Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Woolfenden 19:35 - Aug 7 with 5043 viewsITFC_RDM

He's absolutely dreadful! Shocking attitude as well. so lazy.

watched him before kick off and after they came out for the second half. he was the only one who put zero effort in to the drills both times. A lack of ability is frustrating, a lack of effort is unforgiveable. Showed on both goals, lazy defeding sitting off for the 1st, just a lack of being bothered and football ability for the second.
Woolfenden on 19:37 - Aug 7 with 4112 viewspointofblue

Didn’t see that but, IF that is the case, then maybe the mistake will give him the kick he needs.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Woolfenden on 19:40 - Aug 7 with 4078 viewsDublinBlue84

The second one he was given an absolute hospital ball though from Penney, even if Wolf should have done better, if Penney hadn't made the error probably there's no goal.

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

Woolfenden on 19:42 - Aug 7 with 4043 viewspointofblue

Woolfenden on 19:40 - Aug 7 by DublinBlue84

The second one he was given an absolute hospital ball though from Penney, even if Wolf should have done better, if Penney hadn't made the error probably there's no goal.

Plus Stockton waltzed past our whole defence for the first, not just Woolfenden.

Woolfenden on 19:44 - Aug 7 with 4005 viewsEwan_Oozami

Woolfenden on 19:37 - Aug 7 by pointofblue

Didn’t see that but, IF that is the case, then maybe the mistake will give him the kick he needs.

He has made similar mistakes in the past, he has not learnt from them....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Woolfenden on 19:46 - Aug 7 with 3988 viewspointofblue

Woolfenden on 19:44 - Aug 7 by Ewan_Oozami

He has made similar mistakes in the past, he has not learnt from them....

Then his time must be running out. It's a shame and I've posted a long diatribe elsewhere about how I think the club - particularly under Lambert - strangled his development and we're at risk of him not fulfilling his early promise.

Woolfenden on 20:03 - Aug 7 with 3854 viewsIllinoisblue

If we’re giving out blame for the first goal then what about KVY’s dreadful header into the danger zone across goal which caused the problem by giving it to Stockton? And Wolf wasn’t alone in failing to get a tackle in.

Second goal was weak from him a very poorly overhit pass back from Penney didn’t help.

This is league one; we’re not going to get defenders who don’t make mistakes

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Woolfenden on 20:12 - Aug 7 with 3776 viewsStewart27

I think that’s harsh and I feel the easy option is to blame the Woolf in this situation.

The second goal he had a mare. I actually thought he looked incredibly composed on the ball. Unfortunately the detriment of this composure means you are going to make silly mistakes.

See John Stones 2017.

Not comparing him to Stones but I think this error might make him better.
Woolfenden on 20:30 - Aug 7 with 3663 viewsArnieM

I think Woolfie is “ guilty” of being too laid back . In fact he’s almost horizontal in his application, which comes across as sloppy ( at times) on the pitch . I remember listen to a lengthy interview he gave over a season ago , when he and Downes had hit the first team and he was saying that Downes is driven , and he expected him to go far in the game. This may well be the case. But he also admitted completely honestly that he’s not wired that way and finds it hard to get upset or uptight about things in the game. I thought to myself then, we wouldn’t lose him to another Club.

He reminds a lot of the then young Jason Dozzell, with his languid style , which was often mistaken for being “ lazy”. Woolfie is similar in this application / approach to the game . But I would also add that I think Woolfie is not as good as many think he is . He makes too many unforced errors , and often the “ wrong “ choices of pass during a game , and he’s often likely to get caught in possession. For a CB I would say his heading ability is also weak ( no direction/ power) . He doesn’t often seem to get above or over the ball when heading so lacks the power you’d expect from a centre half. On the plus side he’s comfortable on the ball , but perhaps lacks that urgency that you sometimes need. By comparison I’d have had McGuinness in the side ahead of him had he returned on loan here.

Hopefully Woolfie can improve . He is young still, but for me if we get more CB’s in over the next couple of weeks I’d say he’d be second string CB pairing with Toto.

Just my thoughts …..

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Login to get fewer ads

Woolfenden on 21:43 - Aug 7 with 3507 viewsDinDjarin

Woolfenden on 19:40 - Aug 7 by DublinBlue84

Should have just let the ball run past him and played back to the keeper.

Easy to say in hindsight but as last man you cannot be taking those risks.
Woolfenden on 22:24 - Aug 7 with 3360 viewsDurovigutum

Woolfenden on 21:43 - Aug 7 by DinDjarin

A team used to playing together would have given him a call.

The first goal was so poor. None of the defence come out of that well....
Woolfenden on 22:28 - Aug 7 with 3304 viewsDublinBlue84

Woolfenden on 21:43 - Aug 7 by DinDjarin

To be honest that would be just as risky as what he did, by the time he turned he could have been easily dispossessed.

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

Woolfenden on 22:34 - Aug 7 with 3270 viewsVic

Woolfenden on 20:30 - Aug 7 by ArnieM

I think Woolfie is “ guilty” of being too laid back . In fact he’s almost horizontal in his application, which comes across as sloppy ( at times) on the pitch . I remember listen to a lengthy interview he gave over a season ago , when he and Downes had hit the first team and he was saying that Downes is driven , and he expected him to go far in the game. This may well be the case. But he also admitted completely honestly that he’s not wired that way and finds it hard to get upset or uptight about things in the game. I thought to myself then, we wouldn’t lose him to another Club.

He reminds a lot of the then young Jason Dozzell, with his languid style , which was often mistaken for being “ lazy”. Woolfie is similar in this application / approach to the game . But I would also add that I think Woolfie is not as good as many think he is . He makes too many unforced errors , and often the “ wrong “ choices of pass during a game , and he’s often likely to get caught in possession. For a CB I would say his heading ability is also weak ( no direction/ power) . He doesn’t often seem to get above or over the ball when heading so lacks the power you’d expect from a centre half. On the plus side he’s comfortable on the ball , but perhaps lacks that urgency that you sometimes need. By comparison I’d have had McGuinness in the side ahead of him had he returned on loan here.

Hopefully Woolfie can improve . He is young still, but for me if we get more CB’s in over the next couple of weeks I’d say he’d be second string CB pairing with Toto.

Just my thoughts …..

He really needs a Big Al, or Mowbray alongside him for a season or two - someone who leads by example, who can give him a rollicking at times and an arm round the shoulder at other times. Someone he really respects as the better player.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Woolfenden on 22:34 - Aug 7 with 3268 viewscatch74

Woolfenden on 19:46 - Aug 7 by pointofblue

Then his time must be running out. It's a shame and I've posted a long diatribe elsewhere about how I think the club - particularly under Lambert - strangled his development and we're at risk of him not fulfilling his early promise.

Says a lot that his main progress was made away from the club (to be fair , loan was the correct option for him at the time.) Sheffield UTD were in for him weren’t they?
Massive season for him. With another cb signing very likely he may have a battle on his hands to play many minutes.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Woolfenden on 22:36 - Aug 7 with 3256 viewsRonFearonsHair

It looked like he was in tears leaving the pitch.
Woolfenden on 22:37 - Aug 7 with 3247 viewspointofblue

Woolfenden on 22:34 - Aug 7 by Vic

He really needs a Big Al, or Mowbray alongside him for a season or two - someone who leads by example, who can give him a rollicking at times and an arm round the shoulder at other times. Someone he really respects as the better player.

Even Chambers and Wilson were more than enough to help him develop through 19/20.

Woolfenden on 22:38 - Aug 7 with 3236 viewsBluefish

We have some really special fans that are going after him bizarrely but the 1st goal was Nsiala sitting off and Evans diving in

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Woolfenden on 01:44 - Aug 8 with 2977 viewsITFC_RDM

Some of the responses to this are so blinkered. just because he's a local lad, does not make him a better player. if you don't think he was our weakest link today and on a pretty regular basis last season, you've not been watching the same games. he's positionally poor and lazy. I'm not worried because he won't start many games because of this, this season. but if he did, there's very little chance we will be in the mix. very poor defender at this level.
Woolfenden on 02:08 - Aug 8 with 2939 viewspointofblue

Woolfenden on 01:44 - Aug 8 by ITFC_RDM

Some of the responses to this are so blinkered. just because he's a local lad, does not make him a better player. if you don't think he was our weakest link today and on a pretty regular basis last season, you've not been watching the same games. he's positionally poor and lazy. I'm not worried because he won't start many games because of this, this season. but if he did, there's very little chance we will be in the mix. very poor defender at this level.

I just wonder why he's slipped back. Even his most vocal detractors tend to agree he was one of our best players in 19/20.

Get him alongside a competent experienced centre back and on the right side of centre defence and I think he COULD still be a very useful member of the squad and maybe find his old form. Shove him on the left next to either a kid or someone who is naturally not a leader then, yes, he will struggle as would most 22 year old centre backs.

Woolfenden on 06:00 - Aug 8 with 2787 viewseddiespearitt03

I just wish he would command that defence and appear to be a formidable, tough, no-nonsense centre back. To make that centre half position his, which is earned by one good display after another.
Woolfenden on 06:11 - Aug 8 with 2763 viewsbobbyramsey

Woolfenden on 02:08 - Aug 8 by pointofblue

I just wonder why he's slipped back. Even his most vocal detractors tend to agree he was one of our best players in 19/20.

Get him alongside a competent experienced centre back and on the right side of centre defence and I think he COULD still be a very useful member of the squad and maybe find his old form. Shove him on the left next to either a kid or someone who is naturally not a leader then, yes, he will struggle as would most 22 year old centre backs.

Shouldn't players playing professional football at this level be competent in their own right. Surely they shouldn't need the company of an experienced player beside them to be able to function at the desired level?

The love for Woolf should be wearing thin.....
Woolfenden on 07:25 - Aug 8 with 2630 viewspointofblue

Woolfenden on 06:11 - Aug 8 by bobbyramsey

Shouldn't players playing professional football at this level be competent in their own right. Surely they shouldn't need the company of an experienced player beside them to be able to function at the desired level?

The love for Woolf should be wearing thin.....

If he was in his mid 20s yes, but 22 is young for a centre back.

I could say the dislike of Woolfenden is wearing thin but then criticising academy players rather than giving them time seems to be a thing for a fair number of our fanbase.

Woolfenden on 07:52 - Aug 8 with 2546 viewsbobbyramsey

Woolfenden on 07:25 - Aug 8 by pointofblue

I could say the dislike of Woolfenden is wearing thin but then criticising academy players rather than giving them time seems to be a thing for a fair number of our fanbase.

If he's still learning his trade I would have thought that the U23s was the place for him, not the first team.

I assume that once PC has all his ducks in a row that Woolf will be replaced anyway.
Woolfenden on 08:00 - Aug 8 with 2514 viewspointofblue

Woolfenden on 07:52 - Aug 8 by bobbyramsey

If he's still learning his trade I would have thought that the U23s was the place for him, not the first team.

I assume that once PC has all his ducks in a row that Woolf will be replaced anyway.

I think he will be first, or second, reserve but the Under 23s can only be a breeding ground for so long. My honest opinion is if Woolfenden had been given one more development season in 20/21 then he may have been ready this season to be a lead centre back though, saying that, some very experienced international centre backs need a steady head next to them - look at Stones at Man City or Lindelof at Man Utd; they don't look the same without Dias/Maguire being alongside them. So just because Woolfenden might be a follower rather than a leader doesn't mean he should be written off.

To be honest I think that's our problem at the moment - both Nsiala and Woolfenden are followers. That's fine if we have a leader next to them but makes us weaker when we have to play them together.

Woolfenden on 08:04 - Aug 8 with 2493 viewsITFC_RDM

Woolfenden on 07:25 - Aug 8 by pointofblue

if he's not good enough, he's not good enough. I don't care how old he is, he shouldn't be in the team.

The academy players have been criticised because they deserve criticism. The club has been in a state for years until now, and the academy players over the last few years have optimised that for me. as I said in the OP, a lack of ability you can accept to a certain degree, we are a league one club, but the attitude of the players we have brought through have been unacceptable. Woolfenden, Dozzel & Downes are prime examples of that. All 3 clearly believe they are much, much better players than they are and their effort levels and commitment to the club has been pretty shocking.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2021 8:10]
Woolfenden on 08:11 - Aug 8 with 2443 viewspointofblue

Woolfenden on 08:04 - Aug 8 by ITFC_RDM

if he's not good enough, he's not good enough. I don't care how old he is, he shouldn't be in the team.

The academy players have been criticised because they deserve criticism. The club has been in a state for years until now, and the academy players over the last few years have optimised that for me. as I said in the OP, a lack of ability you can accept to a certain degree, we are a league one club, but the attitude of the players we have brought through have been unacceptable. Woolfenden, Dozzel & Downes are prime examples of that. All 3 clearly believe they are much, much better players than they are and their effort levels and commitment to the club has been pretty shocking.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2021 8:10]

Even if I agree with the attitude opinion, which I'm unsure if I do, is it a leftover from the Evans days of "that'll do" which seemed to bleed around the club, both physically and mentally, over the last few seasons? Cook understandably decided the only way to deal with this from the playing squad side was a near complete overhaul.

I do wonder what our approach to the academy will be in the long run - Ashton has already made it clear we have no interest in becoming Category A. I think we may well scrap it and take the Brentford approach of signing players who have not quite made the grade elsewhere but have potential; see the likes of Penney, Edmundson and Harper from this transfer window alone.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024