Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Mariner at Ipswich Gaumont 09:28 - Jul 11 with 1366 viewsbritbiker

In Ian Henderson's lovely tribute to Paul Mariner, he mentions that PM and Terry Butcher were lovers of heavy metal and became friends of Deep Purple singer Ian Gillan. He was invited onstage as a backing singer at the Ipswich Gaumont nd Hammersmith Apollo gigs.

I was lucky enough to be at the Ipswich gig with a Leeds supporting mate and remember PM suddenly appearing with a group of other players to sing.

I think it was 1981 or 1982 but will need to dig out the ticket stub from the attic to confirm which gig it was.

There must have been other Town fans at the gig and if so do you remember which other players were on stage or what Gillan song it was. I'm assuming Terry Butcher would have been involved but my memory fails me.
Paul Mariner at Ipswich Gaumont on 10:51 - Jul 11 with 1276 viewsBlueNomad

I had forgotten all about that! It was on the Magic tour. I can’t remember the song but looking at setlists from the previous shows either New Orleans or Helter Skelter.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2021 10:56]
Paul Mariner at Ipswich Gaumont on 12:56 - Jul 11 with 1190 viewsbritbiker

Paul Mariner at Ipswich Gaumont on 10:51 - Jul 11 by BlueNomad

I had forgotten all about that! It was on the Magic tour. I can’t remember the song but looking at setlists from the previous shows either New Orleans or Helter Skelter.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2021 10:56]

Wonder if PM and GIllan stayed in any sort of contact. It is quite common for musicians to invite sports personslities to gigs and vice versa.

Just waiting for Warky to do a rap with Mr Sherran. Probably need subtitles.
Paul Mariner at Ipswich Gaumont on 13:08 - Jul 11 with 1177 viewsGrumps

I was there, and if my memory serves me well the other players were Alan Brazil and Kevin O'Callaghan. A great night! RIP PM. A true legend.
Paul Cooper was also there. It was December 15th 1982 and the players were on stage for Born To Kill and Helter Skelter.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2021 13:35]
Paul Mariner at Ipswich Gaumont on 13:11 - Jul 11 with 1166 views66notout

Paul Mariner at Ipswich Gaumont on 12:56 - Jul 11 by britbiker

Wonder if PM and GIllan stayed in any sort of contact. It is quite common for musicians to invite sports personslities to gigs and vice versa.

Just waiting for Warky to do a rap with Mr Sherran. Probably need subtitles.

I think they did and I noticed Ian Gillan is doing the foreword for Paul’s book.
Paul Mariner at Ipswich Gaumont on 13:23 - Jul 11 with 1159 viewsgtsb1966

Paul Mariner at Ipswich Gaumont on 13:11 - Jul 11 by 66notout

I think they did and I noticed Ian Gillan is doing the foreword for Paul’s book.

https://mobile.twitter.com/paul_mariner/status/626895481323581440?lang=en
Paul Mariner at Ipswich Gaumont on 13:34 - Jul 11 with 1122 viewsWeWereZombies

Paul Mariner at Ipswich Gaumont on 13:08 - Jul 11 by Grumps

I was there, and if my memory serves me well the other players were Alan Brazil and Kevin O'Callaghan. A great night! RIP PM. A true legend.
Paul Cooper was also there. It was December 15th 1982 and the players were on stage for Born To Kill and Helter Skelter.
[Post edited 11 Jul 2021 13:35]

Russel Osman may have been another, I couldn't catch the venue but there is a story on the ESPN tribute about Mariner, Butcher and Osman unknowingly sitting down on a box of stadium fireworks to have a cigarette...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Paul Mariner at Ipswich Gaumont on 14:30 - Jul 11 with 1079 viewsNBVJohn

I was there!

I was about 14 - so it was 1981/2 though I do have a vague recollection that it was later on on in the UEFA cup winning year, probably the November or December.

One of my first ever gigs. Paul Cooper was definitely there and I think Russel Osman and Terry Butcher were too.
Paul Mariner at Ipswich Gaumont on 18:54 - Jul 12 with 872 viewsajackson481

Here's a photo from the EADT of the Wednesday night show at the Gaumont:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cVY8WBhAroHmXcrv5
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024