Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Umm 11:29 - Jul 30 with 6679 viewsGuthrum

That's quite an interview with Jason Dozzell. Lots of rather revealing stuff in there.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Umm on 11:35 - Jul 30 with 4785 viewsIllinoisblue

Indeed. I like his honesty even though it reinforces the fact our club was a shambles the last few years . Good luck to him and Andre.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Umm on 11:35 - Jul 30 with 4789 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Lots that people had been saying for ages, but lots refused to acknowledge.

“Collectively, they just weren’t good enough. We’ve got good individuals, they’ve had good individuals, but collectively the mechanics of the side just didn’t go together in that division.

“I doubt the academy players would get you out of League One, you need a different type of player and a different type of mentality to get out of this division."

The day Evans came out with the statements about developing our youth a few days after relegation I knew we were fooked, and said so.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Umm on 11:35 - Jul 30 with 4801 viewsSteve_M

Yep, he makes the point that Joe has made repeatedly we were left with experienced players approaching the end of their careers and youngsters with a few dozen games and very little in the middle age group.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Umm on 11:43 - Jul 30 with 4660 viewsgordon

Umm on 11:35 - Jul 30 by Steve_M

Yep, he makes the point that Joe has made repeatedly we were left with experienced players approaching the end of their careers and youngsters with a few dozen games and very little in the middle age group.

Yup, we had Nolan, Donacien, Spence, Harrison, Roberts, Adeyemi, Jackson, Edwards, Huws and Nsiala at the club in the 2018/19 season on permanent contracts in that mid-age bracket, and they were pretty much all either injured or woeful.
Umm on 11:44 - Jul 30 with 4647 viewsgtsb1966

Totally understand where he is coming from . His boy was part of a club at its lowest ebb in its history. He says it as it was. Everything within the club was wrong yet he doesn't name-drop or blame certain individuals. Although a sad statement he says it with class. Exactly what you would expect from a class player .
Umm on 11:45 - Jul 30 with 4599 viewsrayman_10

Wish nothing but the best for Dozzel senior and junior, I really wish we could have given his role to Terry Butcher however instead of kicking him out. I’m so positive with this club with all that’s going on but that’s the one thing that’s left a sour taste in the mouth.

COYB

Umm on 11:48 - Jul 30 with 4538 viewsHighgateBlue

Umm on 11:43 - Jul 30 by gordon

Yup, we had Nolan, Donacien, Spence, Harrison, Roberts, Adeyemi, Jackson, Edwards, Huws and Nsiala at the club in the 2018/19 season on permanent contracts in that mid-age bracket, and they were pretty much all either injured or woeful.

Given the list that you reel off there, I'm not really sure that it's true that we didn't have much in the middle age group. We had plenty, and they weren't just intended as squad players - the fees for Harrison, Jackson, Edwards, Nolan and Nsiala were very considerable indeed for this division.

The problem was that they were largely rubbish.

We had a very large squad which could have been used to field a balanced side (in terms of age) every single week if we'd wanted to, and if they'd all been good enough.
What I took from Dozzell's words... on 11:49 - Jul 30 with 4541 viewsunstableblue

Umm on 11:35 - Jul 30 by Cheltenham_Blue

Lots that people had been saying for ages, but lots refused to acknowledge.

“Collectively, they just weren’t good enough. We’ve got good individuals, they’ve had good individuals, but collectively the mechanics of the side just didn’t go together in that division.

“I doubt the academy players would get you out of League One, you need a different type of player and a different type of mentality to get out of this division."

The day Evans came out with the statements about developing our youth a few days after relegation I knew we were fooked, and said so.

... and I think we all knew was that Chambo et al were shot, hence they couldn't provide the drive, energy and ability to be the core driver for the team... which would then have allowed younger players to supplement, and add 'legs' and pace and something different.

We were expecting Downes and Dozzell to be the fulcrum of the team.

Skuse was shot two seasons ago in my mind and never effectively replaced.

Chambo had had so many questionable performances over a number of seasons.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Login to get fewer ads

Umm on 11:50 - Jul 30 with 4530 viewsMullet

Interesting to see him praise Chambers and Skuse over the signings made note recently and lament their age, not their quality.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Umm on 11:52 - Jul 30 with 4474 viewsgordon

You do wonder though whether with proper coaching, a team with identity and strategy, a positive environment, a good fitness team beefing him up a bit, Lee Evans alongside him on the pitch, and four really sharp forward players, he couldn't have done a decent job.

But then, I think they had to move away (including Bishop as well), if only to start afresh where they're not really carrying too much baggage or too many hopes and dreams, they're both just relatively low risk signings who will be viewed solely for their performances on the pitch, instead of permanently being measured up against the player that people hoped they could've been.
Umm on 12:01 - Jul 30 with 4344 viewsgordon

Umm on 11:48 - Jul 30 by HighgateBlue

Given the list that you reel off there, I'm not really sure that it's true that we didn't have much in the middle age group. We had plenty, and they weren't just intended as squad players - the fees for Harrison, Jackson, Edwards, Nolan and Nsiala were very considerable indeed for this division.

We had a very large squad which could have been used to field a balanced side (in terms of age) every single week if we'd wanted to, and if they'd all been good enough.

I think that's the point though, that none of those players in that list took responsibility for being the driving force behind the club, for being the player that everyone looks to when you go a goal down, the player that never gives up and makes everyone else play 5% better.

Aside from Chambers and Skuse (maybe 1 or 2 others I've forgotten) over the last few years, the rest of that lot all played with the mentality of 18 year old kids, with really fragile confidence & poor communication on the pitch etc.

For someone like McGavin (as an example) he came in to the team to play alongside Huws in a few games when Huws was playing like he'd won a competition, couldn't make 5-yard passes, looked completely mentally shot - so for McGavin, in his handful of appearances, rather than have someone helping him out, talking him through the game, boosting his confidence, McGavin is (probably) in at the deep end with very little support, because Huws has to concentrate on find a way to not be completely useless himself. Think that sort of thing played out loads of times at ITFC since 2018.
Umm on 12:18 - Jul 30 with 4204 viewsghostofescobar

More info from the inside on just what a mess Evans left this club in: “ From top to bottom it was a bit of a mess. No structure, no nothing, no identity.” Thank Christ that incompetent fool has gone. I shudder to think what another few years of Evans control would have done to us. But, positive times ahead and good luck and best wishes to both Dozzell’s.

GhostOfEscobar

Umm on 12:30 - Jul 30 with 4077 viewsBlueBadger

Umm on 11:43 - Jul 30 by gordon

Or both, in the case of several of them.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Umm on 12:32 - Jul 30 with 4077 viewsDarth_Koont

Certainly disturbing that there was little to no plan for the squad or the first team. It always looked odd from the outside that we signed and loaned a fair number of players and also brought a load of youngsters in too. Then it felt like we just threw them at the team and then threw another lot at the team when that didn’t work. And so on and so on.

If the manager and coaches look clueless and unfocused, no surprise that players and the team as a whole struggled too.

After the disappointment of relegation, it’s pretty inexcusable that we could then screw up League One and effectively waste the player resources and money we did have. All looks remarkably careless.

Pronouns: He/Him

Umm on 12:34 - Jul 30 with 4053 viewsdavblue

Umm on 12:18 - Jul 30 by ghostofescobar

More info from the inside on just what a mess Evans left this club in: “ From top to bottom it was a bit of a mess. No structure, no nothing, no identity.” Thank Christ that incompetent fool has gone. I shudder to think what another few years of Evans control would have done to us. But, positive times ahead and good luck and best wishes to both Dozzell’s.

League 2 was where we were heading under Evans.
Umm on 12:40 - Jul 30 with 3982 viewsdavblue

Umm on 12:32 - Jul 30 by Darth_Koont

Certainly disturbing that there was little to no plan for the squad or the first team. It always looked odd from the outside that we signed and loaned a fair number of players and also brought a load of youngsters in too. Then it felt like we just threw them at the team and then threw another lot at the team when that didn’t work. And so on and so on.

If the manager and coaches look clueless and unfocused, no surprise that players and the team as a whole struggled too.

After the disappointment of relegation, it’s pretty inexcusable that we could then screw up League One and effectively waste the player resources and money we did have. All looks remarkably careless.

It had no one driving it forward on the pitch or more importantly off it.
Umm on 12:44 - Jul 30 with 3954 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Umm on 11:48 - Jul 30 by HighgateBlue

We're talking about the past now so it matters little. However, I think they twice demonstrated they were good enough by getting us top of the table some way into the season.

What they lacked was fitness (physical and mental(, direction, organisation, management and so much more.

If the ex-players can be properly managed and kept fit (physically and mentally) at Col U they will do very well this season. It will be interesting to see if they come out of the blocks and then throw it away like they did twice here though.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Umm on 12:45 - Jul 30 with 3954 viewsgordon

Umm on 12:32 - Jul 30 by Darth_Koont

That last transfer window, when we loaned in Harrop, Mathieson, Parrott and that guy from Barnsley, while loaning out Ndaba, Donacien, El Mizouni and McGavin was extraordinarily wasteful, even by Lambert / Evans standards. Possibly even more daft than the Quaner / Dawkins window.
Umm on 12:48 - Jul 30 with 3901 viewsRegencyBlue

Umm on 12:18 - Jul 30 by ghostofescobar

Absolutely!

His apologists still seem reluctant to accept it but he was killing the club.
Umm on 12:53 - Jul 30 with 3827 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Umm on 12:48 - Jul 30 by RegencyBlue

Absolutely!

His apologists still seem reluctant to accept it but he was killing the club.

“We wouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for Evans”
“He keeps us afloat every year”

It was more concerning to me how many were prepared to accept the bear minimum.
These guys are keeping us afloat too, but in a very different manner.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

[Redacted] on 12:55 - Jul 30 with 3812 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Umm on 13:07 - Jul 30 with 3697 viewsVic

Really good interview. Kind of confirms what I’d come to believe - our youngesters were good, but to step up into an average team was always going to stunt or stall their development.

Interesting what he said about Skuse and Chambers - 5 yrs ago they could have mentored them better, but not last season.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

What I took from Dozzell's words... on 13:07 - Jul 30 with 3693 viewsitfcjoe

What I took from Dozzell's words... on 11:49 - Jul 30 by unstableblue

... and I think we all knew was that Chambo et al were shot, hence they couldn't provide the drive, energy and ability to be the core driver for the team... which would then have allowed younger players to supplement, and add 'legs' and pace and something different.

It's mad that that is what you take from that

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What I took from Dozzell's words... on 13:14 - Jul 30 with 3641 viewsCoastalblue

What I took from Dozzell's words... on 11:49 - Jul 30 by unstableblue

I can't agree with you there, what was missing was the 24-28 year olds who should have been the main fulcrum of the team. It's very hard to criticise Chambers over the last two years, while Skuse looked rejuvenated for a while when Lambert first came in and was playing a much more all round role.

I don't think there was anything wrong with our senior, senior pros, it was the next set of players that have been the problem. I think you've misinterpreted or heard what you wanted to in all honesty.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Umm on 13:18 - Jul 30 with 3614 viewsreusersfreekicks

This interview should be compulsory reading for all "fans" who vilified all our players as lazy with bad attitudes etc. The ownership and management of the club were useless and it's surprìsing, reading this, that we ever got near the top of this league. A gemeration of half decent players wasted by incompetence.
Maybe Cook should have focussed on that rather than laying into the players so readily
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024