Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... 11:27 - Jul 17 with 1860 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

At the risk of this becoming heated.....my French beans are like triffids this year, falling over currants and cherries but this years epic fail is blueberries (late Spring cold plus hail maybe.)

Over to the rest of you boring old and prematurely old folk!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 11:31 - Jul 17 with 1659 viewsGuthrum

Saw some friends of mine the other day and they said their gooseberries had gone berserk, pounds and pounds of them off the one bush.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 11:42 - Jul 17 with 1627 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 11:31 - Jul 17 by Guthrum

Saw some friends of mine the other day and they said their gooseberries had gone berserk, pounds and pounds of them off the one bush.

I am eating the first of our purple gooseberries right now....bloody luvverly they are too, masses of them as well! Thinking of offering free p.y.o. on the currants as still have frozen from last year too.

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 11:43 - Jul 17 with 1629 viewsDubtractor

My blueberries are amazing this year - nice sheltered spot though.

Climbing french beans, much like yours, have taken over.

Peas and carrots have been dreadful though - not helped by the very wet and cool May when they should have been doing their main growing.

My spuds have really appreciated the wet Spring and Summer though.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

[Redacted] on 11:45 - Jul 17 with 1624 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 11:46 - Jul 17 with 1622 viewsFenland_Blue

Looks like it will be a bumper harvest this summer.

The missus even has a load of watermelons growing in her greenhouse.

The cold spring killed her Blueberries.

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 11:53 - Jul 17 with 1592 viewsEdmundo

I was just about to post that my blueberry bushes (well, 2 out of 3) are the best in 15 years... otherwise, everything seemed to bolt during the last hot spell, so we lost a bit of goodness. Raspberries are new this year so anything is a bonus. Strawberries were good this year too.
Wondering what to plant next... any suggestions welcome.

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 11:57 - Jul 17 with 1580 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 11:43 - Jul 17 by Dubtractor

My blueberries are amazing this year - nice sheltered spot though.

Climbing french beans, much like yours, have taken over.

Peas and carrots have been dreadful though - not helped by the very wet and cool May when they should have been doing their main growing.

My spuds have really appreciated the wet Spring and Summer though.

I have blueberry envy....feast to famine compared to last year.

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 11:59 - Jul 17 with 1573 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 11:53 - Jul 17 by Edmundo

I was just about to post that my blueberry bushes (well, 2 out of 3) are the best in 15 years... otherwise, everything seemed to bolt during the last hot spell, so we lost a bit of goodness. Raspberries are new this year so anything is a bonus. Strawberries were good this year too.

Purple sprouting brocoli for the Spring.

Login to get fewer ads

[Redacted] on 12:00 - Jul 17 with 1567 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 12:13 - Jul 17 with 1551 viewsRyorry

Runner beans, for second year in a row, very mixed - the 50% that survived! are doing well.

Peas - (Sugar Snap) mostly a flop & the 40% that did survive are giving a very scant crop.

Asparagus poor, 2 months of near-continuously frozen ground from Christmas Eve onwards in effect meant they were actually in 'drought' conditions. Didn't produce edible spears till June, and even then only a light crop.

On the other hand leeks, spring onions, artichokes (both kinds) lettuces (Lolla Blanca, Salad Bowl, Little Gem + Celtuce (highly recommended) are off the scale! The Gems are already bolting, despite copious watering. We had a late, cold, spring - snow up till mid April, frosts till mid-May, May was an unrelenting drenching one till last few days, and then end of May till first week of July was complete drought, no useful rain at all.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 12:16 - Jul 17 with 1543 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

As a fellow boring old fart, I’ve got my own little veg patch for first time at our new gaff.

Cabbages the width of dust bin lids, sprouting broccoli and sprouts growing like triffids and the runner beans covered in lovely red flowers so going to be a good crop.

Carrots are really poor, but broad beans were excellent and my solitary courgette plant is producing marrow sized ones in abundance.

Mrs SSB is busy watering them as I’ve gone away camping so hopefully when I return on Monday all will be fine and dandy

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 12:18 - Jul 17 with 1539 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

My plums remain a constant disappointment.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 12:21 - Jul 17 with 1529 viewsBloomBlue

Strange this will be my best year ever for blueberries if they continue at this rate. I've also got some very large gooseberries. Rhubarb was disappointing
Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 13:21 - Jul 17 with 1482 viewsWeWereZombies

Rhubarb

OK, just OK

Raspberries - loads on the way and a few already picked and eaten, so I have mildly upset digestion as I did for the last couple of years.

A few strawberries on the way from the new plant I put in only a few weeks ago, and the possibility of blackcurrants for the first time in over five years since I planted the bush.

Lettuce being picked a few leaves at time from a decent crop under a wee polytunnel, also got sprouts on the way there.

A lone salsify that didn't show itself last year is buried under some weeds somewhere, must sort that out. I planted Duke of Yorks and Sharpe's Express seed potatoes last year and am still lifting the last row and a half but with ever worsening results, I have not been blown away with either variety.

No idea when the blackberries will ripen this far north but there are a good few looking likely - probably late September.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 13:40 - Jul 17 with 1458 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 12:13 - Jul 17 by Ryorry

Runner beans, for second year in a row, very mixed - the 50% that survived! are doing well.

Peas - (Sugar Snap) mostly a flop & the 40% that did survive are giving a very scant crop.

Asparagus poor, 2 months of near-continuously frozen ground from Christmas Eve onwards in effect meant they were actually in 'drought' conditions. Didn't produce edible spears till June, and even then only a light crop.

On the other hand leeks, spring onions, artichokes (both kinds) lettuces (Lolla Blanca, Salad Bowl, Little Gem + Celtuce (highly recommended) are off the scale! The Gems are already bolting, despite copious watering. We had a late, cold, spring - snow up till mid April, frosts till mid-May, May was an unrelenting drenching one till last few days, and then end of May till first week of July was complete drought, no useful rain at all.

Sorry to hear about the asparagus, after a 3 year wait they were a real bonus this year.

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 13:49 - Jul 17 with 1450 viewsRyorry

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 13:40 - Jul 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

Sorry to hear about the asparagus, after a 3 year wait they were a real bonus this year.

Thanks, and well done, glad your patience has been rewarded 👍

Mine seem to be 'in recovery' as I noticed a few new edible spears y'day & today - highly unusual for mid-July. Will probably munch raw as I pick tomorrow :) (Gav, can we have a new 'yum' emoticon in the next update please?!)
[Post edited 17 Jul 2021 13:51]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 13:56 - Jul 17 with 1436 viewsLord_Lucan

I grew some Pak Choi this year and they flourished, they currently have a nice yellow flower. Strange thing is, I love Pak Choi but I know in my mind that I won't use them because I can't be arsed and they don't come in a plastic bag with a receipt

That said, writing this I know I am being daft. I might have them next week with a bit of slow roasted pork.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 14:16 - Jul 17 with 1407 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 13:56 - Jul 17 by Lord_Lucan

I grew some Pak Choi this year and they flourished, they currently have a nice yellow flower. Strange thing is, I love Pak Choi but I know in my mind that I won't use them because I can't be arsed and they don't come in a plastic bag with a receipt

That said, writing this I know I am being daft. I might have them next week with a bit of slow roasted pork.

Those flowers are trying to tell you something you silly old man!
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/bok-choy/preventing-bok-choy-

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 14:43 - Jul 17 with 1381 viewsLord_Lucan

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 14:16 - Jul 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

Those flowers are trying to tell you something you silly old man!
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/bok-choy/preventing-bok-choy-

I skim read that, I couldn't be arsed to take it all in.

So, are you implying my Pak Choi are under some kind of duress?

I mean, FFS! I spend most of my time worrying that my family are ok, are you suggesting I have to worry about vegetables?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 14:46 - Jul 17 with 1376 viewswkj

My berries have been non existant this year, however my rhubarb and new potatoes have been a screaming success

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 16:07 - Jul 17 with 1316 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 14:43 - Jul 17 by Lord_Lucan

I skim read that, I couldn't be arsed to take it all in.

So, are you implying my Pak Choi are under some kind of duress?

I mean, FFS! I spend most of my time worrying that my family are ok, are you suggesting I have to worry about vegetables?

Your horse has bolted...it might not taste how you like it.

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 16:24 - Jul 17 with 1307 viewsjaykay

every year i grow cucumbers in my green house and the same thing happens. the first 2 0r 3 grow to a good size but the cucumbers higher up the stem get to about a couple of inches then turn yellow and die. haven't a clue what i am doing wrong

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 16:25 - Jul 17 with 1305 viewsLord_Lucan

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 16:07 - Jul 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

Your horse has bolted...it might not taste how you like it.

Oh, got ya.

I'll just my Mrs to cook them, once she has boiled the sh1t out of things everything tastes the same anyway.

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 19:15 - Jul 17 with 1242 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Swiss chard is another, keep sowing right in to September.

Fruit and veg growing successes and failures.... on 22:21 - Jul 17 with 1181 viewsSwansea_Blue

Our ‘early’ blueberries are still two sticks with about 10 leaves on each. The cold spring completely finished them off.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024