use it to pull your mask over your nose thats very impressive!!
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 9:27]

Mask debate on 09:27 - Jul 6 with 1312 viewsKeno

Mask debate on 09:23 - Jul 6 by Ewan_Oozami

We need to get a grip of ourselves and come clean...

I do wonder if the government might pull back on this one

Mask debate on 09:30 - Jul 6 with 1299 viewsBloomBlue

I think they're shot too early on this one.

They need to hold back a little or it will get messy
Mask debate on 09:37 - Jul 6 with 1281 viewsWD19

I suspect we will see a lot of people doing it on here.
Login to get fewer ads

Mask debate on 09:45 - Jul 6 with 1260 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mask debate on 09:26 - Jul 6 by Keno

is "my little finger" your euphemism for your penis?

Cos if you use it to pull your mask over your nose thats very impressive!!
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 9:27]

I always thought he was a clever dick

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mask debate on 09:55 - Jul 6 with 1245 viewsZurichBlue

Yesterday the UK had the third highest new cases in the world and the numbers are still growing daily with many experts predicting 50-70,000 by the end of the month. So the government decides to lift all control measure and rely on the good sense of the British people!! Hospital admissions are up 24% over the past 7 days and though less people are dying of Covid, thank God, we're in a parlous situation. Contrast this with Australia who have localised lockdowns by city for 2 weeks at a time when there is an outbreak of a couple of dozen new cases.
A massive mistake to remove all remaining control measures in my humble opinion ...
Mask debate on 10:09 - Jul 6 with 1217 viewsEly_Blue

Mask debate on 09:55 - Jul 6 by ZurichBlue

Yesterday the UK had the third highest new cases in the world and the numbers are still growing daily with many experts predicting 50-70,000 by the end of the month. So the government decides to lift all control measure and rely on the good sense of the British people!! Hospital admissions are up 24% over the past 7 days and though less people are dying of Covid, thank God, we're in a parlous situation. Contrast this with Australia who have localised lockdowns by city for 2 weeks at a time when there is an outbreak of a couple of dozen new cases.
A massive mistake to remove all remaining control measures in my humble opinion ...

Remind me of how many people in aus are vaccinated and how that vaccination programme is going?

24% sounds like a lot if you show it as a %, however a 24% increase on 10 is just another 2.4 people, that isn’t quite so scary now is it?

I think we need to live with high numbers of people testing positive as long as the nhs doesn’t become overwhelmed and deaths rise exponentially

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Mask debate on 10:18 - Jul 6 with 1192 viewsdelias_cheesy_flaps

Mask debate on 10:09 - Jul 6 by Ely_Blue

Remind me of how many people in aus are vaccinated and how that vaccination programme is going?

24% sounds like a lot if you show it as a %, however a 24% increase on 10 is just another 2.4 people, that isn’t quite so scary now is it?

I think we need to live with high numbers of people testing positive as long as the nhs doesn’t become overwhelmed and deaths rise exponentially

Quite correct, it's no good spouting % increases without numbers as it means diddly-squat. As for the masks I can't wait to ditch the bloody things and leave it to user preference.

Blog: This Might Rub You Up the Wrong Way, it Might Not!

Mask debate on 10:21 - Jul 6 with 1179 viewsStokieBlue

Mask debate on 10:18 - Jul 6 by delias_cheesy_flaps

Quite correct, it's no good spouting % increases without numbers as it means diddly-squat. As for the masks I can't wait to ditch the bloody things and leave it to user preference.

In practice that means you're unwilling to protect others but have no problem if they choose to protect you.

It's your choice but just want to ensure everyone understands the reality of their decision.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Mask debate on 10:23 - Jul 6 with 1169 viewsEly_Blue

Mask debate on 10:18 - Jul 6 by delias_cheesy_flaps

I’d argue that most people will ditch masks but also most people I have encountered don’t know the real reason for wearing masks.

Most would probably say “I’m wearing a mask so I don’t catch covid” as they think it stops them from catching it from people, where the reality is that it is to prevent them from spreading it to others.

I think the anti vaccine, anti mask brigade are amongst the biggest culprits of this miss interpretation of the reasoning

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Mask debate on 10:24 - Jul 6 with 1169 viewsPowrigan

Just let people choose whether or not they want to wear a mask and then respect each others decisions.

No point arguing over it on here.
Mask debate on 10:38 - Jul 6 with 1129 viewsusm

Mask debate on 10:24 - Jul 6 by Powrigan

Just let people choose whether or not they want to wear a mask and then respect each others decisions.

No point arguing over it on here.

You'll never pull it off

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Mask debate on 10:44 - Jul 6 with 1114 viewsWeWereZombies

This is a serious issue and you are trying to palm us off with this take on it?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

3rd in terms of new cases yesterday..... on 10:51 - Jul 6 with 1098 viewsBloots

Mask debate on 09:55 - Jul 6 by ZurichBlue

....yep.

37th in terms of serious/critical cases.

53rd in terms of deaths (RIP)

Balance.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

3rd in terms of new cases yesterday..... on 10:55 - Jul 6 with 1080 viewsSitfcB

3rd in terms of new cases yesterday..... on 10:51 - Jul 6 by Bloots

....yep.

37th in terms of serious/critical cases.

53rd in terms of deaths (RIP)

Balance.

And how many more thousands of tests are we conducting compared to everyone else? A lot more!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

15.8 tests per thousand..... on 11:01 - Jul 6 with 1061 viewsBloots

3rd in terms of new cases yesterday..... on 10:55 - Jul 6 by SitfcB

And how many more thousands of tests are we conducting compared to everyone else? A lot more!

...Germany 1.2
France 3.6
Spain 1.8
Italy 2.8
Switz 2.2
Portugal 5.4
Belgium 4.4
Holland 0.7

etc, etc.

15.8 tests per thousand..... on 11:10 - Jul 6 with 1031 viewsStokieBlue

15.8 tests per thousand..... on 11:01 - Jul 6 by Bloots

...Germany 1.2
France 3.6
Spain 1.8
Italy 2.8
Switz 2.2
Portugal 5.4
Belgium 4.4
Holland 0.7

etc, etc.

Thanks for posting the actual numbers.

So according to that if you adjust for the tests being done then cases for yesterday for a select few are:

Germany: 6719
France: 3493
Portugal: 4339

UK: 27100

So after normalising for the number of tests done we have about 400% more cases than Germany and it's rising far quicker than in any other country. The government were citing possibly 100000 cases a day by the 19th July.

Thus it's not all explained by testing and people need to actually look at the data rather than going with gut feels on these things.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

3rd in terms of new cases yesterday..... on 11:14 - Jul 6 with 1018 viewsWeWereZombies

3rd in terms of new cases yesterday..... on 10:55 - Jul 6 by SitfcB

I know its not wise to mention Denmark at the moment but...

Tests per one million of population

Denmark 12,072,305
Gibraltar 8,375,375
Cyprus 6.629,354
Faeroe Islands 6,422,712
Austria 6,324,107
United Arab Emirates 5,903,239
Bermuda 5,264,260
Luxembourg 4,886,875
Channel Islands 3,209,684
United Kingdom 3,190,695

Although it is worth pointing out that we have a population more than six times the size of even the most populous (UAE) the nine states above us in the table:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
[Post edited 6 Jul 2021 11:28]

The figures quoted are.... on 11:25 - Jul 6 with 991 viewsBloots

15.8 tests per thousand..... on 11:10 - Jul 6 by StokieBlue

Thanks for posting the actual numbers.

So according to that if you adjust for the tests being done then cases for yesterday for a select few are:

Germany: 6719
France: 3493
Portugal: 4339

UK: 27100

So after normalising for the number of tests done we have about 400% more cases than Germany and it's rising far quicker than in any other country. The government were citing possibly 100000 cases a day by the 19th July.

Thus it's not all explained by testing and people need to actually look at the data rather than going with gut feels on these things.

SB

....rolling 7 day averages and not all countries release the data on a daily basis.

So you can't really compare averages with specific days.

I genuinely think that the infection numbers should be ignored in the large part.

There's far more to gained by looking at Hospitalisation/ICU/Deaths numbers.

For instance, last time we were averaging 25,000 cases a day on an upward curve (which has been twice) we were seeing around 420 deaths a day,, we are currently looking at 18.

That's a 95% drop.

Again difficult because a lot of our neighbours don't publish the data as regularly/in depth as we do, but hospitalisation and ICU figures show a similar story with our neighbours currently (most recent data) seeing a far higher hospitalisation/ICU rate than we are, despite the hugely different infections numbers.

15.8 tests per thousand..... on 11:29 - Jul 6 with 970 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

15.8 tests per thousand..... on 11:01 - Jul 6 by Bloots

...Germany 1.2
France 3.6
Spain 1.8
Italy 2.8
Switz 2.2
Portugal 5.4
Belgium 4.4
Holland 0.7

etc, etc.

Well quite. One could even argue we have a world beating testing programme… 👀

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

The figures quoted are.... on 11:38 - Jul 6 with 956 viewsWeWereZombies

The figures quoted are.... on 11:25 - Jul 6 by Bloots

....rolling 7 day averages and not all countries release the data on a daily basis.

So you can't really compare averages with specific days.

I genuinely think that the infection numbers should be ignored in the large part.

There's far more to gained by looking at Hospitalisation/ICU/Deaths numbers.

For instance, last time we were averaging 25,000 cases a day on an upward curve (which has been twice) we were seeing around 420 deaths a day,, we are currently looking at 18.

That's a 95% drop.

Again difficult because a lot of our neighbours don't publish the data as regularly/in depth as we do, but hospitalisation and ICU figures show a similar story with our neighbours currently (most recent data) seeing a far higher hospitalisation/ICU rate than we are, despite the hugely different infections numbers.

This is a grim way of looking at it but it is a grim business - we have to ask who is left to die?

There is an argument that we are in such a bad position in the deaths per capita statistics (seventh worst) because of the relatively good longevity of our population compared to many other states. The first waves of Covid-19 hit us hard because we had a higher number of vulnerable elderly. We then have to ask why, for example, this was not the same for Japan - where we could have expected the death rate to be even higher given their density of population and slightly higher life expectancy.

A lot of questions arise even from this one aspect of the pandemic but my concern going forward is that we shall have an ongoing rate of morbidity that does not look as high as the first eighteen months of data but is just as punishing as the deaths will be spread out over a longer period of time due to a reduced number of vulnerable people left to succumb and a slow but sure attrition of the younger, stronger but less cautious sections of the population.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024