Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket: Going to be a tight finish 21:25 - Jul 20 with 1189 viewsSteve_M

A bit careless from England, Roy especially when cruising, but some excellent bowling from Pakistan.

43 needed from 30.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 21:47 - Jul 20 with 1159 viewsvapour_trail

Sensational final few overs.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 21:52 - Jul 20 with 1157 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 21:47 - Jul 20 by vapour_trail

Sensational final few overs.

Livingstone just needed to follow up that six* with a single and it would have been easy.

Thoroughly enjoyed that, 3 wicket win with two balls to spare. Been a superb series.

* First ball this:

[Post edited 20 Jul 2021 21:54]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 21:54 - Jul 20 with 1137 viewsRocky

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 21:52 - Jul 20 by Steve_M

Livingstone just needed to follow up that six* with a single and it would have been easy.

Thoroughly enjoyed that, 3 wicket win with two balls to spare. Been a superb series.

* First ball this:

Great end to a wonderful series
Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 21:55 - Jul 20 with 1127 viewsReuser_is_God

* First ball this:

Gets me excited for the Hundred now....

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 21:56 - Jul 20 with 1122 viewsstrikalite

* First ball this:

Great finish, made hard work of that, agree re Livingston, the six was massive but no need to thrash at the next ball, it went to his head, but the six won it thankfully..
Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 22:03 - Jul 20 with 1105 viewsgainsboroughblue

Drove back from Felixstowe with it on the radio. Looking forward to the highlights later. Can't argue with the series win especially given that we are rotating/experimenting etc. A bit of game savviness though is going to be crucial in the world cup in UAE. Especially given the conditions. A run a ball with 6 wickets left shouldn't have been that stressful!

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 22:06 - Jul 20 with 1090 viewsGuthrum

* First ball this:

I was more concerned at Morgan blasting his wicket away shortly after. Livingstone had some licence, the Captain not so much.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 22:31 - Jul 20 with 1043 viewsN2_Blue

All the talk about whether Malan should be axed, i'd keep him in but get rid of Bairstow rather than Malan. Bairstow flatters to deceive for me.

Gets big scores when they are not match defining. When we need him to step up he never does.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 22:51 - Jul 20 with 1027 viewsXYZ

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 22:06 - Jul 20 by Guthrum

I was more concerned at Morgan blasting his wicket away shortly after. Livingstone had some licence, the Captain not so much.

Broad called it on Sky - Livingstone should have come in above Morgan - left/ right combo.

Would have won it with 10 balls to spare.
Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 22:58 - Jul 20 with 1012 viewsChrisd

* First ball this:

That’s the part I still struggle with, with T20. Livingstone hit that magnificent 6 and then tries to go again on the next ball. Put the ego away and just culminate the runs, we needed 6 off the last over at that point. Losing his wicket then puts the pressure on the next batsmen unnecessarily. Perhaps that’s the purist in me talking?! Nevertheless, a very well fought-out series. Now the T20 World Cup is in the UAE, Pakistan will be worth a bet.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 09:42 - Jul 21 with 926 viewsGuthrum

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 22:51 - Jul 20 by XYZ

Broad called it on Sky - Livingstone should have come in above Morgan - left/ right combo.

Would have won it with 10 balls to spare.

Afraid I was rejoicing a bit when Malan got out. In his current form, he is just not scoring quickly enough for a tight situation.

Vwry gifted player, not saying he should be excluded, but neither am I at all sure we'd have won with him still at the crease.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 09:53 - Jul 21 with 915 viewsXYZ

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 09:42 - Jul 21 by Guthrum

Afraid I was rejoicing a bit when Malan got out. In his current form, he is just not scoring quickly enough for a tight situation.

Vwry gifted player, not saying he should be excluded, but neither am I at all sure we'd have won with him still at the crease.

Agree, sometimes you've got to give it up for the team.

He looked very scratchy against the spinners, putting pressure on the bloke at the other end.
Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 09:54 - Jul 21 with 914 viewstivo

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 22:58 - Jul 20 by Chrisd

That’s the part I still struggle with, with T20. Livingstone hit that magnificent 6 and then tries to go again on the next ball. Put the ego away and just culminate the runs, we needed 6 off the last over at that point. Losing his wicket then puts the pressure on the next batsmen unnecessarily. Perhaps that’s the purist in me talking?! Nevertheless, a very well fought-out series. Now the T20 World Cup is in the UAE, Pakistan will be worth a bet.

That's what we would have done 8 years ago when we were crap in white ball.

Broad talked about it after the game, if we go back to that style we lose all of the hard work we have done to get to where we are today.
Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 10:59 - Jul 21 with 872 viewsChrisd

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 09:54 - Jul 21 by tivo

That's what we would have done 8 years ago when we were crap in white ball.

Broad talked about it after the game, if we go back to that style we lose all of the hard work we have done to get to where we are today.

I certainly see that argument, but batting sensibly at crucial times is also important. England have done this before where one wicket is then two or three. At the end of the day, England got the job done - It’s just me being an old cronie!!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 11:51 - Jul 21 with 846 viewsRyorry

Happened to be in bathroom & switched on radio there at roundabout that point - was so gripped by the comm I couldn't bear to leave the room & get to the nearest radio downstairs till it was all over, in case I missed something!

What a thriller

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 11:55 - Jul 21 with 837 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 10:59 - Jul 21 by Chrisd

I certainly see that argument, but batting sensibly at crucial times is also important. England have done this before where one wicket is then two or three. At the end of the day, England got the job done - It’s just me being an old cronie!!

Very interesting interview with Broad at the end where he said the philosophy under Morgan is much more attacking. In a sense he said, Livingstone's approach could have won the game in two hits (it pretty much did with the one). By doing that you get repeated chances to win but it does run the risk that enough batsman fail then the team loses. The run the singles and play it safe option only needs a mistake at the wrong time and you are suddenly left with having to hit a boundary off two balls or a couple off 3 balls at the end of the match to win and it is all down to whether that batsman can do it against that bowler at that time.

That said, I thought Malan's innings was important. Clearly struggled to play the spinners but managed to knock off 30-odd runs at around a run-a-ball.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 13:22 - Jul 21 with 811 viewsIpswichKnight

That is the exact type of pitch we will get in the UAE, sticky and hard to get away. Malan won’t be going and I expect Stokes to be taking his place. We should seriously consider picking 4 spinners for some games and leaving out one of Mahmood, Jofra, Wood or Jordan and playing Livingston, Ali, Rashid and Parkinson.

England will be aggressive with the bat they won’t look to be 150/4 in 20 overs they’d rather be 170 all out in 18.

I don’t expect many scores over 200 in the UAE so last night was very good practice
Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 13:26 - Jul 21 with 804 viewsvapour_trail

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 13:22 - Jul 21 by IpswichKnight

That is the exact type of pitch we will get in the UAE, sticky and hard to get away. Malan won’t be going and I expect Stokes to be taking his place. We should seriously consider picking 4 spinners for some games and leaving out one of Mahmood, Jofra, Wood or Jordan and playing Livingston, Ali, Rashid and Parkinson.

England will be aggressive with the bat they won’t look to be 150/4 in 20 overs they’d rather be 170 all out in 18.

I don’t expect many scores over 200 in the UAE so last night was very good practice

Got to bring Jordan. Nobody has his control at the death.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 14:57 - Jul 21 with 774 viewsIpswichKnight

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 13:26 - Jul 21 by vapour_trail

Got to bring Jordan. Nobody has his control at the death.

Agreed, however IF we do play 4 spinners we leave Jofra out who opens the bowling as Jordan isn’t as effective in the power plays? Of course very mute question as probably unlikely we will play 4 spinners!
Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 15:49 - Jul 21 with 760 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 14:57 - Jul 21 by IpswichKnight

Agreed, however IF we do play 4 spinners we leave Jofra out who opens the bowling as Jordan isn’t as effective in the power plays? Of course very mute question as probably unlikely we will play 4 spinners!

If we played 4 spinners, one or quite possibly two of them would be opening the bowling I would imagine.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 16:05 - Jul 21 with 747 viewsSaleAway

Cricket: Going to be a tight finish on 13:22 - Jul 21 by IpswichKnight

Did you hear Morgan's interview... he doesn't reckon the spinners will have that much effect in UAE... when they did IPL there, it wasn't that bad. no way they'll ever go in with 4 spinners.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024