Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Richard Stearman: worth a look? 11:15 - Jul 14 with 1543 viewswkj

Playing more in a CB role these days. Yes, he's 33 and getting on, but I would not be against a 1 season punt on the bloke, assuming we'd be able to meet his wages.

He was signed on an 18-month contract by Huddersfield during the January 2020 window. Apparently, Derby County is interested as they have him there on a trial.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 11:32 - Jul 14 with 1462 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 11:45 - Jul 14 with 1385 viewschrismakin

How is he still only 33!

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 11:48 - Jul 14 with 1366 viewschrismakin

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 11:32 - Jul 14 by BryanPlug

Careful tho. Remember mowbray and de vos didnt join us In their prime

Hope I'm right with De Vos.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 11:48]

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 12:06 - Jul 14 with 1257 viewsChurchman

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 11:48 - Jul 14 by chrismakin

Careful tho. Remember mowbray and de vos didnt join us In their prime

Hope I'm right with De Vos.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 11:48]

Yes, but Mowbray and De Vos were much better players than Stearman who wasn’t the fastest in his prime and error prone. No from me.

I am in favour of one old pro at the back, but they need to have been top players in their time, like Wark and Mowbray, and have the desire to be here and do it.
Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 12:08 - Jul 14 with 1228 viewsTractorCam

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 11:45 - Jul 14 by chrismakin

How is he still only 33!

I thought he was nearer 33 when he was playing with us, just checked and that was in 2013!

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 12:10 - Jul 14 with 1196 viewschrismakin

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 12:08 - Jul 14 by TractorCam

I thought he was nearer 33 when he was playing with us, just checked and that was in 2013!

Same. I thought we were his last payday lol

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 15:26 - Jul 14 with 968 viewsPendejo

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 12:06 - Jul 14 by Churchman

Yes, but Mowbray and De Vos were much better players than Stearman who wasn’t the fastest in his prime and error prone. No from me.

I am in favour of one old pro at the back, but they need to have been top players in their time, like Wark and Mowbray, and have the desire to be here and do it.

Stearman played a key role tightening up the defence in MM first season, I remember posting on the subject.

At this level he would be equivalent of a De Vos or Mowbray signing.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 15:58 - Jul 14 with 927 viewsChurchman

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 15:26 - Jul 14 by Pendejo

Stearman played a key role tightening up the defence in MM first season, I remember posting on the subject.

At this level he would be equivalent of a De Vos or Mowbray signing.

I don’t remember him being that key, tbh. He was mostly played at full back, if I remember rightly (it was 8 years ago!). Wiki tells me he made 15 appearances, but that was in McCarthy’s second half of the season miracle relegation escape campaign.

As I say I’ve no problem with a hasbeen holding things together, but they have to have been a good player in their prime.
Login to get fewer ads

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 16:37 - Jul 14 with 850 viewswkj

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 15:58 - Jul 14 by Churchman

I don’t remember him being that key, tbh. He was mostly played at full back, if I remember rightly (it was 8 years ago!). Wiki tells me he made 15 appearances, but that was in McCarthy’s second half of the season miracle relegation escape campaign.

As I say I’ve no problem with a hasbeen holding things together, but they have to have been a good player in their prime.

For a player on a free, with experience, and who is attracting Championship clubs - for a short-term deal, it really isn't right calling him a has-been. Lionel Messi is 34 and still looks sharp, Central defenders generally last a little longer than strikers...

Sure, Stearman isn't Lionel Messi, but in league one he could be that shot of experience and steady hand we need at the back.

Statistically speaking - the retirement rate of central defenders only hits 50% at the age of 36 (15% at 33), with the peak usually ending around age 31.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 16:53]

Crybaby

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 16:58 - Jul 14 with 784 viewswkj

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 11:32 - Jul 14 by BryanPlug

Of which, Stearman is neither. The average retirement age of a CB is 36, and Stearman has had no significantly nasty injuries in his career.

Crybaby

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 17:05 - Jul 14 with 758 viewsWickets

Well i would prefer to see Stearman at the heart of our defence rather that Toto but suppose we will have to wait and see what centre back /s we have our eye on .
Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 17:08 - Jul 14 with 753 viewscressi

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 16:58 - Jul 14 by wkj

Of which, Stearman is neither. The average retirement age of a CB is 36, and Stearman has had no significantly nasty injuries in his career.

In my view No mainly played as a right back in time here last time and in the system we play that would not be helpful and is he now better than we already have at this time in his career as a centre half
Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 17:12 - Jul 14 with 740 viewsgtsb1966

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 11:45 - Jul 14 by chrismakin

How is he still only 33!

Because he was born in August 1987!!
Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 18:56 - Jul 14 with 619 viewsJermynblue

I would say no to Stearman owing to his age. I remember last year when we were looking for a left back that I would rather have gone for a Harry Pickering profile (young, successful in a lower league with good stats and potential) rather than a Ward who would have a short remaining part of his career left at the level we needed. With the ability to pay a fee for players now we have much more chance of signing a younger progressive type of player than we did last year and I would hope that this type of profile is on the list of possible targets for CB.
Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 19:25 - Jul 14 with 571 viewsPoultman

Richard Stearman: worth a look? on 18:56 - Jul 14 by Jermynblue

I would say no to Stearman owing to his age. I remember last year when we were looking for a left back that I would rather have gone for a Harry Pickering profile (young, successful in a lower league with good stats and potential) rather than a Ward who would have a short remaining part of his career left at the level we needed. With the ability to pay a fee for players now we have much more chance of signing a younger progressive type of player than we did last year and I would hope that this type of profile is on the list of possible targets for CB.

Only in an historical footie magazine
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024