Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Heading" to be limited in training sessions..... 10:23 - Jul 28 with 2412 viewsBloots

....to a maximum of 10 "high force" headers a week.

This includes headers from corners and crosses.

Sensible move or "thin end of the wedge"?
[Post edited 28 Jul 2021 10:25]

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

"Heading" to be limited in training sessions..... on 10:26 - Jul 28 with 1943 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Who is going to keep count?

I think it makes sense. But by an large, its going to be ignored.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

"Heading" to be limited in training sessions..... on 10:29 - Jul 28 with 1918 viewsGuthrum

I'd have thought quite difficult to monitor.

But then if brain damage is now being seen as a serious risk, particularly in the young, then something needs to be done.

A reduction in (often random) head-tennis may not be a bad thing for the spectacle of football, too, emphasising ground skills and helping ball retention. Rather than just needing giant defenders.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2021 10:30]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

It can't work and seems like..... on 10:31 - Jul 28 with 1893 viewsBloots

"Heading" to be limited in training sessions..... on 10:26 - Jul 28 by Cheltenham_Blue

Who is going to keep count?

I think it makes sense. But by an large, its going to be ignored.

....an exercise in arse covering to me.

How can a team train properly when they are meant to only perform 10 "corner defending" drills a week?

As you say it will be ignored.

"Heading" to be limited in training sessions..... on 10:33 - Jul 28 with 1873 viewsSitfcB

Obviously it’s a serious subject but the balls are much lighter these days aren’t they?

And some CB’s might make 10 or more headers in a game!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

I could understand it if they..... on 10:34 - Jul 28 with 1877 viewsBloots

"Heading" to be limited in training sessions..... on 10:29 - Jul 28 by Guthrum

I'd have thought quite difficult to monitor.

But then if brain damage is now being seen as a serious risk, particularly in the young, then something needs to be done.

A reduction in (often random) head-tennis may not be a bad thing for the spectacle of football, too, emphasising ground skills and helping ball retention. Rather than just needing giant defenders.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2021 10:30]

....effectively outlawed heading back goal kicks from training, but they are including corners and free kicks in the guidance.

Can you imagine our training session today?

"Morning lads, we were crap defending set pieces last night, but we've only got 10 chances to work on it this week"

Won't happen, obviously.

"Heading" to be limited in training sessions..... on 10:39 - Jul 28 with 1822 viewsSwansea_Blue

Probably thin end of the wedge. I don’t see how they can simultaneously acknowledge there’s a problem and yet leave games untouched. As you say Bloots, seems like arse covering/tokenism for now, but once it’s taken seriously it’s probably only a matter of time until we see broader changes.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I could understand it if they..... on 10:42 - Jul 28 with 1806 viewsGuthrum

I could understand it if they..... on 10:34 - Jul 28 by Bloots

....effectively outlawed heading back goal kicks from training, but they are including corners and free kicks in the guidance.

"Morning lads, we were crap defending set pieces last night, but we've only got 10 chances to work on it this week"

Won't happen, obviously.

Indeed. I don't see how heading in those situations can ever be entirely excluded from the game.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

"Heading" to be limited in training sessions..... on 10:49 - Jul 28 with 1767 viewsDarth_Koont

Isn’t it about ultimately ensuring that the responsibility is accepted by coaches and players themselves?

They know it’s unenforceable but they want clubs to take the lead.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Yep, they want to ensure that.... on 10:54 - Jul 28 with 1733 viewsBloots

"Heading" to be limited in training sessions..... on 10:49 - Jul 28 by Darth_Koont

Isn’t it about ultimately ensuring that the responsibility is accepted by coaches and players themselves?

They know it’s unenforceable but they want clubs to take the lead.

....any future lawsuits are against individuals/clubs rather than the governing bodies.

Yep, they want to ensure that.... on 10:57 - Jul 28 with 1704 viewsDarth_Koont

Yep, they want to ensure that.... on 10:54 - Jul 28 by Bloots

....any future lawsuits are against individuals/clubs rather than the governing bodies.

Well, yes. Clubs need to take responsibility for player welfare and health. Governing bodies can only give guidance and rules.

It’s about the day-to-day responsibility surely?

There is a huge difference between..... on 11:16 - Jul 28 with 1614 viewsBloots

Yep, they want to ensure that.... on 10:57 - Jul 28 by Darth_Koont

Well, yes. Clubs need to take responsibility for player welfare and health. Governing bodies can only give guidance and rules.

It’s about the day-to-day responsibility surely?

...."guidance & rules" though.

They are issuing guidance without changing the rules.

If there are any issue in the future (and that may not happen given the different balls used now to those in the 70s and earlier) I think there will be issues proving where the cause was.

Personally I think the best solution would be to just use one of these:

they'll be suggesting footballers wear protective clothing next on 11:22 - Jul 28 with 1559 viewsKeno

There is a huge difference between..... on 11:16 - Jul 28 by Bloots

...."guidance & rules" though.

They are issuing guidance without changing the rules.

If there are any issue in the future (and that may not happen given the different balls used now to those in the 70s and earlier) I think there will be issues proving where the cause was.

Personally I think the best solution would be to just use one of these:

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I mean, we joke, but..... on 11:33 - Jul 28 with 1501 viewsBloots

they'll be suggesting footballers wear protective clothing next on 11:22 - Jul 28 by Keno

...given that they can't change the rules without changing the game entirely, I suspect that players wearing some sort of headgear won't be too far away.

It's already happened on occasions, keepers obviously have done it, I think Garcia wore one for City and maybe Jiminez at Wolves.

It'll happen.

I could understand it if they..... on 11:39 - Jul 28 with 1481 viewsitfcjoe

I could understand it if they..... on 10:34 - Jul 28 by Bloots

Won't happen, obviously.

America usually seems further ahead than us in sports science - if you look at the NFL it's exactly how it would be, walkthroughs are big as only allowed one contact training session a week

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

"Heading" to be limited in training sessions..... on 11:39 - Jul 28 with 1473 viewsBluefish

That would ruin Burley's sessions

I don't understand it, the ball is so different to how it was 20+ years ago and the game also involves less heading now. Heading was one of my specialities in the game so I loved it. Actually best not to use me as a test case or it will definitely be banned

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Explains a lot..... on 11:40 - Jul 28 with 1462 viewsBloots

"Heading" to be limited in training sessions..... on 11:39 - Jul 28 by Bluefish

That would ruin Burley's sessions

I don't understand it, the ball is so different to how it was 20+ years ago and the game also involves less heading now. Heading was one of my specialities in the game so I loved it. Actually best not to use me as a test case or it will definitely be banned

....I assume you mainly played football with a medicine ball?

I mean, we joke, but..... on 11:41 - Jul 28 with 1460 viewsKeno

I mean, we joke, but..... on 11:33 - Jul 28 by Bloots

...given that they can't change the rules without changing the game entirely, I suspect that players wearing some sort of headgear won't be too far away.

It's already happened on occasions, keepers obviously have done it, I think Garcia wore one for City and maybe Jiminez at Wolves.

It'll happen.

I fully expect it'll come in sooner or later (probably sooner) especially at youth and junior levels.

It could well start with a 'soft' cap like some of the rugby players wear but I'd not be surprised to see something like NFL helmets suggested

I mean, we joke, but..... on 12:13 - Jul 28 with 1393 viewsDarth_Koont

I mean, we joke, but..... on 11:41 - Jul 28 by Keno

I fully expect it'll come in sooner or later (probably sooner) especially at youth and junior levels.

It could well start with a 'soft' cap like some of the rugby players wear but I'd not be surprised to see something like NFL helmets suggested

But helmets don’t have a recognised effect on concussion-type, long-term damage. They reduce superficial impact injuries (and skull fractures in high-speed sport) but not the movement of the brain inside the skull.

The only way to do that is to reduce the instances over time and especially over a career.

"Heading" to be limited in training sessions..... on 12:23 - Jul 28 with 1352 viewsKievthegreat

"Heading" to be limited in training sessions..... on 10:33 - Jul 28 by SitfcB

Obviously it’s a serious subject but the balls are much lighter these days aren’t they?

And some CB’s might make 10 or more headers in a game!

While the weight of balls has reduced, the speed with which they are struck has increased. Think about it, if you smashed an old leather ball as hard as you could, and then kicked a new ball just as hard, it would be the same force applied to both, despite the difference in weight.
I mean, we joke, but..... on 12:25 - Jul 28 with 1330 viewsKeno

I mean, we joke, but..... on 12:13 - Jul 28 by Darth_Koont

But helmets don’t have a recognised effect on concussion-type, long-term damage. They reduce superficial impact injuries (and skull fractures in high-speed sport) but not the movement of the brain inside the skull.

The only way to do that is to reduce the instances over time and especially over a career.

Ok, I didn't know that about helmets

I mean, we joke, but..... on 12:30 - Jul 28 with 1299 viewsDarth_Koont

I mean, we joke, but..... on 12:25 - Jul 28 by Keno

Ok, I didn't know that about helmets

Well, that’s understandable. Neither did I till a few years ago and the subject came up in rugby coaching and training. It’s pretty counter-intuitive and goes against “common sense”.

I mean, we joke, but..... on 12:37 - Jul 28 with 1232 viewsKeno

I mean, we joke, but..... on 12:30 - Jul 28 by Darth_Koont

Well, that’s understandable. Neither did I till a few years ago and the subject came up in rugby coaching and training. It’s pretty counter-intuitive and goes against “common sense”.

Yes it does and makes you wonder what the long term answer for a lot of sports will be.

Rugby does have a good head injury protocol in place, which I think football could learn from

I mean, we joke, but..... on 12:39 - Jul 28 with 1219 viewsDarth_Koont

I mean, we joke, but..... on 12:30 - Jul 28 by Darth_Koont

Thinking about it, Leigh Halfpenny is a good case study. He wears a helmet but has probably had the worst concussion record of any back I can think of.

He also happens to have the worst and most dangerous tackling technique of any professional player I can think of – as he’s forever getting his head in the wrong position.

"Heading" to be limited in training sessions..... on 12:50 - Jul 28 with 1158 viewsMerseyBlue

I think I'm right in saying that concussions are caused by the brain moving inside the skull. As DK said, that essentially rules out helmets which I have to say I thought would be the way things might go until I looked into it more. With that in mind then perhaps at some point heading of the ball will be banned. It sounds drastic, which it is, but it is the only real way of preventing concussions and later-life complications from repeated heading as far as I can tell.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Alternatively we could..... on 12:58 - Jul 28 with 1142 viewsBloots

"Heading" to be limited in training sessions..... on 12:50 - Jul 28 by MerseyBlue

I think I'm right in saying that concussions are caused by the brain moving inside the skull. As DK said, that essentially rules out helmets which I have to say I thought would be the way things might go until I looked into it more. With that in mind then perhaps at some point heading of the ball will be banned. It sounds drastic, which it is, but it is the only real way of preventing concussions and later-life complications from repeated heading as far as I can tell.

....look into bringing back the Cranial Screw Top Technique that was championed by Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr in the early 80's.

We could then remove the top of the skull with the minimum of fuss and fill the gaps in the head with expanding foam, thus reducing the amount of brain movement when heading the ball.

It's worth further investigation if you ask me.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024