Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Coulson Downes swap then? 08:09 - Jul 16 with 3838 viewsGavTWTD

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/middlesbrough-fc/what-neil-warno

https://www.oneboro.co.uk/boro-news/middlesbrough-join-bournemouth-and-stoke-cit

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:12 - Jul 16 with 3066 viewsbluejacko

Bidding war perhaps?😀
Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:38 - Jul 16 with 2773 viewschrismakin

If i've understood FFP correctly for league 1, swap deals won't be ideal as we'd lose the opportunity to put some % of the potential transfer fee towards our new wage availability. So it's better for us to get say £1 mill to have the 60% available, and then spend say £1 mill as it doesn't effect our wage pot as outgoing spend isn't included.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:38 - Jul 16 with 2762 viewshomer_123

But if your squad is low on numbers, swapping isn't quite the answer?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:40 - Jul 16 with 2717 viewsGavTWTD

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:38 - Jul 16 by homer_123

If we want him and he’s only available as a swap, and they want Downes, then that’s an easy deal Shirley?

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:43 - Jul 16 with 2665 viewschrismakin

Unless they would like to take Jackson and Kenlock too....

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:43 - Jul 16 with 2671 viewstonybied

Downes is not part of the squad so swapping him for someone who would be is increasing the squad numbers.
Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:44 - Jul 16 with 2650 viewspointofblue

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:38 - Jul 16 by chrismakin

If i've understood FFP correctly for league 1, swap deals won't be ideal as we'd lose the opportunity to put some % of the potential transfer fee towards our new wage availability. So it's better for us to get say £1 mill to have the 60% available, and then spend say £1 mill as it doesn't effect our wage pot as outgoing spend isn't included.

I wondered why we didn’t just do an exchange plus cash between Fraser and Bishop; I guess that’s it.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:44 - Jul 16 with 2632 viewsfranz_tyson

Downes has no future here. If a swap deal speeds things up and gets us a player with extra cash then what does it matter? We automatically fill the LB position and have extra cash that could be used for additional transfers.
Makes sense to me.
Login to get fewer ads

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:50 - Jul 16 with 2536 viewstractorboy1978

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:44 - Jul 16 by franz_tyson

Downes has no future here. If a swap deal speeds things up and gets us a player with extra cash then what does it matter? We automatically fill the LB position and have extra cash that could be used for additional transfers.
Makes sense to me.

Because if we sell him for £1m, that gives us an extra £600k to spend on wages within the cap (60% of £1m). If we sell him for £500k + Coulson that gives us an extra £300k to spend on wages within the cap. So that extra £300k could be an extra player on £6k a week.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2021 8:50]
Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:53 - Jul 16 with 2484 viewsBseaBlue

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:38 - Jul 16 by chrismakin

Is there a loop hole here? Could we not sell Downes for 2 million and then buy Coulson for 2 million? Then it's a straight swap but the 2 million would count towards our Revenue wouldn't it?
Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:54 - Jul 16 with 2464 viewsMetal_Hacker

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:43 - Jul 16 by tonybied

Downes is not part of the squad so swapping him for someone who would be is increasing the squad numbers.

Is he NOT part of the squad ?

Thought he was just "training" with the U23's - that makes him NOT part of the squad ?

Poll: If it were one or the other

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:55 - Jul 16 with 2451 viewschrismakin

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:53 - Jul 16 by BseaBlue

Is there a loop hole here? Could we not sell Downes for 2 million and then buy Coulson for 2 million? Then it's a straight swap but the 2 million would count towards our Revenue wouldn't it?

Pretty much yes. As it would be separate transactions and not a formal swap deal.

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:57 - Jul 16 with 2401 viewstonybied

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:54 - Jul 16 by Metal_Hacker

Is he NOT part of the squad ?

Thought he was just "training" with the U23's - that makes him NOT part of the squad ?

He is not part of the first team squad and it seems that is not likely to change anytime. He is of no use to anyone sitting in the under 23 squad.
Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:59 - Jul 16 with 2388 viewsGavTWTD

I think you’re missing the point I was making. However the deal is made, or framed, they want Downes, we (may) want Coulson. Sorted. Next!

Coulson Downes swap then? on 09:01 - Jul 16 with 2341 viewsMetal_Hacker

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:57 - Jul 16 by tonybied

He is not part of the first team squad and it seems that is not likely to change anytime. He is of no use to anyone sitting in the under 23 squad.

I knew he wasn't involved with the "squad" obviously but didn't realise that made him not part of it until we announced it

Fair enough

Poll: If it were one or the other

Coulson Downes swap then? on 09:05 - Jul 16 with 2282 viewshomer_123

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:40 - Jul 16 by GavTWTD

If we want him and he’s only available as a swap, and they want Downes, then that’s an easy deal Shirley?

Well, yes, but the if they need 'numbers' a 1:1 swap isn't quite gonna cut it and don't call me Shirley! ;)

Coulson Downes swap then? on 09:05 - Jul 16 with 2269 viewshomer_123

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:43 - Jul 16 by chrismakin

Unless they would like to take Jackson and Kenlock too....

Shall we drive them?

Coulson Downes swap then? on 09:10 - Jul 16 with 2186 viewsFixed_It

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:55 - Jul 16 by chrismakin

Pretty much yes. As it would be separate transactions and not a formal swap deal.

Might this be the thinking behind Teddy going to MK Dons but not as part of the Scott Fraser trnsaction?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Coulson Downes swap then? on 09:17 - Jul 16 with 2083 viewschrismakin

Coulson Downes swap then? on 09:10 - Jul 16 by Fixed_It

Might this be the thinking behind Teddy going to MK Dons but not as part of the Scott Fraser trnsaction?

You would imagine so as it would help both clubs

Coulson Downes swap then? on 09:23 - Jul 16 with 2020 viewsitfcjoe

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:50 - Jul 16 by tractorboy1978

Because if we sell him for £1m, that gives us an extra £600k to spend on wages within the cap (60% of £1m). If we sell him for £500k + Coulson that gives us an extra £300k to spend on wages within the cap. So that extra £300k could be an extra player on £6k a week.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2021 8:50]

Even in a swap deal players are assigned a value - it isn't Coulson plus £500k.....it's Coulson who is valued at £500k, plus £500k to sign Downes who is valued at £1m as far as accounting goes.

Probably the most famous example is the swap deal between Arthur and Pjanic where they had massively increased values to get Barca out of an FFP hole - as sales are put into one year, whereas purchases go across the whole contract as amortisation

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Coulson Downes swap then? on 09:30 - Jul 16 with 1880 viewsbournemouthblue

Coulson Downes swap then? on 09:23 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

Even in a swap deal players are assigned a value - it isn't Coulson plus £500k.....it's Coulson who is valued at £500k, plus £500k to sign Downes who is valued at £1m as far as accounting goes.

Probably the most famous example is the swap deal between Arthur and Pjanic where they had massively increased values to get Barca out of an FFP hole - as sales are put into one year, whereas purchases go across the whole contract as amortisation

What a bizarre scenario so it's never quite as clear cut as you would expect

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Coulson Downes swap then? on 09:44 - Jul 16 with 1759 viewsLeBlue

Coulson Downes swap then? on 08:53 - Jul 16 by BseaBlue

This is surely a massive loophole.

Why not sell Downes for £100m and buy Coulson for £100m, giving us an extra £60m to play with within FFP (silly numbers I know but you get my point).
Coulson Downes swap then? on 09:45 - Jul 16 with 1745 viewsKeno

Coulson Downes swap then? on 09:05 - Jul 16 by homer_123

Shall we drive them?

what about Bluefish, can we include him?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Coulson Downes swap then? on 09:49 - Jul 16 with 1711 viewsfranz_tyson

Coulson Downes swap then? on 09:23 - Jul 16 by itfcjoe

So if the two clubs agree in essence to swap, you could hand this over to the accountants and treat this as two separate transfers. Sounds reasonable and can’t see how this is outside EFL rules. It’s pretty transparent swapping with Warnock coming out and saying he wants to swap, but sounds legit.
Coulson Downes swap then? on 09:50 - Jul 16 with 1694 viewspointofblue

Coulson Downes swap then? on 09:49 - Jul 16 by franz_tyson

So if the two clubs agree in essence to swap, you could hand this over to the accountants and treat this as two separate transfers. Sounds reasonable and can’t see how this is outside EFL rules. It’s pretty transparent swapping with Warnock coming out and saying he wants to swap, but sounds legit.

Which is what I think might be happening between Fraser and Bishop with MK Dons.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024