Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Attn: cyclists 13:56 - Jul 29 with 6350 viewschicoazul

Stop going through red lights you pricks.

Peter McCombie: Cyclist jailed after Tower Hamlets hit-and-run death https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-58009784

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Attn: cyclists on 13:58 - Jul 29 with 2346 viewsCotty

Also see motorists. Kid knocked down and killed near me recently by a car going through a red light. It really doesn't make a difference what vehicle people are using, some people are just pricks.
Attn: cyclists on 14:02 - Jul 29 with 2318 viewschicoazul

Attn: cyclists on 13:58 - Jul 29 by Cotty

Also see motorists. Kid knocked down and killed near me recently by a car going through a red light. It really doesn't make a difference what vehicle people are using, some people are just pricks.

Purely apocryphally on my part I’d say cyclists are much much worse for this behaviour. I’ve seen them do it many times at pedestrian crossings too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Attn: cyclists on 14:03 - Jul 29 with 2312 viewsLesta_Tractor

As a cyclist seeing other cyclists jump red lights really pees me off

I know clipping out can be annoying and we all like to smash the occasional strava segment but there really isn't any excuse for it

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Attn: cyclists on 14:04 - Jul 29 with 2306 viewsJeanManuelThetis

Agreed, however motorists going through red lights is a similar problem that is significantly more dangerous. It may be good to focus your attention there first.
Attn: cyclists on 14:09 - Jul 29 with 2273 viewsgordon

Attn: cyclists on 14:02 - Jul 29 by chicoazul

Purely apocryphally on my part I’d say cyclists are much much worse for this behaviour. I’ve seen them do it many times at pedestrian crossings too.

A pedestrian is about 60 times more likely (in the UK, 2019 figures) to be killed by a car than a bicycle.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 14:09]
Attn: cyclists on 14:10 - Jul 29 with 2256 viewschicoazul

Attn: cyclists on 14:09 - Jul 29 by gordon

A pedestrian is about 60 times more likely (in the UK, 2019 figures) to be killed by a car than a bicycle.

Well….yes. A car is a ton of steel and glass moving at 30mph.

Attn: cyclists on 14:13 - Jul 29 with 2239 viewshomer_123

I know you are not suggesting it's OK for cyclist to ignore the Highway Code.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Attn: cyclists on 14:15 - Jul 29 with 2230 viewsbrazil1982

Attn: cyclists on 14:02 - Jul 29 by chicoazul

Worse in cites imo. Cyclists in Manchesyer citycentte simply dont believe traffic lights are for them.
Login to get fewer ads

Attn: cyclists on 14:25 - Jul 29 with 2195 viewsDevereuxxx

As a cyclist, this also really annoys me and it just gives other road users more of a stick to beat us with. Personally, I stop at all red lights, most of the time I'm happy for a breather.

But there is definitely a level of fury that is unfairly reserved for cyclists. If I weave through stationary traffic to get to the front I regularly get honked at or shouted out, but if a bloke on a moped does the same thing nobody bats an eyelid. It's quite bizarre.
Attn: cyclists on 14:27 - Jul 29 with 2178 viewsCheltenham_Blue

So it's alright then?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Attn: cyclists on 14:33 - Jul 29 with 2147 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Attn: cyclists on 14:04 - Jul 29 by JeanManuelThetis

Agreed, however motorists going through red lights is a similar problem that is significantly more dangerous. It may be good to focus your attention there first.

Speaking as a car driver, and a cyclist. Cyclists going through red lights happens significantly more often, including at pedestrian crossings as pedestrians are in the road.

The pedestrians that object are almost always met with abuse.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen cars go through red. And I am talking about very solid reds in both instances, not amber going to red.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 14:33]

Attn: cyclists on 14:36 - Jul 29 with 2127 viewsBelsteadCav

That’s terrible, it really is.

Cars stop going through red lights you pricks!!!

Go to the junction on west end road/ Yarmouth road, and every light Change… EVERY LIGHT CHANGE, Cars run reds lights, every time!!!

I’m not sure I like your agenda

This cyclist hate has got to stop

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

Attn: cyclists on 14:43 - Jul 29 with 2079 viewsEwan_Oozami

Ewan's ad-hoc traffic light rules for cyclists:

1: Always expect to slow down or stop at light-controlled and pedestrian crossings.
2: Obey the rules of the lights at all time (including temporary lights)
3. Try to move to the front of the traffic if you are turning left or right at the lights so you can get round the corner safely, and especially if there is a left filter line and you are going straight on
4. Do not move to the front of the traffic if there is no room to do so
5. Sometimes it is safer to wait by the kerb and let traffic pass before setting off - other times wait in the middle of the lane behind the last car in line so upcoming traffic can see you, then move over to the left if it's safe once the traffic starts moving
6. Do not assume other road users and pedestrians can see you and predict your movements - always try and see what traffic's around you and always signal if it is safe to do so
7. If in doubt, don't do it...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Attn: cyclists on 14:43 - Jul 29 with 2070 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Attn: cyclists on 14:36 - Jul 29 by BelsteadCav

Go to the junction on west end road/ Yarmouth road, and every light Change… EVERY LIGHT CHANGE, Cars run reds lights, every time!!!

Theres always an 'agenda' when two sides are involved. You have your own Cav, and seemingly a hate for motorists.

The point is, if everyone obeyed the highway code, there would be no conversation, and hundreds of people would be alive.

Before you reply, watch the video. The victim here was just missed by another cyclist, before being hit by a second, the light had been red for a long time, as the green man was illuminated the whole time before the victim was hit.

I understand a lot of motorists can be pricks, but that really doesn't change the impact on this victims family. This particular cyclist, and the guy that went through immediately before, were both pricks.

Attn: cyclists on 14:57 - Jul 29 with 2029 viewshomer_123

Attn: cyclists on 14:43 - Jul 29 by Ewan_Oozami

1: Always expect to slow down or stop at light-controlled and pedestrian crossings.
3. Try to move to the front of the traffic if you are turning left or right at the lights so you can get round the corner safely, and especially if there is a left filter line and you are going straight on
5. Sometimes it is safer to wait by the kerb and let traffic pass before setting off - other times wait in the middle of the lane behind the last car in line so upcoming traffic can see you, then move over to the left if it's safe once the traffic starts moving
6. Do not assume other road users and pedestrians can see you and predict your movements - always try and see what traffic's around you and always signal if it is safe to do so

8. (Applies for cyclists and car drivers). There is only 1 winner between you and a 40 tonne artic truck.

There is a distinct difference.... on 15:03 - Jul 29 with 2001 viewsBloots

Attn: cyclists on 14:36 - Jul 29 by BelsteadCav

....between "jumping" a red light and "going through" a red light.

Putting aside the obvious increased dangers of a car compared to a cyclist, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that more cyclists "go through" red lights than motorists.

As someone else has noted this is a massive problems in cities, where cyclists literally don't bother with traffic lights.

I work in London and it's total chaos at every pedestrian crossing, with twangers on bikes thinking that they have the right to mow down pedestrians at any opportunity.

Cyclists should be limited to cycle tracks or at a push country lanes that are barely used by normal people.

Thanks.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

8. Stop wearing shorts that.... on 15:05 - Jul 29 with 1983 viewsBloots

Attn: cyclists on 14:43 - Jul 29 by Ewan_Oozami

...clearly show off your cobblers. We aren't interested.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Attn: cyclists on 15:05 - Jul 29 with 1979 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Attn: cyclists on 14:33 - Jul 29 by Cheltenham_Blue

Speaking as a car driver, and a cyclist. Cyclists going through red lights happens significantly more often, including at pedestrian crossings as pedestrians are in the road.

The pedestrians that object are almost always met with abuse.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen cars go through red. And I am talking about very solid reds in both instances, not amber going to red.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 14:33]

The reason cyclists going through red lights happens significantly more often than motorists isn't because more dicks are cyclists. It's because they don't have registration plates to identify them, so they can get away with it. There would be absolute carnage if motorists could get away with it due to not having registration plates.

The actual reason is lots of people are dicks.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Attn: cyclists on 15:05 - Jul 29 with 1979 viewsDevereuxxx

Attn: cyclists on 14:57 - Jul 29 by homer_123

8. (Applies for cyclists and car drivers). There is only 1 winner between you and a 40 tonne artic truck.

The same applies to buses. Don't a pick a fight with them, because they ain't stopping and there's no point ending up under one just because they've cut you up.
Attn: cyclists on 15:06 - Jul 29 with 1975 viewsBelsteadCav

Attn: cyclists on 14:43 - Jul 29 by Cheltenham_Blue

Theres always an 'agenda' when two sides are involved. You have your own Cav, and seemingly a hate for motorists.

The point is, if everyone obeyed the highway code, there would be no conversation, and hundreds of people would be alive.

Before you reply, watch the video. The victim here was just missed by another cyclist, before being hit by a second, the light had been red for a long time, as the green man was illuminated the whole time before the victim was hit.

I understand a lot of motorists can be pricks, but that really doesn't change the impact on this victims family. This particular cyclist, and the guy that went through immediately before, were both pricks.

Hate for motorists! I have a car, I drive 500 miles a week. Cav has absolutely nothing to do with it, that’s a ridiculous post.

And I can tell you this, the dangerous driving I see on the a12 is pretty bloody scary.

People are obsessed with cars, town and cities would be safer with fewer cars about, and that’s a fact.

I honestly don’t know why so many people hate cyclists. It’s totally bizarre

King of the board since 98
Poll: Updated Poll . What would you rather win as a Sportsman

Attn: cyclists on 15:06 - Jul 29 with 1975 viewsStrimmer

Can't defend bikes going through pedestrian crossings, that's just rude. Not statistically that dangerous, but anti social certainly.

However , speaking as a regular driver and cyclist in central london, I guarantee all non cyclists out there that if you spent a bit of time on the roads outside the protective bubble of a car and saw how careless (at best) many drivers are towards other road users, you'd be jumping red lights quicker than you can say 'pay your road tax'.

Its about a mindset, and that mindset is 'I could get killed by the next car or van that turns left without looking' which doesn't just appear from nowhere.

Of course cyclists are going to want to get a head start on the cars behind them, away from the close passes, careless cut-ups and honks. Give it a go!

Poll: Was it a punch?

Attn: cyclists on 15:08 - Jul 29 with 1963 viewshomer_123

Attn: cyclists on 15:05 - Jul 29 by Devereuxxx

The same applies to buses. Don't a pick a fight with them, because they ain't stopping and there's no point ending up under one just because they've cut you up.

Quite, being in the right but dead is quite a price to pay.

8. Stop wearing shorts that.... on 15:08 - Jul 29 with 1961 viewshomer_123

8. Stop wearing shorts that.... on 15:05 - Jul 29 by Bloots

...clearly show off your cobblers. We aren't interested.

Oi - I've got eight, change yours to 9.

There is a distinct difference.... on 15:10 - Jul 29 with 1950 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

There is a distinct difference.... on 15:03 - Jul 29 by Bloots

....between "jumping" a red light and "going through" a red light.

Putting aside the obvious increased dangers of a car compared to a cyclist, there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that more cyclists "go through" red lights than motorists.

As someone else has noted this is a massive problems in cities, where cyclists literally don't bother with traffic lights.

I work in London and it's total chaos at every pedestrian crossing, with twangers on bikes thinking that they have the right to mow down pedestrians at any opportunity.

Cyclists should be limited to cycle tracks or at a push country lanes that are barely used by normal people.

Thanks.

Why should cyclists be limited? They were here first!

You also miss the point - motorists doing it less isn't because they're paragons of virtue, it's because they can't get away with it. Far more motorists would go through reds than cyclists if they also didn't have registration plates.

The answer is probably some sort of registration plate for cyclists (could be small like a QR code that cameras would pick up).

Attn: cyclists on 15:12 - Jul 29 with 1923 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Attn: cyclists on 15:05 - Jul 29 by The_Flashing_Smile

The reason cyclists going through red lights happens significantly more often than motorists isn't because more dicks are cyclists. It's because they don't have registration plates to identify them, so they can get away with it. There would be absolute carnage if motorists could get away with it due to not having registration plates.

The actual reason is lots of people are dicks.

A down arrow for posting the truth eh Bloots?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024