Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate 09:04 - Jul 10 with 3353 viewshype313

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:07 - Jul 10 with 2592 viewsPendejo

Ice Cream vans and pizza restaurants beware!

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:07 - Jul 10 with 2595 viewsZXBlue

An example of something one is not supposed to say but which is obviously true. For some in the stadium, Germany's past with us would ahve been part of their mindset.
Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:08 - Jul 10 with 2573 viewsfooters

Jesus. Some people in this country really are stuck in a timewarp, aren't they? Embarrassing comment.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:13 - Jul 10 with 2530 viewsFunge

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:08 - Jul 10 by footers

Jesus. Some people in this country really are stuck in a timewarp, aren't they? Embarrassing comment.

I mean, a little later in the same article he states that

'“That inclusivity is really important for us because I think that is what modern England is,” Southgate said. “We know it hasn’t always been the case and there are historic reasons for that. But that level of tolerance and inclusion is what we have to be about moving forward.”

But never mind all that, eh?
Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:15 - Jul 10 with 2484 viewsfooters

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:13 - Jul 10 by Funge

I mean, a little later in the same article he states that

'“That inclusivity is really important for us because I think that is what modern England is,” Southgate said. “We know it hasn’t always been the case and there are historic reasons for that. But that level of tolerance and inclusion is what we have to be about moving forward.”

But never mind all that, eh?

Didn't read the full article, tbf. Good on him for those words.

Still, this pathetic 'rivalry' some fans have with Germany is ridiculous. About time we moved on.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2021 9:16]

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:17 - Jul 10 with 2461 viewsFunge

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:15 - Jul 10 by footers

Still, this pathetic 'rivalry' some fans have with Germany is ridiculous. About time we moved on.

Fair play.
Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:24 - Jul 10 with 2404 viewsKeno

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:07 - Jul 10 by ZXBlue

An example of something one is not supposed to say but which is obviously true. For some in the stadium, Germany's past with us would ahve been part of their mindset.

"Germany's past with us would ahve been part of their mindset"

you mean that the fact were invaded by saxons and are by and large 'the same people'?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:28 - Jul 10 with 2359 viewsbluejacko

Moved on to where?
So now it’s not British to have rivals anymore,what about tat lot up the road
Let’s all become happy clappers and be very ‘nice’ people🙄
Login to get fewer ads

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:36 - Jul 10 with 2311 viewsfooters

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:28 - Jul 10 by bluejacko

Moved on to where?

Some time after 1945? You know German fans don't reciprocate this rivalry, right? It's pointless and stupid. Some Brits really need to get over their odd obsession with WW2 and the whole 'ten German bombers' b0llocks - it's pitiful.

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:43 - Jul 10 with 2259 viewsBryanPlug

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:28 - Jul 10 by bluejacko

Moved on to where?

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:45 - Jul 10 with 2229 viewsgtsb1966

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:36 - Jul 10 by footers

Some time after 1945? You know German fans don't reciprocate this rivalry, right? It's pointless and stupid. Some Brits really need to get over their odd obsession with WW2 and the whole 'ten German bombers' b0llocks - it's pitiful.

You would rather everyone had a vuvuzela wouldn't you or maybe you would rather we were like our American friends eh.
Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:49 - Jul 10 with 2187 viewsBluespeed225

Maybe he meant 66’, 70’, 72’, 90’, 96’, 10’?
Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:52 - Jul 10 with 2166 viewsclive_baker

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:24 - Jul 10 by Keno

"Germany's past with us would ahve been part of their mindset"

you mean that the fact were invaded by saxons and are by and large 'the same people'?

Guess you could say the same about Denmark.

‘That one was for St Edmund. 1,200 years of hurt, you Viking c****’.

Ridiculous!

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:55 - Jul 10 with 2143 viewsbluejacko

Really?
Have you been in Germany when England play them? I have and the rivalry was most definitely there.
Not sure why WW2 has anything to do with it. They just assume they have a better football team than ours. Not this time though 😀😀😀

Have the Scots got to move on as well then?
[Post edited 10 Jul 2021 10:00]
Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 10:14 - Jul 10 with 2049 viewseireblue

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:43 - Jul 10 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Yea, ‘cause when children are learning football and how to compete, their grandparents really needed to have burned down a rival school, in order that their parents are able to support them properly, and teach them about competition. Without invoking the school burning wars kids would just grow up soft.

What do we want, more violent acts, so the next generation can hold a defensive shape and be better at receiving a ball on the half turn for counter attackers.

Yea, see when you explain it like that it all makes sense, Pluggy.
Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 10:16 - Jul 10 with 2030 viewsbluejacko

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 10:14 - Jul 10 by eireblue

Yea, ‘cause when children are learning football and how to compete, their grandparents really needed to have burned down a rival school, in order that their parents are able to support them properly, and teach them about competition. Without invoking the school burning wars kids would just grow up soft.

What do we want, more violent acts, so the next generation can hold a defensive shape and be better at receiving a ball on the half turn for counter attackers.

Oh dear here we go🙄
ITS FOOTBALL not full scale war!
Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 11:57 - Jul 10 with 1883 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 10:14 - Jul 10 by eireblue

Fortunately there are plenty of contemporary issues for fans to get their teeth into!
https://www.fanchants.com/football-songs/england-chants/we-all-voted-yes/

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 12:21 - Jul 10 with 1799 viewsJ2BLUE

Perfect example of what I was talking about yesterday. Some people are decent and tolerant but make the odd daft comment or don't feel the need to let their desire for others to see how tolerant they are consume them.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 12:27 - Jul 10 with 1770 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Give over Footers, sport is about rivalry......let's move on from that Norwich rivalry too shall we? Expect to see city love in on here going forward for the Jolly good job they've done.

Rivalries are the spice, the drama, the adversity.

All friendly of course, not suggesting we all need read from the Millwall book of politics but still..

People have always sung songs about days of glory.... since man has stood shoulder to shoulder with his brothers in the shield wall we have sung about illustrious victories and vanquished foes......it's brings us together.

Or we could sit there and shout bravo as a fine header bests our GK.

[Post edited 10 Jul 2021 12:34]

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 12:29 - Jul 10 with 1748 viewsJ2BLUE

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 12:27 - Jul 10 by BlueandTruesince82

Give over Footers, sport is about rivalry......let's move on from that Norwich rivalry too shall we? Expect to see city love in on here going forward for the Jolly good job they've done.

All friendly of course, not suggesting we all need read from the Millwall book of politics but still..

People have always sung songs about days of glory.... since man has stood shoulder to shoulder with his brothers in the shield wall we have sung about illustrious victories and vanquished foes......it's brings us together.

This. Whenever I think of Germany the war doesn't enter my head. It's sporting rivalry for me. I realise that's not the case for everyone but I don't want rivalries watered down because some people are dickheads.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 12:40 - Jul 10 with 1674 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:08 - Jul 10 by footers

Bit like the Scottish justifying hating England due to things that happened centuries ago...

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 12:53 - Jul 10 with 1629 viewsDarth_Koont

I’ll let him off with that one, given the overall tenor of what he’s saying.

And also because that courage narrative is so ingrained in the psyche. We’re no more courageous or righteous than the Germans, French, Belgians, Italians etc. that have fought and died over the centuries without a sea barrier to protect their borders.

Pronouns: He/Him

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 13:03 - Jul 10 with 1591 viewsThe_Major

John Cleese has said that the whole reason he wrote the episode of Fawlty Towers with the Germans was because there is a certain type of British person that is incapable of letting the war go, as it was the last time the UK truly mattered on a global scale.

Bear in mind as well he wrote that in 1974, so the war was easily within living memory of anyone over thirty, so you might understand a spot of resentment from people here and there, but we're now in 2021, and you'd need to be over eighty to really remember it.

Presumably, it will die out, otherwise we may as well be having a pop at the Spanish for the Armada.
Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 13:09 - Jul 10 with 1547 viewsMerseyBlue

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 12:27 - Jul 10 by BlueandTruesince82

I think most people agree friendly rivalry between countries is good. We've had high profile clashes with Germany, Argentina, even Portugal in recent times, so I don't think anybody is saying that it isn't nice to beat them or that there isn't extra motivation to do so.

I'm sure Footers can defend himself if he wants to but it sounds to me that he's talking more about this notion that a lot of people have that the war never ended and that we're somehow beating the Nazis when we play Germany, or winning the Falklands when we play Argentina. I'm sure the vast majority of people who served in those conflicts hate that the tabloids rile people up with xenophobic talk about the hun or the boche. Or at the morons who have never fought in a war drunkenly sing out 'Ten German Bombers', or 'No Surrender to the IRA'.

It's good that we have international competitions where there are rivalries. It's nice to beat Germany at Wembley. I love beating Australia in the cricket or rugby. I love beating Wales in just about anything. I just don't see why it has to be about hate for some people. Billy Bragg summed it up pretty well for me when he was on Channel 4 news last night, not completely the same argument but sounds about right with how I view being English.

https://www.channel4.com/news/euro-2020-musician-billy-bragg-and-commentator-cal
[Post edited 10 Jul 2021 13:12]

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 13:17 - Jul 10 with 1500 viewsMattinLondon

Not sure that's the greatest take from Southgate on 09:45 - Jul 10 by gtsb1966

You would rather everyone had a vuvuzela wouldn't you or maybe you would rather we were like our American friends eh.

What a ridiculous comment.

The Germany-England rivalry is silly mainly because it’s completely one-sided. That RAF bomber song is pathetic is is only sung by meatheads - I take it that you sing that song?

Believe or not it’s possible to sing songs, to be patriotic and partisan without pretending that it’s 1945 and you’ve personally landed on the beaches of Normandy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024