Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club 22:33 - Aug 2 with 2959 viewsdavblue

I don’t want this to turn into he ruined the club post but we lost something when he left and Evans took over, he was a very good front man for the club and he cared for it.

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 22:35 - Aug 2 with 2678 viewspositivity

too ralph for me.

cared very deeply, but not the best steward of our resources.

blinded by burley's ted

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 22:36 - Aug 2 with 2677 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 22:46 - Aug 2 with 2610 viewsSomethingBlue

It really warms my heart that he spoke like that tonight.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 23:05 - Aug 2 with 2518 viewsHighgateBlue

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 22:36 - Aug 2 by BryanPlug

O'Leary is very capable and I would like to see him stay a long time.

But yes, I'm a big Sheepshanks fan.
Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 23:39 - Aug 2 with 2444 viewsChurchman

I don’t disagree with anything you said in that post.

However, I don’t think you can ignore the weaknesses of Sheepshanks and his Board and where it took us. If he chooses to buy a ticket, great. He is a supporter and a passionate one at that.

As for George Burley, I wish he still had some involvement with the club, but it’s probably too late for that. 394 appearances in 12 years and one of the best players to represent this club. 410 games in 8 years as a manager.

His teams were attractive to watch and good. If you wanted to plonk another statue somewhere you could do a lot worse than GB.
Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 23:47 - Aug 2 with 2406 viewsSitfcB

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 22:36 - Aug 2 by BryanPlug

Why is MOL going to leave so soon?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 00:11 - Aug 3 with 2373 viewsRyorry

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 23:39 - Aug 2 by Churchman

I don’t disagree with anything you said in that post.

However, I don’t think you can ignore the weaknesses of Sheepshanks and his Board and where it took us. If he chooses to buy a ticket, great. He is a supporter and a passionate one at that.

As for George Burley, I wish he still had some involvement with the club, but it’s probably too late for that. 394 appearances in 12 years and one of the best players to represent this club. 410 games in 8 years as a manager.

His teams were attractive to watch and good. If you wanted to plonk another statue somewhere you could do a lot worse than GB.

Who amongst us hasn't made mistakes in our lives?

Sorry for the cliche, but hindsight's a wonderful thing. Wouldn't mind betting that Sheepy regrets some of his crucial decisions & would do things differently if he could go back in time.

He's a genuine ITFC fan, his heart's in the right place, & you can't buy that in.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2021 0:13]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 06:22 - Aug 3 with 2132 viewsBryanPlug

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 23:05 - Aug 2 by HighgateBlue

O'Leary is very capable and I would like to see him stay a long time.

But yes, I'm a big Sheepshanks fan.

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Login to get fewer ads

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 06:54 - Aug 3 with 2063 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 06:22 - Aug 3 by BryanPlug

Definitely not. He’s here for the long haul.
Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 07:46 - Aug 3 with 1961 viewsdavblue

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 00:11 - Aug 3 by Ryorry

Sorry for the cliche, but hindsight's a wonderful thing. Wouldn't mind betting that Sheepy regrets some of his crucial decisions & would do things differently if he could go back in time.

He's a genuine ITFC fan, his heart's in the right place, & you can't buy that in.

He made those decisions for the club, not himself for vanity though. It didn’t work out as a positive for the financial side of things for the club but we have a better stadium than we did.
Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 08:44 - Aug 3 with 1786 viewsRadlett_blue

Yes, a good PR man who often played fast & loose with the facts, a bit like a certain PM.
While crowds understandably fell after relegation, the average home League attendance in 1995-96 was 12,604 and the lowest still over 9,000, not Sheepy's 7,000.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 09:06 - Aug 3 with 1697 viewsPhilTWTD

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 08:44 - Aug 3 by Radlett_blue

Yes, a good PR man who often played fast & loose with the facts, a bit like a certain PM.
While crowds understandably fell after relegation, the average home League attendance in 1995-96 was 12,604 and the lowest still over 9,000, not Sheepy's 7,000.

Not that season but the following year there was a 7,000.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/ipswich-town-v-swindon-town-19-november-1996-18056
Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 09:09 - Aug 3 with 1677 viewsElephantintheRoom

He was just a vacuous, dim, somewhat smarmy self-publicist aiming to climb the greasy pole at FA Towers. The hypocrite not only sold the club to Marcus Evans without knowing one iota about him or his plans for the club - he also tried to rush through a sale to a fantasist.

Give me any of the previous chairman who actually cared about the club and didnt seek self-publicity and a career outside the club. None of them destroyed it.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 09:11 - Aug 3 with 1661 viewsdavblue

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 09:09 - Aug 3 by ElephantintheRoom

He was just a vacuous, dim, somewhat smarmy self-publicist aiming to climb the greasy pole at FA Towers. The hypocrite not only sold the club to Marcus Evans without knowing one iota about him or his plans for the club - he also tried to rush through a sale to a fantasist.

Give me any of the previous chairman who actually cared about the club and didnt seek self-publicity and a career outside the club. None of them destroyed it.

He was also part of some of our best times in the last 26 years....
Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 09:13 - Aug 3 with 1651 viewsKitman

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 09:09 - Aug 3 by ElephantintheRoom

I'd say that was a tad harsh

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

Ha! Realistically there is a certain amount..... on 09:18 - Aug 3 with 1612 viewsBloots

....of truth in all of that and there is definitely an element of "sacred cow" around Mr Sheepshanks.

But I think you are being a bit harsh.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 10:09 - Aug 3 with 1513 viewsFreddies_Ears

He has added revisionism to his already well-established narcissism and chutzpah.
Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 10:34 - Aug 3 with 1457 viewsRyorry

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 07:46 - Aug 3 by davblue

He made those decisions for the club, not himself for vanity though. It didn’t work out as a positive for the financial side of things for the club but we have a better stadium than we did.

"It didn’t work out as a positive for the financial side of things for the club"

That wasn't entirely of DS' own making tho - some people seem to have forgotten about the TV dosh being pulled, which no-one could have foreseen.

*Edit - of course he made those decisions for the Club, not for himself - I've never suggested or even thought it was the latter.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2021 12:18]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 11:22 - Aug 3 with 1392 viewslongtimefan

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 10:34 - Aug 3 by Ryorry

"It didn’t work out as a positive for the financial side of things for the club"

That wasn't entirely of DS' own making tho - some people seem to have forgotten about the TV dosh being pulled, which no-one could have foreseen.

*Edit - of course he made those decisions for the Club, not for himself - I've never suggested or even thought it was the latter.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2021 12:18]

There is definitely an element of that, but I well remember the statement he made when questioned about the viability of financing the two new stands. He was adamant that the loans were not an issue and were fully secured on future season ticket and attendance revenue. There was no mention made of TV money at the time.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2021 11:24]
Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 11:45 - Aug 3 with 1313 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 00:11 - Aug 3 by Ryorry

Often overlooked by those that think he ruined the club is that he also oversaw our best period in the last ~40 years. Even the very worst Sheepy years were better than most of the Evans years.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 11:52 - Aug 3 with 1287 viewstrncbluearmy

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 11:45 - Aug 3 by Swansea_Blue

Often overlooked by those that think he ruined the club is that he also oversaw our best period in the last ~40 years. Even the very worst Sheepy years were better than most of the Evans years.

100% this
Sheepy and Co managed to repeat something, albeit for a short while, that was thought unrepeatable and also gives hope it may just happen again

Top man for me, loved his heartfelt comments

and as for the ruined club brigade, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 12:04 - Aug 3 with 1262 viewsBlueBadger

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 10:09 - Aug 3 by Freddies_Ears

He has added revisionism to his already well-established narcissism and chutzpah.

And what about David Sheepshanks?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 12:16 - Aug 3 with 1240 viewspositivity

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 11:45 - Aug 3 by Swansea_Blue

i agree, he can be both though.

he was the most successful chairman of the last 40 years AND partially responsible for admin leading to the evans era and league 1

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 12:21 - Aug 3 with 1229 viewsChurchman

Yes, he did oversee the best period in the club’s history since the Robson years. Sheepshanks is a fan and he always cared. The club had an identity and to use his word, heart during that time. I met him briefly in 2000 and he came across as a nice bloke too.

However, I cannot put aside the fact that he and his Board were custodians of Ipswich Town and their decisions from 2001 on led directly to 14 years of wrecking ball Evans and the near destruction of the club. That’s one he, and the decision makers of the time, own.

Notwithstanding that, it’s done now and so is Evans. New chapter time! Sheepshanks is an ITFC person and has a lot of experience and contacts in the game. It’s never going to happen but I wish that experience could be used in some sort of way to help push our club forward now, given there is so much to do.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2021 12:24]
Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 12:34 - Aug 3 with 1191 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Sheepshanks really is a great ambassador for the club on 11:52 - Aug 3 by trncbluearmy

100% this
Sheepy and Co managed to repeat something, albeit for a short while, that was thought unrepeatable and also gives hope it may just happen again

Top man for me, loved his heartfelt comments

and as for the ruined club brigade, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

How would history paint Sheepshanks if he had not backed Burley after getting us into Europe? Imagine we had still got relegated due to the extra fixtures and died the same slow death but without all the financial upheaval of administration. I could still see us very much where we are now but fans would be moaning that Sheepshanks never backed Burley instead. Of course, there was probably a middle ground that would have seen a much better outcome but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024