Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Modern Pentathlon 11:48 - Aug 7 with 1717 viewsMerseyBlue

That was wild. Such a weird event, didn't think I'd find it so exciting but both have been very good. I'm not a horse person so that side doesn't really appeal but it was all quite a spectacle.

Kate French & Joseph Choong, take a bow

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Modern Pentathlon on 12:07 - Aug 7 with 1670 viewsKeno

Was an amazing finish!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Modern Pentathlon on 12:12 - Aug 7 with 1661 viewsfabian_illness

In the women’s event the German competitor got a horse that wasn’t interested.
Horse selection is lucky dip.
Poor lady was in tears.
Modern Pentathlon on 12:19 - Aug 7 with 1642 viewsMerseyBlue

Modern Pentathlon on 12:12 - Aug 7 by fabian_illness

Poor lady was in tears.

I hear it was a spur of the moment decision.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Modern Pentathlon on 12:23 - Aug 7 with 1630 viewsfabian_illness

Modern Pentathlon on 12:19 - Aug 7 by MerseyBlue

I hear it was a spur of the moment decision.

She certainly ended the event with a very long face.
Modern Pentathlon on 12:24 - Aug 7 with 1624 viewsMerseyBlue

Modern Pentathlon on 12:23 - Aug 7 by fabian_illness

She certainly ended the event with a very long face.

Hay, rein it in would you.

Modern Pentathlon on 13:03 - Aug 7 with 1576 viewsfabian_illness

Modern Pentathlon on 12:24 - Aug 7 by MerseyBlue

Hay, rein it in would you.

You really hack me off.
You’re such a nag!
Modern Pentathlon on 13:51 - Aug 7 with 1517 viewsMerseyBlue

Modern Pentathlon on 13:03 - Aug 7 by fabian_illness

You really hack me off.
You’re such a nag!

Let's not flog a dead horse here.

Modern Pentathlon on 14:04 - Aug 7 with 1500 viewsRyorry

Modern Pentathlon on 12:12 - Aug 7 by fabian_illness

Poor lady was in tears.

The whole MP event needs re-drawing and the show-jumping replaced either with something completely different like javelin or shotput, or if they insist on an equestrian element, then just a basic test of horsemanship at walk+trot+ canter + a couple of very low jumps.

If they do that, then it should be a requirement that competitors bring their own horses & don't have to depend on a completely arbitrary pool of 'volunteered' animals. As it is, all the other strength/speed/skill elements can count for nothing if leading competitors get allocated the worst horse, which just turns the competition into a lottery.

It's also totally unfair to the horses. It's not only some 'riders' in the event being plain incompetent, the German trainer was outrageous in her attitude yesterday, encouraging the German rider to keep hitting her horse when it initially refused to even go into the ring, and then apparently (I didn't see) punching it to keep it in the ring, when it was obvious the rider should have retired it. That trainer was 'black-carded', ie banned, from attending the men's event today, but should be banned for life imho.

A petition has been started by horse-riders themselves who were outraged & upset at what happened, calling for the withdrawal of showjumping from the MP. Over 7K signatories so far:-

https://www.change.org/p/union-internationale-de-pentathlon-moderne-ensure-horse
[Post edited 7 Aug 2021 14:09]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Modern Pentathlon on 14:26 - Aug 7 with 1465 viewsfabian_illness

Modern Pentathlon on 14:04 - Aug 7 by Ryorry

The whole MP event needs re-drawing and the show-jumping replaced either with something completely different like javelin or shotput, or if they insist on an equestrian element, then just a basic test of horsemanship at walk+trot+ canter + a couple of very low jumps.

If they do that, then it should be a requirement that competitors bring their own horses & don't have to depend on a completely arbitrary pool of 'volunteered' animals. As it is, all the other strength/speed/skill elements can count for nothing if leading competitors get allocated the worst horse, which just turns the competition into a lottery.

It's also totally unfair to the horses. It's not only some 'riders' in the event being plain incompetent, the German trainer was outrageous in her attitude yesterday, encouraging the German rider to keep hitting her horse when it initially refused to even go into the ring, and then apparently (I didn't see) punching it to keep it in the ring, when it was obvious the rider should have retired it. That trainer was 'black-carded', ie banned, from attending the men's event today, but should be banned for life imho.

A petition has been started by horse-riders themselves who were outraged & upset at what happened, calling for the withdrawal of showjumping from the MP. Over 7K signatories so far:-

https://www.change.org/p/union-internationale-de-pentathlon-moderne-ensure-horse

I have to admit, it was a difficult thing to watch.
The horse was clearly distressed and the German rider was, I think, leading the competition.
Modern Pentathlon on 14:34 - Aug 7 with 1452 viewsRyorry

Modern Pentathlon on 14:26 - Aug 7 by fabian_illness

The horse was clearly distressed and the German rider was, I think, leading the competition.

I was shouting "stop hitting the horse" at the TV whilst watching through my hands.

Yes she was in the lead, but a bit of common human decency & maturity instead of behaving like a toddler having a tantrum was needed.

Modern Pentathlon on 14:43 - Aug 7 with 1436 viewsMerseyBlue

Modern Pentathlon on 14:34 - Aug 7 by Ryorry

I was shouting "stop hitting the horse" at the TV whilst watching through my hands.

Yes she was in the lead, but a bit of common human decency & maturity instead of behaving like a toddler having a tantrum was needed.

This is the sort of reason why I am not into horse events or racing. There are an overwhelming majority of good people who deeply care about the horses involved, but there are that very small minority that don't have any respect for the animal. I've been to the Grand National a couple of times but it's not for me, mainly due to when the horses take a tumble. That trainer (correct me if I'm wrong) that got photographed sat on the dead horse last year was really unpleasant.

Modern Pentathlon on 14:51 - Aug 7 with 1430 viewsRyorry

Modern Pentathlon on 14:43 - Aug 7 by MerseyBlue

This is the sort of reason why I am not into horse events or racing. There are an overwhelming majority of good people who deeply care about the horses involved, but there are that very small minority that don't have any respect for the animal. I've been to the Grand National a couple of times but it's not for me, mainly due to when the horses take a tumble. That trainer (correct me if I'm wrong) that got photographed sat on the dead horse last year was really unpleasant.

The problem with the MP is that none of the usual equine authorities (FEI, BHA etc) have any say in the regulations.

In all other equine events - dressage, eventing, showjumping, racing etc. - use of spurs, whips etc is severely regulated & restricted, with competitors and trainers being liable to suspension and bans if they break them.

Modern Pentathlon on 15:22 - Aug 7 with 1403 viewsMerseyBlue

Modern Pentathlon on 14:51 - Aug 7 by Ryorry

The problem with the MP is that none of the usual equine authorities (FEI, BHA etc) have any say in the regulations.

In all other equine events - dressage, eventing, showjumping, racing etc. - use of spurs, whips etc is severely regulated & restricted, with competitors and trainers being liable to suspension and bans if they break them.

Seems very strange that there's no involvement - things like this are bound to happen if the authorities are completely ignored. I did hear one of the athletes complaining about the safety the other day but I only caught the end of it

Modern Pentathlon on 15:42 - Aug 7 with 1377 viewsRyorry

Modern Pentathlon on 15:22 - Aug 7 by MerseyBlue

Seems very strange that there's no involvement - things like this are bound to happen if the authorities are completely ignored. I did hear one of the athletes complaining about the safety the other day but I only caught the end of it

Your frustration is echoed by the horsey community generally all over the world, from what I've seen on social media today, as well as myself.

Unfortunately the equine element of MP is obviously only one of 5, and (wrongly imo) the normal equine regulatory bodies are simply not allowed to intervene, it's completely down to the MPs' own organisation to self-police . This is them - https://www.uipmworld.org/

Modern Pentathlon on 15:46 - Aug 7 with 1370 viewsMerseyBlue

Modern Pentathlon on 15:42 - Aug 7 by Ryorry

Your frustration is echoed by the horsey community generally all over the world, from what I've seen on social media today, as well as myself.

Unfortunately the equine element of MP is obviously only one of 5, and (wrongly imo) the normal equine regulatory bodies are simply not allowed to intervene, it's completely down to the MPs' own organisation to self-police . This is them - https://www.uipmworld.org/

That's ridiculous isn't it - thanks for letting me know, I shall sign the petition

Modern Pentathlon (n/t) on 21:56 - Aug 7 with 1298 viewsDinDjarin

Modern Pentathlon on 14:04 - Aug 7 by Ryorry

[Post edited 7 Aug 2021 21:58]
Modern Pentathlon on 08:12 - Aug 8 with 1222 viewsIpswichKnight

Modern Pentathlon on 14:26 - Aug 7 by fabian_illness

The same horse had already been round the course with no problems with a different rider and had already been passed as fit to ride. It showed up that the German was not actually a good rider she could have passed on the horse as well and taken a different one ( however it would have been one that had not been ridden before in the competition)
Modern Pentathlon on 09:15 - Aug 8 with 1203 viewsRamRob

Modern Pentathlon on 08:12 - Aug 8 by IpswichKnight

The same horse had already been round the course with no problems with a different rider and had already been passed as fit to ride. It showed up that the German was not actually a good rider she could have passed on the horse as well and taken a different one ( however it would have been one that had not been ridden before in the competition)

I may be wrong but I thought the commentator said the horse had been uncooperative with the previous rider, so the German girl was already in a bad frame of mind beforehand.

Poll: What should be the music when opposition score?

Modern Pentathlon on 09:38 - Aug 8 with 1177 viewsIpswichKnight

Modern Pentathlon on 09:15 - Aug 8 by RamRob

I may be wrong but I thought the commentator said the horse had been uncooperative with the previous rider, so the German girl was already in a bad frame of mind beforehand.

I heard from the MP athlete in the studio that the horse went round earlier. As she said if your tense then the horse feels it, relax and the horse feels it.
Modern Pentathlon on 11:08 - Aug 8 with 1147 viewsRyorry

Modern Pentathlon on 08:12 - Aug 8 by IpswichKnight

That's incorrect - the horse had been extremely un-cooperative & problematic with its previous rider. All the more bizarre therefore that the German woman picked it to ride, esp when she was the only competitor to have the choice (because she was leading the competition at that point). Of course we don't actually know if it was her choice, or her coach's. If her coach's, then maybe that partly explains why she (the German rider) lost her temper so badly.

It's also been highlighted in equine groups on social media that the bit & headgear the horse had on were far too severe for the novice riders - a gag snaffle & running martingale puts great pressure on the horse's mouth & top of its head, which would have been painful every time the riders used the reins to balance themselves - something experienced riders would never have done. If the normal equine authorities like the FEI were involved in the running of the competitions, I'm certain they'd not permit such severe tack to be used in MP.

Modern Pentathlon on 12:10 - Aug 8 with 1124 viewsClapham_Junction

Modern Pentathlon on 09:15 - Aug 8 by RamRob

It had failed to finish the round with a previous rider, who alongside the German competitor, had set an Olympic record in one of the first two events. Both were then effectively eliminated from the competition by getting the same horse.

It's cruel on the competitors and cruel from the horses. They really do need a rethink IMO.
Modern Pentathlon on 17:14 - Aug 8 with 1071 viewsfabian_illness

Modern Pentathlon on 12:10 - Aug 8 by Clapham_Junction

It had failed to finish the round with a previous rider, who alongside the German competitor, had set an Olympic record in one of the first two events. Both were then effectively eliminated from the competition by getting the same horse.

It's cruel on the competitors and cruel from the horses. They really do need a rethink IMO.

I would suggest a slight change for Paris 2024.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024