Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cup Competition 13:58 - Jul 30 with 1318 viewsKropotkin123

Barely any teams consider the League cup to be worthwhile. Increasingly the FA Cup is going the same way.

If we want a change in how teams approach the cup, then I think we should make some dramatic changes.

- Fold the League Cup.
- All leagues change to 20 teams
- FA Cup games removed from current schedule and played at the end of the season.
- League season finishes earlier to accommodate

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Cup Competition on 14:09 - Jul 30 with 1289 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

No thanks.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Cup Competition on 14:12 - Jul 30 with 1276 viewsMerseyBlue

I agree 20 teams per league is the right amount - it doesn't make sense that players with less sophisticated training grounds and facilities are expected to play at least another 8 games than the elite players.

I wouldn't want to see the FA Cup moved to the end of the season but agree something needs to be done, if not just to give it a bit more prestige again. Wenger won 3 FA Cups in 4 seasons and it didn't count for anything in the eyes of a lot of Arsenal fans. I like a cup replay but definitely the right thing to do away with them.

The pizza cup needs to be turned into a straight knockout competition from the go. That way teams that aren't bothered about being in it only have the inconvenience of a single fixture.

I know a lot of European leagues have done away with the third trophy, but I wouldn't want to lose the League Cup. My suggestion would be to combine the English and Scottish League Cups, with regional ties up until the latter stages. Clubs that qualify for European Football left out and if there was a need for an extra team or two, invite the winner of the Welsh or NI league as wildcards. It would freshen things up, even if it didn't assist in reducing fixtures.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Cup Competition on 14:20 - Jul 30 with 1248 viewsN2_Blue

Nothing wrong with the FA Cup. It should be played through the season not the end, that would just be odd.

Scrap the league cup and the Paint/Pizza crap trophy thing

Leagues of 20 is sensible

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Cup Competition on 14:21 - Jul 30 with 1248 viewsWallingford_Boy

Good news that we seem to be taking cups more seriously under Cook though.

We all love a cup run, so I was pleased to hear we'll be fielding a strong side in our cup game with Newport.

RIP Sir Bobby

Cup Competition on 14:24 - Jul 30 with 1240 viewsITFC_96

I don't see anything wrong with the League Cup. I don't really care about the pizza trophy though.
Cup Competition on 14:42 - Jul 30 with 1212 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Fewer teams in each division would be a good idea but the process of changing would have some difficulty - a couple of seasons of an extra relegation place and one fewer promotion would not go down well with most clubs. Take 4 teams out of the Championship and add them to this division and then take 8 off the bottom of this league and last season we would have been fighting off relegation. That is an indication of how many teams would see this as a threat to which level they would be playing at.

The cup(s) at the end of the season would only serve to make them more pointless and mean that teams that remain in them would have an extended season (probably not popular with players).

Maybe something where there is a stage to start the season with both League Cup and FA Cup matches followed by a couple of mid-season breaks with the next rounds taking place. Still have the finals at the end of the season. It isn't really that much different than at the moment except that leagues currently schedule fixtures for weeks where the majority of that league's teams are expected to have dropped out of the competition. Having a whole 2 weeks blanked out for potentially 2 rounds of one cup and 1 round (plus potential replay) of the other would be more significant especially for those teams that are out of both competitions.

To make the pizza cup thing work, it could be played at the same stages of the season and only be for those teams knocked out of the other cups.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Cup Competition on 14:59 - Jul 30 with 1198 viewsitfcjoe

Cup Competition on 14:21 - Jul 30 by Wallingford_Boy

Good news that we seem to be taking cups more seriously under Cook though.

We all love a cup run, so I was pleased to hear we'll be fielding a strong side in our cup game with Newport.

It will be at least 9 changes from the league game before it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Cup Competition on 15:06 - Jul 30 with 1160 viewsTrumptonBlue

FA Cup games removed from current schedule and played at the end of the season.

It starts in August with a round every couple of weeks, so that would be quite a challenge.
Login to get fewer ads

Cup Competition on 15:20 - Jul 30 with 1134 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Cup Competition on 15:06 - Jul 30 by TrumptonBlue

FA Cup games removed from current schedule and played at the end of the season.

It starts in August with a round every couple of weeks, so that would be quite a challenge.

It wouldn't really, though.

The biggest challenge would be the repeated lack of time between rounds to arrange the logistics of fixtures including ticketing. The vastly different dates for the end of the season would be potentially problematic. I would foresee clubs running contracts through to the end of the league campaign and having a reduced squad for the cups too.

Cup Competition on 16:26 - Jul 30 with 1087 viewsKropotkin123

Just reading some of the points. It would be the current league schedule getting smaller, with where FA Cup games played, league games replacing them. So you can't prioritise one game over the other. This leaves more time at the end of the season for the cup competition.

I'd do away with replays, make it a straight knockout.

Clubs being for or against it on the basis of them playing at a lower level isn't something I thought through.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

Cup Competition on 18:05 - Jul 30 with 1027 viewsPinewoodblue

Over 700 teams compete in FA Cup. There are six knockout rounds before any league clubs enter at the first round proper. The only way you could play all rounds at the end of the season would be reduce entries to 128. It really is a special competition at all levels.

If you want to reduce number of teams in a league it would make sense to do it in a regional basis below the top 2, or 3, leagues.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Cup Competition on 18:07 - Jul 30 with 1023 viewspositivity

get rid of the league cup and expunge any victories from club's trophy lists. (especially if they beat rochdale in the final!)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Cup Competition on 20:17 - Jul 30 with 937 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Cup Competition on 18:05 - Jul 30 by Pinewoodblue

Over 700 teams compete in FA Cup. There are six knockout rounds before any league clubs enter at the first round proper. The only way you could play all rounds at the end of the season would be reduce entries to 128. It really is a special competition at all levels.

If you want to reduce number of teams in a league it would make sense to do it in a regional basis below the top 2, or 3, leagues.

You could still play the early rounds in the same or very similar format (unless you were starting the first round proper earlier than it currently does. Presumably there will be some preliminary round ties in August.

Cup Competition on 20:22 - Jul 30 with 929 viewsBluearmy71

If we managed to get into a cup final ( highly doubtful) I think a lot of people who say scrap one of them would change their tune PDQ!!
Cup Competition on 20:31 - Jul 30 with 915 viewsKropotkin123

Cup Competition on 18:05 - Jul 30 by Pinewoodblue

More thinking of starting the part when league sides enter. As you suggest, it would be impossible and silly to start with the 700+ teams at the end.

Cup Competition on 20:37 - Jul 30 with 886 viewsOldboy

20 team leagues I agree with, but the F A Cup should still be in the normal places. We should blood the youth in League cup and the Take Away cup, but give the F A Cup the respect it deserves.
Cup Competition on 20:53 - Jul 30 with 867 viewsBluearmy71

What really needs to happen is football not being made an elitist sport for sky to make gazillions on it, given back to the people so we can once more take pride in all cup competitions, and by that i mean reverting the champions league and europa cups back to their original concept, both being knock out competitions in all stages with exception of the finals!!

We need to stop semi finals of domestic cups being played at Wembley just so teams can get revenue from the increased crowd, we need to stop paying international players to play for their country so its actually a privilege and more of an honour to be a representative of the national side, there needs to be much more severe fines and penalties for players and clubs that break rules and laws of the game, managers need to be managers and every player should respect that no matter who they are, players have too much power in the modern game and quite a few of them need to realise that the team is more important than the individual!!

Ahhhhhh there is so much wrong with the modern game, fans are treated as nothing more than cash cows when it comes to merchandise, prices of food and drinks in ground etc etc........give football back to the people and let all aspects of the beautiful game be beautiful once more!!

I'll stop now, thanks for reading ;)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024