Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pickford and Phillips 14:05 - Jul 12 with 2927 viewscatch74

Were taking the next two.
Think Southgate has a Grealish issue? Maybe he was struggling after that tackle.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Pickford and Phillips on 14:06 - Jul 12 with 2540 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I think the only issue, is people creating ones that didn't exist in the first place.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Pickford and Phillips on 14:08 - Jul 12 with 2524 viewschrismakin

Grealish offered to take one, southgate appeared to have ignored him, chose Saka and moved onto the next

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Pickford and Phillips on 14:10 - Jul 12 with 2490 viewscatch74

Pickford and Phillips on 14:06 - Jul 12 by Cheltenham_Blue

I think the only issue, is people creating ones that didn't exist in the first place.

Yes I’ve no idea what Southgate thinks of Grealish, just posing the question for people’s thoughts.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Pickford and Phillips on 14:20 - Jul 12 with 2377 viewsFtnfwest

He seems determined to keep him out of everything as far as he can. He's not alone historically tbf, most England managers have always been petrified of flair players.
Pickford and Phillips on 14:37 - Jul 12 with 2290 viewschrismakin

What would you say brings more pressure
Taking the 1st pen or the 5th....

I did wonder if Kane should have taken the last pen esther than 1st.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Pickford and Phillips on 14:38 - Jul 12 with 2288 viewswkj

Grealish needs to move on from Villa to finesse. Good player, but really raw in some situations.

I think Southgate had a Shoutgate issue last night in all honesty. I won't blast him too much, but I think it is clear to see where errors were made.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Pickford and Phillips on 14:40 - Jul 12 with 2280 viewsRadlett_blue

Pickford and Phillips on 14:08 - Jul 12 by chrismakin

Grealish offered to take one, southgate appeared to have ignored him, chose Saka and moved onto the next

Grealish isn't even 2nd choice penalty taker at Villa. Predicting which players will take a good one under pressure is a minefield. Apparently England practiced penalty kicks most days. Rashford has scored 15/17 in his career, so he would rightly been on most people's short lists. Sancho has scored 10/11 & Saka is 2/3. Rashford had a decent strategy but mis-executed. Sancho & Saka both effectively bottled it, making sure they hit the target but their weak shots were going to be saved if the keeper went the right way. You don't know who's going to keep their nerve under pressure, but if a player loses his nerve, he's better off blasting it that hitting a weak shot.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Pickford and Phillips on 14:44 - Jul 12 with 2247 viewschrismakin

Pickford and Phillips on 14:40 - Jul 12 by Radlett_blue

Grealish isn't even 2nd choice penalty taker at Villa. Predicting which players will take a good one under pressure is a minefield. Apparently England practiced penalty kicks most days. Rashford has scored 15/17 in his career, so he would rightly been on most people's short lists. Sancho has scored 10/11 & Saka is 2/3. Rashford had a decent strategy but mis-executed. Sancho & Saka both effectively bottled it, making sure they hit the target but their weak shots were going to be saved if the keeper went the right way. You don't know who's going to keep their nerve under pressure, but if a player loses his nerve, he's better off blasting it that hitting a weak shot.

Yeah think thats why Southgate didnt entertain the idea. Also might just be me but he reminds me of a player that might try the cheeky chip down the middle. Not what you want in a final imo.

Rashfords I just dont understand how he does it without looking at the ball. Crazy imo..but as you say he has been successful with it.

Login to get fewer ads

Pickford and Phillips on 14:44 - Jul 12 with 2247 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Maybe he just judged it best on who performed well at them in training? I trust his judgement, he sees them in training every day
Pickford and Phillips on 14:44 - Jul 12 with 2245 viewsOsborneOneNil

Southgate clearly has an issue with Grealish, full stop, and it frustrates me. Jack was MOTM in 3 of 4 starts recently. Got to be worth playing, but no.

Comes on in ET, and whilst he didn’t pull up any trees, the fear on the Italians was clear to see. He drew 3/4 defenders whenever he got the ball.
Pickford and Phillips on 14:49 - Jul 12 with 2200 viewschrismakin

Pickford and Phillips on 14:44 - Jul 12 by OsborneOneNil

Southgate clearly has an issue with Grealish, full stop, and it frustrates me. Jack was MOTM in 3 of 4 starts recently. Got to be worth playing, but no.

Comes on in ET, and whilst he didn’t pull up any trees, the fear on the Italians was clear to see. He drew 3/4 defenders whenever he got the ball.

Whilst trying to be respectful this is quite difficult when trying to point this out. So apologies if anyone offended.

But... is Grealish a thick footballer?

We know hes got talent to attack. He has 1 thought process which is get ball. Be direct.

I've seen players spoken of before about being beautiful footballers but incredibly thick ones which stopped them reaching that top level bar...

I ask that as he doesnt really come on with any apparent instruction other than go and do your thing.. hes not very defensive minded.. doesnt really track back etc. And he also got taken off again the danes for me... because of that reason.. southgate couldn't trust him defensively.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 14:51]

Pickford and Phillips on 14:57 - Jul 12 with 2127 viewsVaughan8

People calling for Grealish and Sterling to take one are only saying so as they are more senior"?

Sterling's record is pathetic, and apparently Grealish has only taken 1 and hit the bar (I haven't fact checked this).

Saka however has never taken a senior penalty so seemed weird he would have the 5th one. Strange.

I would definitley had Pickford as he seems like a goalie who could score them.
Pickford and Phillips on 15:00 - Jul 12 with 2094 viewschrismakin

Pickford and Phillips on 14:57 - Jul 12 by Vaughan8

People calling for Grealish and Sterling to take one are only saying so as they are more senior"?

Sterling's record is pathetic, and apparently Grealish has only taken 1 and hit the bar (I haven't fact checked this).

Saka however has never taken a senior penalty so seemed weird he would have the 5th one. Strange.

I would definitley had Pickford as he seems like a goalie who could score them.

Think it's more about by being senior if you miss you cope better with it over a 19 year old.

Pickford and Phillips on 15:03 - Jul 12 with 2070 viewspositivity

from that evidence it would be just as fair to ask if he's got a sterling issue? (or, even more so, a henderson issue, as he took him off to prevent him being even the 11th taker!)

i'd have started with rashford and finished with kane, it's a risk putting your best taker 5th as it means he might not get to take one (as with ronaldo), but more often than not, that's the key one.

i wonder if that was southgate's initial plan, but kane's miss against denmark changed his mind?

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Pickford and Phillips on 15:16 - Jul 12 with 2003 viewsFtnfwest

Pickford and Phillips on 15:03 - Jul 12 by positivity

from that evidence it would be just as fair to ask if he's got a sterling issue? (or, even more so, a henderson issue, as he took him off to prevent him being even the 11th taker!)

i'd have started with rashford and finished with kane, it's a risk putting your best taker 5th as it means he might not get to take one (as with ronaldo), but more often than not, that's the key one.

i wonder if that was southgate's initial plan, but kane's miss against denmark changed his mind?

think i'd have probably had rashford last as he's got a good record on pens really. But it was all a bit farcical at the end of extra time trying to get them on. Italy looked like they were going to keep the ball in order to prevent it as the subs were so late.
Pickford and Phillips on 15:20 - Jul 12 with 1972 viewschrismakin

I must admit. 19 year old me would find it very difficult to get over the miss.

This vid makes it worse. Imagine the first thing that happens after is seeing the swarm of cheering Italians run past you.

Pickford and Phillips on 15:20 - Jul 12 with 1968 viewstractorboy1978

Pickford and Phillips on 14:37 - Jul 12 by chrismakin

What would you say brings more pressure
Taking the 1st pen or the 5th....

I did wonder if Kane should have taken the last pen esther than 1st.

If Kane had the 5th one and it was over by then, Southgate would be getting pelters. People massively over complicate it, you order your penalty takers by order of how good they are (or should be) - simple.
Pickford and Phillips on 15:25 - Jul 12 with 1948 viewspositivity

Pickford and Phillips on 15:20 - Jul 12 by tractorboy1978

If Kane had the 5th one and it was over by then, Southgate would be getting pelters. People massively over complicate it, you order your penalty takers by order of how good they are (or should be) - simple.

i see what you're saying, southgate would've got it in the neck whatever happened.

however there's a reason why (for example) ronaldo & jorginho go last. it's usually the pressure one

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Pickford and Phillips on 15:26 - Jul 12 with 1927 viewsN2_Blue

are you just making stuff up as usual?

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Pickford and Phillips on 15:29 - Jul 12 with 1905 viewstractorboy1978

Pickford and Phillips on 15:25 - Jul 12 by positivity

i see what you're saying, southgate would've got it in the neck whatever happened.

however there's a reason why (for example) ronaldo & jorginho go last. it's usually the pressure one

It's not the pressure one if you miss the first 3 kicks and have already lost though. I do kind of understand the logic but don't agree with it.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 15:30]
Pickford and Phillips on 15:30 - Jul 12 with 1894 viewshomer_123

Pickford and Phillips on 15:20 - Jul 12 by chrismakin

I must admit. 19 year old me would find it very difficult to get over the miss.

This vid makes it worse. Imagine the first thing that happens after is seeing the swarm of cheering Italians run past you.

Then, I suspect, 19 year old you might not have opted to take the pen in the first place?

Many a professional footballer has chosen not to take a penalty in such a situation as they cannot handle it.

Please be aware, I'm not meaning to be rude to you or about you. Just pointing out that I suspect Saka could easily have said no. He'll be OK.

Baggio
Van Basten
Shevchenko
Beckham
Trezeguet

It hasn't defined them.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 15:31]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Pickford and Phillips on 15:33 - Jul 12 with 1870 viewschrismakin

Pickford and Phillips on 15:26 - Jul 12 by N2_Blue

are you just making stuff up as usual?

No. He personally responded on Twitter to sky that he offered to take one.

Following that there was footage of Southgate speaking with saka and bypassing Grealish. So no I'm not

Also. That doesnt mean its wrong. Its just that appears to be what happened.
[Post edited 12 Jul 2021 15:38]

Pickford and Phillips on 15:35 - Jul 12 with 1855 viewsmrshallisfit

How do you know this? He seemed to ask Grealish if he wanted to take one and Grealish didn't seem that enthusiastic.
Pickford and Phillips on 15:55 - Jul 12 with 1740 viewsBluefields

Pickford and Phillips on 14:20 - Jul 12 by Ftnfwest

He seems determined to keep him out of everything as far as he can. He's not alone historically tbf, most England managers have always been petrified of flair players.

Like who?
Pickford and Phillips on 16:27 - Jul 12 with 1612 viewsTrumptonBlue

Pickford and Phillips on 15:35 - Jul 12 by mrshallisfit

How do you know this? He seemed to ask Grealish if he wanted to take one and Grealish didn't seem that enthusiastic.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024