Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
100m final spoiler 14:00 - Aug 1 with 1944 viewsMerseyBlue

Ignore if you don't want to know the result yet...

Really feel for our fella Hughes, that was such a bad false start. Think he had a chance of a medal so not sure how you ever get over that. He's only 26 so if he looks after himself he may have another chance in 3 years but that has got to hurt.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2021 14:00]

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

100m final spoiler on 14:05 - Aug 1 with 1898 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I'm not much of n athletics watcher normally, but how come it's only one false start and you're out? Seems a bit harsh to me.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

100m final spoiler on 14:09 - Aug 1 with 1872 viewstextbackup

100m final spoiler on 14:05 - Aug 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm not much of n athletics watcher normally, but how come it's only one false start and you're out? Seems a bit harsh to me.

because if you cant train over 12+ years to wait until the bang then you dont deserve to get another chance. just a simple thing to get right

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

100m final spoiler on 14:10 - Aug 1 with 1857 viewsbournemouthblue

Am I right in thinking it didn't used to be or have made that up?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

100m final spoiler on 14:10 - Aug 1 with 1856 viewsChrisd

Looking at those times, I'm not sure he would have medalled, but who knows for sure? However, there was certainly a sub 10 second time waiting for him. I suppose you could argue that disqualification rule is harsh, but they all know the rule heading into the competition and sadly Hughes has got form for this. Hopefully, he'll learn from it, getting to a 100m Olympic final is most certainly an achievement in itself.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

100m final spoiler on 14:11 - Aug 1 with 1851 viewstextbackup

100m final spoiler on 14:10 - Aug 1 by bournemouthblue

changed some years back

100m final spoiler on 14:12 - Aug 1 with 1850 viewsDarth_Koont

Used to be 2. But seem to remember three or four athletes would use up their first warning to take a gamble so the race took ages to properly start.

Massive mistake for him to make even if I can understand it in the moment.

Pronouns: He/Him

100m final spoiler on 14:14 - Aug 1 with 1835 viewsRomeo4

100m final spoiler on 14:10 - Aug 1 by bournemouthblue

Same thing happened to Linford Christie back in 1996. Fair to say he didn’t take it very well!
100m final spoiler on 14:21 - Aug 1 with 1797 viewsMerseyBlue

100m final spoiler on 14:10 - Aug 1 by Chrisd

Looking at those times, I'm not sure he would have medalled, but who knows for sure? However, there was certainly a sub 10 second time waiting for him. I suppose you could argue that disqualification rule is harsh, but they all know the rule heading into the competition and sadly Hughes has got form for this. Hopefully, he'll learn from it, getting to a 100m Olympic final is most certainly an achievement in itself.

It would have been a tough ask but I think he would have been in contention, unfortunately we'll never know for sure. Absolutely agree, the mistake is on him and they know the rules. I just think that must be an incredibly hard thing to get over, crumbling in the biggest moment of your life, not getting the chance that you've earned because of an abundance of nervous energy. He should absolutely still be proud of the achievement but as a competitor I imagine he's crushed. Haven't seen any interviews as am now watching the F1.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2021 14:21]

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Login to get fewer ads

100m final spoiler on 15:31 - Aug 1 with 1655 viewsjas0999

No excuse for that. BBC pundits bang on afterwards. Second time he’s done that now.
100m final spoiler on 15:34 - Aug 1 with 1647 viewsGeoffSentence

100m final spoiler on 14:14 - Aug 1 by Romeo4

Same thing happened to Linford Christie back in 1996. Fair to say he didn’t take it very well!

He was ralking about that on that documentary, The Gold Rush. He was disqualified for a false start but the DQ was for starting too quickly AFTER the bang. Seemed really harsh and I can understand why he was vexed about it.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

100m final spoiler on 15:35 - Aug 1 with 1642 viewsBlueNomad

100m final spoiler on 14:09 - Aug 1 by textbackup

because if you cant train over 12+ years to wait until the bang then you dont deserve to get another chance. just a simple thing to get right

I suspect you have never seriously competed in athletics if you believe it’s that straightforward.
100m final spoiler on 16:21 - Aug 1 with 1555 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

100m final spoiler on 14:12 - Aug 1 by Darth_Koont

Used to be 2. But seem to remember three or four athletes would use up their first warning to take a gamble so the race took ages to properly start.

Massive mistake for him to make even if I can understand it in the moment.

Most recently it was one false start allowed, but for the whole field - so once someone had false started anyone that then false started was DQ’ed. Which was a daft system for a number of obvious reasons

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

100m final spoiler on 16:26 - Aug 1 with 1542 viewstextbackup

100m final spoiler on 15:35 - Aug 1 by BlueNomad

I suspect you have never seriously competed in athletics if you believe it’s that straightforward.

sorry Usain.

even the pro's on the bbc said its a stupid thing to do, so i can only imagine you know better

100m final spoiler on 16:41 - Aug 1 with 1517 viewsJakeITFC

Impressive that the Italian sprinter used the lockdown to become an Olympic gold medalist having been a middle of the road sprinter with no time sub-10 second before this season. Hmm.
100m final spoiler on 17:39 - Aug 1 with 1375 viewsBlueNomad

100m final spoiler on 16:26 - Aug 1 by textbackup

sorry Usain.

even the pro's on the bbc said its a stupid thing to do, so i can only imagine you know better

Yes he should have avoided it but there is more to it than your statement suggested. It was as dismissive as that MP who said Rashford should have spent more time practising penalties.
100m final spoiler on 18:06 - Aug 1 with 1333 viewsfactual_blue

100m final spoiler on 15:31 - Aug 1 by jas0999

No excuse for that. BBC pundits bang on afterwards. Second time he’s done that now.

And I'd guess that if the cause were 'sudden cramp' in his calf, he wouldn't have got a medal anyway.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

100m final spoiler on 18:13 - Aug 1 with 1324 viewsGeoffSentence

Not really a spoiler if its after the event.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

100m final spoiler on 18:22 - Aug 1 with 1299 viewstextbackup

100m final spoiler on 17:39 - Aug 1 by BlueNomad

Yes he should have avoided it but there is more to it than your statement suggested. It was as dismissive as that MP who said Rashford should have spent more time practising penalties.

its a pathetic mistake to make, his entire existence for his profession is to wait for a bang, then run like fck.....

twice he has now gone before the bang....

thats poor

100m final spoiler on 18:33 - Aug 1 with 1283 viewsBlueNomad

100m final spoiler on 18:22 - Aug 1 by textbackup

its a pathetic mistake to make, his entire existence for his profession is to wait for a bang, then run like fck.....

twice he has now gone before the bang....

thats poor

Have you seen his post-race interview? Basically he had a muscle twitch. There can also be other reasons for jumping the gun; adrenaline, tension, nerves etc

You are right it SHOULDN’T happen but no amount of training can legislate for things going wrong. It’s part of sport engaged in by human beings.
100m final spoiler on 19:12 - Aug 1 with 1225 viewstextbackup

100m final spoiler on 18:33 - Aug 1 by BlueNomad

Have you seen his post-race interview? Basically he had a muscle twitch. There can also be other reasons for jumping the gun; adrenaline, tension, nerves etc

You are right it SHOULDN’T happen but no amount of training can legislate for things going wrong. It’s part of sport engaged in by human beings.

the professional in the studio made mention the he could have raised his hand if he felt physically unable to stay still.

had mentioned cramp.... last time i had cramp my natural reaction wasnt to run 100m. i think its a poor excuse if im honest. he went too early, for a second time.... hopefully he puts that right in training over the next few months/years and comes back better

100m final spoiler on 20:05 - Aug 1 with 1150 viewsstonojnr

100m final spoiler on 18:33 - Aug 1 by BlueNomad

a muscle twitch ? you saw the replay right ? he was two or three strides into his start, had the gun actually gone when he started, he probably would have been disqualified still for starting to quickly anyway. of note he made the same mistake in the national trials, so maybe it is a thing he needs to work on.

but in another interview he said it was cramp in his calf.

one of those things, cant change it, move forward, I dont think it impacted Christies or Bolts achievements when they did it, but its weird it didnt feel so much like the blue ribband event this time anyway.
100m final spoiler on 07:54 - Aug 2 with 979 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

100m final spoiler on 19:12 - Aug 1 by textbackup

the professional in the studio made mention the he could have raised his hand if he felt physically unable to stay still.

had mentioned cramp.... last time i had cramp my natural reaction wasnt to run 100m. i think its a poor excuse if im honest. he went too early, for a second time.... hopefully he puts that right in training over the next few months/years and comes back better

Didn't realise you were an olympic 100m men's final-level athlete. He made a mistake at the biggest moment of his life. I bet words can't describe how gutted he is. Wind your neck in and give the guy a break.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024