Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cook on training 19:52 - Jul 29 with 6188 viewsfergalsharkey

Great to hear cook say that during a closed week last season he could'nt even get two hard days training consecutively out of half the players.

I heard this at the time and thats where Dozzell , Bishop, Judge, Edwards and Jackson sealed their fate at this club.
Jackson will go for peanuts.

Poll: Cook out?

Cook on training on 19:54 - Jul 29 with 4415 viewsSkip_Intro

to be fair we will be lucky to get a bag of crisps for Jackson let alone peanuts...
Cook on training on 19:58 - Jul 29 with 4329 viewsgtsb1966

Makes you realise how rotten this club was yet some people were castigating Cook for his attitude towards some players.
Cook on training on 19:59 - Jul 29 with 4302 viewsKeaneish

Edwards was offered a new deal at the end of last season; he opted for Wigan instead.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Cook on training on 20:01 - Jul 29 with 4262 viewsOldboy

Tough love is needed these days in this league.
Cook on training on 20:03 - Jul 29 with 4217 viewsTrumptonBlue

If these players have been so pathetic throughout their time at the club, I'm surprised McCarthy put up with it. I realise not all of the "bomb squad" were here under MM, but many were.
Cook on training on 20:03 - Jul 29 with 4189 viewschrismakin

Cook on training on 19:58 - Jul 29 by gtsb1966

Makes you realise how rotten this club was yet some people were castigating Cook for his attitude towards some players.

Which is exactly why PC's era at Town starts next week. And should be judged as such.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Cook on training on 20:04 - Jul 29 with 4159 viewsRyorry

It wasn't as though some players weren't rising like Lazarus from being chronically on the treatment table to being regular starters when they transferred to other clubs either.

We might have at least got into the playoffs a couple of times more if we'd had a fit McGoldrick, Doz & Bish regularly available over the seasons.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 20:05]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Cook on training on 20:18 - Jul 29 with 3963 viewsSitfcB

Cook on training on 20:03 - Jul 29 by TrumptonBlue

If these players have been so pathetic throughout their time at the club, I'm surprised McCarthy put up with it. I realise not all of the "bomb squad" were here under MM, but many were.

There’s only one to€€er that ruined them!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Login to get fewer ads

Cook on training on 20:25 - Jul 29 with 3886 viewsBluearmy71

Cook on training on 20:04 - Jul 29 by Ryorry

It wasn't as though some players weren't rising like Lazarus from being chronically on the treatment table to being regular starters when they transferred to other clubs either.

We might have at least got into the playoffs a couple of times more if we'd had a fit McGoldrick, Doz & Bish regularly available over the seasons.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 20:05]

Maybe PC isn't just refering to players coming back from injuries, you may have seen my opinion on Dozzel and Downs both playing half heartedly as they knew they were off to the championship regardless
Cook on training on 20:32 - Jul 29 with 3790 viewsHipsterectomy

tbf do many clubs do double training in like, April? let alone with our fitness and injury issues

I thought the narrative was they refused to/got upset about it, not that they physically couldn't
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 20:34]

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Cook on training on 20:39 - Jul 29 with 3700 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The same people were content with Evans because he was funding the losses. It’s a losing mentality.

This is a fresh start now though. HMS Buy The League

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Cook on training on 20:45 - Jul 29 with 3624 viewsHullblue

Cook on training on 20:03 - Jul 29 by TrumptonBlue

It could have been a fitness thing as much as an attitude thing. We know there was a lack of investment in fitness coaching, sports science and all that. Woolfie said the other day that one of the biggest differences this season was that they finally have enough staff.

With that stuff in mind I think it’s harsh to call those players pathetic.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Cook on training on 20:49 - Jul 29 with 3561 viewsgtsb1966

Cook on training on 20:45 - Jul 29 by Hullblue

It could have been a fitness thing as much as an attitude thing. We know there was a lack of investment in fitness coaching, sports science and all that. Woolfie said the other day that one of the biggest differences this season was that they finally have enough staff.

With that stuff in mind I think it’s harsh to call those players pathetic.

They weren't THAT unfit. If they couldn't train again after one days training and a good nights sleep attitude must come into it. Imagine having to go to work five days a week.
Cook on training on 20:54 - Jul 29 with 3503 viewsitfcjoe

Cook on training on 20:32 - Jul 29 by Hipsterectomy

tbf do many clubs do double training in like, April? let alone with our fitness and injury issues

I thought the narrative was they refused to/got upset about it, not that they physically couldn't

Be interesting to see whether they could cope with it in April this season!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cook on training on 20:57 - Jul 29 with 3463 viewsgtsb1966

Cook on training on 20:54 - Jul 29 by itfcjoe

Be interesting to see whether they could cope with it in April this season!

Hopefully they'll do enough on the pitch so they don't have to.
Cook on training on 20:58 - Jul 29 with 3448 viewschrismakin

Cook on training on 20:32 - Jul 29 by Hipsterectomy

Whilst I can't give an answer on the first bit, I would question how a squad of over what 40? who clearly don't play every game, couldn't get through 1 day of training before waving the flag.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Cook on training on 21:00 - Jul 29 with 3424 viewsHighgateBlue

Cook on training on 20:18 - Jul 29 by SitfcB

There’s only one to€€er that ruined them!

Really? Hurst really added to their game did he? Or was Lambert the positive influence...?
Cook on training on 21:03 - Jul 29 with 3380 viewsHullblue

Cook on training on 20:49 - Jul 29 by gtsb1966

They weren't THAT unfit. If they couldn't train again after one days training and a good nights sleep attitude must come into it. Imagine having to go to work five days a week.

Depends how hard that first day of training was I guess? I just can’t imagine such a big group straight up refusing to train because they couldn’t be arsed.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Cook on training on 22:32 - Jul 29 with 3005 viewsBryanPlug

Cook on training on 19:59 - Jul 29 by Keaneish

Edwards was offered a new deal at the end of last season; he opted for Wigan instead.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Cook on training on 23:11 - Jul 29 with 2821 viewsVic

Cook on training on 21:03 - Jul 29 by Hullblue

Depends how hard that first day of training was I guess? I just can’t imagine such a big group straight up refusing to train because they couldn’t be arsed.

Listen to Cooks comments. He said that it was the physio’s that said they couldn’t do it again because the players were breaking down.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Cook on training on 23:13 - Jul 29 with 2803 viewsreusersfreekicks

Cook on training on 23:11 - Jul 29 by Vic

Listen to Cooks comments. He said that it was the physio’s that said they couldn’t do it again because the players were breaking down.

Which points to the inadequacies of the previous regime
Cook on training on 23:18 - Jul 29 with 2764 viewsVic

Cook on training on 23:13 - Jul 29 by reusersfreekicks

Which points to the inadequacies of the previous regime

Indeed.

But it’s also a tough ask to do double training in April.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Cook on training on 23:27 - Jul 29 with 2734 viewsChurchman

Cook on training on 20:49 - Jul 29 by gtsb1966

They weren’t that fit either. How many games did we play more than 45 minutes. We were run ragged home and away by the likes of Crewe, Swindon, Northampton and Wimbledon. Even at Portsmouth late in the season, great first 40 mins shame the game lasted 90.

It’s noticeable two straight seasons we started well. The other teams got stronger, we got weaker to the extent of not only losing 6 of 8 home games in the meat of the season but not even competing in most of them.

The players were mostly unfit physically and mentally and yes a bad attitude plays it’s part. Many were simply not good enough and the organisation, training, medical support you name it was probably worse than Conference standard. The evidence is where the leagues best squad have wound up and the attempt to put a professional organisation in place.

The job to be done is enormous.
Cook on training on 00:12 - Jul 30 with 2574 viewsITFCBlues

Cook on training on 23:18 - Jul 29 by Vic

Indeed.

But it’s also a tough ask to do double training in April.

I don't buy this. They're professional athletes! We're not talking about a bunch of office workers being asked to suddenly train twice a day. They should surely have a basic level of fitness that allows them to manage that workload?

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Cook on training on 02:26 - Jul 30 with 2414 viewsRyorry

Cook on training on 00:12 - Jul 30 by ITFCBlues

I don't buy this. They're professional athletes! We're not talking about a bunch of office workers being asked to suddenly train twice a day. They should surely have a basic level of fitness that allows them to manage that workload?

*Supposed* to be professional athletes, but clearly without the structure & staff in place that other league clubs have to enable and support them to be that & perform to the level required.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024