Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What has surprised you about this Transfer window? 07:08 - Jul 23 with 1798 viewschrismakin

Mine is the lack of Bristol City players. Not saying there was anyone specific I would take personally as dont know much about the squad, however with M/A involvement it's been quite surprising.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 07:34 - Jul 23 with 1693 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

I’m gobsmacked we haven’t signed Didier Drogba given his connection with the owners.

Shocking oversight by the club tbh.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 08:11 - Jul 23 with 1610 viewsKeaneish

1.The fact we’ve nearly rebuilt a squad and barely spent more than we’ve recouped on sales.
2. Downes hasn’t found a club yet
3. Everyone seems very happy despite the end of season TWTD hysteria

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 08:30 - Jul 23 with 1539 viewsKieran_Knows

Ashton doesn't have a say in what players were after though, he even said that the other week IIRC.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 08:39 - Jul 23 with 1482 viewschicoazul

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 08:30 - Jul 23 by Kieran_Knows

Ashton doesn't have a say in what players were after though, he even said that the other week IIRC.

This is pure speculation on my part but I agree up to a point, I do however think Cook is on an Evans contract and Evans always gave his manager full and total control on staff and transfers within the budget. The next Manager we appoint will more likely be a Coach with Ashton and co in total control on transfers. Cook will say I want Piggott and Bonne; our next coach will say I want two forwards, and work with whoever the club brings in. That will be the difference I believe going forward.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 08:41 - Jul 23 with 1468 viewsKieran_Knows

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 08:39 - Jul 23 by chicoazul

This is pure speculation on my part but I agree up to a point, I do however think Cook is on an Evans contract and Evans always gave his manager full and total control on staff and transfers within the budget. The next Manager we appoint will more likely be a Coach with Ashton and co in total control on transfers. Cook will say I want Piggott and Bonne; our next coach will say I want two forwards, and work with whoever the club brings in. That will be the difference I believe going forward.

You're probably right, especially with the recruitment people Ashton talked about having in by Xmas!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 08:43 - Jul 23 with 1454 viewsKropotkin123

So far, every player seems like an improvement verses last season.

Just how many people we have let go. Bringing in 8 players and still thinking we look a little short for a campaign.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 08:43 - Jul 23 with 1462 viewsPhilTWTD

Wes Burns was a Bristol City player prior to Fleetwood. As others are saying, it's Paul Cook and his staff who are identifying the players we're signing. The data-led approach is yet to get up and running, it's more traditional scouting that's driving this summer.
What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 08:46 - Jul 23 with 1439 viewschicoazul

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 08:43 - Jul 23 by Kropotkin123

So far, every player seems like an improvement verses last season.

Just how many people we have let go. Bringing in 8 players and still thinking we look a little short for a campaign.

It’s like van Gall and Mourinho’s time at Man U; loads of players coming and money being spent, and still holes everywhere in the squad.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2021 8:46]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Login to get fewer ads

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 08:47 - Jul 23 with 1421 viewsPhilTWTD

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 08:39 - Jul 23 by chicoazul

Not sure it will ever be quite like that. Whoever is manager will have a big role in recruitment even once the data-driven approach is in place. Ashton did actually explain how things will work on his first day.

Ashton: Priority is to Get Some Players In 1st Jun 2021 15:25
New CEO Mark Ashton says the priority is to get some players in and has spoken about the current position with potential ins and outs - there could be signings in the next week - and how recruitment will work at Town going forward. 18

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 08:54 - Jul 23 with 1362 viewschicoazul

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 08:47 - Jul 23 by PhilTWTD

Not sure it will ever be quite like that. Whoever is manager will have a big role in recruitment even once the data-driven approach is in place. Ashton did actually explain how things will work on his first day.

Ashton: Priority is to Get Some Players In 1st Jun 2021 15:25
New CEO Mark Ashton says the priority is to get some players in and has spoken about the current position with potential ins and outs - there could be signings in the next week - and how recruitment will work at Town going forward. 18

I’m sure that’s how it works now but I think it will be different once Ashton appoints his own Manager (not to say Cook wasn’t who he would have got anyway). They won’t be putting all that money into staff on sports science analysis and recruitment (if Barron is still incoming) only to have a Manager cock it up by buying I dunno, Colin Quaner and giving him a five year contract. And I note Ashton talks about the “type of player” Cook wants.

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 08:59 - Jul 23 with 1329 viewsPhilTWTD

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 08:54 - Jul 23 by chicoazul

I’m sure that’s how it works now but I think it will be different once Ashton appoints his own Manager (not to say Cook wasn’t who he would have got anyway). They won’t be putting all that money into staff on sports science analysis and recruitment (if Barron is still incoming) only to have a Manager cock it up by buying I dunno, Colin Quaner and giving him a five year contract. And I note Ashton talks about the “type of player” Cook wants.

The manager/head coach will be more involved than you suggest, I think. Ashton is a chief exec, not a sporting director.
What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 09:02 - Jul 23 with 1307 viewsMetal_Hacker

For me personally I feel like I'm starting the season slightly blind due to the lack of knowledge about the players we've brought in for the most .

Evans aside and the very little I know of Piggott,Burns and Fraser I know nothing really about the others guys other than what I've researched myself on YouTube and read about them

In some respects it makes it slightly more exciting but yeah that's what's surprised me the most

Poll: If it were one or the other

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 09:14 - Jul 23 with 1266 viewsMullet

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 08:43 - Jul 23 by PhilTWTD

Wes Burns was a Bristol City player prior to Fleetwood. As others are saying, it's Paul Cook and his staff who are identifying the players we're signing. The data-led approach is yet to get up and running, it's more traditional scouting that's driving this summer.

Maybe it's spin, maybe it's not but Ashton gave me the feeling in his KOA interview he sort of checks Cook's homework as it were. There is a sort of "here's what the dashboard says" as they go into a deal.

My own qualm is the lack of replacement for Chambers and people being ok with that likewise losing Gibbs as we have.

Let us not dwell on the fact pitchforks did not come out to keep Andre here.....

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 09:15 - Jul 23 with 1250 viewsNazemariner

As has been said, the fact that Flynn Downes is still an Ipswich Town player.
What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 09:16 - Jul 23 with 1246 viewschicoazul

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 09:14 - Jul 23 by Mullet

Maybe it's spin, maybe it's not but Ashton gave me the feeling in his KOA interview he sort of checks Cook's homework as it were. There is a sort of "here's what the dashboard says" as they go into a deal.

My own qualm is the lack of replacement for Chambers and people being ok with that likewise losing Gibbs as we have.

Let us not dwell on the fact pitchforks did not come out to keep Andre here.....

He wanted to leave.

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 09:18 - Jul 23 with 1237 viewsyesjohn99

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 09:02 - Jul 23 by Metal_Hacker

For me personally I feel like I'm starting the season slightly blind due to the lack of knowledge about the players we've brought in for the most .

Evans aside and the very little I know of Piggott,Burns and Fraser I know nothing really about the others guys other than what I've researched myself on YouTube and read about them

In some respects it makes it slightly more exciting but yeah that's what's surprised me the most

I knew nothing of Clapham, Wilnes, Holland or McGreal.
What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 09:26 - Jul 23 with 1176 viewsPhilTWTD

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 09:14 - Jul 23 by Mullet

I don't think the situation would be as dictatorial as that. And, as I say, all the targets are coming from Cook and staff this summer. Obviously MA will have some input but his role is the money side.
What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 09:31 - Jul 23 with 1100 viewsMullet

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 09:16 - Jul 23 by chicoazul

He wanted to leave.

So would you if the club had left it as an afterthought. I get there has been a lot going on and massive changes etc. But the level of applauding everything and not acknowledging it's going to a bit wavy is really significant.

Maybe we are super ruthless now and it means no more yoots pretty much?

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 09:37 - Jul 23 with 1059 viewschicoazul

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 09:31 - Jul 23 by Mullet

So would you if the club had left it as an afterthought. I get there has been a lot going on and massive changes etc. But the level of applauding everything and not acknowledging it's going to a bit wavy is really significant.

Maybe we are super ruthless now and it means no more yoots pretty much?

That’s my real fear now. I think there has been a subtle change to Klugs role too now. I worry they are going to close the academy in the next couple of years. Why develop your own Rakheem Harper when you can buy a ready made one off the shelf?

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 09:54 - Jul 23 with 984 viewsFPL_Tractor

Genuinely the thing that most surprised me is we got fees (no matter how small) for Drinan and Hawkins in a depressed market with plenty of out of contract players. The most I was expecting was loans for these type of players with us still having to pay a decent chuck of their wages.

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 10:38 - Jul 23 with 879 viewsMullet

What has surprised you about this Transfer window? on 09:26 - Jul 23 by PhilTWTD

I don't think the situation would be as dictatorial as that. And, as I say, all the targets are coming from Cook and staff this summer. Obviously MA will have some input but his role is the money side.

Cheers Hambo.

My own naivety perhaps.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024