Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work 18:23 - Jul 22 with 2216 viewsPlums

Standing in front of an empty Oval and they’re repeatedly telling us what a great atmosphere it is! Hilarious.
I’m only watching to see if it’s as naff as it sounds. So far, it’s met expectations.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 18:23]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 18:37 - Jul 22 with 1818 viewsBaggio_is_magic

Considering they’ve been playing in front of empty stadiums for so long it probably does feel like a brilliant atmosphere.
Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:00 - Jul 22 with 1756 viewsITFCBlues

Empty? What are you watching?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:08 - Jul 22 with 1713 viewsZx1988

Why are so many people desperate to see this fail?

It's drawn good crowds and looks to be a really good atmosphere. I'm looking forward to getting to Lord's in a couple of weeks' time. Great to see so many families in there as well as the typical cricket crowd.

Plus, it's on terrestrial TV. If it introduces a few new players to the sport, then it's achieved its aim.
[Post edited 22 Jul 2021 19:12]

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:13 - Jul 22 with 1693 viewsBaggio_is_magic

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:08 - Jul 22 by Zx1988

It's drawn good crowds and looks to be a really good atmosphere. I'm looking forward to getting to Lord's in a couple of weeks' time. Great to see so many families in there as well as the typical cricket crowd.

Plus, it's on terrestrial TV. If it introduces a few new players to the sport, then it's achieved its aim.

I think it’s a brilliant idea. Reading Flintoff’s book earlier in the year it was interesting to read how he thinks this new, shorter form of the game could save cricket. Test cricket is dying in this country and there’s not enough fast paced action to keep younger fans entertained. In this format, the batters have to just go for it and it makes for a brilliant watch.
Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:16 - Jul 22 with 1675 viewsPlums

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:00 - Jul 22 by ITFCBlues

Empty? What are you watching?

It’s filled up now but is still far from the ‘full house’ they’re claiming. It’s fun listening to Tuffers and Vaughan trying to dumb their commentary down.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:17 - Jul 22 with 1668 viewsZx1988

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:13 - Jul 22 by Baggio_is_magic

I think it’s a brilliant idea. Reading Flintoff’s book earlier in the year it was interesting to read how he thinks this new, shorter form of the game could save cricket. Test cricket is dying in this country and there’s not enough fast paced action to keep younger fans entertained. In this format, the batters have to just go for it and it makes for a brilliant watch.

Agree 100%. The final overs last night were a fantastic bit of drama, with the impetus swinging from side to side.

I'm looking forward to seeing Braithwaite get in later and showing what he can do.

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:18 - Jul 22 with 1660 viewsZx1988

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:16 - Jul 22 by Plums

It’s filled up now but is still far from the ‘full house’ they’re claiming. It’s fun listening to Tuffers and Vaughan trying to dumb their commentary down.

So what you're saying is that cricket should remain cerebral, incomprehensible, and inaccessible?

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:19 - Jul 22 with 1657 viewsMerseyBlue

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:13 - Jul 22 by Baggio_is_magic

There's definitely a place for short form cricket - I hated watching test cricket until I was about 18, and it was only the 2005 Ashes series that got me interested. I just wonder if having ODIs, T20s and 100s is sustainable. It just feels like too much of a good thing.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Login to get fewer ads

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:20 - Jul 22 with 1651 viewsgtsb1966

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:17 - Jul 22 by Zx1988

Agree 100%. The final overs last night were a fantastic bit of drama, with the impetus swinging from side to side.

I'm looking forward to seeing Braithwaite get in later and showing what he can do.

You've jinxed it now. My guess is he will score 8 . Thoroughly entertaining last night and hopefully tonight will be the same.
Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:21 - Jul 22 with 1644 viewsPlums

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:08 - Jul 22 by Zx1988

Because it’ll kill county cricket. Rather than support them and make the product better, the ECB has chosen the quick buck and nonsensical franchise model. If Test cricket was on terrestrial TV, it would also introduce new players - as it did until they sold the soul of the game to Sky. I wrote to them when they did it and they basically didn’t care because participation was high...(on the back of terrestrial TV...)

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:23 - Jul 22 with 1631 viewsPlums

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:18 - Jul 22 by Zx1988

So what you're saying is that cricket should remain cerebral, incomprehensible, and inaccessible?

If T20 is cerebral, incomprehensible and inaccessible, we really have a problem with the level of education in this country.

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:42 - Jul 22 with 1564 viewsBaggio_is_magic

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:21 - Jul 22 by Plums

Because it’ll kill county cricket. Rather than support them and make the product better, the ECB has chosen the quick buck and nonsensical franchise model. If Test cricket was on terrestrial TV, it would also introduce new players - as it did until they sold the soul of the game to Sky. I wrote to them when they did it and they basically didn’t care because participation was high...(on the back of terrestrial TV...)

Children and potential supporters are much more likely to get into cricket watching these short-form superstars spanking the ball everywhere as opposed to Sibley hitting an 8-hour hundred.
Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:43 - Jul 22 with 1546 viewsPlums

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:42 - Jul 22 by Baggio_is_magic

Children and potential supporters are much more likely to get into cricket watching these short-form superstars spanking the ball everywhere as opposed to Sibley hitting an 8-hour hundred.

But T20 already exists. Why subdivide it further?

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:46 - Jul 22 with 1526 viewsFPL_Tractor

I spose the question is if Surrey were playing Lancs tonight in the Blast would the crowd be any different? I don’t think so (I’ve definitely been in full houses at Surrey) so on that measure it’s a wasted load of marketing. However the girls game yesterday definitely had a bigger crowd so I wonder if the women’s tournament will be the big success?

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:46 - Jul 22 with 1524 viewsEastTownBlue

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:21 - Jul 22 by Plums

Probably the ECB's way of competing with the IPL and the Big Bash.

T20 is a big source of income to the smaller counties. Sadly few turn up for the longer format of the game at that level. Other than being slightly different, I'm not sure of the apeal of the Hundred over T20.
Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:52 - Jul 22 with 1490 viewsPendejo

Was plenty busy outside when I went past.

Was on Vauxhall Bridge facing in direction of The Oval when they let off the fireworks and the coloured smoke.

The Beehive was as busy as usual on matchdays. Plenty of people queuing up, atmos probably coming from bars underneath the stands.

Love / hate Oval area on matchdays.

Love seeing crowds of fans
Hate the effect it has on traffic

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:57 - Jul 22 with 1458 viewsFPL_Tractor

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 19:46 - Jul 22 by EastTownBlue

Probably the ECB's way of competing with the IPL and the Big Bash.

T20 is a big source of income to the smaller counties. Sadly few turn up for the longer format of the game at that level. Other than being slightly different, I'm not sure of the apeal of the Hundred over T20.

For the Men I wonder if they’d just had a Blast Division 1 it would have done the same job for less money.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 20:15 - Jul 22 with 1376 viewsRyorry

I watched it for a whole minute & found it unbearable after that.

Those hideous graphics in those lurid colours on 3 sides of our (42") screen actually hurt my eyes.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 22:05 - Jul 22 with 1217 viewswoodbridge_blue

I was there tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. A few teething problems to sort out behind the scenes (some of the bars were crammed), but a significant number of kids and families. And a good game too.

I suppose it's a question of how to fit all the formats in successfully but for a first attempt tonight it definitely worked
Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 22:08 - Jul 22 with 1207 viewsjimmyvet

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 22:05 - Jul 22 by woodbridge_blue

I was there tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. A few teething problems to sort out behind the scenes (some of the bars were crammed), but a significant number of kids and families. And a good game too.

I suppose it's a question of how to fit all the formats in successfully but for a first attempt tonight it definitely worked

Yes excellent not ever going to replace test cricket but if it gets younger generations to enjoy the game then that can only be good news.
Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 22:35 - Jul 22 with 1161 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Over 18000 people in there tonight, all looked like they were having a great time

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 22:42 - Jul 22 with 1150 viewsGeorge03

After watching both games now, I’m still not a fan of the format and find it a bit cringe to watch on the tv. I don’t see the difference in enjoyment of watching tonight game to watching a blast game.
However you can already see the benefit it will have on the women’s games, as you would not get that sort of crowd/atmosphere for a women’s county game.
Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 23:06 - Jul 22 with 1098 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Test cricket really isn't dying in this country. Grounds have a much higher capacity than back in the 80s and will sell out (pre Covid) for Australia and India.

Test cricket has died in the West Indies. Years of rows between the administrators and the players have taken their toll, and the most gifted have often made themselves unavailable for selection and roam the world's white ball leagues.
Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 23:22 - Jul 22 with 1068 viewsBaggio_is_magic

Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 23:06 - Jul 22 by ArnoldMoorhen

Test cricket really isn't dying in this country. Grounds have a much higher capacity than back in the 80s and will sell out (pre Covid) for Australia and India.

Test cricket has died in the West Indies. Years of rows between the administrators and the players have taken their toll, and the most gifted have often made themselves unavailable for selection and roam the world's white ball leagues.

In fairness I was referring more to test cricket at county level. Of course there is still big/sold out crowds for England games no matter what the format.
Turned the Hundred on and it’s like watching Comical Ali at work on 23:30 - Jul 22 with 1056 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Literally just got back from the game. Great atmosphere, singing from the crowd and a (mostly) full Oval. My son absolutely loved it which I think is mainly the point.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024