Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully 07:31 - Jul 19 with 648 viewsWeWereZombies

On 23rd April, 1927 Cardiff City won the F A Cup and took the trophy out of England for the first and, to date, only time. However, one other team from outside England has contested an F A Cup final. Who are they?

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 07:36 - Jul 19 with 608 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Queens Park

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 07:37 - Jul 19 with 608 viewshoppy

Factors has a distinct advantage over anyone else to answer this…

I’m pretty sure it’s a Scottish side - someone like Queens Park, or Stirling Albion?

The FA Cup, has of course, been won outside of England several times.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 07:38 - Jul 19 with 601 viewsbluelagos

Just cheated but wont give the answer. Will say it's not Rangers.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 07:42 - Jul 19 with 588 viewsWeWereZombies

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 07:38 - Jul 19 by bluelagos

Just cheated but wont give the answer. Will say it's not Rangers.

That was going to be my clue if the question was too tough, but CHealyIsAPleasure has proved that this was far too easy, no one even offered Swansea as a tentative answer.

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 07:43 - Jul 19 with 578 viewshoppy

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 07:42 - Jul 19 by WeWereZombies

That was going to be my clue if the question was too tough, but CHealyIsAPleasure has proved that this was far too easy, no one even offered Swansea as a tentative answer.

Oh, so I also got it right, technically.

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 07:56 - Jul 19 with 540 viewsWeWereZombies

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 07:43 - Jul 19 by hoppy

Oh, so I also got it right, technically.

Well if I ignore the Stirling Albion part of your post then yes you did...

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 08:00 - Jul 19 with 530 viewshoppy

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 07:56 - Jul 19 by WeWereZombies

Well if I ignore the Stirling Albion part of your post then yes you did...

It was really nothing more than a backup after-thought…

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 08:10 - Jul 19 with 505 viewsoldburian

I used to run a monthly quiz for our village boys football club and one question was which team entered the FA Cup competition one year, never lost but never won the cup?

The answer was Queens Park again because they drew the semi-final and could not afford to return the next week to play the replay. They are a club with perhaps more history than any other.

Another question that caught many out was - who won the cup three times in the 80's and it was Blackburn Rovers in the 1880's and one side they beat was Queens Park. The side to win the cup after Blackburn Rovers was Blackburn Olympic, the only professional side to win the cup and not be in existence now
Login to get fewer ads

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 09:01 - Jul 19 with 425 viewsKeno

was it Norwich?

Oh silly me they have never participated in an a FA Cup final

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 09:39 - Jul 19 with 382 viewsmonty_radio

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 08:10 - Jul 19 by oldburian

I used to run a monthly quiz for our village boys football club and one question was which team entered the FA Cup competition one year, never lost but never won the cup?

The answer was Queens Park again because they drew the semi-final and could not afford to return the next week to play the replay. They are a club with perhaps more history than any other.

Another question that caught many out was - who won the cup three times in the 80's and it was Blackburn Rovers in the 1880's and one side they beat was Queens Park. The side to win the cup after Blackburn Rovers was Blackburn Olympic, the only professional side to win the cup and not be in existence now

Would Bury not count as professionals who won the Cup, and now no longer exist?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 09:47 - Jul 19 with 372 viewsWeWereZombies

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 09:39 - Jul 19 by monty_radio

According to this website Bury F.C. turned professional in 1885, fifteen years before they won the F A Cup (they beat Southampton, who were in the Southern League at the time, and the Bury players each received a whopping ten pound win bonus.)

[edit] forgot to cut and paste the link, must have thought I was sending a corporate email...

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamClubs/Clubs/Bury.html
[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 9:50]

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 09:49 - Jul 19 with 368 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 09:39 - Jul 19 by monty_radio

Could we count Wimbledon FC as no longer 8n existence?

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 09:57 - Jul 19 with 348 viewsWeWereZombies

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 09:49 - Jul 19 by Tangledupin_Blue

So, by extension, MK Dons took over the Wimbledon F.C. franchise but were not professional (founded 2004, won cup in 1988...) at the time they won the F A Cup. I'm prepared to accept that on the grounds that MK Dons have won the cup and Nodge haven't.

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 09:59 - Jul 19 with 346 viewsmonty_radio

Non contentious football riddle to start the week peacefully on 09:49 - Jul 19 by Tangledupin_Blue

I think we can, as A.F.C. Wimbledon are their spiritual successors and indeed now retain the replica F.A. Cup handed back to them by M.K. Dons.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 11:25]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024