Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New Car Advice 15:49 - Jul 30 with 1811 viewsLesta_Tractor

It's time to replace my trusty old astra with a new car.

I need something that can handle the occasional snowboarding trip to France and has a large enough boot for a hockey keepers kit bag.

Three cars I quite like the look of are the Toyota CH-R Hybrid, VW T-Roc and the Honda Civic.

Any thoughts on those?
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 15:49]

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

New Car Advice on 16:20 - Jul 30 with 1710 viewsbelgablue

I’ve been quite impressed with the Mazda range recently - they come loaded with extras. I think the CX-30 or Mazda 3 would fit the bill nicely as well. Planning on getting the 3 for when I have to commute overseas weekly again.

Had a civic previously, bullet proof.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

New Car Advice on 16:50 - Jul 30 with 1668 viewsZx1988

Get yourself a Civic estate if you can find one - they're class-leading in terms of boot space.

I previously had a Mk8 Civic hatchback, which I loved but ended up being too small to carry my work kit around in. The estate was only made for a few years and is essentially exactly the same car as the hatchback until you get to the C-pillar, and is still only about 30cm longer.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

New Car Advice on 16:56 - Jul 30 with 1657 viewsBasuco

The Civic 2.2 diesel is a very nice car, comfortable, reliable, economical and quick if you want it to be.
New Car Advice on 17:01 - Jul 30 with 1642 viewsclive_baker

I quite like the T roc too, I test drove one but ended up going for something else. Think they look nice with the side steps.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

New Car Advice on 17:32 - Jul 30 with 1573 viewsPinewoodblue

If you are thinking VW T-roc check out Skoda Karoq same stable.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

New Car Advice on 17:59 - Jul 30 with 1535 viewsfactual_blue

New Car Advice on 17:32 - Jul 30 by Pinewoodblue

If you are thinking VW T-roc check out Skoda Karoq same stable.

I can confirm that a Å koda is the car of choice for A Discerning And Cultivated Gentleman.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

New Car Advice on 18:15 - Jul 30 with 1502 viewsPlums

New Car Advice on 16:50 - Jul 30 by Zx1988

Get yourself a Civic estate if you can find one - they're class-leading in terms of boot space.

I previously had a Mk8 Civic hatchback, which I loved but ended up being too small to carry my work kit around in. The estate was only made for a few years and is essentially exactly the same car as the hatchback until you get to the C-pillar, and is still only about 30cm longer.

I chopped one of those in for a Volvo XC40 a couple of months back. The Civic tourer was the best car I’ve owned. Massive load space, high spec and comfortable. Extremely frugal on fuel too. It’s a shame they didn’t replace it because I’d have looked very hard at a new one. Get one with rear privacy glass, changes the look completely.

I do love my Volvo though.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2021 18:15]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

New Car Advice on 18:39 - Jul 30 with 1446 viewsleitrimblue

I bought a 2004 Toyota Corolla earlier today for €680. 4 new tyres, new battery, a years NCT/MOT....
Login to get fewer ads

New Car Advice on 18:41 - Jul 30 with 1439 viewswkj

Quick point about new cars right now, I ordered mine back in June, and it still isn't here due to a shortage on microchips. Be willing to wait if you do go new.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

New Car Advice on 18:43 - Jul 30 with 1421 viewsfactual_blue

New Car Advice on 18:39 - Jul 30 by leitrimblue

I bought a 2004 Toyota Corolla earlier today for €680. 4 new tyres, new battery, a years NCT/MOT....

That's about what the MOT, service and replacement cam belt cost me for my Discerning Gentleman's Car Of Choice earlier today.

New Car Advice on 18:47 - Jul 30 with 1412 viewsLesta_Tractor

New Car Advice on 18:41 - Jul 30 by wkj

Quick point about new cars right now, I ordered mine back in June, and it still isn't here due to a shortage on microchips. Be willing to wait if you do go new.

I'll go for a year old with less than 10k on the clock, tends to be decent value

New Car Advice on 19:00 - Jul 30 with 1381 viewsSwansea_Blue

New Car Advice on 18:47 - Jul 30 by Lesta_Tractor

I'll go for a year old with less than 10k on the clock, tends to be decent value

Yeah, you may as well let someone else pay for the largest hit in annual depreciation. I've gone new and second hand and think that 12-24 month point is probably the sweet spot for me. Not that you still aren't chucking money away of course.

You'll get loads of conflicting advice, and at the end of the day it doesn't really matter as they're all much of a muchness. The most important thing imo is to have a test drive in each of those you like and see which feels right for you. A bit of a ball ache in current covid times probably, but makes sense. And test drive in the right trim too (ideally the actual car you're interested in) - the same car in different specs, especially if suspension has changed, can feel completely different.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

New Car Advice on 19:01 - Jul 30 with 1377 viewsleitrimblue

New Car Advice on 18:43 - Jul 30 by factual_blue

That's about what the MOT, service and replacement cam belt cost me for my Discerning Gentleman's Car Of Choice earlier today.

It as incredible beige suede look interior and good cassette player as well.... Living the dream
New Car Advice on 19:24 - Jul 30 with 1333 viewsfactual_blue

New Car Advice on 19:01 - Jul 30 by leitrimblue

It as incredible beige suede look interior and good cassette player as well.... Living the dream

My Å koda has neither a cassette player, nor a CD player. Just a slot for a SD card.

And The Bluetooth, obviously.

New Car Advice on 19:25 - Jul 30 with 1330 viewsleitrimblue

New Car Advice on 19:24 - Jul 30 by factual_blue

My Å koda has neither a cassette player, nor a CD player. Just a slot for a SD card.

And The Bluetooth, obviously.

How do you play yer cassettes then?
New Car Advice on 19:28 - Jul 30 with 1319 viewsbluelagos

You want one of those cars with 2 wheels. Panniers and/or bungees will happily accommodate yer hockey gear (or a mate's boot if desperate)

:-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

New Car Advice on 19:29 - Jul 30 with 1318 viewsPlums

New Car Advice on 19:25 - Jul 30 by leitrimblue

8 track innit

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

New Car Advice on 19:34 - Jul 30 with 1310 viewsBloomBlue

Tesla, all other cars are pointless
New Car Advice on 19:39 - Jul 30 with 1298 viewsLesta_Tractor

New Car Advice on 19:28 - Jul 30 by bluelagos

You want one of those cars with 2 wheels. Panniers and/or bungees will happily accommodate yer hockey gear (or a mate's boot if desperate)

:-)

It's not my hockey kit I need to worry about, I only need a stick...

The wife insists on playing a couple of games in goal each season despite being a national premier league quality forward 🙄

New Car Advice on 20:48 - Jul 30 with 1206 viewsfactual_blue

New Car Advice on 19:25 - Jul 30 by leitrimblue

My wife winds the cassette forward using a pencil, and I sing the songs while she does so.

New Car Advice on 21:20 - Jul 30 with 1174 viewsblue62

I considered the T Roc, they do look good,also drove the Tiguan which is a bit larger.

Like others on here the Skodas are looking good, so worth a look, but also the new Hyundai maybe worth checking out.

Mazda’s you can’t go far wrong, even though my out laws preferred their Kia Sportage to the Mazda.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024