Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... 18:41 - Jul 29 with 4699 viewsBloots

...thinks it's a waste of time, happy with Cat 2.

More interested in progressing our existing players through the age groups.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Cook non-committal.... on 18:51 - Jul 29 with 3711 viewsBloots

...about whether he will take the cup competitions seriously or not.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Cook non-committal.... on 18:52 - Jul 29 with 3690 viewsJ2BLUE

Cook non-committal.... on 18:51 - Jul 29 by Bloots

...about whether he will take the cup competitions seriously or not.

Couldn't have been clearer that we won't. Fair play for saying it.

Love that he doesn't even know the correct name for the Papa Johns Trophy. We should field the youth team and take the fine.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Cook non-committal.... on 18:56 - Jul 29 with 3606 viewspositivity

Cook non-committal.... on 18:52 - Jul 29 by J2BLUE

Love that he doesn't even know the correct name for the Papa Johns Trophy. We should field the youth team and take the fine.

he was more equivocal about the fa cup, but made it clear that league was number one and "johnstones paint" was a distant number four!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Cook non-committal.... on 18:57 - Jul 29 with 3582 viewsSitfcB

Like he said, promotion is number 1 priority by far and think we all agree really.

Pizza Cup probably our best chance of a trip to Wembley.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 18:59 - Jul 29 with 3552 viewschrismakin

For those not watching. He did say we will look to improve our loan system. If this is done correctly it would be better than a cat 1 imo.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Cook non-committal.... on 19:02 - Jul 29 with 3505 viewsjayessess

Cook non-committal.... on 18:56 - Jul 29 by positivity

he was more equivocal about the fa cup, but made it clear that league was number one and "johnstones paint" was a distant number four!

I think everyone agrees that the Papa John's is worthless. I'd be disappointed if we continued disrespecting one of the three major trophies that we've got in the trophy cabinet. It's not like we've ever derived much benefit from resting players for the league.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 19:02 - Jul 29 with 3506 viewsJ2BLUE

Hate these questions about what happens when we hit a bad run and we start having a tantrum.

Makes the fanbase look pathetic.

Truly impaired.

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 19:11 - Jul 29 with 3406 viewschrismakin

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 19:02 - Jul 29 by J2BLUE

Hate these questions about what happens when we hit a bad run and we start having a tantrum.

Makes the fanbase look pathetic.

What are you going to do.

Well I'm gonna sack paul. Is that the answer?

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 19:20 - Jul 29 with 3311 viewsJ2BLUE

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 19:11 - Jul 29 by chrismakin

What are you going to do.

Well I'm gonna sack paul. Is that the answer?

Pointless question isn't it?

Didn't like the one about what do we get other than a season ticket? I get wanting to feel part of the club but sounds like he wanted more perks.

Truly impaired.

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 19:30 - Jul 29 with 3199 viewschrismakin

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 19:20 - Jul 29 by J2BLUE

Didn't like the one about what do we get other than a season ticket? I get wanting to feel part of the club but sounds like he wanted more perks.

Really annoyed me that

Some of the questions tonight really show the various types of fans the club has.

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 19:38 - Jul 29 with 3102 viewsHipsterectomy

I was surprised he was so confidently against Cat 1, he seemed surprised that he would even be asked about it/supporters cared

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 19:41 - Jul 29 with 3016 viewsSitfcB

Really don’t know what people expect ffs. He should’ve just said, can we get a free shirt with our season ticket!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Cook non-committal.... on 19:45 - Jul 29 with 2957 viewsjas0999

Yep … we won’t be taking this cup seriously! Nor the league cup. FA Cup … maybe
Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 20:57 - Jul 29 with 2631 viewsitfcjoe

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 19:38 - Jul 29 by Hipsterectomy

I was surprised he was so confidently against Cat 1, he seemed surprised that he would even be asked about it/supporters cared

Yep, was very surprised how little value he thought there was in it.
Just mentioned that the games programme is better - that is one of they key things for development - testing ourselves against the beat

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 21:03 - Jul 29 with 2532 viewschrismakin

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 20:57 - Jul 29 by itfcjoe

Yep, was very surprised how little value he thought there was in it.
Just mentioned that the games programme is better - that is one of they key things for development - testing ourselves against the beat

As long as we do indeed improve the loan programme it won't matter. By the sounds of it it follows what i've heard about the Academy and U23's being a lot smaller and less of similar type players as we've discussed before. Which would make sense to remain as CAT 2 due to costings and then send these out for senior football experiences which you won't get even at Cat 1.

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 07:29 - Jul 30 with 2016 viewsBryanPlug

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 21:03 - Jul 29 by chrismakin

As long as we do indeed improve the loan programme it won't matter. By the sounds of it it follows what i've heard about the Academy and U23's being a lot smaller and less of similar type players as we've discussed before. Which would make sense to remain as CAT 2 due to costings and then send these out for senior football experiences which you won't get even at Cat 1.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 07:42 - Jul 30 with 1964 viewsSharkey

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 07:29 - Jul 30 by BryanPlug

“Not get jettisoned in...” ? What does that mean?
Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 08:03 - Jul 30 with 1854 viewsfranz_tyson

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 07:42 - Jul 30 by Sharkey

He mentioned they got into the first team too early. As the first team wasn’t strong enough and that, hopefully, will not be the case from now on. I guess it’s about setting higher standards.

I know there’s a romantic notion that we want to fill our first team team with academy players, but i think we’ll see less kids brought through and the ones who do will have to work that extra bit harder to get there.
Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 08:11 - Jul 30 with 1796 viewsHARRY10

Was one of the real ar.se cringing moments of the evening.

I was expecting him to start whinging how unfair the clubs previous 310 promotion games were.

One of those moments when you felt like slapping his face and saying

"shut up, just shut up now..... you total fcking idiot"
Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 08:12 - Jul 30 with 1795 viewschrismakin

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 08:03 - Jul 30 by franz_tyson

He mentioned they got into the first team too early. As the first team wasn’t strong enough and that, hopefully, will not be the case from now on. I guess it’s about setting higher standards.

I know there’s a romantic notion that we want to fill our first team team with academy players, but i think we’ll see less kids brought through and the ones who do will have to work that extra bit harder to get there.

The problem we've had recently is, as bad as the first team was, when ever a youngster came in, they looked good - a case for Mcgavin, yet realistically when you then compare him to proper first team players ( The level they should be that is) , he may be miles off... see where he is now for example.

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 08:37 - Jul 30 with 1729 viewsitfcjoe

One of the things I've been saying for a while, and a lot of it goes back to Paul hurst - is that we just haven't had a core of players in their prime (26-30) who are very consistent and you can hang your hat on them to be a 7 or 8 out of 10 every week.

All our players in that range - Edwards, Jackson, Norwood, Nolan, Nsiala notably are the Hurst signings which just haven't been good signings, and with the exception of Nsiala haven't put together a consistent run of form - we've relied on older players - Chambers, Ward, Sears, Skuse and younger players Dozzell, Downes, Woolf, McGuinness

It's very noticeable we've gone after players in their prime, this should help bring along players who do make the jump - but I am disappointed about lack of ambition to go Cat 1 as think it is important

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 09:22 - Jul 30 with 1563 viewsBryanPlug

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 07:42 - Jul 30 by Sharkey

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 09:50 - Jul 30 with 1457 viewstimothyeo

Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 21:03 - Jul 29 by chrismakin

That's nonsense.

The whole talk was relatively pointless but generally positive. The academy stuff is something i'm not happy about though.

If all you need to do is 'improve the loan programme' then no-one would have Cat 1. The reality is Cat 1 has a range of benefits and it's exactly why many clubs invest into it. We only have to look down the road to see just how beneficial it can be.

It doesn't massively surprise me though because at the end of the day these owners are all about quick turn around and making money for the fund - long term investments are unlikely. Which is a shame for the long-term future of the club, but still, with where we are now I guess we all take it.
Cook non-committal.... on 09:55 - Jul 30 with 1434 viewsSharkey

to ‘re-connect with the fans’ you should make an effort in the League Cup. You don’t have to get very far to suddenly be getting a West Ham away, for example, that would get huge away support on a wet Tuesday night in October. Town have hardly played in many of the new or re-vamped big stadia, and even if the season turns out to be one long joyous procession past Accrington, Burton, Cheltenham etc, the club should have enough swagger in the early months of the season to try to earn the opportunity of a trip to Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea etc. In the League Cup, the odds of getting someone glamorous pretty soon are good. Plus, if there is a new Sheeran-based group of fans out there, they probably won’t really notice that it was Man City’s b-team that was beaten. Paul Lambert’s ‘we’re-saving-the-players-for-April’ line was defeatist , in my opinion.
Ashton not interested in a Cat 1 academy.... on 09:55 - Jul 30 with 1433 viewsBluefields

Its great to have kids coming through but they have to be good enough. Professional/First team football is a ruthless dog eat dog business and they should quite rightly earn the right to be involved. Cook will only pick those who are good enough, no sentiment involved.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024