Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper 11:33 - Aug 8 with 2645 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Sh*t the bed! They’re absolutely superb!

I refuse to believe there’s a better midfield pairing in League 1. And I include Bannan and his partner at Sheffield Wednesday in that.

Evans was pinging it around like he was Xabi Alonso. That ability to pick a pass with inch-perfect accuracy is going to be a huge weapon for us this year. Particularly at away games when teams come at us and we break with pace.

And Harper.. wow! He’s going to be our player of the year this season. What an absolute baller he is. Calm on the ball, confident to pick a pass, movement superb, always looking to move forward. I love him already.

I’m a huge fan of Flynn but I honestly don’t think (admittedly based on just 90 minutes) he’d get in that midfield two. Evans and Harper compliment each other brilliantly and I’m very excited to see them progress this season.

Roll on Burton. 3-0 Town.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 11:34 - Aug 8 with 2632 viewsHerbivore

Harper looks WAY too good for this level based on yesterday. Evans also looks a player. If we can get the ingredients right around them we should be a good side.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 12:52 - Aug 8 with 2407 viewsDarth_Koont

Agreed. And it makes such a difference to have two capable play-makers who can alternate rather than relying on everything going through Dozzell. Harper and Evans together will be much tougher for teams to neutralise.

Also great to see the potential of Fraser ahead of them. Excellent goal aside, he was a little quiet and the front 4 never really found their feet, but the weight he puts on his passes to play in others is at a completely different level to what we were used to seeing from Judge, Edwards, Bishop etc. who tended to fluff opportunities more often than not.

That coupled with midfield runners and full backs getting beyond the strikers suggests that we’ll be an awful lot better when we get to the attacking third this season.

Pronouns: He/Him

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 13:24 - Aug 8 with 2269 viewstractordownsouth

I don’t want to piss on the Harper bonfire but my Birmingham supporting mate said for them last year he was like Prime Yaya Toure on his debut and then anonymous thereafter. Hopefully not the same for Town!
[Post edited 8 Aug 2021 13:25]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 13:27 - Aug 8 with 2225 viewsTractorCam

But Cook is a clown for selling our cherished academy products Dozzell and Bishop

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 13:56 - Aug 8 with 2075 viewswrightsrightglove

Yeah they look an incredible partnership who I don’t think would look out of place in the championship, and that’s their first game together, lots more to come from them!

It makes such a massive difference having midfielders who want and demand the ball from defenders when compared to the last however many years of midfielders going missing meaning that the defence just end up hoofing the ball to no-one!
That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 14:02 - Aug 8 with 2039 viewsMetal_Hacker

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 13:24 - Aug 8 by tractordownsouth

I don’t want to piss on the Harper bonfire but my Birmingham supporting mate said for them last year he was like Prime Yaya Toure on his debut and then anonymous thereafter. Hopefully not the same for Town!
[Post edited 8 Aug 2021 13:25]

Hopefully difference being , he’s playing for HIS club and not just on loan

Poll: If it were one or the other

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 14:12 - Aug 8 with 1987 viewsbilllm

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 13:56 - Aug 8 by wrightsrightglove

Yeah they look an incredible partnership who I don’t think would look out of place in the championship, and that’s their first game together, lots more to come from them!

It makes such a massive difference having midfielders who want and demand the ball from defenders when compared to the last however many years of midfielders going missing meaning that the defence just end up hoofing the ball to no-one!

They won't next year will they,
That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 14:18 - Aug 8 with 1936 viewsnoggin

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 14:12 - Aug 8 by billlm

They won't next year will they,

Who won't what next year,

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Login to get fewer ads

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 14:58 - Aug 8 with 1770 viewsbilllm

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 14:18 - Aug 8 by noggin

Who won't what next year,

As he said, be out of place in the championship next year, when we return,
That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 16:17 - Aug 8 with 1463 viewschrismakin

The way they pass the ball is the exact reason why we sidnt create anything last season.

Ping city with the balls. And also passes at speed that actually reached the player they were aiming for.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 16:45 - Aug 8 with 1377 viewsShropshireBluenago09

So good to finally have a decent midfield. We haven’t had one since Holland /Magic days.

Gus Uhlenbeek

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 16:50 - Aug 8 with 1356 viewspistonbroke

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 16:17 - Aug 8 by chrismakin

The way they pass the ball is the exact reason why we sidnt create anything last season.

Ping city with the balls. And also passes at speed that actually reached the player they were aiming for.

To be fair we hardly created anything yesterday , the equaliser coming from direct play , also the ammount of balls morecombe yes the mighty morecombe played balls through centrally leaves a lot to be desired
That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 16:57 - Aug 8 with 1322 viewschrismakin

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 16:50 - Aug 8 by pistonbroke

To be fair we hardly created anything yesterday , the equaliser coming from direct play , also the ammount of balls morecombe yes the mighty morecombe played balls through centrally leaves a lot to be desired

What's mighty got to do with anything. They are a league 1 side the same as us and they have some tidy players for this level.

There will be occasions the midfield is bypassed. Watched man city and leicester yesturday same thing happened in that. That's football.

I dont agree we didnt create anything. We did. Moments.

Moments that we havent had in games for many many months with the previous squad.

Those moments.. will increase in numbers and will bring more shots on target over time.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:01 - Aug 8 with 1293 viewspistonbroke

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 16:57 - Aug 8 by chrismakin

What's mighty got to do with anything. They are a league 1 side the same as us and they have some tidy players for this level.

There will be occasions the midfield is bypassed. Watched man city and leicester yesturday same thing happened in that. That's football.

I dont agree we didnt create anything. We did. Moments.

Moments that we havent had in games for many many months with the previous squad.

Those moments.. will increase in numbers and will bring more shots on target over time.

Hopefully they will , but just like we have to gel then so does every other team , to me it’s concerning how morecombe managed to play through our center the same as Colchester did , oh and we created hardly anything
That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:03 - Aug 8 with 1286 viewschrismakin

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:01 - Aug 8 by pistonbroke

Hopefully they will , but just like we have to gel then so does every other team , to me it’s concerning how morecombe managed to play through our center the same as Colchester did , oh and we created hardly anything

Lol. Long season ahead for you then if you dont expect any sides to be able to have moments of their own.

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:07 - Aug 8 with 1273 viewspistonbroke

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:03 - Aug 8 by chrismakin

Lol. Long season ahead for you then if you dont expect any sides to be able to have moments of their own.

It’s league 1 , the players are league 1 for a reason , just commenting on the fact that people are saying our center 2 are outstanding , maybe offensively but you have to defend as well , it’s part of the game
That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:10 - Aug 8 with 1259 viewschrismakin

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:07 - Aug 8 by pistonbroke

It’s league 1 , the players are league 1 for a reason , just commenting on the fact that people are saying our center 2 are outstanding , maybe offensively but you have to defend as well , it’s part of the game

Which is fair for you to discuss with them. However you replied to my post which was about our passing. Not the defensive side to our game.

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:13 - Aug 8 with 1236 viewspistonbroke

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:10 - Aug 8 by chrismakin

Which is fair for you to discuss with them. However you replied to my post which was about our passing. Not the defensive side to our game.

The defensive side needs addressing and quickly , a lot of that is down to the 2 in front
That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:19 - Aug 8 with 1206 viewsHerbivore

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:13 - Aug 8 by pistonbroke

The defensive side needs addressing and quickly , a lot of that is down to the 2 in front

Their two goals came from initial errors from the full backs compounded by defensive errors thereafter. Evans could have done more for the first goal, as could others, but your narrative that the midfield two allowed Morecambe to carve us open really doesn't stack up. The two goals aside they created little.

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:28 - Aug 8 with 1167 viewsfranz_tyson

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:13 - Aug 8 by pistonbroke

Well I think we’re going to be more attacking this season and that’s going to make us more vulnerable on the break. Need a more solid defence and both Evans and Harper are going to have to offer more defensively, but it could end up a trade-off whether we want to score more than we concede. Based on yesterday, I’d say the big positives were Evans and Harper and I think they’re crucial to how we’re going to play.
That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:34 - Aug 8 with 1137 viewspistonbroke

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:19 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

Their two goals came from initial errors from the full backs compounded by defensive errors thereafter. Evans could have done more for the first goal, as could others, but your narrative that the midfield two allowed Morecambe to carve us open really doesn't stack up. The two goals aside they created little.

I know sometimes you have selected reading , but I did not say about the 2 goals , I said the balls through the middle were not dealt with
That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:38 - Aug 8 with 1115 viewsHerbivore

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:34 - Aug 8 by pistonbroke

I know sometimes you have selected reading , but I did not say about the 2 goals , I said the balls through the middle were not dealt with

I disagree. Harper especially was mopping up and intercepting nicely.

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:40 - Aug 8 with 1097 viewschrismakin

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:34 - Aug 8 by pistonbroke

Tbh think you expect to much in football. You wont ever stop an opposition having their moments. Otherwise there wouldnt be a game of football.

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:41 - Aug 8 with 1076 viewsDubtractor

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:38 - Aug 8 by Herbivore

I disagree. Harper especially was mopping up and intercepting nicely.

Yep, lets be fair here, whilst we should have put that game to bed and our performance was patchy, we did still largely control the game and gave away 2 goals out of nothing.

What I noticed is that Evans and Harper were often sat very deep indeed to allow cover for when the 2 full backs were bombed high up the pitch.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:43 - Aug 8 with 1052 viewspistonbroke

That midfield pairing of Evans and Harper on 17:40 - Aug 8 by chrismakin

Tbh think you expect to much in football. You wont ever stop an opposition having their moments. Otherwise there wouldnt be a game of football.

Not at all , the title of this thread was how good are out 2. Central midfielders , mycomment was while they may be good going forward , defensively I think they could be better and better teams than morecombe will exploit this
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024