Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Flynn Downes Depreciation Thread... 10:55 - Jul 14 with 2494 viewswkj

No, not a lack of appreciation, but rather a curious question of how much we think we will get for him.

We have previously put an £8m price tag on FD, but with just a year left on his contract that value would have depreciated considerably.

Conversely, Paper talk seems to put 4 teams at the top of the transfer rumours. Having a scout around online, it looks like Stoke and Bristol City are the two teams that have the biggest amount of chatter around them.

Could a bidding war happen?

Not for the life of me do I expect 8m will be raised, but I also cant see us flogging him for near £1m.

How would you value him with all these variables knocking about?
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 14:40]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 10:56 - Jul 14 with 2470 viewsCheltenham_Blue

1m for Doz. Downes, more highly rated, got to be approaching £2m hasn't he?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 10:57 - Jul 14 with 2472 viewsitfcjoe

We apparently want £2m for him.

Palace bid last year topped out at £1.6m

I can't see his value has increased, and the market is more depressed.

I really wouldn't be surprised if in a few weeks we end up loaning him out to a Championship club as just can't see a fee being offered that makes it worthwhile to sell for

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 11:00 - Jul 14 with 2435 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 10:57 - Jul 14 by itfcjoe

I really wouldn't be surprised if in a few weeks we end up loaning him out to a Championship club as just can't see a fee being offered that makes it worthwhile to sell for

He's clearly not going to sign a new contract, so what would be the point of loaning him out, unless there was an obligation to buy? An option is worth nothing to us.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 11:00 - Jul 14 with 2429 viewswkj

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 10:57 - Jul 14 by itfcjoe

What about leverage in a PEX?

Crybaby

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 11:03 - Jul 14 with 2393 viewsjayessess

Do "bidding wars" really happen in terms of transfer fees? Generally, the out-bidding each other happens in the negotiations with the player.

More than one club involved does heighten the chances that at least one will meet our asking price (~£2m I expect?) though, I guess.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 11:05 - Jul 14 with 2373 viewsWD19

The clubs mouthpieces in the press keep talking down his value to manage expectations. I think that tells you all you need to know.
The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 11:09 - Jul 14 with 2315 viewsjayessess

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 11:00 - Jul 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

He's clearly not going to sign a new contract, so what would be the point of loaning him out, unless there was an obligation to buy? An option is worth nothing to us.

The club have an option on a further year, so could loan him out, trigger the extension, sell him in Summer 2022 after a good year in the Championship.

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 11:09 - Jul 14 with 2316 viewsitfcjoe

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 11:00 - Jul 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

He's still got 2 years left - so you pick up a loan fee, hope that he storms it and that he can either come back to us in Championship or we can sell him on.

If it is the case of that or sell for £800k now then think you have to consider it...........but negotiate the deal better than we did with Bart to Millwall!

Login to get fewer ads

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 11:10 - Jul 14 with 2302 viewsrickw

I think last year's £8m price was probably total price i.e. £4m initially and a further £4m on appearances / international appearances.

I still really rate him, so around £2m-£2.5m now plus a promotion bonus and a hefty sell on percentage

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 11:10 - Jul 14 with 2306 viewsitfcjoe

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 11:00 - Jul 14 by wkj

What about leverage in a PEX?

Another option - more likely though that we take a player and money than the other way round

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 11:17 - Jul 14 with 2229 viewscaptainfantastic

Downes

Poll: player of the season so far?

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 11:19 - Jul 14 with 2207 viewswkj

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 11:17 - Jul 14 by captainfantastic

Downes

Corrected, technology assist failed me.

Crybaby

The Flynn Downes Depreciation Thread... on 12:09 - Jul 14 with 2015 viewsPhilTWTD

He effectively has two years as there's an option. Market is flat, he had a poor season last year, so Town will probably have to accept something like £800,000, £900,000.
The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 12:20 - Jul 14 with 1936 viewsMullet

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 11:10 - Jul 14 by itfcjoe

Another option - more likely though that we take a player and money than the other way round

Yeah I don’t see how we get decent value for him. We seem to have accepted giving away youngsters too as a price to pay for this project and that goes up to the Andres and Flynn’s too. I guess the deals have to have stringent clauses in for us to really profit from them too.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 12:34 - Jul 14 with 1873 viewsjayessess

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 12:20 - Jul 14 by Mullet

Yeah I don’t see how we get decent value for him. We seem to have accepted giving away youngsters too as a price to pay for this project and that goes up to the Andres and Flynn’s too. I guess the deals have to have stringent clauses in for us to really profit from them too.

I was surprised how much we ultimately got for Andre, given the circumstances, but I suspect that was because QPR wanted to avoid him having other options on the table. Not sure that works for Flynn because he seems more set on a specific type of move. I don't think he'd go along with a move somewhere he didn't fancy because they were the first to meet the asking price.

The Flynn Downes Depreciation Thread... on 12:58 - Jul 14 with 1805 viewsKropotkin123

8m is just lazy journalism to make their readers more enthusiastic about the prospect of getting him.

I'd be happy with 1m + sell-on/add-on, given the market.

Put another way, if we get Crooks in for less money than we get for Downes departing + sell-on/add-on, then we are doing it right on the financial side of things.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 14:09 - Jul 14 with 1680 viewsStokieBlue

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 12:20 - Jul 14 by Mullet

Really not sure about this either, we didn't accept anything about Dozzell, he chose to have a clause in his contract which allowed him to leave.

We didn't insist on putting it in there. It's not really got much to do with the current project.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Flynn Downes Depreciation Thread... on 14:16 - Jul 14 with 1651 viewshadleighboyblue

The Flynn Downes Depreciation Thread... on 12:09 - Jul 14 by PhilTWTD

He effectively has two years as there's an option. Market is flat, he had a poor season last year, so Town will probably have to accept something like £800,000, £900,000.

If we got £1m for Dozzell , surely Downes is well worth more than that .....something like £1.5m to £2m . Downes has proved himself more than Dozzell
The Flynn Downes Depreciation Thread... on 14:19 - Jul 14 with 1634 viewsPhilTWTD

The Flynn Downes Depreciation Thread... on 14:16 - Jul 14 by hadleighboyblue

If we got £1m for Dozzell , surely Downes is well worth more than that .....something like £1.5m to £2m . Downes has proved himself more than Dozzell

Seems to have been more interest in Dozzell. QPR offered the figure which triggered his clause as they knew other clubs were keen. Doesn't seem to have been that sort of clamour for Downes. I'm not sure I believe most of the links which have circulated.
The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 14:19 - Jul 14 with 1627 viewscressi

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 14:09 - Jul 14 by StokieBlue

Really not sure about this either, we didn't accept anything about Dozzell, he chose to have a clause in his contract which allowed him to leave.

We didn't insist on putting it in there. It's not really got much to do with the current project.

SB

Get what we can plus a big sell on fee like 25% I don't want any players at Ipswich who are not committed to the cause Downes has no loyalty west ham fan so goodbye when we get what we want under the financial conditions he can go
The Flynn Downes Depreciation Thread... on 14:28 - Jul 14 with 1584 viewsTIB

Danny Batth + cash for FD? We were linked with him a few years back and could do with a experienced CB? Purely speculation on my part I should add.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

The Flynn Downes Depreciation Thread... on 14:28 - Jul 14 with 1574 views66notout

The Flynn Downes Depreciation Thread... on 14:16 - Jul 14 by hadleighboyblue

I doubt we are receiving that much for Dozzell. That may be the most popular guesstimate but I hear it’s substantially less.
The Flynn Downes Depreciation Thread... on 14:29 - Jul 14 with 1572 viewsEdmundo

The Flynn Downes Depreciation Thread... on 12:58 - Jul 14 by Kropotkin123

8m is just lazy journalism to make their readers more enthusiastic about the prospect of getting him.

I'd be happy with 1m + sell-on/add-on, given the market.

Put another way, if we get Crooks in for less money than we get for Downes departing + sell-on/add-on, then we are doing it right on the financial side of things.

Interesting last point @Kropotkin123: there is definitely more sense in looking at the current financial side of things in isolation, partly because the market is depressed, and partly because we are a L1 side, and that alone means anything over £1m would be exceptional. If we need a certain type of player to make the project work (i.e. promotion and a squad that can hold its own in the Champ without another huge turnover) then it makes total sense.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

The Flynn Downes Depreciation Thread... on 15:27 - Jul 14 with 1419 viewsBluefish

Anything less than l than 1.5 is a disaster. Good is 4 million, reality is probably 2 million at best
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 17:39]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 17:37 - Jul 14 with 1250 viewsHARRY10

The Flynn Downs Depreciation Thread... on 14:19 - Jul 14 by cressi

Get what we can plus a big sell on fee like 25% I don't want any players at Ipswich who are not committed to the cause Downes has no loyalty west ham fan so goodbye when we get what we want under the financial conditions he can go

25% sell on ?

Good luck with that, and I suspect the only real money non PL clubs will have is incoming fees from PL clubs

Last season will have left all with a big hole in their finances, and the need will be to cut costs and/or raise money.

If clubs cannot raise money through fees, they will at least be looking to shift contracts off their books where possible.

So don't expect some pre covid size fee.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024