Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some 22:50 - Aug 10 with 2551 viewsitfcsuth

I have to say - and slightly frustrating to read.

Second game of the season, a team largely filled with youngsters and I have to say there was some shining performances from them tonight.

It was an entertaining game, and we are playing some really good football. A game on another night we win comfortably by 3 or 4 - post twice, one off the line, world class save, good chances squandered.

Certainly falls into ‘one of those nights’ category tonight.

Have to say a notable mention to Dobra, El Mizouni, Humphreys and Clements who I thought we all brilliant tonight.
I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 22:54 - Aug 10 with 2235 viewslazyblue

Little frustrating to lose but it was a really entertaining game, we played at a fast attacking pace and really should have had 5 or 6.
I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 22:55 - Aug 10 with 2234 viewsFunge

The kids were mainly pretty good tonight.

Back 2 weren't great, and Aluko was seriously unfit. Donacien did OK, but was left exposed by Aluko on a number of occasions - Ellison took advantage.

Barry and Dobra looked ace, at times, and Bonne was a handful up front. Good that Fraser got another 30 minutes.

Norwood injured again (hmmmm....), and Jackson is just crap.

Enjoyable game, with a very young team, in a pointless competition.
I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 23:04 - Aug 10 with 2170 viewsitfcsuth

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 22:54 - Aug 10 by lazyblue

Little frustrating to lose but it was a really entertaining game, we played at a fast attacking pace and really should have had 5 or 6.

I don’t like losing at all, but I don’t think there needs to be a dark cloud over that performance tonight.

We are still such a new squad, and that was a largely filled young line up, and there were many positives to take from some individual performances, and the teams overall performance.
I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 23:06 - Aug 10 with 2162 viewsitfcsuth

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 22:55 - Aug 10 by Funge

Back 2 weren't great, and Aluko was seriously unfit. Donacien did OK, but was left exposed by Aluko on a number of occasions - Ellison took advantage.

Barry and Dobra looked ace, at times, and Bonne was a handful up front. Good that Fraser got another 30 minutes.

Though Ndaba struggled a little, though Woolfenden was largely fine until the 90+ minute when he was robbed on the ball again.

As you sum up nicely at the end, enjoyable game with a largely young side. Positives to take.
I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 23:27 - Aug 10 with 2103 viewsIllinoisblue

Fans upset about losing. Although we should be used to it.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 00:57 - Aug 11 with 2022 viewsBlueBadger

I suspect that some of it might have been mitigated had we not finished last season so utterly feebly and taken such a high-risk strategy in essentially completely rebuilding the squad. Unless there's a Hurst/Keane/Lambert-esque lengthy losing run, the time to start forming a judgement is October-ish

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 01:02 - Aug 11 with 2016 viewsistanblue

Don't understand? We lost to a club who are a league below, who made 11 CHANGES and we were at home ffs!
I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 05:17 - Aug 11 with 1936 viewsipswichone

Should be used to defeat by now,and the excuses keep coming,lol
Login to get fewer ads

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 07:11 - Aug 11 with 1817 viewsAsa

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 01:02 - Aug 11 by istanblue

Don't understand? We lost to a club who are a league below, who made 11 CHANGES and we were at home ffs!

That’s football.

I’d understand the upset if we’d been outplayed and outpassed and created nothing.

We controlled the ball, created chance after chance and could not score. How exactly can Cook control that?

We hit the post twice, missed a couple of sitters and their keeper made 3 or 4 brilliant stops. It’s performances that determine how you will fare over a season not results.

Remember when we won our first four under Mick and were outplayed in every game? That ended up being reflective of a disappointing mid table season. Same with at this level where we’ve raced to the top with uninspiring performances that suggested we weren’t up to promotion.

I don’t have any doubt it’ll be a good season. Regardless of an undeserved shock cup defeat to a team we dominated.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 7:32]
I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 07:50 - Aug 11 with 1708 viewsBloomBlue

It was an entertaining game but I guess people are looking at it from the perspective of football is about a squad and technically this was our squad reserves and they were at home to L2 Newport's youth team. If the 'squad' cannot beat a L2 youth team what are our chances against a L1 side in the league if we have a few injuries.

It's far too early to draw any conclusions, especially as it was a cup game that the Mgr had already said he wasn't interested in.
But I guess some people given the quality of some of our transfers were expecting a win against a L2 youth team.
I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 07:56 - Aug 11 with 1688 viewsVic

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 22:55 - Aug 10 by Funge

It would still be nice to think that our youngsters would beat Newport’s youngsters wouldn’t it!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 07:57 - Aug 11 with 1678 viewsMaySixth

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 07:50 - Aug 11 by BloomBlue

It was an entertaining game but I guess people are looking at it from the perspective of football is about a squad and technically this was our squad reserves and they were at home to L2 Newport's youth team. If the 'squad' cannot beat a L2 youth team what are our chances against a L1 side in the league if we have a few injuries.

It's far too early to draw any conclusions, especially as it was a cup game that the Mgr had already said he wasn't interested in.
But I guess some people given the quality of some of our transfers were expecting a win against a L2 youth team.

Kevin Ellison is 42

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 07:58 - Aug 11 with 1672 viewsChrisd

That's the sort of game in recent seasons where we'd get beaten, but literally have no goal threat and go out of the competition with a whimper with one tame effort on target! We created so many chances that we could've realistically won that by 4 or 5, but we just lacked a little composure in front of goal. The problem I foresee is that we have a section of fans that believe we were going to win every game this season and when we don't then the wining starts - they really need to have a look at themselves!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 07:59 - Aug 11 with 1668 viewsHerbivore

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 07:11 - Aug 11 by Asa

That’s football.

I’d understand the upset if we’d been outplayed and outpassed and created nothing.

We controlled the ball, created chance after chance and could not score. How exactly can Cook control that?

We hit the post twice, missed a couple of sitters and their keeper made 3 or 4 brilliant stops. It’s performances that determine how you will fare over a season not results.

Remember when we won our first four under Mick and were outplayed in every game? That ended up being reflective of a disappointing mid table season. Same with at this level where we’ve raced to the top with uninspiring performances that suggested we weren’t up to promotion.

I don’t have any doubt it’ll be a good season. Regardless of an undeserved shock cup defeat to a team we dominated.

Results tend to determine where you finish, mate. You don't get points for possession stats and creating chances.

There's no reason to be worried but I do think the blind optimism is equally unwarranted at this point as well. Yes we are gelling but both games so far have been against sides that have made as many changes to their side as we have and so far we've needed a stoppage time equaliser to draw with Morecambe and we've lost to Newport.

I am hopeful that things will come together for us over the next month or so but I can't honestly say that based on these two games I think it's nailed on. Saturday I thought we were ropey, Harper and Evans aside, and last night it's pleasing we created chances but that should be a bare minimum expectation against Newport's youth team.

So yeah, the negativity from one or two posters is very much over the top but so is some of the stuff posted in response to it. We're a work in progress, we hope it'll come together, let's wait and see whether it does.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 08:37 - Aug 11 with 1612 viewsitfcjoe

Because people are so accepting of mediocrity, as a club the fanbase has clapped us to relegation and now after 2 years in this division we have started the season with a couple of rubbish results and some of the comments you read on here are absolutely mental.

"As League Cup defeats go, that was a great one."

"Thankyou for giving me back exciting football. Thank you all at Gamechanger, Cookie and the players. Despite tonight's result that was most enjoyable game I've seen us play in for years."

A 1-0 defeat, at home to a League 2 side, who had made 11 changes - with 5 or 6 players starting who would walk into their first team.

No one is pressing the panic button, no one is questioning Cook, everyone can see we are moving in the right direction, and can see what we are trying to do - but sometimes a spade needs to be called a spade and that was a rubbish result.

They scored early, let us have the ball for 85 minutes and we didn't score. We created enough to do so, but we didn't.

I'm sure things we'll begin to win games soon, but they need to - we can't just bang on about performances for weeks whilst we get rubbish results.

Now I'm sure people won't read this properly and see it as me slating Cook - but i hate losing games of football, I hate seeing us lose to teams we shouldn't even be playing - and whilst I can accept it as we created a few chances and looked good at times - I'm not going to come on here and wax lyrical about how brilliant we were. because we weren't - being brilliant includes scoring goals.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 08:43 - Aug 11 with 1577 viewsSteve_M

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 07:11 - Aug 11 by Asa

That’s football.

"Remember when we won our first four under Mick and were outplayed in every game?"

We weren't outplayed in every game, Brentford were better than us but didn't actually manage a decent shot on target. Neither Birmingham or Barnsley outplayed us and Millwall was a gloriously bonkers evening of football.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 08:45 - Aug 11 with 1568 viewsHerbivore

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 08:43 - Aug 11 by Steve_M

"Remember when we won our first four under Mick and were outplayed in every game?"

We weren't outplayed in every game, Brentford were better than us but didn't actually manage a decent shot on target. Neither Birmingham or Barnsley outplayed us and Millwall was a gloriously bonkers evening of football.

Brentford had about 20 shots but I'm not sure any of them were from inside the box. We looked more likely to get a third than they did to score a single goal.

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 17:17 - Aug 11 with 1409 viewsAsa

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 07:59 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

Results tend to determine where you finish, mate. You don't get points for possession stats and creating chances.

There's no reason to be worried but I do think the blind optimism is equally unwarranted at this point as well. Yes we are gelling but both games so far have been against sides that have made as many changes to their side as we have and so far we've needed a stoppage time equaliser to draw with Morecambe and we've lost to Newport.

I am hopeful that things will come together for us over the next month or so but I can't honestly say that based on these two games I think it's nailed on. Saturday I thought we were ropey, Harper and Evans aside, and last night it's pleasing we created chances but that should be a bare minimum expectation against Newport's youth team.

So yeah, the negativity from one or two posters is very much over the top but so is some of the stuff posted in response to it. We're a work in progress, we hope it'll come together, let's wait and see whether it does.

I can guarantee you the teams that play the best and create the most chances are the ones that do get the most points.

Have a look at any league table at the end of the season against chance creation. The teams that create more tend to score more and win more.

Suggesting the teams with the most points after one or two matches are the teams that will be up there is obviously complete rubbish as we all know. But every season you see more teams playing well in the first 5-6 games but not getting results do well over the course of the season than teams not playing well but picking up a win or two.

It’s great to win when not playing well but nobody does that over a season or even that often over a season.

Ultimately if you play most matches in a season then you do well. So far we’ve had two matches where we’ve played very well, dominated possession, averaged almost 20 chances per game and the results will come with the players we have.
I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 17:51 - Aug 11 with 1301 viewsHerbivore

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 17:17 - Aug 11 by Asa

I can guarantee you the teams that play the best and create the most chances are the ones that do get the most points.

Have a look at any league table at the end of the season against chance creation. The teams that create more tend to score more and win more.

Suggesting the teams with the most points after one or two matches are the teams that will be up there is obviously complete rubbish as we all know. But every season you see more teams playing well in the first 5-6 games but not getting results do well over the course of the season than teams not playing well but picking up a win or two.

It’s great to win when not playing well but nobody does that over a season or even that often over a season.

Ultimately if you play most matches in a season then you do well. So far we’ve had two matches where we’ve played very well, dominated possession, averaged almost 20 chances per game and the results will come with the players we have.

Do you genuinely think we played very well against Morecambe? I really can't agree with that.

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 18:20 - Aug 11 with 1261 viewsAsa

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 17:51 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

Do you genuinely think we played very well against Morecambe? I really can't agree with that.

Sorry. Didn’t explain properly. Meant we’ve played very well across the two not that we’ve played very well in both. All things considered I thought we played well against Morecambe. But then I’m judging that largely on the 8-9 I expect to be in the side at the end of August. Again probably not a fair way to measure against others.

Defensively there were issues but that’s to be expected with two centre halves we are looking to replace / one of which we have replaced.

For a new team to play in the manner it did I thought was impressive. The best passing move we’ve seen down here for years created the first goal. Morecambe were spoilers, the ref abysmal and we had some little moments of quality without creating lots of clear cut chances like last night.

That performance was better than anything I remember seeing last season, Blackpool away aside. So in context I’d say we played well.

No doubt we can play miles better as we gel and will need to in order to go up but I certainly came away entertained and encouraged and thinking that if Woolf had just booted a poor pass away instead of trying to be clever we’d have gone on to win the match.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 18:22]
I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 18:24 - Aug 11 with 1237 viewsBryanPlug

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 17:17 - Aug 11 by Asa

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 22:31 - Aug 11 with 1154 viewsistanblue

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 08:37 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

Because people are so accepting of mediocrity, as a club the fanbase has clapped us to relegation and now after 2 years in this division we have started the season with a couple of rubbish results and some of the comments you read on here are absolutely mental.

"As League Cup defeats go, that was a great one."

"Thankyou for giving me back exciting football. Thank you all at Gamechanger, Cookie and the players. Despite tonight's result that was most enjoyable game I've seen us play in for years."

A 1-0 defeat, at home to a League 2 side, who had made 11 changes - with 5 or 6 players starting who would walk into their first team.

No one is pressing the panic button, no one is questioning Cook, everyone can see we are moving in the right direction, and can see what we are trying to do - but sometimes a spade needs to be called a spade and that was a rubbish result.

They scored early, let us have the ball for 85 minutes and we didn't score. We created enough to do so, but we didn't.

I'm sure things we'll begin to win games soon, but they need to - we can't just bang on about performances for weeks whilst we get rubbish results.

Now I'm sure people won't read this properly and see it as me slating Cook - but i hate losing games of football, I hate seeing us lose to teams we shouldn't even be playing - and whilst I can accept it as we created a few chances and looked good at times - I'm not going to come on here and wax lyrical about how brilliant we were. because we weren't - being brilliant includes scoring goals.

Spot on! Being saying it for ages that the comfy culture of mediocrity didn't only affect the players, management and ownership, but the fanbase too. Way too many that are quite content with applauding failure.
I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 10:03 - Aug 12 with 996 viewsWickets

Well i just want to win a game or two nothing like the feel good factor to kick start this season full of hope . We have all seen the promise but for me it really does not count for too much until we start winning games .
I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 11:14 - Aug 12 with 934 viewsChrisd

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 10:03 - Aug 12 by Wickets

Well i just want to win a game or two nothing like the feel good factor to kick start this season full of hope . We have all seen the promise but for me it really does not count for too much until we start winning games .

When we were playing under PH in a higher league, we literally had no goal threat and there was plenty of optimism then. We're two games into the new season and the second game was a 'reserve' fixture against Newport, that result was never going to define our season - win, lose or draw. We aren't going to win every game however much we want that to happen, Man City won't or nor will PSG in their respective leagues - even with their vast wealth. We've got a good manager and we've got a very decent squad for L1, which are now PC's players, lets allow that to percolate , the wins will come but a little patience and trust needs to be shown.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

I’m not sure why there is doom and gloom from some on 11:32 - Aug 12 with 915 viewsElephantintheRoom

Tossing away a home draw against Newport's yoof team was a tad careless surely? I know 'supporters' have become brainwashed into accepting throwing away cup ties - bt it is a tad disappointing.

Not sure there is too much to enthuse about? The club is in the hands of complete strangers and in hoc to a property fund in Ohio. Many Town supporters remember the ownership being a little more local shall we say - and yearn for a bit of continuity. Changing the entire team on the say so of a manager who was utterly rubbish last season is a bit of a stretch for some - but clearly not for many.

I dont think it is that surprising that many supporters are not entirely on board

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024