Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ancestry 21:42 - Jul 14 with 3843 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Watching Olivia Coleman on Who Do You Think You Are, has anyone done their family tree and found any skeletons in cupboards?

The best one I found was with Mrs CB's great grandfather, the family had been told by her grandmother that her dad had died in Cardiff when she was three in 1910.

Then I found out that he in fact hadn't but he had joined the Army, (we assume running away) as soon as she was born in 1907. He later turns up married to someone else, with a kid and calling himself a widower living in Preston.

Looking into him a bit deeper, I found out that he was discharged from the army after two years, and then when the first world war broke out in 1914, he shot himself in the foot to avoid being recalled to the Army. The foot became gangrenous and he lost his leg. He was known locally in Preston as the 'one legged tobacconist'.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Ancestry on 21:47 - Jul 14 with 1956 viewsfooters

I'm apparently related to Chris Moyles ffs.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Ancestry on 21:52 - Jul 14 with 1934 viewsFtnfwest

Ancestry on 21:47 - Jul 14 by footers

I just so wanted you to say Nigel Farage! Can you imagine ‘Uncle Nige’?
Ancestry on 21:55 - Jul 14 with 1919 viewsCheltenham_Blue

oof. Sorry.

Ancestry on 21:56 - Jul 14 with 1913 viewsjeera

And how does he feel about that?

Sorry.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Ancestry on 21:59 - Jul 14 with 1897 viewsWeWereZombies

I had always assumed that Chris Moyles didn't have any letters after his name...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Ancestry on 22:01 - Jul 14 with 1891 viewsWeWereZombies

Nothing remotely dramatic but a Suffolk ancestor a century or so ago was taken to court for refusing a Smallpox vaccination.

Ancestry on 22:03 - Jul 14 with 1889 viewsKropotkin123

I've done a fair bit. Got back to 1500s on one side. Gone back seven generations on all. Gets more difficult to get reliable info before 1830s.

I tend to dip in and out of it, which, whilst you need to catch up on where you left off, makes it easier coming back fresh and ready to go through it.

My Grandad on my Dad's side was born in 1888, had my Dad 10 years before he died of old age! So info on him from the family is hard to come by. We knew he was married 2 times, and served in the first world war. But turns out he was married 3 times and had a wife before ww1, but not sure what happened to her.

Found out he had a son in his second marriage and found out that the wife had a German family name which was changed. They split up around ww2, so not sure if anti-German sentiment was a reason. He then met my nan and the rest was history.

Another family member was a involved in a theft! Thankfully no lines to slavery or anything like that discovered, so happy about that. Would be gutted if something like that came up.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 22:04]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Ancestry on 22:19 - Jul 14 with 1849 viewsJamestownPrince

MY Auntie and some cousins have my Dutch family back to around 1600, (and a little bit of German via the Schumachers) which they have online - nothing too much apart from my Great Grandad coming over here for work in 1902 and being deported for fighting (after time in Wakefield Prison) - thankfully no South African skeletons!

On my Mums side, got her Mums family back 150 years , but we heard a rumour about my Grandad being illegitimate - which he denied but he has no Father on his birth cert (he was Scottish but his old man had escaped Ireland where he had a wife and kids, met my Great Gran, had 2 kids), then the Police came one day and took him away, back to Ireland for a prison sentence!

Meant my Family didn't inherit a large piece of land in the Scottish borders - as my Great Gran was an Armstrong and grew up in the house where the Armstrong Clan owned.

Its all good fun!!
Login to get fewer ads

Ancestry on 22:24 - Jul 14 with 1821 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Ancestry on 21:56 - Jul 14 by jeera

And how does he feel about that?

Sorry.

You just asked and answered your own question there I think

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

[Redacted] on 22:27 - Jul 14 with 1803 viewsvictorywilhappen

Ancestry on 22:03 - Jul 14 by Kropotkin123

I've done a fair bit. Got back to 1500s on one side. Gone back seven generations on all. Gets more difficult to get reliable info before 1830s.

I tend to dip in and out of it, which, whilst you need to catch up on where you left off, makes it easier coming back fresh and ready to go through it.

My Grandad on my Dad's side was born in 1888, had my Dad 10 years before he died of old age! So info on him from the family is hard to come by. We knew he was married 2 times, and served in the first world war. But turns out he was married 3 times and had a wife before ww1, but not sure what happened to her.

Found out he had a son in his second marriage and found out that the wife had a German family name which was changed. They split up around ww2, so not sure if anti-German sentiment was a reason. He then met my nan and the rest was history.

Another family member was a involved in a theft! Thankfully no lines to slavery or anything like that discovered, so happy about that. Would be gutted if something like that came up.
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 22:04]

[Redacted]
Ancestry on 22:41 - Jul 14 with 1774 viewsfactual_blue

I've done a fair bit.

My interest was first roused when my mum died back in 1990. I'd grown up under the impression that all my grandparents were dead by the time I was born.

Amongst her papers I found my grandfather's birth certifcate (on my father's side). He had in fact been alive until I was twelve. Talking to the rest of my family, it turned out he'd left his wife (my grandmother) after the youngest of their three children was born. As this was back in the 1920s, and in a tiny village in Lincolnshire, it would have been quite a scandal at the time. Particularly as he apparently shacked up at the time with a women from across the street! His children basically disowned him. In the 1939 census he was living on a farm in Lincolnshire and described as a chimney sweep.

As my researches progressed I finally established he was illegitimate. His mother was a maid in a doctor's house in a town in Lincolnshire. His father wasn't named on the birth certificate. My money's on the doctor.

Further research showed my mum was also illegitimate. I got her birth certificate. Her mother was married, but not to mum's father! Mum was registered and given her mother's married surname, but her actual father is named on the birth certificate. I'm waiting to see the 1921 census at the end of the year to see where mum was, and who she was with in that census.

One of my great-grandmothers had an unusual surname that makes her sound as though she was a Beatrix Potter character, so taking her line back is relatively easy on Ancestry as there are likely to be fewer false trails.

I thoroughly enjoy doing it, and hope to get to Lincoln Records Office when things loosen up a bit more to do some more digging, esp about my grandfather. One of my older cousins says she thinks he was sent to prison for failing to maintain his wife in the late '20s/early '30s.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2021 13:42]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Ancestry on 22:47 - Jul 14 with 1745 viewsjaykay

she made the same trip as me. went to india last jan. although i didn't have the same experts helping me as as she did. i went to the same part of india as she did, next to the nepal border.
my mother was anglo indian, her father Scottish like her ancestor. my grannie was nepalese.. mind you he left my grannie with 4 children to care for while he f(u)cked of back to scotland. luckly my grannie got my mother and sister into a orphanage run by a dr.graham
who was appalled to see so anglo indian children left by their fathers, and finish up on the streets

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Ancestry on 22:48 - Jul 14 with 1741 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Ancestry on 22:41 - Jul 14 by factual_blue

I've done a fair bit.

My interest was first roused when my mum died back in 1990. I'd grown up under the impression that all my grandparents were dead by the time I was born.

Amongst her papers I found my grandfather's birth certifcate (on my father's side). He had in fact been alive until I was twelve. Talking to the rest of my family, it turned out he'd left his wife (my grandmother) after the youngest of their three children was born. As this was back in the 1920s, and in a tiny village in Lincolnshire, it would have been quite a scandal at the time. Particularly as he apparently shacked up at the time with a women from across the street! His children basically disowned him. In the 1939 census he was living on a farm in Lincolnshire and described as a chimney sweep.

As my researches progressed I finally established he was illegitimate. His mother was a maid in a doctor's house in a town in Lincolnshire. His father wasn't named on the birth certificate. My money's on the doctor.

Further research showed my mum was also illegitimate. I got her birth certificate. Her mother was married, but not to mum's father! Mum was registered and given her mother's married surname, but her actual father is named on the birth certificate. I'm waiting to see the 1921 census at the end of the year to see where mum was, and who she was with in that census.

One of my great-grandmothers had an unusual surname that makes her sound as though she was a Beatrix Potter character, so taking her line back is relatively easy on Ancestry as there are likely to be fewer false trails.

I thoroughly enjoy doing it, and hope to get to Lincoln Records Office when things loosen up a bit more to do some more digging, esp about my grandfather. One of my older cousins says she thinks he was sent to prison for failing to maintain his wife in the late '20s/early '30s.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2021 13:42]

My great grandfather did 30 days hard labour at Gloucester Gaol in 1876. He was in a local public house with his two brothers and one of them, (unknown) smashed a glass and they were asked to leave.

They refused and the police were summoned.

When the police arrived, my great grandfather was arrested by the constable, upon seeing this, his two brothers decided to 'rescue' him from the police. In the scuffle, all three brothers ended up on the ground and the constable was kicked repeatedly.

All three were arrested and all three did a period of hard labour.

Ancestry on 22:49 - Jul 14 with 1730 viewsfactual_blue

Ancestry on 21:59 - Jul 14 by WeWereZombies

I had always assumed that Chris Moyles didn't have any letters after his name...

ffs - Footers' Family Stock.

Ancestry on 23:01 - Jul 14 with 1659 viewsWeWereZombies

[Redacted] on 22:27 - Jul 14 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

I am not entirely convinced by AncestryDNA's efforts I am afraid. I shelled out for one of their tests and got some seemingly detailed results back which, unfortunately in my view, showed be to be only 2% Gael but had quite a few other interesting threads (South European, Iberian, Viking, Finnish, Russian, French). Then out of the blue a year or so later I got an updated analysis which just looked like it had been simplified and split me three ways but mainly Anglo Saxon from East Anglia and the East Midlands (fair enough as that matches up with the family tree) and seemed to have slapped the Viking, Finnish and Russian side into a Swedish category. Latino and Celtic gone, a much more boring analysis.

I suspect that, and AncestryDNA reports come with cringingly dumbed down 'demographic related to national history' information, what you get now is a cautious feedback which has been moulded by respondents who do not want anything that confuses them or gives them ancestors too racially different to what they want.

Ancestry on 23:09 - Jul 14 with 1607 viewsjaykay

Ancestry on 23:01 - Jul 14 by WeWereZombies

I am not entirely convinced by AncestryDNA's efforts I am afraid. I shelled out for one of their tests and got some seemingly detailed results back which, unfortunately in my view, showed be to be only 2% Gael but had quite a few other interesting threads (South European, Iberian, Viking, Finnish, Russian, French). Then out of the blue a year or so later I got an updated analysis which just looked like it had been simplified and split me three ways but mainly Anglo Saxon from East Anglia and the East Midlands (fair enough as that matches up with the family tree) and seemed to have slapped the Viking, Finnish and Russian side into a Swedish category. Latino and Celtic gone, a much more boring analysis.

I suspect that, and AncestryDNA reports come with cringingly dumbed down 'demographic related to national history' information, what you get now is a cautious feedback which has been moulded by respondents who do not want anything that confuses them or gives them ancestors too racially different to what they want.

they got mine spot on ,even with a irish surname, they got the nepal and Scottish bit right

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Ancestry on 23:12 - Jul 14 with 1590 viewsOldsmoker

It's better to be apparently related rather than actually related.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Ancestry on 23:20 - Jul 14 with 1573 viewsJamestownPrince

"Who do you think you are" Norfolk version would be quite boring, or perhaps interesting.

Like the Royal family but far less German
Ancestry on 23:31 - Jul 14 with 1537 viewsPhilTWTD

Ancestry on 23:09 - Jul 14 by jaykay

they got mine spot on ,even with a irish surname, they got the nepal and Scottish bit right

I discovered I'm 11 per cent Irish, which I hadn't anticipated.

I found out I had a great great grand aunt called Fanny Cox.
Ancestry on 23:39 - Jul 14 with 1521 viewsMJallday

one of my decendants is referenced in Samuel
Pepys diary

Another was a printright (right hand man) for william Shakespeare

I’ve been thrown out of Carrow road. I hope in 500 years time someone remembers that

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Ancestry on 23:43 - Jul 14 with 1498 viewsjaykay

Ancestry on 23:31 - Jul 14 by PhilTWTD

pfff you got to have at least 25% irish otherwise you a plastic paddy

Ancestry on 23:45 - Jul 14 with 1489 viewsPhilTWTD

Ancestry on 23:43 - Jul 14 by jaykay

pfff you got to have at least 25% irish otherwise you a plastic paddy

Indeed, I'm not even entitled to a passport.
Ancestry on 23:48 - Jul 14 with 1480 viewsfactual_blue

Ancestry on 23:39 - Jul 14 by MJallday

one of my decendants is referenced in Samuel
Pepys diary

Another was a printright (right hand man) for william Shakespeare

I’ve been thrown out of Carrow road. I hope in 500 years time someone remembers that

You're a time traveller if one of your descendants is mentioned in Pepys' diary!

Was he the Parmesan cheese Pepys buried in his garden?

Ancestry on 01:31 - Jul 15 with 1413 viewsXYZ

Ancestry on 23:31 - Jul 14 by PhilTWTD

We're all descended from Fanny Cox
Ancestry on 06:32 - Jul 15 with 1258 viewsbluelagos

Claiming a royal connection may be pushing it, but we found something in common, european cousin marrying in the early 1800s. Not sure it was all that unusual in rural communities in the days before mass transportation tbf

The one big positive was uncovering a grandparent's secret employment by the SOE in Ww2 where his army records note that he spent 3 years on deployment training/preparing fighters to go into France and help the resistance. He never told anyone about that in the 30+ years he lived afterwards.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024