Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is the Woolf good enough? 10:40 - Jul 28 with 2401 viewsThatIpswichMan

Seen a few people discussing this one, personally I'm not overly convinced.

Thoughts?
Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:42 - Jul 28 with 2091 viewsMediocre_Quick

What are your opinions based on? Last nights sh*t show? Or the fact all of last season he barely put a foot wrong in an already poor defence?
[Redacted] on 10:42 - Jul 28 with 2083 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:44 - Jul 28 with 2066 viewsBlueBlood90

I would prefer that we signed an experienced senior centre back to play alongside Edmundson who is still only 23 years old and learning. Woolf is more than good enough to be cover.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:44 - Jul 28 with 2063 viewsitfcjoe

Yes, without doubt - just needs to be in a functioning team.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:45 - Jul 28 with 2040 viewsBlueySwede

He has all the potential, but needs to polish a few bits.
Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:45 - Jul 28 with 2040 viewsSaigonTractor

Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:42 - Jul 28 by Mediocre_Quick

What are your opinions based on? Last nights sh*t show? Or the fact all of last season he barely put a foot wrong in an already poor defence?

Poor defence? Our defence was not the problem last season.
Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:45 - Jul 28 with 2039 viewsSteve_M

He barely put a foot wrong?

He was really poor for much of last season, did finish it well but was comfortably the worst of our central defenders across the season. Not all of that is down to him but parts of it were.

He's still a good player, certainly capable of playing in the Championship and still young for the role. It would be a mistake to let him go now but I'm not sure he should be first choice for this coming season either.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:45 - Jul 28 with 2023 viewsThatIpswichMan

Not sure he didn't put a foot wrong last season, I thought at times he was poor. But then again he was playing for a manager he despised.

Is he a starter alongside Edmundson or will we recruit a more 'senior' CB alongside him?
Login to get fewer ads

Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:46 - Jul 28 with 2018 viewspointofblue

19/20 proved he is more than good enough. Being a babysitter doesn't help him at all; he still needs support next to him but he has more than enough promise.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:48 - Jul 28 with 1984 viewsBondiBlue

Good footballer but has an unusual problem for a centre back in that he's not strong enough or aggressive enough and his leap isn't good enough to compete in the air.

I'm worried he won't make it but i hope to be proved wrong.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:48 - Jul 28 with 1967 viewsSwansea_Blue

I was hoping he’d kick on a bit more last year tbh, but maybe the the high expectation is as much as fault there. He’s good enough at this level, but has a way to go to be as good as we were all hoping.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:49 - Jul 28 with 1956 viewsMrTown

In his breakthrough season thought was v. good. Has significantly regressed over the past 18/24 months.

If we do recruit another senior CB, he slips down the pecking order further.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:53 - Jul 28 with 1905 viewsMrTown

Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:48 - Jul 28 by BondiBlue

Good footballer but has an unusual problem for a centre back in that he's not strong enough or aggressive enough and his leap isn't good enough to compete in the air.

I'm worried he won't make it but i hope to be proved wrong.

V. true, and lacks pace and mobility.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:54 - Jul 28 with 1907 viewsvanmunt

Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:49 - Jul 28 by MrTown

In his breakthrough season thought was v. good. Has significantly regressed over the past 18/24 months.

If we do recruit another senior CB, he slips down the pecking order further.

You could pretty much say every player regressed at Ipswich over the last 12/24 months, I am genuinely trying to think of one player that improved at Town for the last 5 years.
Is the Woolf good enough? on 11:08 - Jul 28 with 1792 viewsGarv

Yep, thought he was impressive the season before last. Last season was a bit of a shti show for everyone.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Is the Woolf good enough? on 11:29 - Jul 28 with 1657 viewsBloomBlue

He's still a youngster especially for a CH, all the best CH's don't become the best until they reach 26/27.
They will make mistakes, look at Titus, but a CH needs to learn that positional part of the game and that takes time. 100% we should stick with him and let him learn his trade here, ball playing CH's are rare he'll be worth millions in a couple of years
Is the Woolf good enough? on 11:29 - Jul 28 with 1656 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Better than Chambers last year, but I think he's still a lot to learn about how to manage games.
He'll come good, but he's still a work in progress for me.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Is the Woolf good enough? on 11:31 - Jul 28 with 1624 viewsSkip_Intro

Is the Woolf good enough? on 11:29 - Jul 28 by Cheltenham_Blue

Better than Chambers last year, but I think he's still a lot to learn about how to manage games.
He'll come good, but he's still a work in progress for me.

to be fair Chambers was 35 years old and playing out of position...agree LW is a work in progress but my worry is that we haven't seen any (positive) progress from him for what seems like a long time...hope he can turn it around and that he gets the chance to do so this season...
Is the Woolf good enough? on 11:33 - Jul 28 with 1604 viewsnodge_blue

Didnt he say himself that he thought he should have done better last season?

I wasnt overly impressed. He did look a bit casual and I thought his distribution from the back was poor. Big season for him coming up.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Is the Woolf good enough? on 11:43 - Jul 28 with 1557 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Is the Woolf good enough? on 11:31 - Jul 28 by Skip_Intro

to be fair Chambers was 35 years old and playing out of position...agree LW is a work in progress but my worry is that we haven't seen any (positive) progress from him for what seems like a long time...hope he can turn it around and that he gets the chance to do so this season...

Not seeing any positive progress for a long time from our youth players breaking into the first team seems to have been a hallmark of ITFC throughout the last decade.

See also, Lankester, Dozzell, Bishop, Carson, Hyam, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Cotter, Folami and others.

Hopefully with the improvements in coaching now and the structure off field we are in a better position to develop our own players.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Is the Woolf good enough? on 11:51 - Jul 28 with 1510 viewsSkip_Intro

Is the Woolf good enough? on 11:43 - Jul 28 by Cheltenham_Blue

Not seeing any positive progress for a long time from our youth players breaking into the first team seems to have been a hallmark of ITFC throughout the last decade.

See also, Lankester, Dozzell, Bishop, Carson, Hyam, Emmanuel, Kenlock, Cotter, Folami and others.

Hopefully with the improvements in coaching now and the structure off field we are in a better position to develop our own players.

true! fingers crossed eh?
Is the Woolf good enough? on 11:56 - Jul 28 with 1467 viewsmeekreech

Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:45 - Jul 28 by Steve_M

He barely put a foot wrong?

He was really poor for much of last season, did finish it well but was comfortably the worst of our central defenders across the season. Not all of that is down to him but parts of it were.

He's still a good player, certainly capable of playing in the Championship and still young for the role. It would be a mistake to let him go now but I'm not sure he should be first choice for this coming season either.

Thought he was a little bit casual at times but he showed his game was on a learning curve .
He was more than capable of progressing and becoming a strong player whereas Nsiala has reached his limits. Nsiala is not good enough as a player to be relied on to bring woolfie along. It needs a player like de vos or Mowbray or butcher to bring him on.

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

Is the Woolf good enough? on 11:58 - Jul 28 with 1439 viewsElderGrizzly

Is the Woolf good enough? on 10:44 - Jul 28 by itfcjoe

Yes, without doubt - just needs to be in a functioning team.

You assume it is Edmundson + 1 now. And i'd expect Cook to want that +1 to be an experienced CB?

Leaving Nsiala (if he stays) and Woolfenden as back up?
Is the Woolf good enough? on 12:02 - Jul 28 with 1404 viewspointofblue

Is the Woolf good enough? on 11:56 - Jul 28 by meekreech

Thought he was a little bit casual at times but he showed his game was on a learning curve .
He was more than capable of progressing and becoming a strong player whereas Nsiala has reached his limits. Nsiala is not good enough as a player to be relied on to bring woolfie along. It needs a player like de vos or Mowbray or butcher to bring him on.

I don't get why this isn't being appreciated more - how the heck was Woolfenden supposed to develop last year when he was mainly played next to McGuinness? Lambert and Cook's obsession with the latter was baffling and hurt Woolfenden in the process.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Is the Woolf good enough? on 12:02 - Jul 28 with 1402 viewsjayessess

He's still very young for a centre back, so lots of aspects of his game will improve from here, especially in a good partnership. Noticed last night that he also seems to have developed physically a bit recently. Looks stronger to me.

My one concern is his one-on-one defending. Their very young winger (Tovide, I think) ran him a couple of times and its not the first time I've seen that happen to him. Something he's going to have to find a way to sort.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024