Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) 14:40 - Jul 7 with 8259 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Per EADT
[Post edited 7 Jul 2021 14:40]
Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:22 - Jul 7 with 1235 viewsPhilTWTD

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:18 - Jul 7 by JDB23

Depends what the terms he wants are. If it was just a small increase on the money side of things then yes it does seem an odd one from the club. If, as has been reported, he's demanded first team status then I’m not surprised it’s come to this.

It's just a matter of a few hundred quid, from what I gather.
Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:23 - Jul 7 with 1226 viewsjayessess

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:20 - Jul 7 by dirtyboy

He wanted to stay, but didn't.

There's only one motivator for the vast majority of people and that's money.

We didn't offer what he or his agent deemed appropriate, but what's appropriate when a player hasn't been in the first team?

The manager and team must make a business desicion at that point in time. We see an academy prospect "one of our own" Cook and his team see just another player and must calculate the worth of that player to them and apply that pragmatically.

Do I like it? No, but it is what it is.

Shame he didn't accept the offer if he did want to stay, was it really that derisory?

Players are worth whatever someone else is going to pay them surely? If every time we get a player of GIbbs' ability we decide we don't want to pay the going rate, what's left?

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:25 - Jul 7 with 1203 viewschrismakin

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:23 - Jul 7 by jayessess

Players are worth whatever someone else is going to pay them surely? If every time we get a player of GIbbs' ability we decide we don't want to pay the going rate, what's left?

Who's to say we haven't offered the going rate. if he wants more then we are within our right to stick to what ever we were happy to pay for his level.
IF however the rumours are true about demands of first team selection etc, then of course, jog on

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:28 - Jul 7 with 1200 viewsJDB23

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:22 - Jul 7 by PhilTWTD

That’s pretty insane then, I’m all for the club being sensible with finances but come on.
Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:30 - Jul 7 with 1188 viewsjayessess

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:25 - Jul 7 by chrismakin

Who's to say we haven't offered the going rate. if he wants more then we are within our right to stick to what ever we were happy to pay for his level.
IF however the rumours are true about demands of first team selection etc, then of course, jog on

It's got nothing to do with whether we're "within our rights" though. We're in competition with other clubs! If Norwich will pay him £Xp/w, then X is the going rate for a player of his level.
[Post edited 7 Jul 2021 16:30]

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:32 - Jul 7 with 1173 viewsMrTown

It is hard to comment as we aren't privy to the details of the negotiation.

We may have offered him terms which we thought were very reasonable for a young lad, who may be deemed a talent but hasn't done anything in football yet. There may have been demands, they may have wanted guarantees, we don't simply know.

As I said a week or so ago, I take 'he wanted to stay' with a pinch of salt. If negotiations weren't too far away, and he turned down the deal, did he really want to stay?

Good luck to the lad, so young, so much to learn and so far to go yet, hope he has a good career.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:37 - Jul 7 with 1144 viewsjayessess

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:32 - Jul 7 by MrTown

It is hard to comment as we aren't privy to the details of the negotiation.

We may have offered him terms which we thought were very reasonable for a young lad, who may be deemed a talent but hasn't done anything in football yet. There may have been demands, they may have wanted guarantees, we don't simply know.

As I said a week or so ago, I take 'he wanted to stay' with a pinch of salt. If negotiations weren't too far away, and he turned down the deal, did he really want to stay?

Good luck to the lad, so young, so much to learn and so far to go yet, hope he has a good career.

I hear "hope he has a good career" on here a lot. Personally, I'll be fuming if we've cleared out all these young lads and they have great careers somewhere else, when we could've been the ones to benefit from nurturing their ability.

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:39 - Jul 7 with 1132 viewsVic

So it was about money and not a place place in the 1st team squad?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Login to get fewer ads

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:40 - Jul 7 with 1129 viewsPhilTWTD

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:28 - Jul 7 by JDB23

That’s pretty insane then, I’m all for the club being sensible with finances but come on.

Agree, not sure why it's been allowed to get to this situation. Perhaps the matter might be revisited with other clubs getting closer to signing him. Town do have to agree compensation with that other club, of course.
Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:41 - Jul 7 with 1116 viewsDanTheMan

FGS.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:44 - Jul 7 with 1084 viewsMrTown

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:37 - Jul 7 by jayessess

I hear "hope he has a good career" on here a lot. Personally, I'll be fuming if we've cleared out all these young lads and they have great careers somewhere else, when we could've been the ones to benefit from nurturing their ability.

I'm sure he would have been nurtured here well, and I am sure he would have had chances when the time was right.

He was offered a deal, he chose not to sign it - take the tribunal fee and move on. Isn't the first and won't be the last.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:45 - Jul 7 with 1085 viewsHARRY10

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:18 - Jul 7 by JDB23

Depends what the terms he wants are. If it was just a small increase on the money side of things then yes it does seem an odd one from the club. If, as has been reported, he's demanded first team status then I’m not surprised it’s come to this.

I very much doubt it is solely about money.

Some seem to forget what a PL club can offer at that age. He will be playing at a higher U23's level, and the coaching and development set up will be far superior to what any L1 club can offer, or afford.

If he has been asking to be part of the first team set up, then that is a measure of him not believing that our U23s offer the level of challenge he needs. The Papa Johns trophy points to where PL clubs U21s are in relation to our first team.

It all points to Evans not being willing to fund a Cat 1 acadamy, whatever reason he gave for failing to achieve that status.
Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:50 - Jul 7 with 1055 viewsmarchy

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:44 - Jul 7 by MrTown

I'm sure he would have been nurtured here well, and I am sure he would have had chances when the time was right.

He was offered a deal, he chose not to sign it - take the tribunal fee and move on. Isn't the first and won't be the last.

Yes, one should definitely never try to learn lessons.
Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:51 - Jul 7 with 1048 viewsRadioOrwell

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 14:51 - Jul 7 by LankHenners

The club should be doing everything it reasonably can do to keep its best young talent.

How do you know it didn't do that ?
Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:53 - Jul 7 with 1042 viewsjayessess

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:44 - Jul 7 by MrTown

We're not operating in a vacuum, we're supposed to be competing with other clubs!

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:54 - Jul 7 with 1031 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:51 - Jul 7 by RadioOrwell

How do you know it didn't do that ?

Because it's been documented that they haven't. Make an offer a few months ago, which was rejected. Then do nothing until last week, when they present *the same offer*.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:59 - Jul 7 with 995 viewsRadioOrwell

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:54 - Jul 7 by JammyDodgerrr

Because it's been documented that they haven't. Make an offer a few months ago, which was rejected. Then do nothing until last week, when they present *the same offer*.

"everything it reasonably can do"

Again, how do you know it didn't ?
Admit it, you are guessing.
Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 17:10 - Jul 7 with 950 viewschrismakin

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:54 - Jul 7 by JammyDodgerrr

Does that not raise the question then that it wasn't all about money, why go back in with the same terms if already rejected....

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 18:24 - Jul 7 with 836 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 17:10 - Jul 7 by chrismakin

Does that not raise the question then that it wasn't all about money, why go back in with the same terms if already rejected....

Because either we thought we would be clever and use the time delay to get it on our terms, or we have mismanaged the situation.

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 18:27 - Jul 7 with 832 viewsDanTheMan

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 16:59 - Jul 7 by RadioOrwell

"everything it reasonably can do"

Again, how do you know it didn't ?
Admit it, you are guessing.

If we're trying to sign someone like Celina (who I imagine would be on a fair old wedge) then a few hundred quid a week won't be an insurmountable sum.

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 18:31 - Jul 7 with 812 viewschrismakin

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 18:24 - Jul 7 by JammyDodgerrr

Because either we thought we would be clever and use the time delay to get it on our terms, or we have mismanaged the situation.

Or it's been managed correctly and they offered what they felt was right

I appreciate it could be either way, right or wrong of the club. But I do find that when ever it comes to an academy player whether its Gibbs, or Bishop, or Downes etc the club is wrong to 'let them go'

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 18:38 - Jul 7 with 790 viewsRadioOrwell

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 18:27 - Jul 7 by DanTheMan

If we're trying to sign someone like Celina (who I imagine would be on a fair old wedge) then a few hundred quid a week won't be an insurmountable sum.

In your opinion, which, it turns out is not worth a hill of beans.
Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 18:42 - Jul 7 with 775 viewsHARRY10

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 18:31 - Jul 7 by chrismakin

Or it's been managed correctly and they offered what they felt was right

I appreciate it could be either way, right or wrong of the club. But I do find that when ever it comes to an academy player whether its Gibbs, or Bishop, or Downes etc the club is wrong to 'let them go'

You haven't explained how thee club could make him sign a new contract

Even if we could offer the same wages, we cannot offer the same level of U23 football, or Cat 1 training facilities/coaching.

Blame Evans for allowing us to slide so far, but there is virtually nothing the new set can do about the latter two positions.
Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 19:00 - Jul 7 with 734 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 18:42 - Jul 7 by HARRY10

You haven't explained how thee club could make him sign a new contract

Even if we could offer the same wages, we cannot offer the same level of U23 football, or Cat 1 training facilities/coaching.

Blame Evans for allowing us to slide so far, but there is virtually nothing the new set can do about the latter two positions.

If Phil is right, and he usually is, the difference is in a few hundred quid a week and he stays. None of the latter stuff is relevant.

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 19:09 - Jul 7 with 717 viewsDanTheMan

Liam Gibbs to norwich... (n/t) on 18:38 - Jul 7 by RadioOrwell

In your opinion, which, it turns out is not worth a hill of beans.

Oh, get you.

Actually I'm going off what Phil has said. He tends to be pretty reliable, runs this website called TWTD. You might have heard of it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024