Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Illegal immigrants" 09:10 - Jul 21 with 18544 viewsnoggin

It really pisses me off that so many news sources label these human beings as criminals. The criminals are the people smugglers and the politicians. Is it any wonder the public have such a xenophobic attitude to these poor people.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 9:14]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

"Illegal immigrants" on 09:26 - Jul 21 with 4950 viewsBlueNomad

Have you tried reading BBC News website's Have Your Say articles? It is a hotbed of intolerance, "I'm alright Jack", "pulled myself up by the bootstraps", "who needs an education?", "ah but Corbyn" types. Yesterday's topic was about the weather and climate but there were still many swivel eyed loons using it to vent their hate about people crossing the channel. Absolutely horrendous.

Bruce Springsteen is getting slaughtered in the States because he said events over the past few years have made him ashamed to be American. I feel the same way about this country in many respects.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 9:27]
"Illegal immigrants" on 09:32 - Jul 21 with 4914 viewsnoggin

"Illegal immigrants" on 09:26 - Jul 21 by BlueNomad

Have you tried reading BBC News website's Have Your Say articles? It is a hotbed of intolerance, "I'm alright Jack", "pulled myself up by the bootstraps", "who needs an education?", "ah but Corbyn" types. Yesterday's topic was about the weather and climate but there were still many swivel eyed loons using it to vent their hate about people crossing the channel. Absolutely horrendous.

Bruce Springsteen is getting slaughtered in the States because he said events over the past few years have made him ashamed to be American. I feel the same way about this country in many respects.
[Post edited 21 Jul 2021 9:27]

I try to avoid reading news comments, it's just too depressing.

"Illegal immigrants" on 09:35 - Jul 21 with 4901 viewsXYZ

"Illegal immigrants" on 09:42 - Jul 21 with 4879 viewsDurovigutum

Yet quietly in the background are some wonderful projects. I was part of one that brought a family from Syria with three young children who were living in a UNHCR tent camp as part of a home office project. The home office people were brilliant too, nothing like the press reports or what the current home secretary wants to portray (thankfully).

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/cambridgeshire-town-bought-

It's not the best written piece of journalism, but you'll get the idea.
"Illegal immigrants" on 09:52 - Jul 21 with 4825 viewsnoggin

"Illegal immigrants" on 09:42 - Jul 21 by Durovigutum

Yet quietly in the background are some wonderful projects. I was part of one that brought a family from Syria with three young children who were living in a UNHCR tent camp as part of a home office project. The home office people were brilliant too, nothing like the press reports or what the current home secretary wants to portray (thankfully).

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/cambridgeshire-town-bought-

What a heartwarming story, thanks for sharing. We have a Syrian trainee at work and his history is horrific. He has been here for 6 years and is already fluent in Norwegian and a productive member of society. He decided to become a paramedic when he watched an ambulance crew treat someone at his refugee camp. I'm pretty sure he'll go on to study medicine but for now we are very lucky to have him.

"Illegal immigrants" on 10:33 - Jul 21 with 4711 viewsElephantintheRoom

"Illegal immigrants" on 09:42 - Jul 21 by Durovigutum

I see they get "housing benefit" to pay for a house that was apparently bought for them. That'll get a few people frothing at the mouth.

Nce story - and one that is being replicated unseen and unreported around Europe, let alone the UK. A master baker has taken on a homeless migrant from west africa as an apprentice in his boulangerie near us - and is being trained as a artisan baker with the full support of the village.

I think that the figures for Italy and Spain in that bar graph above are slightly redundant - EU countries can return "illegal immigrants" to the EU country they first entered the EU which they are now doing in large numbers. - and Spain got aslo 5000 in just one weekend after a spat with their neighbours on the other side of the med.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

"Illegal immigrants" on 11:14 - Jul 21 with 4612 viewsJ2BLUE

Illegal aliens is even worse but completely agree.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

"Illegal immigrants" on 11:21 - Jul 21 with 4594 viewsPinewoodblue

"Illegal immigrants" on 11:14 - Jul 21 by J2BLUE

Illegal aliens is even worse but completely agree.

It’s OK to be a legal alien, if you’re an Englishman in New York.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

"Illegal immigrants" on 11:27 - Jul 21 with 4561 viewsDarth_Koont

Inspired by the discussion of Bigfoot on the same page, I think even the mythology and irrationality of the accepted narrative on immigration and refugees is at another level.

It’s almost as if we have a predominantly right-wing media and a comically weak centre that leans into anti-immigration themselves.

Pronouns: He/Him

"Illegal immigrants" on 11:35 - Jul 21 with 4541 viewsElderGrizzly

And also this rather key point. We don't have many coming here at all

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:06 - Jul 21 with 4462 viewsnoggin

"Illegal immigrants" on 11:35 - Jul 21 by ElderGrizzly

Apparently France processes 4 times as many asylum applications as the UK.

#Yeah but Corbyn.

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:16 - Jul 21 with 4414 viewsazuremerlangus

So these ‘legal’ immigrants haven’t heard of passports, immigration control, customs & excise, passenger ferries, commercial airlines etc which everyone else uses?

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:21 - Jul 21 with 4382 viewsNthsuffolkblue

But we are being swamped. And overrun. And all you hear as you walk down the street now is people speaking foreign. And there is hardly a white face left in the village. etc etc.

I wonder what the stats are for non-EU countries like Turkey and others surrounding the countries where we are creating the problems.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:21 - Jul 21 with 4375 viewsDigger77

That's 3 years old.
"Illegal immigrants" on 12:21 - Jul 21 with 4371 viewsDarth_Koont

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:16 - Jul 21 by azuremerlangus

So these ‘legal’ immigrants haven’t heard of passports, immigration control, customs & excise, passenger ferries, commercial airlines etc which everyone else uses?

It doesn’t matter. Asylum seekers have a protected legal status.

“Illegal immigrants” are those living in a country without the right to remain and who haven’t sought that right or asylum.

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:25 - Jul 21 with 4343 viewsazuremerlangus

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:21 - Jul 21 by Darth_Koont

“Illegal immigrants” are those living in a country without the right to remain and who haven’t sought that right or asylum.

So these people seeking asylum are all French?

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:31 - Jul 21 with 4313 viewslowhouseblue

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:21 - Jul 21 by Darth_Koont

so there are asylum seekers who are here entirely legally and whom we have international duties to assist, and others who are here illegally. doesn't that answer the op?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:38 - Jul 21 with 4270 viewsDarth_Koont

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:31 - Jul 21 by lowhouseblue

so there are asylum seekers who are here entirely legally and whom we have international duties to assist, and others who are here illegally. doesn't that answer the op?

An asylum seeker is someone who has sought asylum.

The clue is in the name.

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:41 - Jul 21 with 4256 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:31 - Jul 21 by lowhouseblue

I think the OP is specifically about the illegal immigrants and showing some sympathy to them and saying those bringing them here are the real criminals. Difficult to argue against the point in principle. However, have to be a little careful about how you carry on from there. Are the RNLI criminals when they pick up drowning illegal immigrants and bring them ashore? Should we simply accept anyone who wishes to come and live in this country thereby meaning there is no such thing as an illegal immigrant? These are more gritty questions that follow from the OP.

The main point (which I would agree with) is that these are generally some of the most desperate and badly treated people in the world and yet they are demonised in our current media and generally in society as a whole. That is wrong.

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:42 - Jul 21 with 4250 viewslowhouseblue

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:38 - Jul 21 by Darth_Koont

An asylum seeker is someone who has sought asylum.

The clue is in the name.

and their applications are processed and some get leave to remain and some don't.

but the ones who never apply in order to be assessed are here illegally.

we're got to the definition of illegal that the op was seeking.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:45 - Jul 21 with 4218 viewsnoggin

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:41 - Jul 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think the OP is specifically about the illegal immigrants and showing some sympathy to them and saying those bringing them here are the real criminals. Difficult to argue against the point in principle. However, have to be a little careful about how you carry on from there. Are the RNLI criminals when they pick up drowning illegal immigrants and bring them ashore? Should we simply accept anyone who wishes to come and live in this country thereby meaning there is no such thing as an illegal immigrant? These are more gritty questions that follow from the OP.

The main point (which I would agree with) is that these are generally some of the most desperate and badly treated people in the world and yet they are demonised in our current media and generally in society as a whole. That is wrong.

Actually, I was reacting to Sky News calling those landing on Kent beaches recently as "Illegal immigrants", instead of desperate humans fleeing poverty, war and famine. There is no need to label these people as illegal, imho.

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:46 - Jul 21 with 4216 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:42 - Jul 21 by lowhouseblue

and their applications are processed and some get leave to remain and some don't.

Technically yes. 100% of illegal immigrants are criminals.

However, see my reply earlier. I think their point was that we should (generally) be showing them more concern rather than the demonising approach generally taken.

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:47 - Jul 21 with 4203 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:45 - Jul 21 by noggin

Actually, I was reacting to Sky News calling those landing on Kent beaches recently as "Illegal immigrants", instead of desperate humans fleeing poverty, war and famine. There is no need to label these people as illegal, imho.

To be fair, it is almost certainly technically accurate. They would not be entering the country legally by that means.

That said, the language chosen is important and a more compassionate rhetoric generally would be good. I think that is the point you are trying to make.

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:49 - Jul 21 with 4192 viewsnoggin

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:42 - Jul 21 by lowhouseblue

I know what illegal means but as they are not registered, we don't know who they are or where they are. I'm talking about the labelling of people arriving in small boats and then seeking asylum.

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:49 - Jul 21 with 4184 viewslowhouseblue

"Illegal immigrants" on 12:41 - Jul 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

"these are generally some of the most desperate and badly treated people in the world"

in terms of those who gain asylum that is by definition true. in terms of 'economic migrants' i'd be interested in the evidence. they seem often to be young men with access to the resources to travel and pay traffickers. they may be more economically advantaged than those who can't travel in that way.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024