Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA 10:16 - Jul 16 with 7459 viewsIP4_Blue

The other night, when he mentions the state of Portman Road and bigger plans for the ground, what do you think these will be? Do you think they will replace maybe the Cobbold Stand?
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 12:24 - Jul 16 with 1497 viewsjayessess

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 12:19 - Jul 16 by davblue

surely it would be Colchester?

Colchester has 10k capacity, Peterborough's planned new stadium will eventually accommodate 20k+

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 12:33 - Jul 16 with 1482 viewsTractorCam

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 12:24 - Jul 16 by jayessess

Colchester has 10k capacity, Peterborough's planned new stadium will eventually accommodate 20k+

And is an hour and a half away. If we weren't playing at PR then 10k attendance is probably about right.

I don't see any chance in us moving though, what would be the point in spending loads of money to develop the ground just to then build a new one a few seasons later?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 12:41 - Jul 16 with 1460 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:36 - Jul 16 by Vic

Excuse me - I remember those two ‘very old’ stands being built. It was not that long ago, they are lovely and modern!

Hear, hear.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 13:45 - Jul 16 with 1399 viewsChurchman

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 11:47 - Jul 16 by Chrisd

To be honest BlueNomad, I'm not too bothered about the state of Fratton Park and other grounds in a similar condition. It is ours that bothers me most.

Let’s be honest, while PR is ‘home’, the newest bits are 20 years old. The game has moved on and so has what passes as acceptable. The ground is a bit shabby, lacks facilities, match day and non match day (conferencing for example). There are plenty of seats with poor views. The Cobbold stand was fine when it was built in 71, but 50 years on people have got bigger but the seats haven’t.

I think the existing ground can be renovated, replacing the Cobbold stand with a more modern design taking it to the height of the other stands, maybe two tiers. I’d get rid of the odd semi detached construction the players ankle out from and do something to marry Churchmans up with a new Cobbold stand and Pioneer/West/Co-op making more of a bowl.

For facilities, I’d develop the area behind the Co-op stand extending it into the little used training pitch including changing rooms etc and have the players entering the pitch from the centre of the stand next to the dugouts.

That’s my fag packet solution.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2021 13:46]
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 13:50 - Jul 16 with 1380 viewsMetal_Hacker

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 13:45 - Jul 16 by Churchman

Let’s be honest, while PR is ‘home’, the newest bits are 20 years old. The game has moved on and so has what passes as acceptable. The ground is a bit shabby, lacks facilities, match day and non match day (conferencing for example). There are plenty of seats with poor views. The Cobbold stand was fine when it was built in 71, but 50 years on people have got bigger but the seats haven’t.

I think the existing ground can be renovated, replacing the Cobbold stand with a more modern design taking it to the height of the other stands, maybe two tiers. I’d get rid of the odd semi detached construction the players ankle out from and do something to marry Churchmans up with a new Cobbold stand and Pioneer/West/Co-op making more of a bowl.

For facilities, I’d develop the area behind the Co-op stand extending it into the little used training pitch including changing rooms etc and have the players entering the pitch from the centre of the stand next to the dugouts.

That’s my fag packet solution.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2021 13:46]

Thought pretty much similar earlier this morning ref developing behind and on the practice pitch ,filling in the corner between the Co-Op and Churchmans and having players come out from the middle of the new stand .In addition sorting out obviously the dugouts which has been a bugbear for a while now

Poll: If it were one or the other

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 13:52 - Jul 16 with 1371 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:32 - Jul 16 by Chrisd

Obviously, we as fans do have that sentimental attachment to Portman Road, but he's right the ground could do with a lot of TLC, it's been left to go to ruin under ME. I wouldn't want the club to move away from the current site, so It's exciting they have plans for the ground. I might be getting ahead of my station here, but look how Ashton Gate has been transformed under Ashton's watch.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2021 11:23]

Didn't realise he named the stadium after himself! Will Portman Road become Ashton Road?

Or was it the other way round? Will Mark Ashton change his name to Mark Portman?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 15:19 - Jul 16 with 1293 viewsjayessess

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 12:33 - Jul 16 by TractorCam

And is an hour and a half away. If we weren't playing at PR then 10k attendance is probably about right.

I don't see any chance in us moving though, what would be the point in spending loads of money to develop the ground just to then build a new one a few seasons later?

If the money didn't make sense to build a new one in the early 2000s, pretty sure it'll make even less sense now.

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 16:13 - Jul 16 with 1245 viewsChrisd

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 13:52 - Jul 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

Didn't realise he named the stadium after himself! Will Portman Road become Ashton Road?

Or was it the other way round? Will Mark Ashton change his name to Mark Portman?

Plenty for MA to think about and important decisions to be made. 😉

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 16:44 - Jul 16 with 1210 viewsChurchman

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 15:19 - Jul 16 by jayessess

If the money didn't make sense to build a new one in the early 2000s, pretty sure it'll make even less sense now.

Not too long before 2000 Sunderland built the Stadium of Light for £30m. They received a few subsidies and I suspect the sale of the old Roker Park site also helped.

My Sunderland buddy tells me it was the best thing they ever did. He said he and most were strongly against moving from their old home, but they day they walked into the SoL they said ‘wow, what were we thinking of. Thank god we’ve moved’. Mind you, he tells me the SoL is built over old mineworkings with unknown tunnels. He reckons one day they’ll score and the whole lot will sink down like the piano in the Aristocats going through the floors.

We paid £30m to refurb 2 stands. If I remember rightly, Sheepshanks and crew did look at the possibility of a new ground on the old airport, but that came to nothing.
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 17:35 - Jul 16 with 1155 viewsjayessess

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 16:44 - Jul 16 by Churchman

Not too long before 2000 Sunderland built the Stadium of Light for £30m. They received a few subsidies and I suspect the sale of the old Roker Park site also helped.

My Sunderland buddy tells me it was the best thing they ever did. He said he and most were strongly against moving from their old home, but they day they walked into the SoL they said ‘wow, what were we thinking of. Thank god we’ve moved’. Mind you, he tells me the SoL is built over old mineworkings with unknown tunnels. He reckons one day they’ll score and the whole lot will sink down like the piano in the Aristocats going through the floors.

We paid £30m to refurb 2 stands. If I remember rightly, Sheepshanks and crew did look at the possibility of a new ground on the old airport, but that came to nothing.

It cost Sunderland £30m to build a 49,000-seater stadium in 1997. They had regular sell outs at Roker Park and were able to sell out the Stadium of Light numerous times the season they opened it. Think the economics of that are fairly obvious.

By 2002 it cost Hull £44m to build a 25-000 seater stadium in the same region. The construction costs for a bigger one down South would've been a fair lot more than the £30m we paid to build two new stands at Ipswich, which turned out to be a financial overstretch in any case. You could probably count the number of games where we've significantly exceeded the pre-rebuild capacity on your hands and toes too.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2021 17:41]

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 17:43 - Jul 16 with 1138 viewschrismakin

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 17:35 - Jul 16 by jayessess

It cost Sunderland £30m to build a 49,000-seater stadium in 1997. They had regular sell outs at Roker Park and were able to sell out the Stadium of Light numerous times the season they opened it. Think the economics of that are fairly obvious.

By 2002 it cost Hull £44m to build a 25-000 seater stadium in the same region. The construction costs for a bigger one down South would've been a fair lot more than the £30m we paid to build two new stands at Ipswich, which turned out to be a financial overstretch in any case. You could probably count the number of games where we've significantly exceeded the pre-rebuild capacity on your hands and toes too.

Are any of the surrounding area privately owned or all by the council?

I've always wandered if we might try and purchase some of the land around the ground... the buildings by the training ground ( opposite ugly looking ones).

Also.. the carpark... what's happening there. I saw its had some work going on.. multi story? Flats going in?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 17:44 - Jul 16 with 1141 viewsPinewoodblue

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 17:35 - Jul 16 by jayessess

Stadium of Light capacity was extended to 49,000 in 2002 or 2003. The build figure you have quoted is for the original, lower capacity stadium.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 17:51 - Jul 16 with 1124 viewsjayessess

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 17:44 - Jul 16 by Pinewoodblue

Stadium of Light capacity was extended to 49,000 in 2002 or 2003. The build figure you have quoted is for the original, lower capacity stadium.

42,000 when it opened, you're right (official cost is also listed as £24m rather than £30m too)

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 18:00 - Jul 16 with 1112 viewsBluedandy

Extraordinary the stadium was allowed to sink into such a dilapidated condition ... the owner given his background in sports hospitality reportedly had a forensic attention to detail.

It was clearly nonsense, the loveless state of tattered disrepair symbolised everything that was wrong with the direction of travel under ME.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2021 18:03]
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 18:07 - Jul 16 with 1096 viewsmylittletown

I have always thought that, if they did need to seriously restructure the ground, the obvious thing to do would be to turn it round 90 degrees, knocking down the Britannia Stand and rebuilding it halfway across the practice pitch.

Ashton Gate is now 3/4 of a really good ground, but it has cost Steve Lansdown over £50m, money that we, and arguably he, would be much better off improving the team to the point where we could justify a rebuilt stadium.
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 18:19 - Jul 16 with 1082 viewsjayessess

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 18:07 - Jul 16 by mylittletown

I have always thought that, if they did need to seriously restructure the ground, the obvious thing to do would be to turn it round 90 degrees, knocking down the Britannia Stand and rebuilding it halfway across the practice pitch.

Ashton Gate is now 3/4 of a really good ground, but it has cost Steve Lansdown over £50m, money that we, and arguably he, would be much better off improving the team to the point where we could justify a rebuilt stadium.

In fairness, Bristol City went from posting 15k average attendances in 2016 to 25k in 2020, that's pretty transformational in terms of the size of football club.

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 19:26 - Jul 16 with 1038 viewsdeano85

Eveyone always starts with the cobbold, and i get that, its the smallest of the sides...
It may be big, but for its size it doesnt have a huge capacity and is quite inefficient.
Personally I would build the pioneer/britannia /coop (whatever tge hell its called now)
Its a real opportunity for a statement, loads of room behind to incorporate function rooms /shops as part if etc...
Could even have it half built before demolition... See liverpool

Cobbold is always going to be hassle regarding the road which will increase £££, maybe leave it till after the champions league...
[Post edited 16 Jul 2021 19:37]
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 19:30 - Jul 16 with 1032 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 18:00 - Jul 16 by Bluedandy

Extraordinary the stadium was allowed to sink into such a dilapidated condition ... the owner given his background in sports hospitality reportedly had a forensic attention to detail.

It was clearly nonsense, the loveless state of tattered disrepair symbolised everything that was wrong with the direction of travel under ME.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2021 18:03]

It should never have got in the state it is. But the message was always every spare penny is spent on the team which to an extent you can understand but it’s wrong - a football club has to be something we have pride in and I suspect that generates better performance across the whole organisation to an extent.

Looking forward to it being smartened up.
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 19:35 - Jul 16 with 1025 viewsBluespeed225

As long as those iconic letters that spell out Ipswich Town Football Club are retained! The backdrop to those wonderful team photoshoots of the 70's and 80's.
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 19:41 - Jul 16 with 1020 viewsitfcjoe

Now Portman Road has been shut for cars where the stadium is I wonder if long term there is a possibility of extending the Cobbold Stand by rebuilding it over that space now it is no longer in use.

There is potential there for an Ipswich Village style property investment by the new owners as imagine the land is cheap and the location is good for transport links.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 19:41 - Jul 16 with 1014 viewsMaySixth

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:36 - Jul 16 by tivo

If the Cobbold stand was to be redeveloped then it would need to go over the road, or the road to be pushed back into the car park.

I personally think it would look great to have the stand going over the top of the road, with pillars holding it up on the car park side of the road giving it a tunnel feel.

Like Villa Park

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 08:41 - Jul 17 with 888 viewsstrikalite

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 19:26 - Jul 16 by deano85

Eveyone always starts with the cobbold, and i get that, its the smallest of the sides...
It may be big, but for its size it doesnt have a huge capacity and is quite inefficient.
Personally I would build the pioneer/britannia /coop (whatever tge hell its called now)
Its a real opportunity for a statement, loads of room behind to incorporate function rooms /shops as part if etc...
Could even have it half built before demolition... See liverpool

Cobbold is always going to be hassle regarding the road which will increase £££, maybe leave it till after the champions league...
[Post edited 16 Jul 2021 19:37]

Agree re the Co-Op could be redeveloped and expanded across the old practice pitch..

Also think Joes idea of now extending the Cobbold stand right into the car park has legs too...

Right now both stands just need tidying up obviously, google imagine the Cobbold stand and it still looks fine on the whole, I'd never want to leave the site/area though, so many soulless new grounds we've all visited out there (which we'd probably end up with)and given our incredible history tied to PR why on earth would we give that up!?

Also, PR is close to the station and Town centre, that's massively important - Pboro for example are still keeping within the London Road area really, within a big redevelopment area,,,,,but still very close to the City centre, train station, transport links, shops and pubs all bringing in revenue remember..
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 8:45]
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 09:52 - Jul 17 with 845 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:36 - Jul 16 by tivo

If the Cobbold stand was to be redeveloped then it would need to go over the road, or the road to be pushed back into the car park.

I personally think it would look great to have the stand going over the top of the road, with pillars holding it up on the car park side of the road giving it a tunnel feel.

I hope that wouldn't get clearance on terrorism grounds.

10,000 sitting ducks for a lorry bomb. The Arsenal stadium was specifically designed to include "street furniture" that would harden it against a lorry attack.
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:00 - Jul 17 with 833 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 09:52 - Jul 17 by ArnoldMoorhen

I hope that wouldn't get clearance on terrorism grounds.

10,000 sitting ducks for a lorry bomb. The Arsenal stadium was specifically designed to include "street furniture" that would harden it against a lorry attack.

Slightly different considerations I expect!
Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:04 - Jul 17 with 830 viewsjayessess

Listened to Mark Ashton on KOA on 10:00 - Jul 17 by PrideOfTheEast

Slightly different considerations I expect!

Don't tend to get a lot of terror attacks in medium-sized provincial towns.
Atletico Madrid's old stadium was built over Madrid's equivalent of the North Circular (the M30), always fun to drive under.

[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 10:05]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024