Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More Incoming... 09:16 - Jul 30 with 5694 viewsKropotkin123

Interesting that yesterday Ashton said our transfer business isn't done yet. So I guess we can expect more.

PC said 4231 was his preference. He likes the adaptability. Sometimes we will need to play 2 up top (assumed 442).

Think the main areas of with this in mind would be

CM - Think we are currently asking too much of our CM and I don't know how much PC rates Nolan. If he rates Nolan and think he can get the Shrewsbury play-off final player out of him then I think this becomes less of a concern.

LB - No surprises here, we are on pause with Coulson, who would seem like a great addition at this level.

CB - Three players for one position at the moment and I think both Woolfenden and Nsiala are capable at this level. Personally I would prefer us to either bring in a stand-out defender, or wait until next year and just utilise the loan market if we need to. Quality over quantity for this position now. I don't believe there is a rush.

What do you think the priorities are?
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 9:18]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

More Incoming... on 09:19 - Jul 30 with 3054 viewsWeirdFishes

I still think we’re crying out for another winger. Burns, Chaplin and Dobra seems very light to me.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

More Incoming... on 09:21 - Jul 30 with 3007 viewsjayessess

Assuming Coulson gets completed, then a centre midfielder for certain.
I sort of wonder if in other positions - centre back, left winger, right back, goalkeeper - we're just going to wait and see what's available? If we can get a good deal and improve on what's here, marvellous, if we can't then OK.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 9:25]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

More Incoming... on 09:24 - Jul 30 with 2947 viewsVic

Like you, I’m not sure that we need another CB at the moment. I’d like to start with what we’ve got and see how things go. I’d like to think Woolfie has the ability to be a regular, and Toto is a decent enough reserve, plus hav8ng the likes of Baggott and Ndaba to bring in for the odd game here and there (great for their development).

LB seems sorted with Coulsion likely to come in.

Forwards seem sorted.

Which like you say, just leaves the CM to be strengthened.

Other players coming in will be a bonus and add strength to the squad. But I do hope that we leave some room for the young players to get the chance occasionally. Though like Ashton said last night, this needs to be because they are good enough and not just because we have a need. I’ve long thought that we eulogies our youths because our first team actually isn’t that good. As strong first team must raise the bar fir the younger players and so be a good thing!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

More Incoming... on 09:25 - Jul 30 with 2903 viewsxrayspecs

Agree with that.

LB - Coulson is lined up, would see him as a starter ahead of Penney
CB - Experienced, leadership figure
CM - Additional cover, with Nolan, for Harper and Evans
WM - As posted below, to add to Burns, Chaplin (who may play in the 10 at times) and Dobra. Jacobs?
More Incoming... on 09:25 - Jul 30 with 2902 viewsBiGDonnie

Gibson, Coulson and then Downes to fight his way back into contention with Nolan as the 3rd and 4th midfielders!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

More Incoming... on 09:26 - Jul 30 with 2878 viewsKeaneish

More Incoming... on 09:19 - Jul 30 by WeirdFishes

I still think we’re crying out for another winger. Burns, Chaplin and Dobra seems very light to me.

Bonne, El Miz and Fraser can play there too.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

More Incoming... on 09:28 - Jul 30 with 2859 viewsKropotkin123

More Incoming... on 09:21 - Jul 30 by jayessess

I sort of wonder if in other positions - centre back, left winger, right back, goalkeeper - we're just going to wait and see what's available? If we can get a good deal and improve on what's here, marvellous, if we can't then OK.

Yeah, I think there is a certain thinking of what comes next (hopefully after promotion) and not getting too tied down with players that at Championship level wouldn't be enough to compete at the top end. That's why I don't think they have any great intent on getting rid of players like Nsiala, Nolan, Donacien, etc when they are fine at this level and we could get in much better next season as a Championship club (fingers crossed) with intent and backing.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

More Incoming... on 09:28 - Jul 30 with 2854 viewsCoastalblue

I'd still really like a centre half in the Mowbray or Devos mould, somebody experienced who can marshall from the back, however, if we wait until next season or January I wouldn't be too concerned.

I do think we'll see another CM come in.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Login to get fewer ads

More Incoming... on 09:29 - Jul 30 with 2837 viewsxrayspecs

More Incoming... on 09:26 - Jul 30 by Keaneish

Bonne, El Miz and Fraser can play there too.

Why play players out of position when not necessary?

Bonne is a number 9
El Miz - not sure he is a winger and not sure he is going to be in the first team squad
Fraser - is a central midfielder
Left Back and Central Midfield (rehabilitate Downes??) on 09:30 - Jul 30 with 2836 viewsunstableblue

Penney is more a wing back or wide midfielder than defender, and he needs cover anyway

If we start the season without Evans we've got a major issue, as seen at Col U.

I don't understand what Downes did to be so out of favour, but he would seem an ideal fit for back up... can he not be brought back into the fold like Dobra?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Left Back and Central Midfield (rehabilitate Downes??) on 09:31 - Jul 30 with 2809 viewstractorboy1978

Left Back and Central Midfield (rehabilitate Downes??) on 09:30 - Jul 30 by unstableblue

Penney is more a wing back or wide midfielder than defender, and he needs cover anyway

I don't understand what Downes did to be so out of favour, but he would seem an ideal fit for back up... can he not be brought back into the fold like Dobra?

I think the issue with Downes is more he doesn't want to be in the fold.
Left Back and Central Midfield (rehabilitate Downes??) on 09:32 - Jul 30 with 2806 viewsxrayspecs

Left Back and Central Midfield (rehabilitate Downes??) on 09:30 - Jul 30 by unstableblue

Cannot see Downes being happy as a squad player in L1, can you?

If we can get £1m+ plus add-ons, then take the money and invest in players who want to be at the club.
More Incoming... on 09:34 - Jul 30 with 2738 viewsBseaBlue

I thunk that might be the case particularly for youngsters on loan from the prem. An experienced CB is a must as well as cover for central midfield.

I also wouldn't be suprised to see us revisit the Michael Jacobs situation....
Left Back and Central Midfield (rehabilitate Downes??) on 09:39 - Jul 30 with 2640 viewsMillsTash

Left Back and Central Midfield (rehabilitate Downes??) on 09:31 - Jul 30 by tractorboy1978

I think the issue with Downes is more he doesn't want to be in the fold.

Precisely.

I think as Ashton stated with new signings last night, if players are not 100% fully committed to wanting to sign for Ipswich, and no doubt play for the club, quoting no matter how good they are, then they won’t be here.

Think this is the case with Downes from that transfer request last season.
Left Back and Central Midfield (rehabilitate Downes??) on 09:40 - Jul 30 with 2622 viewsPinewoodblue

Left Back and Central Midfield (rehabilitate Downes??) on 09:32 - Jul 30 by xrayspecs

Cannot see Downes being happy as a squad player in L1, can you?

If we can get £1m+ plus add-ons, then take the money and invest in players who want to be at the club.

He would fight for his place, something that didn’t work with Lambert but I’m sure works for PC.

As for experienced centre back I’m probably on my own with this one as I would be happy to see Tommy Smith back.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

More Incoming... on 09:40 - Jul 30 with 2600 viewsMillsTash

More Incoming... on 09:24 - Jul 30 by Vic

Like you, I’m not sure that we need another CB at the moment. I’d like to start with what we’ve got and see how things go. I’d like to think Woolfie has the ability to be a regular, and Toto is a decent enough reserve, plus hav8ng the likes of Baggott and Ndaba to bring in for the odd game here and there (great for their development).

LB seems sorted with Coulsion likely to come in.

Forwards seem sorted.

Which like you say, just leaves the CM to be strengthened.

Other players coming in will be a bonus and add strength to the squad. But I do hope that we leave some room for the young players to get the chance occasionally. Though like Ashton said last night, this needs to be because they are good enough and not just because we have a need. I’ve long thought that we eulogies our youths because our first team actually isn’t that good. As strong first team must raise the bar fir the younger players and so be a good thing!

Think we must have 4 CB’s going into the season. Poor planning if we over look this. An injury or 2 in quick succession and we will be left short.
Left Back and Central Midfield (rehabilitate Downes??) on 09:41 - Jul 30 with 2595 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Downes is done.

We dont know the background to that, but we need to move on.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

More Incoming... on 09:43 - Jul 30 with 2547 viewschicoazul

Hopefully this will be the last time we have to do this full-squad overhaul for a long time. The likes of Evans Chaplin and Edmundson will ideally be our core for the next 4 years as we march to the promised land.
Id like another CB and CM, and another forward would be nice although we can probably live without one.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

More Incoming... on 09:51 - Jul 30 with 2425 viewsWD19

I think its clear. We wanted Bradley, Coulson and Crooks and we don't have them, so need something in those positions. I would also like to see some more pace options out wide.
More Incoming... on 09:51 - Jul 30 with 2426 viewsBseaBlue

More Incoming... on 09:43 - Jul 30 by chicoazul

Hopefully this will be the last time we have to do this full-squad overhaul for a long time. The likes of Evans Chaplin and Edmundson will ideally be our core for the next 4 years as we march to the promised land.
Id like another CB and CM, and another forward would be nice although we can probably live without one.

Do you think for the first time in a long time that we could be in a 'Burley' type situation where we will only be looking at a couple of signings each summer?

All of these players on 3 year deals gives me real hope that it will be a case of fine tuning rather than the consistent overhauls.
More Incoming... on 09:54 - Jul 30 with 2367 viewsxrayspecs

More Incoming... on 09:51 - Jul 30 by WD19

I think its clear. We wanted Bradley, Coulson and Crooks and we don't have them, so need something in those positions. I would also like to see some more pace options out wide.

Fraser was signed after we lost out on Crooks. He and Chaplin cover the Number 10 slot, although Piggott may play there if we have two forwards.
More Incoming... on 09:56 - Jul 30 with 2350 viewschicoazul

More Incoming... on 09:51 - Jul 30 by BseaBlue

Do you think for the first time in a long time that we could be in a 'Burley' type situation where we will only be looking at a couple of signings each summer?

All of these players on 3 year deals gives me real hope that it will be a case of fine tuning rather than the consistent overhauls.

Truly hope so, although if/when we do go up to the Prem I’d imagine we’d do another big overhaul. The Yankee aren’t playing around.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

More Incoming... on 09:58 - Jul 30 with 2294 viewsJ2BLUE

Coulson, CB, CM and RM hopefully.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

More Incoming... on 09:59 - Jul 30 with 2284 viewsKeaneish

More Incoming... on 09:29 - Jul 30 by xrayspecs

Why play players out of position when not necessary?

Bonne is a number 9
El Miz - not sure he is a winger and not sure he is going to be in the first team squad
Fraser - is a central midfielder

…because to keep a lean and hungry squad, it is necessary. It’s part of the reason we went for Crooks because he can play in three positions, Penney and Coulson in two or three etc, same for Chaplin.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

More Incoming... on 10:02 - Jul 30 with 2239 viewsGuthrum

More Incoming... on 09:56 - Jul 30 by chicoazul

Truly hope so, although if/when we do go up to the Prem I’d imagine we’d do another big overhaul. The Yankee aren’t playing around.

I think, from what was said, there may be something of another overhaul when we get to the Championship. For a start, we will need - and can have - a larger and more expensive squad. But I don't think for a minute we will see this summer's level of exits again.

The long contracts have an additional purpose in that they preserve the value of the players we have hired, should we wish to sell them upon reaching a higher division.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024