Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
David Conn's piece on the government's failing culture war is good 07:48 - Jul 16 with 781 viewsSteve_M

It is failing because it's so laughable, and the Labour leader is Keir Starmer not Jeremey Corbyn now, but it is still doing an awful lot of damage to the country.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/jul/15/boris-johnson-priti-patel-

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

David Conn's piece on the government's failing culture war is good on 08:27 - Jul 16 with 702 viewsOldsmoker

Johnson and his cronies are not going to abandon these so-called culture wars.
It's just a new name for Divide and Conquer.
The Union flag is ever-present at press briefings shown on TV and on all conservative literature. If you don't support the Tories and Brexit then you're anti-British. Black people are non-white and by default are non-British.
In David Conns article he says Johnson made a statement that "respected the fans right to boo those England players who took the knee". I think that's the equivalent of Trumps "there were good people on both sides". Johnson didn't criticise the England players directly leaving that to the keyboard warriors on social media.
There have only been a handful (last count I saw was 4) who have been arrested and charged because of their abusive posts about black players, out of the thousands that were posted.
My take on these culture wars is that enough damage has already been done to galvanize the racists and the haters. Those people who have swallowed the Johnson and Patel Xenophobic pill will not change back.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2021 8:29]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

David Conn's piece on the government's failing culture war is good on 09:46 - Jul 16 with 619 viewsDarth_Koont

Because Starmer is also flagshagging, and has unresolved anti-BAME, islamophobia and traveller issues?

Labour has lost its way as the anti racism party unless you’re a white centrist.

Pronouns: He/Him

David Conn's piece on the government's failing culture war is good on 10:22 - Jul 16 with 581 viewsSwansea_Blue

David Conn's piece on the government's failing culture war is good on 08:27 - Jul 16 by Oldsmoker

Johnson and his cronies are not going to abandon these so-called culture wars.
It's just a new name for Divide and Conquer.
The Union flag is ever-present at press briefings shown on TV and on all conservative literature. If you don't support the Tories and Brexit then you're anti-British. Black people are non-white and by default are non-British.
In David Conns article he says Johnson made a statement that "respected the fans right to boo those England players who took the knee". I think that's the equivalent of Trumps "there were good people on both sides". Johnson didn't criticise the England players directly leaving that to the keyboard warriors on social media.
There have only been a handful (last count I saw was 4) who have been arrested and charged because of their abusive posts about black players, out of the thousands that were posted.
My take on these culture wars is that enough damage has already been done to galvanize the racists and the haters. Those people who have swallowed the Johnson and Patel Xenophobic pill will not change back.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2021 8:29]

Yeah, I think this is just a little bump in the road for them. They got caught out this time due to England doing well and the players and Southgate refusing to play the game, but they'll be back to flag shagging and demonising foreigners again soon enough (indeed it's been rumbling on in the background still anyway, e.g. with their daft position on N Ireland and refusal to honour international agreements).

This is a brilliant explainer on why and how we are where we are. It's for the States, but applies perfectly here and Brexit fits into this model seamlessly too:

I wasn't aware of Synder's stuff before, but it's so relevant to the UK today. I saw him being referenced in this Alastair Campbell piece, so expect it will be dismissed by many unfortunately. Which will be a shame, because once you understand what the government are doing and how it hurts ALL of us, it should be obvious that everyone needs to oppose it.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/boris-johnson-and-

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

David Conn's piece on the government's failing culture war is good on 11:35 - Jul 16 with 526 viewsOldsmoker

David Conn's piece on the government's failing culture war is good on 10:22 - Jul 16 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah, I think this is just a little bump in the road for them. They got caught out this time due to England doing well and the players and Southgate refusing to play the game, but they'll be back to flag shagging and demonising foreigners again soon enough (indeed it's been rumbling on in the background still anyway, e.g. with their daft position on N Ireland and refusal to honour international agreements).

This is a brilliant explainer on why and how we are where we are. It's for the States, but applies perfectly here and Brexit fits into this model seamlessly too:

I wasn't aware of Synder's stuff before, but it's so relevant to the UK today. I saw him being referenced in this Alastair Campbell piece, so expect it will be dismissed by many unfortunately. Which will be a shame, because once you understand what the government are doing and how it hurts ALL of us, it should be obvious that everyone needs to oppose it.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/westminster-news/boris-johnson-and-

I've seen Timothy Snyder interviews on MSNBC.
He seems to know how things will pan out as he sees patterns in peoples actions.
In one interview he suggested that Trump doesn't have a plan as such - he reacts to the moment.
Trumps reactions to events clearly demonstrate that he is a true demi-god / sado-populist because it seems to come naturally to him.
Commentators have remarked that he seemed to be following the facist playbook but I would argue he's never read it - he was just doing what seemed like the right thing to do (for him) at the time 'cos he IS an actual Facist.
Johnson fits the sado-populist model to a tee and he knows exactly what he's doing. He enacted Brexit 'cos it was the will of the people (their fault) and it's going badly because of the EU so not his fault.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

David Conn's piece on the government's failing culture war is good on 12:19 - Jul 16 with 478 viewsDarth_Koont

David Conn's piece on the government's failing culture war is good on 10:22 - Jul 16 by Swansea_Blue

Excellent post and video. Thanks for that.

It’s hard not to see the truth in what Snyder is saying here — and there’s a compelling case to apply it to UK politics and the particular “gaming the electorate” style of the current government and its hangers-on.

What also resonated was his answer to how we fight it and he talked about responding with a vision of the future. That backs up what I’ve sensed about Labour in opposition for the past 18 months and the danger in having no policies and/or vision. It leaves a void where damaging narratives and divisive rhetoric go unchallenged.

That’s also where Hilary was versus Trump. It took Biden putting forward a more compelling and hopeful vision to get past that incomprehensible voter loyalty. And even then it was in the balance.

But the more you fill that void with a forward-thinking alternative the less likely it is that the anti-vision of Johnson et al can thrive. Even just a sniff of that more optimistic vision of the country and its future as presented by the England football team blew the government’s nonsense out of the water.

Time for Labour get a lot more serious about providing opposition.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024