Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kundai Benyu 09:15 - Jul 23 with 2807 viewsOwainG1992

Someone posted just now about it being interesting if the lad Gibbs does a Benyu.
Naturally first thing I do is search where he is now.

He plays for Vestri a 2nd tier Icelandic side.

Previous team were the mighty Wealdstone Raiders.

Grass ain't always greener!

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Kundai Benyu on 09:39 - Jul 23 with 2376 viewsWickets

I take no pleasure in the fact that this young man like thousands of other kids never lived up to expectations . Yes he was a rather headstrong young man who maybe was treated badly by Big Mick ( from what i know from the family ) . But the other side of the coin is he made a lot of money from his short time in Scotland so who is to say he went on the wrong path . Let's be honest if as a boy you were offered a large signing on fee would you say no ?
Kundai Benyu on 09:42 - Jul 23 with 2358 viewsitfcjoe

Kundai Benyu on 09:39 - Jul 23 by Wickets

I take no pleasure in the fact that this young man like thousands of other kids never lived up to expectations . Yes he was a rather headstrong young man who maybe was treated badly by Big Mick ( from what i know from the family ) . But the other side of the coin is he made a lot of money from his short time in Scotland so who is to say he went on the wrong path . Let's be honest if as a boy you were offered a large signing on fee would you say no ?

Ipswich thought they had a one year option on him which they tried to take, turned out the contract wasn't written correctly and he was actually available.

Celtic had already offered him a 4 year contract before we offered him anything, of the back of a loan spell in non-league - an absolute no brainer for him to go and totally the right decision to do so.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Kundai Benyu on 09:43 - Jul 23 with 2335 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Kundai Benyu on 09:39 - Jul 23 by Wickets

Did he make a lot of money in Celtic? Can't have been on that much as youngster going into a development side.

Also my understanding was that Mick didn't like his attitude after his trial with spurs, the inference being Benyu though Spurs were going to sign him and so he no longer career about Ipswich.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Kundai Benyu on 09:43 - Jul 23 with 2329 viewsCheltenham_Blue

https://thecelticstar.com/celtics-9-in-a-rows-bit-part-bhoys-kundai-benyu-the-mo

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Kundai Benyu on 09:50 - Jul 23 with 2275 viewsMattinLondon

Kundai Benyu on 09:42 - Jul 23 by itfcjoe

Ipswich thought they had a one year option on him which they tried to take, turned out the contract wasn't written correctly and he was actually available.

Celtic had already offered him a 4 year contract before we offered him anything, of the back of a loan spell in non-league - an absolute no brainer for him to go and totally the right decision to do so.

Joe, not sure if you will know the answer to this.

If Cooks really liked him would we have made more of an effort to keep Gibbs? My understanding is that he didn’t really want to leave but that the club refused to budge from its original offer?

Thanks in advance.
Kundai Benyu on 09:56 - Jul 23 with 2214 viewsitfcjoe

Kundai Benyu on 09:50 - Jul 23 by MattinLondon

Joe, not sure if you will know the answer to this.

If Cooks really liked him would we have made more of an effort to keep Gibbs? My understanding is that he didn’t really want to leave but that the club refused to budge from its original offer?

Thanks in advance.

I can only really go on tidbits I've heard.......but sounds like this just fell down the priority list with all that was going on, and by the time it tried to be sorted too much damage had been done with regards to lack of interest shown (and subsequent interest from elsewhere), plus the attempt at that time was too weak.

Phil has noted terms were offered at back end of 2020 which were deemed unacceptable, then we tried to renegotiate again all we did was offer the same terms he day before it expired!

I guess by time we got round to renegotiatiing, it needed to be a proper offer with a proper pathway which we didn't make - he's signed a 4 year deal at norwich

Kundai Benyu on 10:07 - Jul 23 with 2109 viewsMattinLondon

Kundai Benyu on 09:56 - Jul 23 by itfcjoe

I can only really go on tidbits I've heard.......but sounds like this just fell down the priority list with all that was going on, and by the time it tried to be sorted too much damage had been done with regards to lack of interest shown (and subsequent interest from elsewhere), plus the attempt at that time was too weak.

Phil has noted terms were offered at back end of 2020 which were deemed unacceptable, then we tried to renegotiate again all we did was offer the same terms he day before it expired!

I guess by time we got round to renegotiatiing, it needed to be a proper offer with a proper pathway which we didn't make - he's signed a 4 year deal at norwich

Thanks Joe.
So down to a combination of incompetence by the previous administration and having too much to do for the new managerial team?

Hopefully with Ashton etc in place this situation won’t happen again - obviously young players will move on - but not under these circumstances.
Kundai Benyu on 10:12 - Jul 23 with 2066 viewsitfcjoe

Kundai Benyu on 10:07 - Jul 23 by MattinLondon

Thanks Joe.
So down to a combination of incompetence by the previous administration and having too much to do for the new managerial team?

Hopefully with Ashton etc in place this situation won’t happen again - obviously young players will move on - but not under these circumstances.

Yep, sloppy from the club - but with caveat that they've obviously had a lot to do since takeover - but can't happen again.

Login to get fewer ads

Kundai Benyu on 10:16 - Jul 23 with 2029 viewsMattinLondon

Kundai Benyu on 10:12 - Jul 23 by itfcjoe

Yep, sloppy from the club - but with caveat that they've obviously had a lot to do since takeover - but can't happen again.

Whilst you here Joe, any youngsters currently at the club who the coaching staff are really excited about? I know there’s a lot of talk about Elkan Baggott - but anyone else?
Kundai Benyu on 10:18 - Jul 23 with 1994 viewsitfcjoe

Kundai Benyu on 10:16 - Jul 23 by MattinLondon

Whilst you here Joe, any youngsters currently at the club who the coaching staff are really excited about? I know there’s a lot of talk about Elkan Baggott - but anyone else?

Albie Armin and Cameron Humphreys seem to be the ones being pushed currently from the 2nd year scholars, Nico Valentine from the 1st years.

Be interesting to see how any of them do tomorrow for first team

Kundai Benyu on 10:22 - Jul 23 with 1920 viewsMattinLondon

Kundai Benyu on 10:18 - Jul 23 by itfcjoe

Albie Armin and Cameron Humphreys seem to be the ones being pushed currently from the 2nd year scholars, Nico Valentine from the 1st years.

Thanks Joe.
Kundai Benyu on 10:23 - Jul 23 with 1908 viewsWickets

Kundai Benyu on 09:42 - Jul 23 by itfcjoe

Yes that is more or less what i was told Thanks . He did very well for "the Shot's" in non league i remember .
Kundai Benyu on 10:26 - Jul 23 with 1854 viewsWestcountryblue

Kundai had attitude problems, both with academy coaches and McCarthy.

Liam Gibbs by all accounts is a model pro and a nice lad. He will 100% make it in the game providing he stays clear of injuries.

Dissapointed that Liam didn't at least thank the academy for all of their coaching efforts having been at the club since the age of 9 in his press comments.
Kundai Benyu on 10:31 - Jul 23 with 1800 viewsWickets

Kundai Benyu on 09:43 - Jul 23 by BlueandTruesince82

Did he make a lot of money in Celtic? Can't have been on that much as youngster going into a development side.

Also my understanding was that Mick didn't like his attitude after his trial with spurs, the inference being Benyu though Spurs were going to sign him and so he no longer career about Ipswich.

Depends what you think is a lot of money and i dont claim to know the exact details but he did pocket more than you would expect a young kid to get offered and his family would tell you he has turned into a very responsable you man .
Kundai Benyu on 10:37 - Jul 23 with 1731 viewsMattinLondon

Kundai Benyu on 10:31 - Jul 23 by Wickets

Depends what you think is a lot of money and i dont claim to know the exact details but he did pocket more than you would expect a young kid to get offered and his family would tell you he has turned into a very responsable you man .

But he’s now playing in the Icelandic second division. He may well have earned much more money with Celtic but his career has gone downhill since then.

I’m not saying that his career would have been a lot different if he had stayed here but it looks like short term gain over long term career.
Kundai Benyu on 10:46 - Jul 23 with 1643 viewsWickets

Kundai Benyu on 10:37 - Jul 23 by MattinLondon

But he’s now playing in the Icelandic second division. He may well have earned much more money with Celtic but his career has gone downhill since then.

I’m not saying that his career would have been a lot different if he had stayed here but it looks like short term gain over long term career.

Very true and we will never know but he was going nowhere here and as most fans where at the time very disillusioned with the club , it was a no brainer for him to move on and he just took the best offer .
Kundai Benyu on 10:53 - Jul 23 with 1580 viewsitfcjoe

Kundai Benyu on 10:37 - Jul 23 by MattinLondon

He was in a pretty chaotic situation as well, 16 years old and living with friends/family in London as parents back in Zimbabwe, commuting up and down to Ipswich on his own etc.

Kundai Benyu on 11:03 - Jul 23 with 1482 viewsWickets

Kundai Benyu on 10:53 - Jul 23 by itfcjoe

He was in a pretty chaotic situation as well, 16 years old and living with friends/family in London as parents back in Zimbabwe, commuting up and down to Ipswich on his own etc.

There is always another side to these stories and some of the comments that are made by football fans !! just read what some are saying regards Gibbs .
Kundai Benyu on 11:04 - Jul 23 with 1467 viewsjayessess

People often say this about kids who leave us and don't succeed, but it strikes me that the likeliest reason a player doesn't succeed is that they simply didn't have the ability and were never going to.

Far better to fail on good money than bad money.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Kundai Benyu on 11:05 - Jul 23 with 1456 viewsJ2BLUE

Grass isn't always greener, well no sh1t.

I don't think anyone can blame Benyu for taking the logical choice.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Kundai Benyu on 11:07 - Jul 23 with 1447 viewsMattinLondon

Kundai Benyu on 10:53 - Jul 23 by itfcjoe

I remember being on the way to work once at Liverpool Street and seeing a small young coming off the tube wearing an ITFC tracksuit. I remember being quite surprised- could have been him.

I surprised, what with child’s welfare etc being a big thing that he was allowed to commute like that.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2021 11:08]
Kundai Benyu on 11:08 - Jul 23 with 1438 viewsclive_baker

Not sure there's any reason why Benyu's development would offer any indication as to Gibbs', just because they've both decided to leave. It may work out for him, it may not, but ultimately you'll never know what the alternative will look like, and there's so many variables that come into it. There's tons of players than have stayed put over the years when perhaps they could've moved on who haven't broken through, who knows if things would've been different for them.

Liam Gibbs is a good player for sure, shown a lot of promise and he's in a great environment at Norwich (as much as it pains me to say it) to continue his development. You would have to say it's a very good move for him.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Kundai Benyu on 11:10 - Jul 23 with 1414 viewsMattinLondon

Kundai Benyu on 11:03 - Jul 23 by Wickets

There is always another side to these stories and some of the comments that are made by football fans !! just read what some are saying regards Gibbs .

Tbf the vast majority of comments on this site - including forum and news - seem to be quite understanding to why he left.
Kundai Benyu on 11:47 - Jul 23 with 1202 viewsBluefields

Kundai Benyu on 10:18 - Jul 23 by itfcjoe

I saw Valentine watching an under 18's game at Framlingham last night as his school friend was playing. Very grounded young man.
Kundai Benyu on 11:57 - Jul 23 with 1150 viewsitfcjoe

Kundai Benyu on 11:08 - Jul 23 by clive_baker

Not sure there's any reason why Benyu's development would offer any indication as to Gibbs', just because they've both decided to leave. It may work out for him, it may not, but ultimately you'll never know what the alternative will look like, and there's so many variables that come into it. There's tons of players than have stayed put over the years when perhaps they could've moved on who haven't broken through, who knows if things would've been different for them.

Liam Gibbs is a good player for sure, shown a lot of promise and he's in a great environment at Norwich (as much as it pains me to say it) to continue his development. You would have to say it's a very good move for him.

4 year deal for Gibbs at Norwich as well

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024