Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board 10:07 - Jul 22 with 2035 viewsSteve_M

I missed this yesterday but bloody hell:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 10:14 - Jul 22 with 1601 viewsLeaky

Rediculous appiontment, no wonder the EFL are a laughing stock.
Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 10:21 - Jul 22 with 1562 viewsRegencyBlue

What could possibly go wrong! 🤔
Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 10:25 - Jul 22 with 1537 viewsGuthrum

Bloody hell indeed!

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 10:36 - Jul 22 with 1493 viewsMetal_Hacker

I hope they've got a handle on his expense account ffs

Poll: If it were one or the other

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 10:39 - Jul 22 with 1481 viewsElderGrizzly

The EFL will get a nice fish tank out of it then...
Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 10:41 - Jul 22 with 1475 viewsSwansea_Blue

Execs always seem to fall upwards, no matter how badly they do or how many rules/laws they break.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 10:43 - Jul 22 with 1459 viewsDanTheMan

Jobs for the boys.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 10:59 - Jul 22 with 1419 viewssolemio

Blimey, that sounds like an ECB type of appointment.
Login to get fewer ads

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 11:04 - Jul 22 with 1406 viewsThe_Last_Baron

This is incredible.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 11:17 - Jul 22 with 1378 viewsChurchman

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 10:43 - Jul 22 by DanTheMan

Jobs for the boys.

Agree - jobs for boys.

It’s actually pretty disgraceful that somebody as incompetent as Ridsdale should be anywhere near the EFL Board. He’s not the first useless chairman to don the football authorities blazer.
Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 11:19 - Jul 22 with 1362 viewsDarth_Koont

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 10:41 - Jul 22 by Swansea_Blue

Execs always seem to fall upwards, no matter how badly they do or how many rules/laws they break.

Indeed. Ludicrous choice.

There’s a good argument for fans, employees, ordinary shareholders etc. to be on boards just to stop that C-suite level looking after their own interests often to the detriment of the sport, business or industry.

Either that or a return to ombudsmen and women with a little more clout and a lot more independence.

Pronouns: He/Him

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 11:55 - Jul 22 with 1290 viewsOldsmoker

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 11:19 - Jul 22 by Darth_Koont

Indeed. Ludicrous choice.

There’s a good argument for fans, employees, ordinary shareholders etc. to be on boards just to stop that C-suite level looking after their own interests often to the detriment of the sport, business or industry.

Either that or a return to ombudsmen and women with a little more clout and a lot more independence.

The argument against having employees / civilians on boards is that if someone does something iffy then they are scolded rather than dismissed. A civilian would go all whistleblower and they don't want that.
An employee board member might tell the workers if the board are considering a takeover bid from another company with a reputation for sacking workers. The board must do whats right for the shareholders after all.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 11:58 - Jul 22 with 1277 viewsWeWereZombies

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 11:55 - Jul 22 by Oldsmoker

The argument against having employees / civilians on boards is that if someone does something iffy then they are scolded rather than dismissed. A civilian would go all whistleblower and they don't want that.
An employee board member might tell the workers if the board are considering a takeover bid from another company with a reputation for sacking workers. The board must do whats right for the shareholders after all.

The shareholder model rather than a stakeholder model being the root of the problem and Risdale just a symptom I guess.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 12:10 - Jul 22 with 1243 viewsDarth_Koont

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 11:55 - Jul 22 by Oldsmoker

As Zombers says it’s more about stakeholders nowadays.

Companies have many responsibilities and obligations outside of their shareholders. Like HMRC, customers, suppliers, working conditions, contract law, health and safety, the environment and corporate social responsibility etc.

Having some ethical (and more external) checks and balances to prevent greedy and reckless self-interest would seem to be an absolute imperative for a well-functioning and lasting organisation.

Pronouns: He/Him

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 12:11 - Jul 22 with 1238 viewshomer_123

Does this go towards their 'Diversity' targets? You know, having been banned from being a director?
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 12:11]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 12:16 - Jul 22 with 1211 viewsOldsmoker

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 11:58 - Jul 22 by WeWereZombies

The shareholder model rather than a stakeholder model being the root of the problem and Risdale just a symptom I guess.

The old definition of capitalism got lost somewhere and was replaced by maximising profits for the shareholders.

I liked this definition but I don't know who said it.

Capitalism is about paying your workers as much as you can to make a product that people want and can afford, and still turn a profit.

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board (n/t) on 12:20 - Jul 22 with 1191 viewsRyorry

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 10:59 - Jul 22 by solemio

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 12:21 - Jul 22 with 1185 viewsRyorry

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 10:59 - Jul 22 by solemio

Sounds like a Boris Johnson type of appointment.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 12:25 - Jul 22 with 1175 viewsOldsmoker

Maybe the EFL feel the need to be 'creative' in their financial dealings.
If you are the organisation that makes the rules then you can do what the hell you like.

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 12:27 - Jul 22 with 1168 viewsWeWereZombies

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 12:16 - Jul 22 by Oldsmoker

The old definition of capitalism got lost somewhere and was replaced by maximising profits for the shareholders.

Capitalism is about paying your workers as much as you can to make a product that people want and can afford, and still turn a profit.

That sounds like Adam Smith perhaps, although he never used the term capitalism apparently (I should have this stuff off the back of my head but I had to cut and paste your definition into a Google search and then hunt around because two thirds of the original answers were about Marx...)

https://iep.utm.edu/smith/

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 12:41 - Jul 22 with 1125 viewsOldsmoker

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 12:27 - Jul 22 by WeWereZombies

That sounds like Adam Smith perhaps, although he never used the term capitalism apparently (I should have this stuff off the back of my head but I had to cut and paste your definition into a Google search and then hunt around because two thirds of the original answers were about Marx...)

https://iep.utm.edu/smith/

Yep. Sounds like Adam Smith.
It may also have been someone wanting to make their own point by plagiarising Smith or even saying it was a direct Smith quote to give it credibilty.
Can't recall Marx using the term 'profit' either.

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 12:55 - Jul 22 with 1083 viewsvapour_trail

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 10:41 - Jul 22 by Swansea_Blue

It’s exactly this.

Regardless of your industry or sector, once you reach a certain level, you will keep on getting hired, regardless of how many times you fail. There are so many incompetent people bouncing around from job to job.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 12:58 - Jul 22 with 1074 viewsOldsmoker

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 12:55 - Jul 22 by vapour_trail

It’s exactly this.

Regardless of your industry or sector, once you reach a certain level, you will keep on getting hired, regardless of how many times you fail. There are so many incompetent people bouncing around from job to job.

Chris Grayling, to name but one.

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 13:04 - Jul 22 with 1053 viewsjaykay

i think most companies have got ' as much as possible with least as possible ' mixed up . in this day and age.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Peter Risdale appointed to EFL Board on 13:09 - Jul 22 with 1037 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Wow! A modern capitalist/Tory would see that as Marxism in its extreme.

Modern capitalism/Tory ideology is pay the worker as little as you can get away with, cut as many other costs as possible and charge as much as you can still sell the product for in order to maximise profit.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024