Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hmmmm 09:37 - Aug 10 with 2136 viewsnshearman1

I love the new signings in general, very exciting, though we've left it badly late to sort out the crucial CB situation. However, while I'm pleased with the tougher approach generally, I'm uncomfortable with a number of aspects of it. The treatment of Chambers, the dumping of players in the U23s, and now the treatment of Jacobs and attempt to get Morell are all things that go against the grain. We can be tougher without being arseholes. I'm sure I'll get lots of flak but this stuff doesn't sit comfortably for me when they blather on about our history and values. Wouldn't have sat well with Sir Bobby either.
Hmmmm on 09:48 - Aug 10 with 2052 viewsPinewoodblue

Drastic action was necessary. Cook has already said he expects some of those discarded to prove him wrong. Sad that he didn’t manage to turn things around back end of last season, might not have needed to discard the youngsters then.

The revenue raised by sales is however important to the plan.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Hmmmm on 09:50 - Aug 10 with 2023 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

We don't know the ins and outs of it all,m and drastic action was needed.

Your view assumes that the players were all angels with impeccable attitudes. Unlikely to be the case.

Onwards and upwards.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Hmmmm on 09:52 - Aug 10 with 2005 viewsCheltenham_Blue

We've never had an arsehole streak about us, but with the way the football market has gone over the last 20 years, you need ruthlessness to succeed.

We've only just started doing what other clubs have been doing for years, and in past years, its hindered us.

Our history is our history, but Bobby, god rest him, would need to be just as ruthless if he was managing in todays market. He had a rule that no player should be paid more than the manager, he wouldn't manage that now, things change.

And players not prepared to die for ITFC, can go and until they go, they shouldn't be able to upset the ethos we are building and so can sit in the U23's.

I'm not sure I know what you mean about Chamo's treatment? He had a very good, and well paid career here, but ultimately was part of the problem dragging us backward.

The sentimentality has to be tempered a little if we want to progress as a club I'm afraid.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 9:57]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Hmmmm on 09:53 - Aug 10 with 1989 viewsWickets

Me thinks you have this out of proportion .
Hmmmm on 09:54 - Aug 10 with 1976 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Hmmmm on 09:52 - Aug 10 by Cheltenham_Blue

We've never had an arsehole streak about us, but with the way the football market has gone over the last 20 years, you need ruthlessness to succeed.

We've only just started doing what other clubs have been doing for years, and in past years, its hindered us.

Our history is our history, but Bobby, god rest him, would need to be just as ruthless if he was managing in todays market. He had a rule that no player should be paid more than the manager, he wouldn't manage that now, things change.

And players not prepared to die for ITFC, can go and until they go, they shouldn't be able to upset the ethos we are building and so can sit in the U23's.

I'm not sure I know what you mean about Chamo's treatment? He had a very good, and well paid career here, but ultimately was part of the problem dragging us backward.

The sentimentality has to be tempered a little if we want to progress as a club I'm afraid.
[Post edited 10 Aug 2021 9:57]

...also we have pretty much signed as many players in one summer as Sir Bobby signed over his while time at Ipswich.

Like you say, it's a different game now.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Watching Evans on Saturday made me think just how important... on 09:56 - Aug 10 with 1953 viewsunstableblue

... it was to clear out the likes of Chambo and Skuse, and just how ineffective our old captain had become

We needed a clean sweep... and Cook was probably caught between keeping an element of the old guard for continuity and a complete clean slate

I'm glad he went for the latter

But I have to say we have so much riding on Cook's judgement.. I pray he succeeds, and as fans we have to back him and the team

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Hmmmm on 09:58 - Aug 10 with 1935 viewsBloomBlue

I'm happy with the Jacobs transfer/non transfer but if the Cobbold's /Sir Bob were still here 100% they would have apologised publicly to Jacobs last night. But football has moved on from those days it's ruthless now. Fans moan about the ManU's etc and the European break away league but that's football now form top to bottom it's ruthless either accept it or find another sport. The big problem is the hypocrisy ie fans moaning about clubs wanting to form a break away league even though that was for the benefit of them but then saying breaking the Jacobs deal last minute is accepted because it's also for the benefit of us., either both are acceptable or both are wrong.
For me both are acceptable
Hmmmm on 09:58 - Aug 10 with 1939 viewschicoazul

Bobby had a full on punch up with one of his early Ipswich players. He once drew a circle around the Ipswich area and warned his scouts that if they missed out on a good player in our area they would lose their job. He knew the score and was as hard as anyone.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Hmmmm on 09:58 - Aug 10 with 1926 viewsbluefunk

Wouldn’t have sat well with Sir Booby? The man that had a fist fight with 2 of his first team squad who wouldn’t toe the line, I think he would have understood perfectly well that when there are bad apples, sometimes the only way is to empty the barrel.
Hmmmm on 10:08 - Aug 10 with 1879 viewsScuzzer

Hmmmm on 09:58 - Aug 10 by chicoazul

Bobby had a full on punch up with one of his early Ipswich players. He once drew a circle around the Ipswich area and warned his scouts that if they missed out on a good player in our area they would lose their job. He knew the score and was as hard as anyone.

Billy Baxter...who at the time was the captain.

Established 1968

Hmmmm on 10:12 - Aug 10 with 1854 viewsgordon

I do agree that some aspects of what has happened under Cook/the new lot do raise a few questions, but the club have been treating players, managers and staff in fairly dodgy ways, and employing a fair few dodgy individuals since Evans took over and also before then (I remember the days of Gary Croft playing with a prison tag on his ankle), so it isn't really as if we've just lost our Corinthian values or whatever.
Hmmmm on 10:16 - Aug 10 with 1815 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Hmmmm on 10:12 - Aug 10 by gordon

I do agree that some aspects of what has happened under Cook/the new lot do raise a few questions, but the club have been treating players, managers and staff in fairly dodgy ways, and employing a fair few dodgy individuals since Evans took over and also before then (I remember the days of Gary Croft playing with a prison tag on his ankle), so it isn't really as if we've just lost our Corinthian values or whatever.

Gary Croft. Now lists himself as an 'Actor' (amongst other professions)

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Hmmmm on 10:18 - Aug 10 with 1792 viewsChiefXL

All we've heard on the Jacobs situation is one side of the story, so why would we judge based on that?
Hmmmm on 10:22 - Aug 10 with 1762 viewsitfcjoe

Think there has to be an element of all bets are off this summer - we will get some things wrong no doubt, but it is a summer like no other.

I don't like some of what we've done, but this is the big reset, once this window shuts, everyone breathes again and we then try to act like a normal football club and make more considered and thoughtful decisions going forward.

People in the game have short memories, treating a few people badly will be fish and chip paper by tomorrow and, the key thing is, if we are succesful nothing else will matter - and future transfer windows will see tweaking and a bit of business. I don't necessarily think the club deserves a total free pass, but to some extent it needs one.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Hmmmm on 10:23 - Aug 10 with 1749 viewsWD19

'Against the grain' in the same way that scoring decent goals from open play and coming from behind to get a result!?

Invoking Sir Bobby is as poor as it is misguided.
Hmmmm on 10:24 - Aug 10 with 1729 viewsitfcjoe

I think sometimes people confuse being ruthless with a being an ar5ehole.

Ruthless is making the decisions, being an ar5ehole is how you deliver them - as said in other post, we'll get things wrong this summer - but it is the most ridiculous window in the history of the club, and hopefully we won't see one like it again as means something has gone badly wrong!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Hmmmm on 10:35 - Aug 10 with 1668 viewsN2_Blue

This just seems like a moan for moans sake.

This club has been a soft touch for so long and that is how we got into the issue of having a squad that had lost all drive, ambition and was just coasting and picking up wages. Chambers & Skuse etc no longer had the drive or ability to be promotion chasing.

Did Town moan about losing out on Crooks and Warnes comments. Not really, we accepted we missed out and move on to other targets. Morrell isn't an issue really, Portmsouth got their man and good luck to them, a decent player. I'm not going to cry about it like their fans were when they thought they'd missed out. Crooks was the big one...it's what happens in football but our signings look pretty damn good to me.

Only person i feel slightly sorry for is Jacobs, but football is tough. Players change their minds last minute and leave clubs in the lurch and vice versa happens.

If the club genuinely felt Edwards is a better option would you want the club to go ahead and sign a different player just because you feel they are obliged to? Its tough/harsh....but ultimately the right decision if managers and owners feel Edwards is the better deal and clearly they do....and I'm inclined to agree. Was never very excited about Jacobs signing anyway.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Hmmmm on 10:45 - Aug 10 with 1630 viewsWeWereZombies

Bobby Robson did indeed deal out some very harsh treatment to some of his own players and the managers of other teams but it was always, in his view, appropriate. And never offhand. He had ethical standards and was not afraid to offer his judgement on the treatment he got (i.e. in Portugal, Holland and Spain) when directors of clubs he worked at did not match his expectations. I don't think this debate has anything to do with an allegedly tougher market in football at present. We will continue to see clubs that act honourably most of the time and clubs who continually are a disservice to the game. Let's hope that when the dust settles and we get more of the story we find Town in the former camp.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024