Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The same excuses for managerial failure? 22:19 - Aug 10 with 9313 viewsMattinLondon

Last season Cook was appalling - both the results and performances were poor - but his reputation was relatively unaffected. And today, I’ve read a number of comments stating that the result didn’t matter and that the match was entertaining.

So, why will questions be asked about Paul Cook’s position? Surly, by mid-September at the latest if the team is ‘still in progress’ then he should be sacked?

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:21 - Aug 10 with 4535 viewsGarv

Modern football.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:25 - Aug 10 with 4463 viewsMattinLondon

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:21 - Aug 10 by Garv

Modern football.

Regardless of the decade, managers have always been under pressure to get results.
The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:29 - Aug 10 with 4386 viewsCoco

give him until the weekend.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:30 - Aug 10 with 4387 viewsJakeITFC

I think if you’re looking to question the manager after what is effectively a reserve team match, the problem is yours.
The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:34 - Aug 10 with 4317 viewsSwansea_Blue

He needs a bit of time to mould his new group of players into a team, shirley? I completely understand where you're coming from and I'm yet to be convinced myself, but this is such a different squad (unless you play Jackson and Norwood together after signing loads of forwards ) that we need to start again with him.

I really don't like this disrespect for the cup though. As if you can pick and choose which matches you win. When you're as average as us that isn't an option.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:34 - Aug 10 with 4320 viewsMattinLondon

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:30 - Aug 10 by JakeITFC

I think if you’re looking to question the manager after what is effectively a reserve team match, the problem is yours.

The last three managers have promised a lot but have failed to deliver and initially had people making the same excuses - needs time, entertaining football etc etc. And he’s been here for a lot longer than the start of this season.

I’ll gladly give him until mid-September but he has to deliver.
The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:34 - Aug 10 with 4291 viewschrismakin

Based on the Chairman saying that patience is required. It won't be anytime this year

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:36 - Aug 10 with 4273 viewsJakeITFC

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:34 - Aug 10 by MattinLondon

The last three managers have promised a lot but have failed to deliver and initially had people making the same excuses - needs time, entertaining football etc etc. And he’s been here for a lot longer than the start of this season.

I’ll gladly give him until mid-September but he has to deliver.

Tonight seems a weird time to make that point.
Login to get fewer ads

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:36 - Aug 10 with 4274 viewsMattinLondon

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:34 - Aug 10 by Swansea_Blue

He needs a bit of time to mould his new group of players into a team, shirley? I completely understand where you're coming from and I'm yet to be convinced myself, but this is such a different squad (unless you play Jackson and Norwood together after signing loads of forwards ) that we need to start again with him.

I really don't like this disrespect for the cup though. As if you can pick and choose which matches you win. When you're as average as us that isn't an option.

The whole new team thing is down to him - I’m not saying he was wrong - but he has to be held accountable for that decision. He can’t get away with the generic excuse that the club needed a massive reboot.
The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:37 - Aug 10 with 4237 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:34 - Aug 10 by chrismakin

Based on the Chairman saying that patience is required. It won't be anytime this year

LOL.

You've heard of the dreaded vote of confidence? Chairmen say all sorts and rarely stick to it.

Patience won't be shown if we don't get enough wins.

I do think there are enough signs to suggest will get some wins soon though.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:37 - Aug 10 with 4240 viewsMattinLondon

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:36 - Aug 10 by JakeITFC

Tonight seems a weird time to make that point.

Not just tonight but since he’s been manager that he and his team hasn’t performed.
The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:37 - Aug 10 with 4222 viewschrismakin

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:36 - Aug 10 by MattinLondon

The whole new team thing is down to him - I’m not saying he was wrong - but he has to be held accountable for that decision. He can’t get away with the generic excuse that the club needed a massive reboot.

'HE' has to be? We have new owners, new CEO and new Chairman, anyone of them could have stopped the player change over.

They didnt, why? because it was needed.

Because they agreed to it, they as a group have to see it through, sacking PC anytime soon would make them all look stupid imo.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:38 - Aug 10 with 4217 viewsGeomorph

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:34 - Aug 10 by chrismakin

This
The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:38 - Aug 10 with 4211 viewstextbackup

Frustrating tonight, but personally I believe there’s a bigger picture to be looking at here.

However, I get it’s a results business and some will make it all about that. Cook knows this too.

Some very nice football played tonight, just lacked that killer touch infront of goal. If this is a product of what we are doing in training, and it does click in time, we are going to be a very lucky set of fans.

Just please, put on a sensible head and try consider Rome wasn’t built in a day

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:41 - Aug 10 with 4164 viewsMattinLondon

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:38 - Aug 10 by textbackup

Frustrating tonight, but personally I believe there’s a bigger picture to be looking at here.

However, I get it’s a results business and some will make it all about that. Cook knows this too.

Some very nice football played tonight, just lacked that killer touch infront of goal. If this is a product of what we are doing in training, and it does click in time, we are going to be a very lucky set of fans.

Just please, put on a sensible head and try consider Rome wasn’t built in a day

I’m not asking Cook to build a city full of magnificent modern and ancient architecture- just want his team(s) to actually win like you know, winners.
The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:45 - Aug 10 with 4096 viewstextbackup

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:41 - Aug 10 by MattinLondon

I’m not asking Cook to build a city full of magnificent modern and ancient architecture- just want his team(s) to actually win like you know, winners.

I’m glad I wasted time to reply to get such a smart one back.

Did you not see some really decent football tonight? That can be built upon? Or am i completely wasting my time talking?

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:45 - Aug 10 with 4094 viewsSwansea_Blue

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:30 - Aug 10 by JakeITFC

The question then is why does it have to be the reserve team match? He's signed a whole bunch of new players and needs to get them used to his system and to each other, yet he only played 3 of his signings in the starting line up. Surely he should use this as an opportunity to integrate the new signings into the first team and work on how you want them to play together? And maybe even work on his supposedly preferred formation.

On the flip side, despite throwing the game, he has had a look at some of the youth coming through. That's the only highlight that I can see - this game was only of benefit for Humphries, Clements and El Miz. The reserve/fringe players like Dobra, Donacian and Holy he should know all about already, so there's nothing for them that a reserve game couldn't do. Fitness time for Barry (I'm not sure where he's at) and Bonne may have been useful as well, but I'm really clutching at straws now as meaningful game time would be to play them with the first team if that's where they're going to end up.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:48 - Aug 10 with 4059 viewsDarth_Koont

That’s too early IMO.

Hell of a lot of moving parts in this new team, while he inherited a team that shrank in face of the challenge of Top 6. Those aren’t excuses but explanations.

I’m giving him and the team until October. I expect to see wins and performances before then but I think that’s a decent period to settle into a rhythm and show where we’re heading.

Pronouns: He/Him

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:53 - Aug 10 with 3979 viewsMattinLondon

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:45 - Aug 10 by textbackup

I’m glad I wasted time to reply to get such a smart one back.

Did you not see some really decent football tonight? That can be built upon? Or am i completely wasting my time talking?

It’s was entertaining, but ultimately it doesn’t matter how well that team performed like because it’ll be the first team on Saturday. A first team that badly needs to gel and form an understanding.
The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:54 - Aug 10 with 3962 viewstextbackup

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:45 - Aug 10 by Swansea_Blue

The question then is why does it have to be the reserve team match? He's signed a whole bunch of new players and needs to get them used to his system and to each other, yet he only played 3 of his signings in the starting line up. Surely he should use this as an opportunity to integrate the new signings into the first team and work on how you want them to play together? And maybe even work on his supposedly preferred formation.

On the flip side, despite throwing the game, he has had a look at some of the youth coming through. That's the only highlight that I can see - this game was only of benefit for Humphries, Clements and El Miz. The reserve/fringe players like Dobra, Donacian and Holy he should know all about already, so there's nothing for them that a reserve game couldn't do. Fitness time for Barry (I'm not sure where he's at) and Bonne may have been useful as well, but I'm really clutching at straws now as meaningful game time would be to play them with the first team if that's where they're going to end up.

I do agree that 5/6 from sat should have started. To give them more game time together.
But then again I’ve no idea who’s at what fitness level and what the coaches do/see daily

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:55 - Aug 10 with 3947 viewsTomTheWriter

Do I have to keep reminding everyone that Oxford were in the relegation zone last December, and then made it into the play offs?

There is no ‘give him a couple more games’, ‘give him to October’. Such a backwards way of thinking. We will never get out of this league if at the first sign of a rebuild we throw the can in straight away. Cook has my full support until at least the end of the January window. You’re not out of the race until it is mathematically impossible.

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:56 - Aug 10 with 3929 viewspointofblue

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:54 - Aug 10 by textbackup

I do agree that 5/6 from sat should have started. To give them more game time together.
But then again I’ve no idea who’s at what fitness level and what the coaches do/see daily

And what would we have said if KVY, Evans or Harper had picked up a long term injury tonight?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:57 - Aug 10 with 3907 viewslazyblue

Mate, we don’t have to worry about Cook as if he gets teams playing the way we did tonight with a bit more of the quality players on show( like Fraser tonight) we will win plenty of games and in some style too.
The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:57 - Aug 10 with 3905 viewsMattinLondon

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:48 - Aug 10 by Darth_Koont

That’s too early IMO.

Hell of a lot of moving parts in this new team, while he inherited a team that shrank in face of the challenge of Top 6. Those aren’t excuses but explanations.

I’m giving him and the team until October. I expect to see wins and performances before then but I think that’s a decent period to settle into a rhythm and show where we’re heading.

Whilst not disagreeing with your post I do think that the August matches should all be three points.
The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:58 - Aug 10 with 3867 viewschrismakin

The same excuses for managerial failure? on 22:56 - Aug 10 by pointofblue

And what would we have said if KVY, Evans or Harper had picked up a long term injury tonight?

That's the thing isn't it. yes you can get injured in a league game, but these cup games are massive risks..... esp newport making their own changes, Players trying hard to impress in the tackle etc...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024