Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) 10:18 - Jul 20 with 2399 viewsMaySixth

His/her copmments on the Cobbold Stand mural

Why as a club are we obsessed with “legends” and the glory days that were so long ago that 80 percent of fans have no attachment to that era
It’s becoming embarrassing that we cling on so tightly
We have to stop looking back and look to the future and then I feel as a fan base we will be a lot more realistic in what we are as a club
[Post edited 20 Jul 2021 10:19]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 10:22 - Jul 20 with 2344 viewsBlueNomad

There are still many people who celebrate the fact that we had a ruthless empire - that was even longer ago!
Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 10:25 - Jul 20 with 2298 viewsMediocre_Quick

Just your standard miserable troll
Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 11:23 - Jul 20 with 2151 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I missed out on the glory days, but caught Warkys last spell.

I love the nostalgia, and have plenty of respect for the legends, but I could understand if a 20 year old felt that way.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 11:48 - Jul 20 with 2071 viewsBlueNomad

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 11:23 - Jul 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

I love the nostalgia, and have plenty of respect for the legends, but I could understand if a 20 year old felt that way.

It doesn't stop WHammers going on about Moore, Hurst and Peters.

And the other lot talking about Goss.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2021 11:49]
Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 11:59 - Jul 20 with 2022 viewsBluearmy71

You just insulted Sir Alf Ramsey and Sir Bobby Robson, did you not get any this morning or something??

Their achievements and the players that played for them deserved to be remembered, honoured in every stand of Portman Road until Portman Road and or Ipswich Town F.C no long exist, if you cant take pride in our history including more recently George Burley's time as manager and the players that played under him then you are not fit to wear the shirt!!

Have some f**king respect for those we lost from all of the above mentioned teams and indeed those that are alive to tell the tail, we may never see days like that again, you can't have a future without a past to look back on!!
Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 12:02 - Jul 20 with 2004 viewsSitfcB

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 11:59 - Jul 20 by Bluearmy71

You just insulted Sir Alf Ramsey and Sir Bobby Robson, did you not get any this morning or something??

Their achievements and the players that played for them deserved to be remembered, honoured in every stand of Portman Road until Portman Road and or Ipswich Town F.C no long exist, if you cant take pride in our history including more recently George Burley's time as manager and the players that played under him then you are not fit to wear the shirt!!

Have some f**king respect for those we lost from all of the above mentioned teams and indeed those that are alive to tell the tail, we may never see days like that again, you can't have a future without a past to look back on!!

Errrr, it wasn’t MaySixth that said this.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 12:13 - Jul 20 with 1956 viewsMattinLondon

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 12:23 - Jul 20 with 1912 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 11:48 - Jul 20 by BlueNomad

It doesn't stop WHammers going on about Moore, Hurst and Peters.

And the other lot talking about Goss.
[Post edited 20 Jul 2021 11:49]

...and I suspect they have some fans who would rather look forward.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 12:26 - Jul 20 with 1899 viewstimothyeo

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 11:23 - Jul 20 by Marshalls_Mullet

I agree that it's probable age-specific.

If you're 20 and all you've done is see us ultimately fail as a football club, it's not that refreshing to hear "well yeah but we used to be proper good". It becomes an irritation, I suspect.

What I don't get is why people feel the need to pass comment. If some want to live on nostalgia then let them, enjoy it. If you don't want to, you equally don't have to.
Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 12:47 - Jul 20 with 1830 viewsnoggin

Yeah but Labour.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 12:59 - Jul 20 with 1786 viewsMaySixth

Wrong target

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 13:16 - Jul 20 with 1715 viewsBluearmy71

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 12:59 - Jul 20 by MaySixth

Wrong target

I do apologise sincerely MatSixth, please make sure what ever f**cker said that sees it, thanks.
Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 13:18 - Jul 20 with 1702 viewsBluearmy71

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 12:13 - Jul 20 by MattinLondon

I don't need to be told to apologise when I'm in the wrong, but thanks for pointing it out.
Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 13:20 - Jul 20 with 1684 viewsSitfcB

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 13:16 - Jul 20 by Bluearmy71

I do apologise sincerely MatSixth, please make sure what ever f**cker said that sees it, thanks.

Go and tell him yourself, he’s in the news comments of the Cobbold Stand story.

COYB

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 13:36 - Jul 20 with 1606 viewsBluearmy71

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 13:20 - Jul 20 by SitfcB

Go and tell him yourself, he’s in the news comments of the Cobbold Stand story.

Thank you sitters, on my way there now :)
Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 13:38 - Jul 20 with 1601 viewsSitfcB

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 13:36 - Jul 20 by Bluearmy71

Thank you sitters, on my way there now :)

I went and gave him a nasty down vote when I first saw this thread, that’ll learn him.

COYB

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 15:20 - Jul 20 with 1457 viewsVaughan8

Isn't all teams "obsessed" with their history unless their best times are now?

A lot of older people who I tell I support Ipswich always mention how good we were in that era of early 80s. The younger people just say "who are they?" and laugh if they support Man Utd or something......

I'd rather remember the good times from the club, than say last season!
Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 16:32 - Jul 20 with 1365 viewsHARRY10

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 15:20 - Jul 20 by Vaughan8

Isn't all teams "obsessed" with their history unless their best times are now?

A lot of older people who I tell I support Ipswich always mention how good we were in that era of early 80s. The younger people just say "who are they?" and laugh if they support Man Utd or something......

I'd rather remember the good times from the club, than say last season!

"how good we were in that era of early 80s."

eh ?

Things began to fall apart by then - Robson leaving summer of '82

Where the 'fixation' with the past can be a problem is in giving some an enlarged sense of expectation, if not entitlement. There is no seat at the PL table with our name on it. We are as a club defined by where we are at any given time - currently L1.

A good argument can be made that given the size of our support we should be upper Championship, not L1. But that has to be earned, not awarded based on the above.

There are others, like Forest, Derby, Sheff Weds, Sunderland and Stoke all of comparative size who have spent plenty of time at the top table and so will believe their rightful place is among the top 20.

Our first game will be decided on where each team is now, not where the respective clubs were over four decades ago. I can remember us winning the FA Cup, but cannot recall any talk of Preston beating Huddersfield in 1938 to win the cup. Nor would anyone have paid any heed either.

Football is about today, and what that (hopefully) promises for tomorrow. We finally look to have both - lets perhaps focus on that.
Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 16:42 - Jul 20 with 1332 viewsMattinLondon

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 13:18 - Jul 20 by Bluearmy71

I don't need to be told to apologise when I'm in the wrong, but thanks for pointing it out.

You’re very welcome.
Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 17:54 - Jul 20 with 1247 viewsVaughan8

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 16:32 - Jul 20 by HARRY10

eh ?

Where the 'fixation' with the past can be a problem is in giving some an enlarged sense of expectation, if not entitlement. There is no seat at the PL table with our name on it. We are as a club defined by where we are at any given time - currently L1.

A good argument can be made that given the size of our support we should be upper Championship, not L1. But that has to be earned, not awarded based on the above.

There are others, like Forest, Derby, Sheff Weds, Sunderland and Stoke all of comparative size who have spent plenty of time at the top table and so will believe their rightful place is among the top 20.

Our first game will be decided on where each team is now, not where the respective clubs were over four decades ago. I can remember us winning the FA Cup, but cannot recall any talk of Preston beating Huddersfield in 1938 to win the cup. Nor would anyone have paid any heed either.

Football is about today, and what that (hopefully) promises for tomorrow. We finally look to have both - lets perhaps focus on that.

chill!
I couldn't be bothered witing the season but I suppose we did good in the 70s and then great 79-82. SOrry for not being specific enough for you

Its a completely different game now so surely no-one thinks we should be winning the FA cup/UEFA CUP, Premier league etc.

All this over a few "legends" on a stand. Wow haha
Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 06:56 - Jul 22 with 1004 viewsHarlestonblue

Of course he is. No doubt. Smell him a mile off
Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 07:31 - Jul 22 with 943 viewsChurchman

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 17:54 - Jul 20 by Vaughan8

chill!
I couldn't be bothered witing the season but I suppose we did good in the 70s and then great 79-82. SOrry for not being specific enough for you

Its a completely different game now so surely no-one thinks we should be winning the FA cup/UEFA CUP, Premier league etc.

All this over a few "legends" on a stand. Wow haha

I doubt anyone with a shred of sanity will think we can recreate the good ole days, though Leicester City show that doing well in the PL can be done and has to be the target for a club of this size. Even as an amateur club in the 30s, Ipswich were drawing crowds way in excess of the level it was playing at. The potential here is to compete with the likes of Forest, Derby, and clubs of that size in the PL

There is nothing wrong with using your history if, unlike Norwich, you have one. It’s part of our identity and that’s one of many things badly damaged by the dust bowl of the Evans era. The trick is to use history, not to live in it. Aspects of identity like murals, statues, looking after former players etc are part of a smart, professional, forward looking club - everything we’ve not been for years.

In short, if you have it, use it.
Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 07:51 - Jul 22 with 895 viewsArnieM

I agree with everything you’ve said , but unfortunately you appear to have misinterpreted the OP, who was quoting another posters comments .

Your comments would be spot on if aimed at @bigpaulyd .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 11:19 - Jul 22 with 773 viewssolemio

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 16:32 - Jul 20 by HARRY10

eh ?

In fairness the five clubs you mention are all in towns/cities bigger than Ipswich.
Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 14:12 - Jul 22 with 700 viewsBluearmy71

Is @bigpaulyd a Norwich fan? (n/t) on 07:51 - Jul 22 by ArnieM

I agree with everything you’ve said , but unfortunately you appear to have misinterpreted the OP, who was quoting another posters comments .

Your comments would be spot on if aimed at @bigpaulyd .

Thank you ArnieM, the proper target for the post had been pointed out to me earlier in the thread upon which I issued an apology to the OP and was guided in the right direction by Sitters, so I copied my words, headed off to the news comments and pasted my words in their rightful place. :)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024