Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"work in progres" and "need time to gel" comments 09:26 - Aug 8 with 2148 viewsDyland

I figured we needed to wait until October sometime to fairly judge Cook and our new team/squad. After yesterday, I think we'll be clicking in September. Assuming we get a little more cover in defence especially. We're going to be hard to stop. Notwithstanding drawing against Morecambe at home :)

I hope the visiting fans enjoyed the trip, and got some good old Suffolk beer action in town. Shame the atmosphere from us was up and down. I guess we'll get back into the swing of it.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

"work in progres" and "need time to gel" comments on 10:02 - Aug 8 with 2063 viewsWD19

Yes, more seemed to be slotting in to place than I feared at this stage. I guess we won’t really know where we are until we see how we go against a variety of teams. Morecambe looked like they could be ‘got at’ and might well take a few hidings this season.
"work in progres" and "need time to gel" comments on 10:17 - Aug 8 with 2007 viewsDyland

"work in progres" and "need time to gel" comments on 10:02 - Aug 8 by WD19

Yes, more seemed to be slotting in to place than I feared at this stage. I guess we won’t really know where we are until we see how we go against a variety of teams. Morecambe looked like they could be ‘got at’ and might well take a few hidings this season.

Indeed. I deleted "very" from hard to stop, regarding better teams. I felt pretty positive in general though. Harper and Evans look very good. Harper can be an immense midfielder, division above as well.

Hello Dyllers on 10:30 - Aug 8 with 1975 viewsFunge

All told, that was pretty good fun yesterday, wasn't it?

Concourse of SBRL was LOUD before the game, as were the celebrations for both goals. So, so good to have all of the noise and buzz that hasn't been around for ages; there's also a confidence around the place that hasn't been there, for a lot longer than COVID.

Two bloody stupid goals to give away; not really sure why we backed off, and off, and off for the first.

Morecambe looked better than I thought, worked hard, and understandably started dicking around when they took the lead - as with every other club in this silly league.

Beautiful move for our first. As you say, Harper and Evans will work very well together, probably in the division above too, and I think Fraser could be immense, although he looked a bit rusty at times yesterday. Pigott was quiet. I'd also forgotten how composed KVY is - took down a lot of crossfield passes without much fuss at all; there was some good link-up play with Burns too.

Been some criticism of the NSL crowd elsewhere, which I think is a bit unfair - we've had almost nothing to shout about for so long, that I honestly think it's going to take a while to remember how to enjoy ourselves, if that makes sense?

Loads of encouraging signs yesterday, if you look past the w@nky defending; this season could be very good fun.
Hello Dyllers on 10:37 - Aug 8 with 1921 viewsDyland

Hello Dyllers on 10:30 - Aug 8 by Funge

Concourse of SBRL was LOUD before the game, as were the celebrations for both goals. So, so good to have all of the noise and buzz that hasn't been around for ages; there's also a confidence around the place that hasn't been there, for a lot longer than COVID.

Two bloody stupid goals to give away; not really sure why we backed off, and off, and off for the first.

Morecambe looked better than I thought, worked hard, and understandably started dicking around when they took the lead - as with every other club in this silly league.

Beautiful move for our first. As you say, Harper and Evans will work very well together, probably in the division above too, and I think Fraser could be immense, although he looked a bit rusty at times yesterday. Pigott was quiet. I'd also forgotten how composed KVY is - took down a lot of crossfield passes without much fuss at all; there was some good link-up play with Burns too.

Been some criticism of the NSL crowd elsewhere, which I think is a bit unfair - we've had almost nothing to shout about for so long, that I honestly think it's going to take a while to remember how to enjoy ourselves, if that makes sense?

Loads of encouraging signs yesterday, if you look past the w@nky defending; this season could be very good fun.

I agree with all that Fungers.

I was a bit apprehensive about Covid protocols and health safety whatever, and started ales early. So good to see everyone together, and walking through NSL turnstile was such a buzz.

Hilariously Les in the Upper bar was still having to cope with just the one kid helping. Who was a nice lad, but a dipstick. Plus ca fookin change innit.

Soooo good to be back :)

Hello Dyllers on 10:45 - Aug 8 with 1897 viewsSteve_M

Hello Dyllers on 10:30 - Aug 8 by Funge

I thought the three behind Piggot really struggled to get into the game at times, Chaplin especially. That will come in time I think but that was a large part of the reason we didn’t create much. That and Morecombe defending really well for the most part. It obviously helped them with the referee ignoring blatant fouls but they deserved a point really.

The atmosphere was good at times, quieter at others. Their second goal killed a lot of it and we should have tried a bit harder to sing them but we’re all out of practice at that too!

Both of our goals were good but I think Bonne scoring an injury time equaliser on debut for his hometown club was a really special moment. The kind that makes so much of the rubbish worthwhile.

I’ve even had thoughts about the Cup game on Tuesday but think that’ll be one for iFollow. Or maybe I’ll get the train up.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

"work in progres" and "need time to gel" comments on 10:47 - Aug 8 with 1878 viewsHerbivore

Getting the balance right with the attacking players is going to be key. With the new signings we have a lot of options at the top end of the pitch now but yesterday showed they don't really know how to play together yet. Think starting Fraser and Chaplin when neither have had much of a preseason was probably the wrong call. One of Bonne, Norwood or Dobra would have meant another body on the pitch that's had more minutes in training and in preseason games.

I think our line up in a month's time will look a bit different and hopefully fairly settled. Some of the attacking options will have to settle for being impact players off the bench, too much chopping and changing in those positions won't help us to gel.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Hello Dyllers on 10:54 - Aug 8 with 1861 viewsFunge

Hello Dyllers on 10:45 - Aug 8 by Steve_M

I thought the three behind Piggot really struggled to get into the game at times, Chaplin especially. That will come in time I think but that was a large part of the reason we didn’t create much. That and Morecombe defending really well for the most part. It obviously helped them with the referee ignoring blatant fouls but they deserved a point really.

The atmosphere was good at times, quieter at others. Their second goal killed a lot of it and we should have tried a bit harder to sing them but we’re all out of practice at that too!

Both of our goals were good but I think Bonne scoring an injury time equaliser on debut for his hometown club was a really special moment. The kind that makes so much of the rubbish worthwhile.

I’ve even had thoughts about the Cup game on Tuesday but think that’ll be one for iFollow. Or maybe I’ll get the train up.

Yeah Bonne was absolutely ecstatic (weren't we all?); that can only be good for him, and his confidence.

Spot on about Chaplin; you would imagine that Cook will be scrutinising his role closely. Not convinced that Penney is a long-term answer at LB either, although, of course, one game isn't a fair template to work from.

That referee, though - so bad. A reminder that Division 3 isn't just about the very average players; the officials are at this level for a reason. The ref appeared to take an obstinate dislike to us, and there will be plenty more like him this year; I'm not really sure what the answer is. Hopefully Cook does.
Hello Dyllers on 11:03 - Aug 8 with 1840 viewsRadlett_blue

Hello Dyllers on 10:54 - Aug 8 by Funge

Yeah Bonne was absolutely ecstatic (weren't we all?); that can only be good for him, and his confidence.

Spot on about Chaplin; you would imagine that Cook will be scrutinising his role closely. Not convinced that Penney is a long-term answer at LB either, although, of course, one game isn't a fair template to work from.

That referee, though - so bad. A reminder that Division 3 isn't just about the very average players; the officials are at this level for a reason. The ref appeared to take an obstinate dislike to us, and there will be plenty more like him this year; I'm not really sure what the answer is. Hopefully Cook does.

Your point that you don't get the best officials in the 3rd division is fair; however, why is it that we always seem to think they are favouring the opposition?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Hello Dyllers on 11:12 - Aug 8 with 1808 viewsWD19

Hello Dyllers on 11:03 - Aug 8 by Radlett_blue

Your point that you don't get the best officials in the 3rd division is fair; however, why is it that we always seem to think they are favouring the opposition?

In the first half I actually found myself thinking the ref was decent and I was glad he was trying to let things go….albeit occasionally to a fault.

Unfortunately it appears he is one of those with an ego who responds to the crowd getting on his back by becoming more stubborn. It was a vicious circle after that with Evans just becoming more and more frustrated until he was inevitably booked.
Hello Dyllers on 11:17 - Aug 8 with 1785 viewsHerbivore

Hello Dyllers on 11:12 - Aug 8 by WD19

In the first half I actually found myself thinking the ref was decent and I was glad he was trying to let things go….albeit occasionally to a fault.

Unfortunately it appears he is one of those with an ego who responds to the crowd getting on his back by becoming more stubborn. It was a vicious circle after that with Evans just becoming more and more frustrated until he was inevitably booked.

That's a decent summary of the ref's performance I'd say. How we ended up with more yellow cards than them is a mystery to me.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

"work in progres" and "need time to gel" comments on 11:25 - Aug 8 with 1732 viewsTomTheWriter

"work in progres" and "need time to gel" comments on 10:02 - Aug 8 by WD19

I don’t know if I agree with you there on that last point.

Four of the back five that finished the game for Morecambe started the Play Off Final win. They are very resolute, know each other’s game, and have added one of the better CB’s from L2 last season as per my preview.

Despite them having a fair few debuts as well, it helped them having their strong defence available to them, and should do very well in games this season. Not many teams will break them down this season if they defend like they do, with Diags in front of them.

For us, can see patterns of play developing much earlier than expected. Fraser and Chaplin had spent only 60 minutes on the pitch together before combining for the goal. Defence will always be an issue.

I can honestly see us putting 3 or 4, maybe even 5 goals past teams that come to Portman Road looking for a win. Trying to break down a 9 man wall with all new players will be tough. Once teams like Crewe, Doncaster, Plymouth, Bolton come to us, they won’t be playing for a point for 90 minutes, and they’ll leave gaps that will be exploited.

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

"work in progres" and "need time to gel" comments on 11:27 - Aug 8 with 1727 viewswkj

Usually, I think 'time to gel' is a bit of a cop-out for fans to hide the strain of defeat. However, it was clear we were an improved side yesterday and we have a load of players with talent. I have not seen us play that positively for a very long time, so I tend to agree that once all that talent start firing as a unit, we're in for an exciting season.

I am frustrated by our CB situation and Toto going out injured amplifies that frustration - but hopefully we'll have an answer for that soon. Talking of CB, I was very happy with Donacien yesterday. I always thought there was more of a player in him than we'd seen with Lambert and Mini Keane - and I am so glad that he's come out as a reliable deputy.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

"work in progres" and "need time to gel" comments on 12:54 - Aug 8 with 1595 viewschicoazul

We don’t need cover, we need at least two first choice defenders as our defence is much weaker than last season. We haven’t replaced Chambo and Wilson yet.
Oh and
S
U
Q
obviously

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

"work in progres" and "need time to gel" comments on 13:06 - Aug 8 with 1546 viewsBent_double

I think it's a good thing that we only have one potential promotion rival (Sheff Wed) to play in the next couple of months.

Imagine if we had Pmouth, Sunderland, Wednesday, Rotherham at PR before this team had a chance to gel, they would probably all go away with 3 points, making getting into the top 6 even harder.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

"work in progres" and "need time to gel" comments on 13:34 - Aug 8 with 1464 viewsRadlett_blue

"work in progres" and "need time to gel" comments on 12:54 - Aug 8 by chicoazul

We don’t need cover, we need at least two first choice defenders as our defence is much weaker than last season. We haven’t replaced Chambo and Wilson yet.
Oh and
S
U
Q
obviously

I said before yesterday that Toto & Woolf as a CB pairing was asking for trouble. Toto lets a ball sail over his head for the first goal like a pub player, then Woolf caught in possession, admittedly after a bad pass from Penney.
Granted, with Edmundson unfit, we didn't have any other realistic options, but another CB should be on the list.

Hello Dyllers on 13:41 - Aug 8 with 1433 viewsDubtractor

Hello Dyllers on 11:12 - Aug 8 by WD19

I like how the ref was warning them about time wasting from quite early in the game, but then allowed them to carry on doing it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Hello Dyllers on 13:58 - Aug 8 with 1365 viewsRadlett_blue

Hello Dyllers on 13:41 - Aug 8 by Dubtractor

I like how the ref was warning them about time wasting from quite early in the game, but then allowed them to carry on doing it.

Same as when refs keep warning keepers over dithering over goal kicks etc. The keeper continues to dither, because the worst he will get is a meaningless yellow card. No ref would send off a keeper for time wasting.
In the same way, the "6 second" release rule is completely ignored and many hold the ball for 10 seconds & more.

"work in progres" and "need time to gel" comments on 20:02 - Aug 8 with 1172 viewsistanblue

"work in progres" and "need time to gel" comments on 13:06 - Aug 8 by Bent_double

I think it's a good thing that we only have one potential promotion rival (Sheff Wed) to play in the next couple of months.

Imagine if we had Pmouth, Sunderland, Wednesday, Rotherham at PR before this team had a chance to gel, they would probably all go away with 3 points, making getting into the top 6 even harder.

Why are Ipswich the only team that ''need time to gel''? Sounds like an excuse.
"work in progres" and "need time to gel" comments on 20:35 - Aug 8 with 1128 viewsKropotkin123

I didn't watch the game, just the highlights. But from that alone, you can see such an improvement in the way we pass in about, our intention going forward. Really encouraging to see.

CD is a clear issue atm. You'd hope we'd bring one more CD in and with a bit of time, coms and calibre should see a big improvement there.

Really impressed with both goals. Been a long time since we were happy to pass it around like that, but also go direct if we needed to. Reminded me of the Burley days. Hopefully the forward play is what we come to expect as a minimum, and not just an opening day showing.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024