Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Camp Food 12:37 - Jul 19 with 1325 viewswkj

Unfortunately for all of you who thought my post was about Gino D'Acampo, I am afraid I clickbaited you.

What is the best way to go about the camping provisions in my 'pitch up, move on' road trip. Pennies dictate I can't really eat out on the way, so I am having to cook for myself (which I'm happy doing)

Would one take a cooler with a bunch of stuff, or hit a supermarket on a day by day basis - or god forbid, live off of canned meals for a week before visiting the bed and breakfast on the last stop, and possibly being kicked out after a visit to Monsoir Shanks, Armitage.

The twist here, is I don't consume meat.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Camp Food on 12:41 - Jul 19 with 1290 viewsgainsboroughblue

Mince?

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Camp Food on 12:43 - Jul 19 with 1277 viewsOldsmoker

Brace yourself.

You used the word provisions and not food.

Pot Noodles.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Camp Food on 12:44 - Jul 19 with 1270 viewswkj

Camp Food on 12:43 - Jul 19 by Oldsmoker

Brace yourself.

Pot Noodles.

There will be plenty of that, sans the noodles.

Crybaby

Camp Food on 12:45 - Jul 19 with 1254 viewsOldsmoker

Camp Food on 12:44 - Jul 19 by wkj

There will be plenty of that, sans the noodles.

I wanna come too.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Camp Food on 12:48 - Jul 19 with 1245 viewsMerseyBlue

Do you have a trangia? I would stock up on a few tins of soup, chickpeas, black beans etc. Oats, nuts, apples, bananas are easy to transport as well. Depends how light you need to travel really, but if you have a cooler then you could get some veggie sausages and burgers as well.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Camp Food on 12:50 - Jul 19 with 1235 viewswkj

Camp Food on 12:48 - Jul 19 by MerseyBlue

Do you have a trangia? I would stock up on a few tins of soup, chickpeas, black beans etc. Oats, nuts, apples, bananas are easy to transport as well. Depends how light you need to travel really, but if you have a cooler then you could get some veggie sausages and burgers as well.

I have one of the Colman flat gas hobs, not sure if that is technically considered a trangia, but I do have that ability to make cold food hot.

Crybaby

Camp Food on 12:51 - Jul 19 with 1229 viewswkj

Camp Food on 12:41 - Jul 19 by gainsboroughblue

Mince?

Ohhh lovely! A bit of mince and onions would be lovely - sadly I am not a meat consumer these days.

Crybaby

Camp Food on 12:51 - Jul 19 with 1227 viewsMerseyBlue

Camp Food on 12:50 - Jul 19 by wkj

I have one of the Colman flat gas hobs, not sure if that is technically considered a trangia, but I do have that ability to make cold food hot.

That'll do it. Probably best to draw up a meal plan and work from that. Keep it simple and shouldn't be too rough.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Login to get fewer ads

Camp Food on 12:53 - Jul 19 with 1217 viewswkj

Camp Food on 12:51 - Jul 19 by MerseyBlue

That'll do it. Probably best to draw up a meal plan and work from that. Keep it simple and shouldn't be too rough.

I will be frequenting EV charging ports quite often, so I am thinking that I may be able to get away with regular small shops. The challenge will be at the end of the first leg when I sail to the Isle of Islay - So I might need a more bumper supply for then.

Mind you, I may end up eating out on the island itself, I am told that this place is stunning

https://www.lochindaalseafoodkitchen.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Lochindaal
[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 13:00]

Crybaby

Camp Food on 13:16 - Jul 19 with 1191 viewsitfc_bucks

these are your friend.

https://www.firepotfood.com/collections/firepot-dehydrated-meals/vegan

Absolutely outstanding. You'll probably want a small side dish to go with them, but, my word, they're good!
Camp Food on 13:17 - Jul 19 with 1176 viewswkj

Camp Food on 13:16 - Jul 19 by itfc_bucks

these are your friend.

https://www.firepotfood.com/collections/firepot-dehydrated-meals/vegan

Absolutely outstanding. You'll probably want a small side dish to go with them, but, my word, they're good!

Now this is fantastic. All of the things i looked at on amazon were 'MRE' style.

Crybaby

Camp Food on 13:36 - Jul 19 with 1131 viewsGuthrum

Camp Food on 12:43 - Jul 19 by Oldsmoker

Brace yourself.

Pot Noodles.

That was one of my standards for festival food, but there are much nicer versions than the Pot- variety. Also instant mashed potato.

Tho there was a good cafeteria on our backstage for most of the meals. Apart from the year of the barbecued salad (when the catering crew got completely wasted, danced until 3am, then attempted (not very successfully) to be up in time to start feeding the crew at 7am.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Camp Food on 14:01 - Jul 19 with 1101 viewswkj

Camp Food on 13:36 - Jul 19 by Guthrum

That was one of my standards for festival food, but there are much nicer versions than the Pot- variety. Also instant mashed potato.

Tho there was a good cafeteria on our backstage for most of the meals. Apart from the year of the barbecued salad (when the catering crew got completely wasted, danced until 3am, then attempted (not very successfully) to be up in time to start feeding the crew at 7am.

I feel we need more depth on Barbecued salad

Crybaby

Camp Food on 14:07 - Jul 19 with 1094 viewsGuthrum

Camp Food on 14:01 - Jul 19 by wkj

I feel we need more depth on Barbecued salad

Barbecued chicken, semi-barbecued lettuce, same tongs for everything - raw, cooked and salad.

The vegetarian option was a fried egg so murdered even J2 would fail to recognise what it was.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Camp Food on 14:17 - Jul 19 with 1066 viewsWeWereZombies

Camp Food on 12:53 - Jul 19 by wkj

I will be frequenting EV charging ports quite often, so I am thinking that I may be able to get away with regular small shops. The challenge will be at the end of the first leg when I sail to the Isle of Islay - So I might need a more bumper supply for then.

Mind you, I may end up eating out on the island itself, I am told that this place is stunning

https://www.lochindaalseafoodkitchen.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Lochindaal
[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 13:00]

Islay has two Co-op stores (which stay open until ten), two Spars and at least one independent food shop:

https://www.google.com/search?q=food%20shops%20on%20islay&rlz=1CATATK_enGB83

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Camp Food on 14:19 - Jul 19 with 1061 viewswkj

Camp Food on 14:17 - Jul 19 by WeWereZombies

Islay has two Co-op stores (which stay open until ten), two Spars and at least one independent food shop:

https://www.google.com/search?q=food%20shops%20on%20islay&rlz=1CATATK_enGB83

I did see that, however - I have been enchanted by the chippie that sells "Lobster and Chips"

Crybaby

Camp Food on 14:29 - Jul 19 with 1041 viewsWeWereZombies

Camp Food on 14:19 - Jul 19 by wkj

I did see that, however - I have been enchanted by the chippie that sells "Lobster and Chips"

There is a notice up in the chippy in Portree that says 'Attention Vegans - our chips are cooked in beef fat - that's why they taste so good' so watch out for that type of treatment if you are strictly vegetarian. Any attempt to hand back the chips and reclaim your tenner or whatever will probably be met with a nod towards a notice and 'Ye were telt'.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Camp Food on 16:03 - Jul 19 with 988 viewsGeoffSentence

Camp Food on 12:41 - Jul 19 by gainsboroughblue

Mince?

I see what you did there.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Camp Food on 19:28 - Jul 19 with 907 viewsEdwardStone

There is a liquid coffee substitute

That is quite Camp, so I hear
Camp Food on 19:33 - Jul 19 with 894 viewsGeoffSentence

It's easy. Whenever you stop to camp for the night, yoo get the farmers wife to make you homemade bread with freshly churned butter, fruit and veg from their fields, bioiled eggs and lashings of ginger beer.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Camp Food on 19:39 - Jul 19 with 883 viewswkj

Camp Food on 19:33 - Jul 19 by GeoffSentence

It's easy. Whenever you stop to camp for the night, yoo get the farmers wife to make you homemade bread with freshly churned butter, fruit and veg from their fields, bioiled eggs and lashings of ginger beer.

Oddly enough, the first site im going to is a farm where the check in is in the farm store. Ingenius cross-selling.

Crybaby

Camp Food on 19:52 - Jul 19 with 872 viewsKropotkin123

If you aren't paying to stay at places, then fire is a limiting factor in your meal choices, as you don't want to attract the attention of passers by or landowners.

Cous Cous packs small and will give you a good amout of calories. Bring some different flavoured stocks and you have the basis of some nice meals. You could easily swing by a range of different places and pick up something additional to make the meal more interesting. That way you can save on what you carry and feel better for it.

Taking a cooler is a bit ott. I think you would regret carrying the weight around. Particularly if it is hot like this.

Take some comfort food with you too. Some chocolate or granola bars. You will probably get cravings and it is better to have some sort of outlet.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2021 19:55]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Camp Food on 22:10 - Jul 19 with 818 viewsfactual_blue

Is that food cooked by Kenneth Williams and Charles Hawtrey?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Camp Food on 22:18 - Jul 19 with 810 viewsDarth_Koont

Risotto. It’s always the answer.

And made for a camping stove/fire.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024