Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ghost ship 0.5% 20:55 - Jul 21 with 2267 viewsZXBlue

I am not a massive ghost Ship fan. However, the low alcohol one is possibly the only low / non alcoholic beer I have ever had which actually hits the spot and doesn't taste non alcoholic. Every other one I have had, has that slightly odd aftertaste and leaves me unfulfilled.

Are there any others genuinely that are good?
Ghost ship 0.5% on 21:06 - Jul 21 with 2215 viewsLord_Lucan

When my quack put me on a 6 week downer I was drinking Becks Blue, that was ok.

To be fair Ghost Ship wasn't available then otherwise I would have had it regardless.

One of the barmaids at a pub I drink at did the hilarious thing of giving me the low alcohol one for a laugh, to be fair it was ok.

Thinking about it they must have had it on draught as the silly mare wouldn't have opened a bottle for this silly prank.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ghost ship 0.5% on 21:10 - Jul 21 with 2165 viewsWeWereZombies

It's not a low alcohol beer as such but at 3% ABV Greene King's XX mild shouldn't leave you in a state after a couple of pints, if you can find it on draught I think you will also find it a very pleasant pint.

https://untappd.com/b/greene-king-xx-mild/124457

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Ghost ship 0.5% on 21:13 - Jul 21 with 2148 viewsBobbychase

It's good. Very good

But I still miss Spindrift, which was head and shoulders above all Adnams beers

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Ghost ship 0.5% on 21:26 - Jul 21 with 2079 viewsBluespeed225

Had a Beck Blue in Kwan Thai last night, 7/10, Ghost Ship at Aldburgh Mill, 5/10, BUT, for me, a San Miguel Zero at Fram’ Castle was 9/10, actually quite pleasant I thought.
Ghost ship 0.5% on 21:51 - Jul 21 with 2012 viewsstonojnr

its drinkable, which is more than can be said of some of the efforts some breweries put out, St Peters being one, that just taste like wort, basically just water with malt extract in it.

but Big Drop Brewing Co, https://www.bigdropbrew.com/ , who are also based in Ipswich, do some good tasting beers all of which are no more than 0.5%
Ghost ship 0.5% on 21:54 - Jul 21 with 1995 viewsSomethingBlue

Ghost ship 0.5% on 21:51 - Jul 21 by stonojnr

its drinkable, which is more than can be said of some of the efforts some breweries put out, St Peters being one, that just taste like wort, basically just water with malt extract in it.

but Big Drop Brewing Co, https://www.bigdropbrew.com/ , who are also based in Ipswich, do some good tasting beers all of which are no more than 0.5%

Most of Big Drop's range is stocked in my local offy (well, the local posh one) in north London, have tried them and they are very good on the whole by non-alc standards. Think Ghost Ship 0.5 is the best I've had though.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Ghost ship 0.5% on 23:40 - Jul 21 with 1815 viewshoppy

Are Away Days planning any low/non alcoholic offerings?

What would it be called if so?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Ghost ship 0.5% on 03:38 - Jul 22 with 1753 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Ghost ship 0.5% on 23:40 - Jul 21 by hoppy

Covid cough was keeping me awake, and inspiration struck:

An Alcohol Free Beer has to be called:

0-0 (or "Nil-Nil" if preferred)
Login to get fewer ads

Ghost ship 0.5% on 04:03 - Jul 22 with 1737 viewsWeWereZombies

If they could come up with a full strength Eighty Shilling Ale and call it 'Flying Scotsman' then the zero alcohol one could be launched at the same time and called 'Bus Replacement Service'?
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 4:51]

Ghost ship 0.5% on 07:11 - Jul 22 with 1661 viewshoppy

Ghost ship 0.5% on 03:38 - Jul 22 by ArnoldMoorhen

Or perhaps
Goalless Draw 0-0
Home Thrashing 0.5

Ghost ship 0.5% on 08:31 - Jul 22 with 1575 viewsCaptainAhab

Yep Ghost ship is definitely the best non/low alcohol beer.
The new Old speckled hen low alcohol version is pretty decent too, as is the new Brewdog Punk AF (very refreshing)
Ghost ship 0.5% on 09:03 - Jul 22 with 1533 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I've become a bit of an expert in this. So far for me you still can't beat Brewdog Nanny State. Ghost Ship didn't do much for me but I've only had one so maybe need to try it again.

Becks Blue, Heineken 0.0 and the Stella one are ok if a bit bland.

I recently had Brewdog Punk AF which was nice but still not as good as Nanny State, Lucky Saint - refreshing but a little too 'pale' in the taste for me (bit of a weird twang) and Drop Bear Beer Co.'s Yuzu Pale Ale which was like drinking flowers.

In short, Nanny State's still my favourite.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Ghost ship 0.5% on 09:45 - Jul 22 with 1468 viewsTIB

I've been browsing the low / 0% options over the last few months as I'm keen to add such an option to the Away Days range. Thoughts...

The generic lager options such as Heineken, Bud Zero I've found are good, to taste, they don't seem too far off the normal versions.

BrewDog...the craft market...I thought Punk AF was poor, serious lack of body and flavour, whereas Nanny State had a bit more to it.

Lucky Saint, Erdinger and St Peter's all tasted pretty nice too.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Ghost ship 0.5% on 09:49 - Jul 22 with 1459 viewsKieran_Knows

Ghost ship 0.5% on 21:26 - Jul 21 by Bluespeed225

Had a Beck Blue in Kwan Thai last night, 7/10, Ghost Ship at Aldburgh Mill, 5/10, BUT, for me, a San Miguel Zero at Fram’ Castle was 9/10, actually quite pleasant I thought.

I have to say, the one time I tried San Miguel Zero (must've been 2 years ago now), it tasted absolutely rancid.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Ghost ship 0.5% on 09:58 - Jul 22 with 1450 viewsitfcjoe

Big Drop do some nice ones, plenty of choice out there now

Ghost Ship is on tap in a few places which is great - heard a few people were getting a pint of normal, finishing half and topping up with AF, then doing so again to allow them to drink a couple of pints whilst only having one alcoholic one

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ghost ship 0.5% on 10:35 - Jul 22 with 1400 viewshoppy

Ghost ship 0.5% on 09:49 - Jul 22 by Kieran_Knows

I have to say, the one time I tried San Miguel Zero (must've been 2 years ago now), it tasted absolutely rancid.

That’s good… I think it’s excellent that they’ve managed to create their alcohol free version so close to the original then.

Ghost ship 0.5% on 10:40 - Jul 22 with 1387 viewsPhilTWTD

Ghost ship 0.5% on 09:45 - Jul 22 by TIB

I've been browsing the low / 0% options over the last few months as I'm keen to add such an option to the Away Days range. Thoughts...

The generic lager options such as Heineken, Bud Zero I've found are good, to taste, they don't seem too far off the normal versions.

BrewDog...the craft market...I thought Punk AF was poor, serious lack of body and flavour, whereas Nanny State had a bit more to it.

Lucky Saint, Erdinger and St Peter's all tasted pretty nice too.

Obviously it'll have to be the David Lowe ale.
Ghost ship 0.5% on 10:44 - Jul 22 with 1371 viewsTIB

Ghost ship 0.5% on 10:40 - Jul 22 by PhilTWTD

Obviously it'll have to be the David Lowe ale.

That or David Zerobald, match his Town appearances.

Ghost ship 0.5% on 10:54 - Jul 22 with 1359 viewsMeadowlark

Ghost ship 0.5% on 03:38 - Jul 22 by ArnoldMoorhen

"Clean Sheet?"
Ghost ship 0.5% on 11:02 - Jul 22 with 1346 viewsTIB

Hi Hoppy,

It's in the pipeline, my hope is to have a lager and pale ale option in the near future..."Nil-Nil" is one name I have on the list, I also have another that I'm keeping under wraps.

Making low / 0% beers is a harder process though and for many breweries, it's weighing up committing to larger quantities for a small (but growing) market.

Ghost ship 0.5% on 11:12 - Jul 22 with 1329 viewsPhilTWTD

Ghost ship 0.5% on 10:44 - Jul 22 by TIB

That or David Zerobald, match his Town appearances.

Very good!
Ghost ship 0.5% on 11:17 - Jul 22 with 1315 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Ghost ship 0.5% on 11:02 - Jul 22 by TIB

Hi Hoppy,

It's in the pipeline, my hope is to have a lager and pale ale option in the near future..."Nil-Nil" is one name I have on the list, I also have another that I'm keeping under wraps.

Making low / 0% beers is a harder process though and for many breweries, it's weighing up committing to larger quantities for a small (but growing) market.

You could have a session ale called Extra Time.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Ghost ship 0.5% on 11:18 - Jul 22 with 1311 viewsJamestownPrince

There should be a low alcohol version of 2 percent

ABV 2.0% called Dangerous scoreline.
Ghost ship 0.5% on 11:55 - Jul 22 with 1277 viewsWeWereZombies

Thinking on this and my previous suggestion a bit more, how about 'Designated Driver'? The idea being one person in a group is safe to get everyone else home from the away day but the beer is decent enough for them to feel part of the group and the drinking experience. It could even have a label of a Mark II Cortina driving under one of the bridges over the A12 with Town scarves our of the back windows flapping in the wind...

[edit] small typo and vintage changed to Mark II as they weren't making Cortinas between the First and Second World Wars, and I am not sure any model of Cortina deserves to be called a classic - apologies in advance for anyone who thinks so but i had both a Mark III and a Mark IV so give more some leeway on this, huh?
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 12:33]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024