Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? 15:10 - Jul 24 with 1483 viewsRyorry

Some great gymnastics this morning, but I'm finding these Games harder to get into than usual - as with regular sport during the pandemic till recently, the absence of crowds & atmosphere is diminishing enjoyment.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

[Redacted] on 15:15 - Jul 24 with 1462 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 15:19 - Jul 24 with 1447 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yep, watched the opening ceremony last night and then the live swimming this morning. The kids are swimmers, so we have a special interest in that. Plus two of their swim club mates - Alys Thomas, 200m fly and Dan Jarvis, 1500m freestyle - are competing at some point.

Not sure I’ll be watching much live when back at work, but will probably watch the highlight shows each night.

Although must admit I was glad I didn’t get up early to watch Geraint Thomas fall off his bike, again!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 15:22 - Jul 24 with 1430 viewsIllinoisblue

No, haven’t and won’t watch any of it. Glorified school sports day.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 15:26 - Jul 24 with 1408 viewsRyorry

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 15:22 - Jul 24 by Illinoisblue

No, haven’t and won’t watch any of it. Glorified school sports day.

Gordon Bennet, what does that make watching us then?!

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 15:30 - Jul 24 with 1401 viewsRyorry

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 15:19 - Jul 24 by Swansea_Blue

Yep, watched the opening ceremony last night and then the live swimming this morning. The kids are swimmers, so we have a special interest in that. Plus two of their swim club mates - Alys Thomas, 200m fly and Dan Jarvis, 1500m freestyle - are competing at some point.

Not sure I’ll be watching much live when back at work, but will probably watch the highlight shows each night.

Although must admit I was glad I didn’t get up early to watch Geraint Thomas fall off his bike, again!

Fantastic re your youngsters' clubmates, well done them for getting into the team, an achievement in itself. Will give 'em a watch if you're around & can give me a heads up?

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 15:32 - Jul 24 with 1388 viewswkj

I haven't managed to muster any effort to watch this time around.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 16:39 - Jul 24 with 1335 viewsIllinoisblue

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 15:26 - Jul 24 by Ryorry

Gordon Bennet, what does that make watching us then?!

Torture 😄

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 16:45 - Jul 24 with 1316 viewsJ2BLUE

Watched a little bit of fencing, football, beach volleyball, swimming and volleyball so far.

All been a bit bitty at the moment where coverage keeps jumping. Looking forward to watching some decent extended diving, handball and water polo.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 17:10 - Jul 24 with 1269 viewsMerseyBlue

Watched the ceremony yesterday, haven't seen as much of the sport as I would like due to the time difference. Caught the end of the GB women's football against Japan earlier and then some highlights of the judo and swimming. At least the coverage on BBC fills you in with what you've missed.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 23:05 - Jul 26 with 1115 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 15:30 - Jul 24 by Ryorry

Fantastic re your youngsters' clubmates, well done them for getting into the team, an achievement in itself. Will give 'em a watch if you're around & can give me a heads up?

*Edit - doesn’t look like the swimming is on tv this morning*

Alys Thomas goes tomorrow lunchtime in the 200m fly, heat 2, I think it’s 11:29 our time.
Dan Jervis is on Friday in the 1,500m freestyle, heat 3, 12:23 our time.

Not sure about their medal chances. Probably outside at best. Alys got gold in the 2018 Commonwealths, Dan got silver. But there are 4-5 swimmers with quicker entry times. They could well both reach their finals.

I don’t know Alys, but Dan’s a really nice guy. He’s run coaching sessions for the kids in the club, which my lad’s attended, and he joins in with the club swim meets.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2021 8:37]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 00:11 - Jul 27 with 1049 viewsGogs

Yeah I love the Olympics, pretending to understand and getting excited by sports i know pretty much nothing about, and will have forgotten about within a day or 2 of it finishing

I have a bit of a problem with it though (I posted this earlier):

Anyone else think Russia’s doping ‘ban’ is a bit of a joke? There doesn’t seem to be much of a shortage of them competing as ‘Russian Olympic Committee’. All the ban seems to entail is no Russian flag, a different logo on their uniforms which are still in a very Russian-flag colour scheme, and no anthem played for gold medal winners. I can’t imagine it’s gone down too well with other countries and competitors.
Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 11:49 - Jul 27 with 864 viewsADStephenson

I usually love the Olympics but have found it harder to get into this year due to a combination of having two children under 3, the lack of atmosphere and the limited BBC coverage.
Having said that, I've just signed up to Discovery Plus because a former student of mine, Laura Stephens, has just swum in the Women's 200m Butterfly and the BBC weren't showing it. She finished 3rd and qualified for the semi final so I've got a reminder to watch again tomorrow and (hopefully) Thursday for the final. We'll see if having everything available makes me watch more of it.

www.adstephenson.com

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 11:54 - Jul 27 with 842 viewsRamRob

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 00:11 - Jul 27 by Gogs

Yeah I love the Olympics, pretending to understand and getting excited by sports i know pretty much nothing about, and will have forgotten about within a day or 2 of it finishing

I have a bit of a problem with it though (I posted this earlier):

Anyone else think Russia’s doping ‘ban’ is a bit of a joke? There doesn’t seem to be much of a shortage of them competing as ‘Russian Olympic Committee’. All the ban seems to entail is no Russian flag, a different logo on their uniforms which are still in a very Russian-flag colour scheme, and no anthem played for gold medal winners. I can’t imagine it’s gone down too well with other countries and competitors.

To be fair, those ROC competitors are supposedly the ones who could prove they weren't doping so I doubt there is any ill will towards them... Until there's a positive test sometime down the line

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 11:56 - Jul 27 with 836 viewspositivity

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 11:49 - Jul 27 by ADStephenson

I usually love the Olympics but have found it harder to get into this year due to a combination of having two children under 3, the lack of atmosphere and the limited BBC coverage.
Having said that, I've just signed up to Discovery Plus because a former student of mine, Laura Stephens, has just swum in the Women's 200m Butterfly and the BBC weren't showing it. She finished 3rd and qualified for the semi final so I've got a reminder to watch again tomorrow and (hopefully) Thursday for the final. We'll see if having everything available makes me watch more of it.

eurosport's got 10 channels, not sure if they're on freeview, but they're on my virginmedia channels.

as usual it's about the sports you never see at any other time, taekwondo, mountain biking, skateboarding etc.

watched the surfing today, the brazilian broke his board and still won, kind of slow tv with exhilirating moments!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 12:00 - Jul 27 with 821 viewsRamRob

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 11:49 - Jul 27 by ADStephenson

There's an Ipswich born Rugby player in the GB sevens team, Ethan Waddleton. Used to be a junior at my cricket club.

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 12:09 - Jul 27 with 811 viewspositivity

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 12:00 - Jul 27 by RamRob

There's an Ipswich born Rugby player in the GB sevens team, Ethan Waddleton. Used to be a junior at my cricket club.

there was an ipswich born player in the women's tennis, but she went out first round. bit of a shock as she was no. 1 seed.

think she's still in the doubles

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 12:12 - Jul 27 with 800 viewsMerseyBlue

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 12:00 - Jul 27 by RamRob

The sevens has been great to watch, felt very on edge in the game against the States earlier - fingers crossed they can bring a medal!

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 12:12 - Jul 27 with 799 viewsRamRob

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 12:09 - Jul 27 by positivity

there was an ipswich born player in the women's tennis, but she went out first round. bit of a shock as she was no. 1 seed.

think she's still in the doubles

Very good

Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 12:15 - Jul 27 with 785 viewsITFC_RDM

Some superb games in the rugby 7's this morning
Anyone getting into watching the Olympics? on 12:47 - Jul 27 with 732 viewsMJallday

I never appreciated how good the triathlon was. The ladies race last night was particularly good. Fair play to Georgia Taylor brown she would have been in with a shout if it weren’t for the puncture

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024