Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gibbs Gone 09:57 - Jul 23 with 1829 viewstimothyeo

I'll be honest due to not hearing much about it I was really crossing my fingers it wasn't happening and he was going to stay.

Still can't believe the club let one of our best young prospects leave without much of a fight, but hopefully compensation will help us short term at the very least.
Gibbs Gone on 10:17 - Jul 23 with 1726 viewsMattinLondon

It happened, poor from the club, he could have a really good career or he could not really kick on.

Time will tell.
Gibbs Gone on 10:20 - Jul 23 with 1699 viewstimothyeo

Gibbs Gone on 10:17 - Jul 23 by MattinLondon

It happened, poor from the club, he could have a really good career or he could not really kick on.

Time will tell.

Yep, we won't know that till it happens (or doesn't). All we know is he's obviously very highly rated simply by the fact Norwich, Southampton, Leeds were all interested and they're playing 2 divisions above us.

Like I say, if the compensation money helps us with a first team player this season that's one positive, but overall the entire situation is a little pathetic from the club. Hopefully, lessons are learned moving forwards.
Gibbs Gone on 11:32 - Jul 23 with 1506 viewsChurchman

Reading what the player said, it doesn’t look like he wanted to stay. When somebody says ‘I’ve got to do what’s best for my career’ that tells me a Premier League club over a mid table League One club is an obvious choice. Norwich must be laughing their heads off. I would be in their shoes.

Whether it’s a case of poor management from the club’s perspective, I don’t know. It’s any easy thing to say, but I suspect the rules now surrounding young players favouring the PL clubs meant we were always going to be shafted. We have also got a club that’s been neglected so badly, I can’t see why a young player would stay if a good offer from a big club came in. I’d be interested to hear the full story/club’s perspective on this.

However, it looks like internal matters whether transfers of situations such as this are handled now out of the public arena. Frustrating though this is, I think it’s a good thing overall.

Finally, Gibbs is 19 in 5 months time. He is not that young a prospect when I think if Burley, Beattie and Dyer. There’s no guarantee he will make the grade and as essentially a new club in the making, we have bigger things to concern ourselves with. Move on.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2021 11:33]
Gibbs Gone on 11:51 - Jul 23 with 1400 viewsN2_Blue

Gibbs Gone on 11:32 - Jul 23 by Churchman

Reading what the player said, it doesn’t look like he wanted to stay. When somebody says ‘I’ve got to do what’s best for my career’ that tells me a Premier League club over a mid table League One club is an obvious choice. Norwich must be laughing their heads off. I would be in their shoes.

Whether it’s a case of poor management from the club’s perspective, I don’t know. It’s any easy thing to say, but I suspect the rules now surrounding young players favouring the PL clubs meant we were always going to be shafted. We have also got a club that’s been neglected so badly, I can’t see why a young player would stay if a good offer from a big club came in. I’d be interested to hear the full story/club’s perspective on this.

However, it looks like internal matters whether transfers of situations such as this are handled now out of the public arena. Frustrating though this is, I think it’s a good thing overall.

Finally, Gibbs is 19 in 5 months time. He is not that young a prospect when I think if Burley, Beattie and Dyer. There’s no guarantee he will make the grade and as essentially a new club in the making, we have bigger things to concern ourselves with. Move on.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2021 11:33]

Nice when a poster puts a sensible and reasoned point across rather than wets the bed about letting a player go that we haven't actually 'let go' and don't know the exact details of why he decided to turn down our offer.

Our offer was never going to be able to match those of PL clubs, so it's not a huge surprise that he ended up declining our offer once confirmed PL interest was there.

If he made the demand that he'd consider staying if guaranteed a first team place then we did the right thing in not agreeing to that.

I still believe if he really was going to be a huge thing he would have broken into the team last year, looked a bit overwhelmed when he did get a first team opportunity.

No doubt he is talented and will have a great career but I'm not going to cry about it. I think people get overly upset by it because he's happened to go to that lot up the road.

The compensation still shows the academy is worth the effort and cost that goes in. Hopefully we will soon nurture one into the first team but we need to be a level above otherwise anyone potentially decent will leave as higher clubs can offer far more as has most likely happened with Gibbs.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Gibbs Gone on 12:09 - Jul 23 with 1310 viewsSE1blue

Genuinely surprised by the upset his departure is causing.

Barely heard of guy who couldn’t break into one of our worst teams ever. This isn’t sour grapes, I wish him well for the future but this isn’t like selling Taricco or Dozzell or players to charlton for peanuts.

The season needs to start so we can get upset about things that actually matter.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Gibbs Gone on 12:11 - Jul 23 with 1297 viewstimothyeo

Gibbs Gone on 11:51 - Jul 23 by N2_Blue

Nice when a poster puts a sensible and reasoned point across rather than wets the bed about letting a player go that we haven't actually 'let go' and don't know the exact details of why he decided to turn down our offer.

Our offer was never going to be able to match those of PL clubs, so it's not a huge surprise that he ended up declining our offer once confirmed PL interest was there.

If he made the demand that he'd consider staying if guaranteed a first team place then we did the right thing in not agreeing to that.

I still believe if he really was going to be a huge thing he would have broken into the team last year, looked a bit overwhelmed when he did get a first team opportunity.

No doubt he is talented and will have a great career but I'm not going to cry about it. I think people get overly upset by it because he's happened to go to that lot up the road.

The compensation still shows the academy is worth the effort and cost that goes in. Hopefully we will soon nurture one into the first team but we need to be a level above otherwise anyone potentially decent will leave as higher clubs can offer far more as has most likely happened with Gibbs.

I'm not surprised that he went to a PL club offer over a L1 offer, that's not the issue.

If you pay attention to what Phil has said throughout, the suggestion is Gibbs was actually happy to stay with us but wanted a more fair wage to match his abilities (apparently in the hundreds of pounds) and probably to feel a bit more wanted. The fact the club didn't even try and re-instigate things and work with a little persuasion is the most disappointing thing, and i'm going by what i've read from Phil and itfcjoe, both of whom I trust.
Gibbs Gone on 12:12 - Jul 23 with 1286 viewsJ2BLUE

Gibbs Gone on 10:20 - Jul 23 by timothyeo

Yep, we won't know that till it happens (or doesn't). All we know is he's obviously very highly rated simply by the fact Norwich, Southampton, Leeds were all interested and they're playing 2 divisions above us.

Like I say, if the compensation money helps us with a first team player this season that's one positive, but overall the entire situation is a little pathetic from the club. Hopefully, lessons are learned moving forwards.

Not knocking him at all because he might end up having a great career but it's worth remembering that taking punts on players like his costs Prem clubs peanuts.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Gibbs Gone on 13:28 - Jul 23 with 1091 viewstimothyeo

Gibbs Gone on 12:12 - Jul 23 by J2BLUE

Not knocking him at all because he might end up having a great career but it's worth remembering that taking punts on players like his costs Prem clubs peanuts.

Yeah, I get they can 'afford to get it wrong' but how many other players in our academy have been watched for a long time by several Premier League Clubs
Login to get fewer ads

Gibbs Gone on 13:39 - Jul 23 with 1030 viewsChurchman

Gibbs Gone on 13:28 - Jul 23 by timothyeo

Yeah, I get they can 'afford to get it wrong' but how many other players in our academy have been watched for a long time by several Premier League Clubs

Not many are looked at by the big boys. Kieron Dyer’s comment on the quality of the players our academy has produced in the last ten years was very telling.

The players that have actually made it into our first team have hardly ripped up the Championship or League One either. The academy, along with everything else isn’t good enough. It’s a case of invest in it properly (none of this ‘we missed Cat One by 1% rubbish) or scrap it as there’s no point producing players for Cambridge and Milton Keynes.

I hope it’s the former and I think that’s what the owners will do, if they have the money, but it will take time and better facilities and staff.
Gibbs Gone on 13:51 - Jul 23 with 996 viewsWallingford_Boy

We've lost a player who was doing "quite well" in our under 23 squad.

Nowhere near the first team and not a 16 year old anymore.

Not a huge loss IMO.

RIP Sir Bobby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024