Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dumbing Down Sport 10:51 - Jul 22 with 2442 viewsKeno

with the 100 seemingly an attempt to dumb down cricket even further what else could be attempted?

Football - bigger goals, half hour halves, power plays where the goalies are taken off

Rugby Union - well just watch football

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:00 - Jul 22 with 1819 viewsbritbiker

Watched the 100 game last night. It was ok. But don't see the point as 20/20 is very similar. I get the idea of the teams being linked to towns rather than counties.

Maybe a one hour 50 ball game will be introduced soon.
Dumbing Down Sport on 11:05 - Jul 22 with 1805 viewswillitfc

Think those new Fifa rules being trialed are the first step towards this in football unfortunately
Dumbing Down Sport on 11:12 - Jul 22 with 1787 viewsDarth_Koont

Cricket seems a bit silly with all the different formats, though I accept you need something other than 5-day or even 1-day matches.

Think the tweaking of the rules in rugby and hockey over the years to promote a better game is something football should look at though. Offside in particular makes games horribly compressed with better athletes just squeezing the space and able to kill the game as a spectacle.

Pronouns: He/Him

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:19 - Jul 22 with 1760 viewsPhilTWTD

Two balls to double the excitement.
Dumbing Down Sport on 11:19 - Jul 22 with 1758 viewsclive_baker

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:05 - Jul 22 by willitfc

Think those new Fifa rules being trialed are the first step towards this in football unfortunately

Can't say I get the proposed changes tbh, feels like change for the sake of change to me. Kick ins instead of throw ins is a terrible suggestion. Hate the idea of unlimited subs too, takes a lot of the skill out of management.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:21 - Jul 22 with 1745 viewsKeno

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:19 - Jul 22 by PhilTWTD

England try that against Denmark, seemed to work ok

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:21 - Jul 22 with 1739 viewsPhilTWTD

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:21 - Jul 22 by Keno

England try that against Denmark, seemed to work ok

Exactly.
Dumbing Down Sport on 11:21 - Jul 22 with 1732 viewsWD19

That I would watch!
Login to get fewer ads

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:22 - Jul 22 with 1727 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:00 - Jul 22 by britbiker

Watched the 100 game last night. It was ok. But don't see the point as 20/20 is very similar. I get the idea of the teams being linked to towns rather than counties.

Maybe a one hour 50 ball game will be introduced soon.

THE SUPER OVER TOURNAMENT!

8 TEAMS - 1 WINNER ALL IN 1 DAY!
Dumbing Down Sport on 11:25 - Jul 22 with 1708 viewsgordon

I've always expected 3 team matches, with three goals, played on a hexagonal pitch to take off, but it never has.
Dumbing Down Sport on 11:27 - Jul 22 with 1688 viewsDarth_Koont

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:25 - Jul 22 by gordon

I've always expected 3 team matches, with three goals, played on a hexagonal pitch to take off, but it never has.

Oceania vs. Eurasia vs. Eastasia?

Surely only a matter of time.

Pronouns: He/Him

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:29 - Jul 22 with 1674 viewsChrisd

Thought it was fine, a decent watch and I much prefer the longer format. Who thought 20/20 would last this long? It will be interesting to see the feedback after tonight's game.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:35 - Jul 22 with 1640 viewsmonty_radio

With the way that modern cricketers have developed ways of batting to score runs off almost any type of delivery I predict that two balls would quickly see the development of two bats - maybe one in each hand or two held in a fan-like grip.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:36 - Jul 22 with 1636 viewsBlueandTruesince82

It's not an attempt to dumb down, it's a reaction to English crickets failure to take advantage of the interest and revenue that has been developed by domestic 20 20.

The IPL and the big bash both attract big money, the English 20 20 completion has been left behind so it's designed to differentiate from the big 20 20 leagues and to promote the women's game.

That sais I agree that a reset of our current 2020 competition rather than the 100 whixh feels gimmiky was in order

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:37 - Jul 22 with 1635 viewsParsley

I'd like to see them stop the clock in football when the game is stopped for an injury rather than just guessing how much time to add on at the end
Dumbing Down Sport on 11:40 - Jul 22 with 1623 viewsChrisd

What about the distance you hit the ball over the boundary equates to more runs? 60-70m = 6 runs (standard), 71-80m = 8 runs or 81-90m = 10 runs etc...
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 11:40]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:49 - Jul 22 with 1589 viewsRamRob

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:40 - Jul 22 by Chrisd

What about the distance you hit the ball over the boundary equates to more runs? 60-70m = 6 runs (standard), 71-80m = 8 runs or 81-90m = 10 runs etc...

There was a trial in the late 90s/early 2000s called Cricket MAX - if you hit it in a certain area it was double runs 8 or 12 rather than 4 or 6, or double how many you ran

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:55 - Jul 22 with 1556 viewsKeno

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:49 - Jul 22 by RamRob

There was a trial in the late 90s/early 2000s called Cricket MAX - if you hit it in a certain area it was double runs 8 or 12 rather than 4 or 6, or double how many you ran

wasn't there a period where the egg marketing people sponsored cricket and put big plaster eggs around the boundary which if a batsman got the ball to hit they won a prize for?
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 11:59]

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:58 - Jul 22 with 1547 viewsGogs

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:40 - Jul 22 by Chrisd

Ha. That reminded me of this, from about 1min 55s in. **warning: contains racist language**
Dumbing Down Sport on 11:59 - Jul 22 with 1543 viewsPhilTWTD

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:35 - Jul 22 by monty_radio

With the way that modern cricketers have developed ways of batting to score runs off almost any type of delivery I predict that two balls would quickly see the development of two bats - maybe one in each hand or two held in a fan-like grip.

I was thinking football, but it would certainly add something to cricket as well. I agree, two bats would be the next step from there. And maybe two wickets placed a couple of yards apart.
Dumbing Down Sport on 12:03 - Jul 22 with 1522 viewsKeno

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:59 - Jul 22 by PhilTWTD

I was thinking football, but it would certainly add something to cricket as well. I agree, two bats would be the next step from there. And maybe two wickets placed a couple of yards apart.

In fairness Harmison did try to pioneer something along these lines a few years back

Dumbing Down Sport on 12:03 - Jul 22 with 1521 viewsTractorWood

Go on.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Dumbing Down Sport on 12:18 - Jul 22 with 1469 viewsRamRob

Football - 3 a side, one defender, one striker, one keeper, but just one goal, only strikers can score, keepers allowed to fight MMA style.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 12:18]

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Dumbing Down Sport on 12:24 - Jul 22 with 1430 viewsIpswichKnight

Dumbing Down Sport on 11:12 - Jul 22 by Darth_Koont

Cricket seems a bit silly with all the different formats, though I accept you need something other than 5-day or even 1-day matches.

Think the tweaking of the rules in rugby and hockey over the years to promote a better game is something football should look at though. Offside in particular makes games horribly compressed with better athletes just squeezing the space and able to kill the game as a spectacle.

Best rule hockey introduced is the self pass from free hot and no one allowed to tackle for 5m ( when it’s within 5m of the attacking D the ball must travel 5m before being played in ). It’s sped the game up and encourages attacking play. Anyone getting in the way before it goes 5m finds themselves sitting out 2minutes.

I can see a way for rolling subs to come into football I think that could work.
Dumbing Down Sport on 12:27 - Jul 22 with 1424 viewsMerseyBlue

They did a three team cricket match last year, although not quite as wild as what you're suggesting, it was pretty weird. The highlights on YouTube aren't very good, but I remember BBC Sport reporting on it.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024