Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Woolf much better last night, perhaps because 09:26 - Aug 11 with 1522 viewsWoolfenthen

He played on right hand side?? Seems to be the one who has to shuffle across to the left each time he partners Nsiala.
Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 09:30 - Aug 11 with 1488 viewsWeirdFishes

You think he was? I think last night confirmed to me we need someone else, made the exact same mistake he did vs Morcambe by trying to take it round their striker which nearly resulted in 2-0 Newport.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 09:32 - Aug 11 with 1471 viewsitfcjoe

That definitely helped him, when you look at his body shape when carrying the ball out, being right footed and drifting from where he picks the ball up i.e. edge of the box, to where Cook wants his CBs to play from which seems to be in almost a position you'd expect the left of a back 3 to be in, he just has about half the pitch shut off because his passing lanes are just shut off because unless he is playing with the outside of his right boot then they just aren't there without turning inside and slowing things down.

Edmundson prefers to play on the right which is a shame, because if we want to play out from the back which Woolfie is capable of need a better balance

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 09:34 - Aug 11 with 1457 viewsitfcjoe

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 09:30 - Aug 11 by WeirdFishes

You think he was? I think last night confirmed to me we need someone else, made the exact same mistake he did vs Morcambe by trying to take it round their striker which nearly resulted in 2-0 Newport.

That happened in the 91st minute when he was trying to keep the ball alive because we were losing clearly.

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 09:34 - Aug 11 with 1450 viewsITFCBlues

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 09:32 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

That definitely helped him, when you look at his body shape when carrying the ball out, being right footed and drifting from where he picks the ball up i.e. edge of the box, to where Cook wants his CBs to play from which seems to be in almost a position you'd expect the left of a back 3 to be in, he just has about half the pitch shut off because his passing lanes are just shut off because unless he is playing with the outside of his right boot then they just aren't there without turning inside and slowing things down.

Edmundson prefers to play on the right which is a shame, because if we want to play out from the back which Woolfie is capable of need a better balance

Still made the same mistakes last night as he did Saturday!

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 09:44 - Aug 11 with 1382 viewsBeckets

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 09:32 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

The EADT piece on Edmundson when he signed said he is right footed but prefers to play on the left. On Saturday I felt Morecambe allowed Toto to have the ball and on a number of occasions he just pumped the ball forward as a result. Longer term I think we should be looking at a Woolfy/Edmundson partnership with both comfortable on the ball.
Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 09:51 - Aug 11 with 1328 viewsWoolfenthen

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 09:44 - Aug 11 by Beckets

The EADT piece on Edmundson when he signed said he is right footed but prefers to play on the left. On Saturday I felt Morecambe allowed Toto to have the ball and on a number of occasions he just pumped the ball forward as a result. Longer term I think we should be looking at a Woolfy/Edmundson partnership with both comfortable on the ball.

Edmundson does appear to prefer to play on the left according to below article, which will hopefully allow Woolf to recapture his best form

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/george-edmundson-profile-after-ipswich
Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 09:53 - Aug 11 with 1306 viewsRadlett_blue

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 09:44 - Aug 11 by Beckets

It's been evident for a while that opponents have worked out that letting Toto have the ball is a good strategy. Ponders on it for ages, before the inevitable hoof.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 09:55 - Aug 11 with 1292 viewsWallingford_Boy

Stuart Watson reckons he had a shocker.

But then he does like to get on player's backs somewhat.

RIP Sir Bobby

Login to get fewer ads

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 09:57 - Aug 11 with 1282 viewsWickets

I have been saying for 3 years we need a decent left sided CB , we had four CB 's last season who were happy only on the right . Fans moaned about McGunness but he was a boy playing his first few games in senior football and was forced on to the left and we cant even consider putting Toto there .
Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 10:00 - Aug 11 with 1263 viewspointofblue

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 09:55 - Aug 11 by Wallingford_Boy

Stuart Watson reckons he had a shocker.

But then he does like to get on player's backs somewhat.

I think a shocker is over-stating Watson’s comment somewhat.

“Luke Woolfenden, the only player to keep his place in the team from the weekend, did have some more casual moments at the back that could have been punished. 'If in doubt, stick it out' just doesn't seem to be in his vocabulary. It's a style that he'll either thrive or die by.”

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/stu-says-itfc-0-newport-1-8226884

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 10:04 - Aug 11 with 1233 viewsWallingford_Boy

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 10:00 - Aug 11 by pointofblue

I think a shocker is over-stating Watson’s comment somewhat.

“Luke Woolfenden, the only player to keep his place in the team from the weekend, did have some more casual moments at the back that could have been punished. 'If in doubt, stick it out' just doesn't seem to be in his vocabulary. It's a style that he'll either thrive or die by.”

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/stu-says-itfc-0-newport-1-8226884

It was more the constant tweets slating him "Woolfenden makes another error, but Newport's shot saved" etc..

RIP Sir Bobby

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 12:43 - Aug 11 with 1102 viewsHeadWestBlue

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 09:34 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

That happened in the 91st minute when he was trying to keep the ball alive because we were losing clearly.

I saw this exactly the same way you did. He would have received even more grief if he would have kicked it into Row Z at that point. One - Nil Down - 91 mins on the clock and down to ten men. Stuart Watsons comments on Twitter did not paint a full picture of the situation. I thought Woolf had a good game last night. He knocked the ball about well, covered well.
Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 12:51 - Aug 11 with 1057 viewshype313

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 10:04 - Aug 11 by Wallingford_Boy

It was more the constant tweets slating him "Woolfenden makes another error, but Newport's shot saved" etc..

True though, he's not tweeting anything false.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 12:53 - Aug 11 with 1052 viewsitfcjoe

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 12:43 - Aug 11 by HeadWestBlue

I saw this exactly the same way you did. He would have received even more grief if he would have kicked it into Row Z at that point. One - Nil Down - 91 mins on the clock and down to ten men. Stuart Watsons comments on Twitter did not paint a full picture of the situation. I thought Woolf had a good game last night. He knocked the ball about well, covered well.

He had 108 touches of the ball last night and gave it away 11 times (7 of which were failed long balls).

Trying to pick passes through 10 Newport shirts was tough, but thought he did well on the ball on the whole

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 12:55 - Aug 11 with 1033 viewshype313

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 12:53 - Aug 11 by itfcjoe

He had 108 touches of the ball last night and gave it away 11 times (7 of which were failed long balls).

Trying to pick passes through 10 Newport shirts was tough, but thought he did well on the ball on the whole

I thought he looked very assured on the ball, he's clearly gifted.

Just need to iron out a few deficiencies, but if he can, he could go on to have a great career.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 14:03 - Aug 11 with 868 viewsVic

He jolly well should have been better - he was playing against Newport’s kids.

No way am I questioning Cook etc - but I have to say that I’m disappointed that our 2nd 11 couldn’t beat Newport’s 2nd 11! Just as I was disappointed that our team containing 8 debutants couldn’t beat a Morecambs team that is in exactly the same state of total rebuild as ours.

I hope that doesn’t make me a flouncer but I am disappointed.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 10:32 - Aug 12 with 658 viewsWickets

Woolf much better last night, perhaps because on 12:43 - Aug 11 by HeadWestBlue

No argument from me .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024