Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo 15:45 - Jul 16 with 1005 viewschicoazul

Anyone have any experience with using one? I am thinking of taking the plunge, I have a bike obvs but it’s a mountain bike, pretty good although not super expensive or whatnot.
Any boyos have any advice to offer your boy? I specifically want to be able to do good sessions at home. TIA.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 15:50 - Jul 16 with 981 viewsartsbossbeard

Are you thinking of bluetooth/phone/youtube or just a a turbo device?

bluetooth enabled and Zwift would be ideal, I reckon from my (basic) research

I've got a non fancy one, they're good but a tad fiddly when getting the back wheel in and aligned. Put it on top of a yoga mat for added floor stickiness.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 16:30 - Jul 16 with 910 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

I had one for my birthday this year to train for triathlon. It all depends on how much you want to spend but the key factors you want to consider are:
How big a problem is noise - the cheap mechanical ones are v noisy
Do you want to connect to Zwift etc?
If so do you want super accurate power reading or would estimated power be okay

Basically you can spend anything from £100 to £000's

If you have a mountain bike you'll want to get a turbo specific back tyre as well.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 16:39 - Jul 16 with 884 viewsEwan_Oozami

A few questions:

- what's the budget?
- will you be swapping between indoor and outdoor riding frequently?
- do you want to track your fitness improvement?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 17:12 - Jul 16 with 847 viewsfabian_illness

I bought a CycleOps Hammer a couple of years ago to use on Zwift.
About a grand.
Would I buy it again?
Too right, it’s ******* awesome.
Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 17:15 - Jul 16 with 841 viewsblue62

Honestly, I wouldn't bother. Had one for a while for my road bike and hated it. Much prefer to ride on the road than in a garage. Or maybe you have a nice gym?

If you do take the plunge then get a second hand one to see if you like it more than I did.
Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 17:24 - Jul 16 with 826 viewsTractorWood

Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 15:50 - Jul 16 by artsbossbeard

Are you thinking of bluetooth/phone/youtube or just a a turbo device?

bluetooth enabled and Zwift would be ideal, I reckon from my (basic) research

I've got a non fancy one, they're good but a tad fiddly when getting the back wheel in and aligned. Put it on top of a yoga mat for added floor stickiness.

I have a tacx flux s. It's pretty old now and I bought for about £400 in 2018. I've got hundreds of miles out of it on Zwift. If you are into cycling on road I'd get one, no doubt. If you're into MTB, I wouldn't bother.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 21:11 - Jul 16 with 749 viewschicoazul

Thank you friends much to ponder here!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 21:58 - Jul 16 with 694 viewslordsambuca

I got one at the start of last year. I put an old hybrid bike on it . (I got the cheapest smart trainer ELite ZUmo - £400 on themarket at the time).

One of the best investments I have made. So many options on Zwift. I am now in a group where we have races, group rides and challenges alongside the stuff that is on Zwift routinely. I used to do a lot of cycling on the road - including a commute 13 miles each way but got fed up of the traffic and had a couple of near misses.

As I say I am using a 15 year old hybrid bike. The trainer difficulty is adjustable in Zwift so I don't need to worry about gearing ratios being sufficient etc. so I think a mountain bike would be ok from that perspective even if the geometry is not necessarily perfect. I am not suggesting it is a substitute for cycling on the road but as a fitness tool in my view it is fantastic and I much prefer to the spinning classes I did at the gym previously.

I guess it depends what you want to get out of it. Good luck
Login to get fewer ads

Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 23:49 - Jul 16 with 644 viewsUpbeat_Blue

Wouldn't want to put you off!

I have a Tacx Neo in the garage and the machine itself's brilliant, quiet when the rest of the drivetrain is in order, provides a stable ride.. However without accompanying visuals rides do feel very long, plus a damaged garmin training watch that intermittently loses signal does reinforce the feeling that I'm not going anywhere.

My advice would be to mark out some of the budget for a Zwift subscription or similar. Get immersed in it. Setting up in front of tv shows didn't distract me from the toil like I'd imagined.

Lastly butt pain arrives quicker due to less movement in the saddle.
Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 23:52 - Jul 16 with 635 viewsjeera

Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 23:49 - Jul 16 by Upbeat_Blue

I have a Tacx Neo in the garage and the machine itself's brilliant, quiet when the rest of the drivetrain is in order, provides a stable ride.. However without accompanying visuals rides do feel very long, plus a damaged garmin training watch that intermittently loses signal does reinforce the feeling that I'm not going anywhere.

My advice would be to mark out some of the budget for a Zwift subscription or similar. Get immersed in it. Setting up in front of tv shows didn't distract me from the toil like I'd imagined.

Blimey.

There was an Upbeat_Blue on here for years.

It is you making a return?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 00:07 - Jul 17 with 628 viewsUpbeat_Blue

Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 23:52 - Jul 16 by jeera

Blimey.

There was an Upbeat_Blue on here for years.

It is you making a return?

Hi Jeera kind of you to remember, yes I was quite regular on here some years ago. Can't say I plan to relive those heady days of posting contributions but this site's always been my main stop for town news. Was sorry to see a thread about Sprucey hanging up his antlers - from what I glimpsed I've missed quite a few seasons of character development on this forum that I probably shouldn't try to catch up on
Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 00:08 - Jul 17 with 617 viewsRyorry

Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 23:49 - Jul 16 by Upbeat_Blue

Upbeat - how good is it to see you back! (assuming you're the original Upbeat, and not a newbie who happens to have picked the same handle).

I've been so worried about you - hope you're OK?

Edit - just seen your reply a minute before I posted this - welcome back :)
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 0:09]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 00:09 - Jul 17 with 621 viewsjeera

Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 00:07 - Jul 17 by Upbeat_Blue

Hi Jeera kind of you to remember, yes I was quite regular on here some years ago. Can't say I plan to relive those heady days of posting contributions but this site's always been my main stop for town news. Was sorry to see a thread about Sprucey hanging up his antlers - from what I glimpsed I've missed quite a few seasons of character development on this forum that I probably shouldn't try to catch up on

Just the usual handbags mate. Some things don't change.

Nice to see you alive and well.

Drop by more, new season coming up and all that. Hopefully lots of positives to look forward to.

Good to see you again.

Edit: get your old avatar back up there too!
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 0:10]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Attn: home exercise boyos re getting a Turbo on 06:53 - Jul 17 with 550 viewsdirtyboy

For mtb no for road yes.

Spend top of budget

Get Zwift

I did about 150 miles a week during the winter, racing Thursday nights and long rides Sunday mornings, did me wonders and the competition was great.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024