Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some of you need to get a grip. 07:56 - Aug 11 with 10568 viewsChondzoresk

Flouncing is unreal. These players and team in general will take a while to get going. Yes, last night was frustrating. However, I am sure things will get better soon. Hang on in there. This is a marathon not a sprint. Have a great day and let's have positive vibes.
Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:09 - Aug 11 with 1141 viewsblueears

Its not flouncing. Newport had changed most of their team too. Their manager even said they hadnt really played together. We ought to be beating teams like this. Cook hasnt convinced me he is the man for the job. He has been pretty awful for the most part.
Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:10 - Aug 11 with 1138 viewsitfcjoe

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:08 - Aug 11 by homer_123

This board is getting very tiresome, particularly over this issue. Cook hasn't got a free pass and isn't immune from scrutiny.

For me it's the need to make out things are brilliant when they aren't - we are a work in progress, and that will result in ups and downs - but any downs are being talked up massively.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:14 - Aug 11 with 1110 viewsThe_Realist_09

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:10 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

For me it's the need to make out things are brilliant when they aren't - we are a work in progress, and that will result in ups and downs - but any downs are being talked up massively.

People booing at the full-time whistle is really poor and will certainly not help the cause 2 games into a new season with a totally new group. What a way to introduce them to our fan base...
Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:15 - Aug 11 with 1106 viewsBluesky

Some of you need to get a grip. on 08:19 - Aug 11 by chicoazul

Nonetheless Cook has been useless since he got here. This is a fact. And we just failed to beat two utter minnows at home.

Bear in mind regarding “minnows” that we have only just started respawning and are not yet big fish ourselves. Be patient.
Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:17 - Aug 11 with 1105 viewshomer_123

Typical lack of objectivity from a lot of posters.

Everyone knows it's a new squad, it will take time to gel - just seems so many are keen to jump on anyone that even, remotely, queries, questions or generally postures a view that is deemed negative when, in fact, they are merely posting facts or observing what we've all seen.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:18 - Aug 11 with 1100 viewsblueears

But hasnt he lost a lot of credit after the end of last season ? Ive never been convinced since he was named manager. Im still not sure what the fuss is over him. I have this feeling he isnt great without Liam Richardson and lm not at all sure all these coaches he has surrounded himself with have enough experience that LM had.
Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:18 - Aug 11 with 1101 viewsportmanking

Do you not think people are talking up the downs because there is a sense of disbelief at the short-termism of a cross-section of fans?

I certainly can't believe what I'm seeing/reading at times. Talk of giving Cook "a month" to sort things out. The idea that this is going to come together in 4 weeks and we're going to steamroller teams is for the birds. It's utter folly. We built sustainable success with Burley over 5 YEARS. We finally have owners that want to build more sustainable success, with prudent acquisitions and investment in infrastructure, yet two games in we're already hearing some fans wanting to rip it all up and start all over!

Yes, getting promoted this year is the primary target. But IMO to heap pressure by saying things like "it's this year or bust" is just unnecessary. Let the team build partnerships and let's see where we go.
Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:21 - Aug 11 with 1084 viewshomer_123

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:14 - Aug 11 by The_Realist_09

People booing at the full-time whistle is really poor and will certainly not help the cause 2 games into a new season with a totally new group. What a way to introduce them to our fan base...

Was there booing last night then? Wasn't on Saturday.

Login to get fewer ads

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:22 - Aug 11 with 1076 viewsHerbivore

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:18 - Aug 11 by portmanking

Do you not think people are talking up the downs because there is a sense of disbelief at the short-termism of a cross-section of fans?

I certainly can't believe what I'm seeing/reading at times. Talk of giving Cook "a month" to sort things out. The idea that this is going to come together in 4 weeks and we're going to steamroller teams is for the birds. It's utter folly. We built sustainable success with Burley over 5 YEARS. We finally have owners that want to build more sustainable success, with prudent acquisitions and investment in infrastructure, yet two games in we're already hearing some fans wanting to rip it all up and start all over!

Yes, getting promoted this year is the primary target. But IMO to heap pressure by saying things like "it's this year or bust" is just unnecessary. Let the team build partnerships and let's see where we go.

Top straw manning going on there.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:23 - Aug 11 with 1064 viewsHerbivore

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:15 - Aug 11 by Bluesky

Bear in mind regarding “minnows” that we have only just started respawning and are not yet big fish ourselves. Be patient.

The minnows made as many changes as us though, that's the point. Morecambe handed out pretty much as many debuts as we did, Newport handed out even more. Gelling becomes less of a mitigating factor when playing other sides who are in the same boat. We should have had more than enough about us to win these first two games.

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:24 - Aug 11 with 1060 viewsimalwayswrong

i agree. hearing supporters moaning as we were not shooting just showed that they have never played the game.... having two walls of yellow in front of the goal and then a keeper pushed the sideways play. When we got behind them (newport) were clueless and went into panic mode.

Dobra turning and running at the defence was for alot of the game our biggest goal threat; Newport got wise and just had people picking him up and at some points he had 3 Newport players around him. Another day Dobra would have scored the second half chance but seconds earlier he got hacked int he build up, ref played on, he got up and made that run to be in got in a positive position!

When norwood went off we essentially went to 10 men with Jackson playing the point striker.... something we all know he isn't that great at and why Newport looked less nervous.

The quality of our passing was great, seeing a match where we get 26 shots, 70% possession etc is like night and day to the Lambert era where the whole game would have been hoof ball to striker and looking to lucky second balls... those were dark days.
Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:25 - Aug 11 with 1055 viewshomer_123

Some of you need to get a grip. on 08:47 - Aug 11 by noggin

Questioning Cook's ability on the back of those two results is ridiculous.

I think if these were Cooks first two competitive games then yes, it would be odd.

It's not - he's been our manager for a little while now - we were pretty poor for his part of last season - he couldn't get anything from our players at all - over and above what Lambert could.

He know has a squad of his choice, which is great, and it's good to see the progress off the pitch and the investment in it. However, that's two poor results to start this season and, even factoring in the new squad, there were some elements that look all to familiar even with completely new personnel in both those matches.

That's not taking away from the positive and improvements we have seen as well.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 9:26]

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:41 - Aug 11 with 1015 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Got to love a flounce about flouncing.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:42 - Aug 11 with 1010 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:23 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

The minnows made as many changes as us though, that's the point. Morecambe handed out pretty much as many debuts as we did, Newport handed out even more. Gelling becomes less of a mitigating factor when playing other sides who are in the same boat. We should have had more than enough about us to win these first two games.

....it was branded 'an easy start' by many.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:46 - Aug 11 with 999 viewsnoggin

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:41 - Aug 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

Got to love a flounce about flouncing.

Or a flounce about a flounce about a flounce.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:48 - Aug 11 with 978 viewstimothyeo

Some of you need to get a grip. on 08:57 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

The board is an excellent microcosm of society right now. Everything has to be a binary. Being pro-Cook and pro the new era seems to entail absolute blind faith and refusing to acknowledge any mistakes or disappointments. Anything else is considered to be flouncing or anti-Cook sentiment. It's seemingly not possible to be excited by the project, hopeful it will succeed, but disappointed that we've started with two poor results. You either have to go all in or you're anti-Cook it seems.
[Post edited 11 Aug 2021 9:01]

Best post I've read for a while, and sums up my feelings big time.

Do I think Cook is a good manager? Of course, he's proven it elsewhere.

Am I excited about the new owners? Of course I am, after what we've suffered.

But do I think Cook has so far been poor for ITFC? I certainly do. Have the results been poor? Of course they have. It's an unfortunate fact.

Am I also a little nervous about the new owners? Of course I am, we've been built up, joyous and excited about the last new owner, and things didn't work out.
Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:51 - Aug 11 with 964 viewsHerbivore

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:42 - Aug 11 by Marshalls_Mullet

....it was branded 'an easy start' by many.

It was an easy start, hence the results being disappointing.

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:55 - Aug 11 with 955 viewsblueears

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:51 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

This.
Some of you need to get a grip. on 10:06 - Aug 11 with 922 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:46 - Aug 11 by noggin

Or a flounce about a flounce about a flounce.

Or a flounce, about a flounce, about a flounce.

Some of you need to get a grip. on 10:11 - Aug 11 with 913 viewsEwan_Oozami

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:23 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

It's easy to gel when you get 11 men behind the ball after scoring early - the bits where we need to gel are:

a) being better at snuffing out counter attacks
b) not letting players just waltz through our lines
c) creating spaces and making runs to cut through packed defences
d) better quality decision making on crossing and finishing...

I'm in the "disappointed with first two results but can see where Cook has improved us playing as a team which can only improve as the season goes on" camp...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Some of you need to get a grip. on 10:29 - Aug 11 with 878 viewsHerbivore

Some of you need to get a grip. on 10:11 - Aug 11 by Ewan_Oozami

It's easy to gel when you get 11 men behind the ball after scoring early - the bits where we need to gel are:

a) being better at snuffing out counter attacks
b) not letting players just waltz through our lines
c) creating spaces and making runs to cut through packed defences
d) better quality decision making on crossing and finishing...

I'm in the "disappointed with first two results but can see where Cook has improved us playing as a team which can only improve as the season goes on" camp...

So gelling only takes time when you're behind in matches? Not sure about that.

I'm in the "we've made some good signings and have a squad capable of going up, but the jury is very much out on whether we'll achieve it based on the evidence so far" camp. I'm not worried but I'm not seeing loads of signs to spark optimism thus far either. I would say I'm hopeful.

Some of you need to get a grip. on 10:40 - Aug 11 with 864 viewsEwan_Oozami

Some of you need to get a grip. on 10:29 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

So gelling only takes time when you're behind in matches? Not sure about that.

I'm in the "we've made some good signings and have a squad capable of going up, but the jury is very much out on whether we'll achieve it based on the evidence so far" camp. I'm not worried but I'm not seeing loads of signs to spark optimism thus far either. I would say I'm hopeful.

I'm not sure that's what I said! :-)

I was referring to people's comments about Morecambe and Newport having heavily changed teams but they seemed to be gelling OK - well yes, it is easier to do that if they score early and park the bus.

We just need to learn how to not concede early and how to break down teams that do get everyone behind the ball. It will be interesting to see how we play if we ever score an early first goal - I would assume Cook would keep going and try to get a second and third, unlike previous recent regimes...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Some of you need to get a grip. on 10:59 - Aug 11 with 836 viewsRobTheMonk

Burton will be interesting. A better side than Morcambe, especially under the guidance of Jimmy Flyod Hasselbaink who worked wonders there. I'm not sure Cook should have had a free hit as such last season considering what JFH got out of that Burton team. It gets brushed over how bad we were towards the end of last season because of how bad Lambert was and Cook's previous managerial record.

We've dominated both games this season, but have been undone by shoddy finishing (last night) and awful defending (Saturday).

Things look to be going in the right direction and it's been a massive rebuild. We quite simply have to start putting teams to the sword and get more aggressive. Norwood, as much of a bell as he is, gets players and fans riled up. Evans to be fair was doing a good job of leading by example too.

The pieces are nearly all there, but still need putting together correctly.
Some of you need to get a grip. on 11:20 - Aug 11 with 807 viewsnoggin

Some of you need to get a grip. on 09:51 - Aug 11 by Herbivore

Define 'easy'.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Some of you need to get a grip. on 11:23 - Aug 11 with 798 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Some of you need to get a grip. on 08:44 - Aug 11 by DanTheMan

How is that flouncing? We had a terrible end to the last season and we've started off with two poor results.

I'm not saying we should be sacking Cook as that is obviously ridiculous but saying the results have been poor isn't flouncing.

yeah, but I didn't say "saying the results have been poor is flouncing."

Read what some are saying (and some are agreeing with) and you'll see there is some definite flouncing.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024